Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Yes or No

Yes
No
Maybe

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24

Author Topic: The Doom of Doomhollow - Year 10 - [Finished]  (Read 51406 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Doomhollow: The Doom Saga - Book 3
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2019, 07:03:20 pm »

Cool, more legends.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2019, 10:33:16 pm »

Fortress Report
Overseer: "Doc" (a pseudonym)
To: Whomsoever it may concern
Date: 1 Hematite, 502

Introduction
Due to the scale of the projects undertaken, far less was accomplished this month than in the past two months. Nevertheless, I shall provide the reader with an update.

Bedrooms
The next major section of the fortress I have ordered is a large wing for more bedrooms. As crowded as we are, I doubt that the migrant wave we saw last month is the last one we will ever see. Thus, I plan to have more than enough bedrooms ready to serve our expanding population. I am considering having multiple wings separate from one another to keep the hallways from becoming too congested. Fig. 1 depicts the plans for the first wing of new bedrooms. Fig. 2 is the plans for a special wing requested by the mayor, has apparently been without proper accommodations for a while now. Given her wholehearted support for my goals, I will happily fulfill her request.

Fig. 1

Fig. 2

Interesting Visitors
A speardwarf who visited our fortress last month put in a petition to reside here for the purpose of hunting monsters in the caverns. Given the violent nature of some of the creatures known to live down there, I figured that it would be useful to have a fortress exterminator on call, and signed off on her petition. Even more notable was a visit from the queen consort of one of the nearby Dwarven kingdoms. It seems that their king's wife is quite the scholar and was willing to brave the wilderness to travel all the way to our small library. Curiously enough, she's not the only eccentric noble to come here to study. Perhaps the nobles feel safe discussing their ideas only in the most far flung enclaves of civilization.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2019, 01:22:53 am »

Fortress Report
Date: 1 Malachite, 502

Introduction
The mysterious eventual recipient of these reports will be happy to know that in the early summer the first bedroom wing has progressed smoothly. Other happenings of note are listed in the following sections.

Magma Forges
I ordered all but the one of the magma glass furnaces to be removed from the lowermost level of the fortress. Seeing as they aren't being used, they are only taking up space that could be used for more smelters and forges. I had one left alone in case we ever needed to make anything out of glass and in hopes that this would keep Ryuken appeased (see footnote 1).

Interesting Behavior
Imic II (see footnote 2) was always what I would describe as a withdrawn individual, spending most of his time reading alone. Whatever his mental state is normally, he slipped even deeper into it during this month. Out of the blue one day he marched into one of the mason's workshop and claimed it for himself, actually throwing the previous user out from the workshop and against the wall. He spent several days locked in that shop, only leaving to haul large boulders of raw galena to his work space. After days of this, he finally emerged bearing an artifact floor hatch. Fig. 1 is a description of this artifact.

Fig. 1

He was kind enough to donate this artifact to The Sands of Doom. Given the imagery on the hatch cover, I am guessing he is still feeling quite bad about the death of the original Imic. My guess is that he wants his artifact to be used for the protection of the fortress; an artifact hatch will keep intruders at bay forever. I had it placed on the top level of the guard tower and locked up tight. Now the tower is fully secure even without having to put a roof on it.

Visitors
Dwarves reported a sighting of a kobold thief on the edge of our territory. It scurried off after being spotted and didn't give us any trouble, but its presence should remind us all that we need to be on watch for all kinds of intruders. On a happier note, a human maceman showed up and petitioned to join us for "soldiering" purposes. I happily accepted his petition and he is now the ninth member of our military. We will need to have special large armor made for him, but his size will be an advantage against most unfriendly creatures.

On the subject of humans, a caravan of human merchants arrived to trade during this month. Their carts—I am proud to say—easily made it through the new entrance to the fortress, and I had our militia standing watch just in case anything was hoping to follow them in. Erin Quill conducted the trading, exchanging goblets, crafts, and cut gems for wood, leather, food, and cloth. We also purchased an iron mace for our new human soldier, which will keep him equipped until we get a steel one made.

