Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Yes or No

Yes
No
Maybe

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24

Author Topic: The Doom of Doomhollow - Year 10 - [Finished]  (Read 51589 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doomhollow: The Doom Saga - Book 3
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2019, 08:21:06 pm »

If it makes you feel any better, my curse is my lack of micromanagement getting random dwarves killed, that and sieges showing up instantly and just staying there, and also just swimming indefinitely in the water on the map and murdering wild animals while they wait

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2019, 10:03:24 pm »

Ah, that's much better.  I really need to clean this place more often, though I guess I'd need to be awake more often to do that.  Anyway, what's going on in that fortress I was interested in when I first woke?  Better grab a host and have a look......

I've got the save, will start things tomorrow.  Might take a while, as things at home are busy to say the least.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2019, 03:02:38 pm »

Reg requests that you give all the legendary dwarves in the fort the title "_____ Legend".

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: The Whisperings of Doomhollow
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2019, 03:43:51 pm »

I edited the OP and updated the Table of Contents.
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2019, 04:10:33 pm »

Whelp, I haven't been paying attention since.. page 3, I think.
Time to get back to reading :p
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2019, 06:07:09 pm »

Several months ago, in the bedroom of Imic II

The Dwarf sat, alone, in his room. The Book, the object of his curiosity, obsession, and confusion, lay before him. Beside it sat a bowl of piping hot stew. The stew was made from... something. There was meat and probably vegetables, but it was hard to tell, and at the end of the day, not worth it to ask. The stews were always delicious, and that was all the answer anyone really needed. As he sat, pondering the work laid out before him, there was a knock on the door.
         ‘Come in.’ He barely noticed himself saying the words, it was almost a surprise to him when the door opened and the Bookkeeper came in.
         ‘This is the late Imic’s, and is now yours. We found it in a hidden part of his room.’
The stack contained mostly papers and clothing, with a few odds and ends to spice it up. It would probably take some time to sort through it all. He sighed.
         ‘All right, thank you for bringing it here. Could I-‘ he started, but the Bookkeeper, once emptied of her load, disappeared to return to her work. He sighed again. He was tired, and his mind couldn’t stop thinking about the book, and about the sad ending of Imic I. His mind flashed back to, not long ago, when he made the hatch cover. Maybe this person had lived in some now-ruined Fortress, and he had come here after his friends had gone. Maybe he was a refugee from some distant continent, speaking an unknown dialect of Dwarfish. Maybe he was just a crazy orphan with a thing for making codes. Imic II, it seemed, was the only person with any interest in Imic I. No-one had known him very well or knew much about him, except that he was reserved, generally pleasant, enjoyed dark humour, and swore like a Miner who worked the day shift in a surface village. He never really spoke of any past, never revealed any juicy little storylets about his childhood, never engaged in drunken reminiscing, never told anyone anything, and no-one had ever thought to ask. Other than a few jokes remembered and repeated, as well as the first tunnels of the fortress, nothing remained of him now, except this book, and the hatch cover propecting the very peak of the Fortress’s gate. It was an intriguing mystery, but it was an intoxicating one. Books and acrolls and advice on codes, on language, on history, and more had all simply fallen flat of what he needed. He wanted an answer, he wanted an ending to this... Confusing mess of a story.
         He sat there, trying to justify his obsession with this incredibly unimportant detail, for some time. But as his arguments expanded, and this whole endevour seemed less and less important, he felt the distress well up inside of him. Why was he really doing this. Why did any of this matter? Why? Why was this any of his business? Was he trying to make himself feel better for murdering someone? Was he trying to pity himself? Why was this any of his right to do, after what he did?
         And with that thought, the sound of the old Imic’s body breaking under the falling rocks quietly echoed as the memories of the last moment began to worm their way through the seams of his focus, overpowering all thought under their leaden weight. Under the barrage of sound, the cracking of bone welled up in his mind. He choked back tears as the broken body was dug up again by the memories of his comrades as he stood, paralyzed, staring at the fellow Dwarf that he had killed. He hadn’t screamed as the rocks hit him. His corpse had looked almost peaceful, under the blood. There had just been a crunch. A sickening, echoing, tortured crunch. The tears came down freely, as his mind began to flash the thoughts, the events, the memory, over and over again in his head. Unimportant. Obsessed. Stupid. Worthless. Murderer.
Crash.
thump.
crunch.

As he cried, and cried, his food grew colder and colder. Its smell became sickening. The pile of papers and clothes would remain untouched, hidden until nearly a third of the way into the next year. If he had looked just a little sooner, the letter that Imic I had