Other News
In other news, the mayor who has been so supportive of my policies has been re-elected for another term. Although I am still uncertain about many of the dwarves here, I will take this as a sign that at least a plurality of the dwarves support my plans.

Footnotes:
1. My confidence that this will be successful is very low.
2. Not his real name. See my 1 Granite report.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2019, 09:31:41 am »

Journal of Ryukan

That lowlife the morons put in charge actually destroyed my glass industry! I am beyond livid at this turn of events. With one urist of sand and those Magma Forges, we could've built an Empire! Glass blocks, Glass Goblets, Glass Whatevers. I will be sending a very... polite... letter to our lovely Overseer in hopes I can change his mind. If not... let's not discuss that.

Spoiler: Letter to the Overseer (click to show/hide)

In other news, I do wish to establish a Study for myself somewhere away from peeping eyes. Maybe discretely commission some glass products from our few remaining Glassworkers to help me begin a simple Lab. I need to get started on my work sooner or later and with this fortress growing larger every season, I need to hurry up, lest I fail...

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2019, 06:33:07 pm »

Wow, how poetic.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2019, 09:32:28 pm »

Fortress Report
Date: 1 Galena, 502

Introduction
With the conclusion of the month of Malachite, I have been overseer for five months. Until just one month ago, I had not had to deal with any true crises. As of this writing, I can no longer make such a claim.

Security Breach
Kivish Mothgems' shriveled husk was found in her bedroom. Every drop of blood was drained from her body. This would have been enough to let us know how she died, but the twisted expression on her face preserving the sheer horror she experienced in her last moments of gave further confirmation to the fact that one of our citizens is a blood-sucking monster disguised as a dwarf. It seems that my suspicions were correct; for as much preparation I made against external threats, the truest danger will come from within these walls.

I had been too negligent in getting a proper fortress guard set up. I immediately had one assembled under our new captain of the guard. He has requested a small office space for himself, along with a place to train with his squad and jail to keep the vampire when it is found. Fig. 1 is the plan for the captain's quarters. Fig. 2 is the plan for the training area. Fig. 3 is the plan for the first jail cell.

Fig. 1

Fig. 2

Fig. 3

As a final measure, I have had all bedroom doors removed. If the bloodsucker tries to strike again, it will not be able to hide its identity.

New Faces
A bit of good news came when one of our miners gave birth to a baby boy, as if to take Kivish's place. At around the same time as this birth, another wave of migrants arrived. This one was much smaller than the first. The professions of the migrants are listed below:
  • 4 rangers
  • 2 fishery workers
  • 1 farmer
  • 1 shearer
  • 1 potash maker
  • 1 legendary stonecrafter
  • 1 bowyer
  • 1 child

I had all four rangers and the farmer enlisted in the fortress guard; it needs all the help it can get.

Glass Industry Update
Ryuken presented me with the diplomatic request that at least two glassmakers be kept active. Although I don't share Ryuken's enthusiasm for the glass industry and am not particularly inclined to do any favors for dwarves whom I have good reason to believe have it out for me, I don't think this is a good time to make enemies. It would be good for the fortress if the current leader got along with the previous leaders, and it's not as if we have any shortage of sand or magma. I've designated a section of the lowermost fortress level to be expanded to allow for more magma glass furnaces, but this expansion will be kept at a low priority. Fig. 4 shows the plan for this expansion.

Fig. 4

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2019, 10:28:42 pm »

Fortress Report
Date: 1 Limestone, 502

Introduction
The end of summer was relatively uneventful. We had another birth, but otherwise most of the progress was in long-term projects I have already discussed in previous reports. I have spent most of my time thinking about our vampire problem, waiting anxiously for its next attack. I have been operating on as little sleep as I can manage. It doesn't take a doctor to know that sleep deprivation is bad for you, but the fact that I am a doctor makes this behavior inexcusable. Still, we won't know who our vampire enemy is until another unlucky dwarf becomes its snack and I don't intend to be that snack.

Library
Kivish's death did nothing to steer away the academics who continue to push their way into our cramped library. In order to keep this report from being without any real content, I have included a sketch of the library (fig. 1) and a list of the books on the shelves at the moment.

Fig. 1

Introduction to the Eye: A manual on the anatomy of the eye.

Did Anatomies Falter?: A very short manual on comparative anatomical studies.

Absence: A Brief History: A very short manual on a symbol for nothingness.

Truth About Self-Examination: A short essay about the nuances of introspection.

A World of Art: A manual on the value of art.

Explorations of Trade Maps: A manual that manages to explain economic maps with a touch of melancholy.

Mastering the Rising of the Sun: A manual on the rising of the sun in relation to the seasons.

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2019, 04:14:47 am »

From the Journal of Striker. Blacksmith, hammer enthusiast. 2nd of Galena, 502.

A dwarf was found dead in her bed, shriveled and completely drained of blood
T That can only mean one thing. There's a vampire in the fortress...

I swear if i find out who this monster is, i will take a hammer made out of silver and turn its face into little chuncks of flesh, meat and bone.
This is why i accepted Doc's offer to be a Hammerer, so that i can dish out justice to monsters like that.

The overseer ordered all bedroom doors to be taken off their hinges. That way, maybe others will awaken to the commotion and find out who the vampire is should a dwarf be attacked.
Sacrificing one of us for the greater good i guess... I'm conflicted, while the blood-sucking bastard needs to be found, this feels like a pointless waste of life.
But i've come to expect this from our current overseer... She always seems so... cold and distant. So clinical... is the best way i can describe it.
I just hope i wont be the unlucky one who gets to be the vampire's snack, i still have hammering to do in my life. Especially the vampire's face.

But... i can't hammer the thing in my sleep and that's exactly when they strike... when we're all asleep.

And the worst thing about vampires, is that they could be any one of us.
In response to the vampire attack, the overseer formed a militia, but any of them might be the vampire.
The overseer herself could be the vampire... I could be the vampire...
What if i am the vampire and i just cant remember it?

Oh no. No no no no no... What would become of me if this were the case?
NO! That makes no sense...
I need get back to work in the forge... maybe it'll help me take my mind off this...

OOC: I'm not really a good RP'er but i want to at least try and add something to this fortress. Also i was a little late on this, so i dated this before the latest update.
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2019, 10:46:55 pm »

Fortress Report
Overseer: Doc
To: Nobody
Date: Who cares?

I sat in on the meeting between the mayor and the overseer and I had the chance to ask him to whom I would be giving all of these reports and do you know what he said? He said that he had no idea what I was talking about! I've been wasting my time writing these detailed reports to no-one! There is no unknown benefactor of this fortress who gives a damn about my observations. I've been wasting my time writing and writing and writing and there's that vampire is still lurking about and its probably planning something and I still haven't slept much in months and

I forgot where I was heading with this.

Introduction
A lot happened. The vampire still hasn't shown itself again and I still haven't had a good night's rest. Some of the citizens are complaining about the lack of doors. They obviously don't know how important it is that we have witnesses to the next attack. Do they even want the vampire to be caught? Are there co-conspirators with the vampire in the fortress? Security is still not good enough to ensure fortress safety. The guard captain came to me at some point to tell me that the jail isn't big enough and I agree. We need more chains to keep anyone who's a threat to our safety under control. I've sketched the plans for the bigger jail below.

We also had the caravan from the capital arrive. Erin Quill did the trading and the mayor and I talked with the liaison. Such a waste of time, it turns out. You, the reader, don't even exist. There is no benevolent financier watching over the progress of this fortress. No-one's going to come and save us when the vampire is sucking up the last drops of blood from our bodies.

Other Stuff
We got more migrants. Two farmers, a milker, a bowyer, two rangers, a mechanic, and a child. A mercenary was also granted permission to stay to help our militia. There's no way of knowing if she's a vampire or not herself. I had enough of all these strange people coming in and out of the fortress and banned everyone but citizens and long-term residents from all of our major locations.

Other than that, there's nothing to say. I've wasted enough time. No more reports ever. I have a vampire to catch.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2019, 08:35:30 am »

Journal of Dark One

It seems that we have a vampire lurking in our fortress, how unfortunate. The 'Doc' had all the bedroom doors removed all around Doomhollows as a safety measure. It's obvious that someone is going to die anyway, removing the doors instead of letting us close ourselves for the night is like inviting a kobold to our gem stockpiles! Even though I feel that the Elder One is watching upon me, this might not be enough against this threat. As such, I decided to write the letter to the overseer and pass it underneath her quarter doors.

Spoiler: To 'Doc' (click to show/hide)

On another note, I overheard that the reports written by overseers are available to be read by everyone, and no one really keeps track of them. I took all of them from the manager's office to read them thoroughly, and I'll return them later. These reports give a lot of insight on overseer's work. Perhaps I shall take the office one day? I'm not sure yet. The reports by 'Doc' are written with near surgical precision, there'll be a lot of reading ahead of me...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 08:37:01 am by Dark One »

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2019, 03:44:44 pm »

Fortress Report
To: My fellow dwarves
Date: 20 Moonstone, 502

Introduction
The reader of this report is probably wondering why this report even exists. I did, after all, end my last report with the frustrated declaration that I would not ever produce any more reports. However, my mind is clearer now and it seems that my reports haven't been completely useless after all. I'm not sure who it is, but someone has been borrowing them. Hopefully they get some use out of them. I still don't entirely trust all the dwarves here, obviously, but there's nothing in the reports that compromises my personal safety. But I digress, I will address my last reports to the dwarves of this fortress. Anyone who wants to read them, especially future overseers, is free to consult them as they please. Hopefully they will use them to better the fortress.

Fortress Security Update
Regarding the topic of the vampire, I've decided to put the whole issue on hold. After finally collapsing into a long slumber after months of sleep deprivation, upon awaking I began to seriously reflect on why there have been no more vampire attacks in over a season. It seems clear to me, as of this writing, that the vampire was a visitor who is no longer even here. If I am proven wrong with another attack, I will immediately go back to searching for the vampire, but for now I feel that it is safe to give the bedrooms doors again. This was a very unpopular policy anyway and I'm sure is be happy that it is finally over.

On the topic of fortress security, the "Dark One" personally requested to be allowed to join the militia. I granted this request, as it needed a tenth member anyway. I wasn't sure if the former wood cutter would appreciate being enlisted as a macedwarf, but we needed a sparring partner for the human and I figured that the "Dark One" wasn't in a position to be too picky. A pair of newly-trained war dogs has also recently joined our security force. They are currently standing watch against any threats that hope to sneak into our fortress. Fig. 1 shows the dogs keeping watch near the drawbridge.

Fig. 1

Artifact
Litast the glassmaker recently finished work on an artifact green glass chain. Fig. 2 is a description of this artifact.

Fig. 2

Given the skill she has gained by completing this artifact, she is one of the two glassmakers I am keeping active and she has been given her own private furnace.

Fortress Growth
Now that I am fairly confident that a dwarf can lay his head down to rest without becoming a monster's snack here in Doomhollow, I have planned out an expansion to the bedroom wing, which will connect to an expanded section dedicated to more temples. Fig. 3 shows the plans for this expansion.

Fig. 3

During this month, we also received a message that a new settlement has been established about a day's travel to the south. It is likely that the great care I have taken in making this fortress secure has given the dwarves of this new settlement confidence that we will be able to protect them from any hostile invasions from the goblins in the north. Fig. 4 contains the text of the letter we received informing us of the settlement. Fig. 5 shows where this new settlement is on the map in relation to Doomhollow.

Fig. 4

Fig. 5

I no longer feel it is necessary to provide monthly reports, given how close I am to the end of the year. I shall write one more report at the close of the year and then I shall give up control of the fortress to someone else, as is the custom here.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2019, 04:15:01 pm »

EMERGENCY FORTRESS REPORT
Date: 8 Opal, 502

The moment I let my guard down, my enemy struck. I opened the doors to the hospital this morning and I found the drained body of Avuz the monster slayer lying on the ground. The vampire is still in the fortress and we're going to need to find a way to track it down and kill it.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2019, 05:47:22 pm »

OOC: Here's the save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14431
It looks like Drazoth was never actually dorfed. If he takes his turn, he can do that first thing.

Fortress Report
Date: 28 Obsidian, 502

Introduction
This is my last report as overseer. I hope that it will serve my successor well.

More Hillocks
We received letters from two new settlements founded near the first. It seems as if the success of Doomhollow has prompted several new expeditions to this area of the world. Figs. 1 and 2 show the letters from the new settlements. Figs. 3 and 4 show their location on the map.

Fig. 1

Fig. 2

Fig. 3

Fig. 4

The Caverns
Before her untimely murder at the hands of the blood-sucking monster, the monster slayer had been pestering me about being let into the caverns. As such, I had spent a good deal of time having a secure entrance to the lowermost caverns prepared. Now that she is dead, I see little reason to have it opened, but if my successor disagrees, the drawbridge can be controlled from the dining room. The traps currently in place may not be effective against some of the creatures known to lurk in such deep caverns; my successor may want to consider replacing them. Fig. 5 is a drawing of the entry gate into the caverns.

Fig. 5

New Artifact
The last artifact of the year was made by Obok, another glassmaker. It is a green glass earring that she has claimed as a family heirloom. Fig. 6 is a description of this artifact.

Fig. 6

Much like the last glassmaker to make an artifact, Obok has been given private control over one of our two magma glass furnaces.

Unfinished Projects
Given how much I had to accomplish during my overseership, several projects I started still have yet to be completed. Much of the bedroom wing still needs to be smoothed and furnished. The same can be said for the jail, the dining room, the new stockpile area, and the new workshop area. Furthermore, the militia and fortress guard are in need of full sets of steel armor. Lastly, the vampire is still at large and will likely strike again at its earliest convenience. I leave it to my successor to solve this problem.

I will select the next overseer first thing in the morning. The dwarf I choose will probably be the first one to read this report. To this dwarf I simply say: good luck.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2019, 06:50:56 pm »

Journal of Dark One
28th Obsidian

I heard that some glassmaker crafted a legendary glass chain, I bet that Ryu would be proud! What's more, a couple of hillocks have been founded to the south of Doomhollows. Perhaps if the Elder One and fate allows, I will seek retirement in one of these? Anyways, my request has been granted and I've been appointed to the military... as a maceman, and I have to train with a human. But that's for the better I think, I'll get a lot of strength after sparring with someone much taller than me, and macedwarves often prove useful against undead - and this fortress has a vampire somewhere in it! Speaking of which, it was quiet for a while now, the living quarters were enlarged and doors came back! But I heard rumors that the bloodsucker striked again!

By the evening I went to return the reports I took only to meet 'Doc' handing some new reports to the fortress' manager. 'Mind if I take them for a night?' I asked. It seemed that she felt some kind of relief that someone was actually reading them. Well, I think that I'd feel the same on Doc's place. I also had to assure her that I'll return the papers before the new overseer is appointed.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2019, 07:05:19 pm »

Journal of Ryukan, 20 Moonstone, 502

Journal, I can not contain myself. It is absolutely breathtaking, pure ageless beauty. I can not even begin to describe it. A Green Glass Chain, except... it's indestructible. Totally immune to damage, never to lose it's sheen or soft unnatural glow. I felt tears rolling down my cheeks upon seeing it. The fruits of my labor (well the common folk's labor, but same difference) are starting to become more and more evident.

I must also confess a vision dearest journal. The One came to me in my sleep and showed me a vision. I now know the true purpose of this chain, the holiest of relics, the unbreaking.

We will use it to bind the vampire that stalks our halls and seal them away forever and ever until the end of ages.

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24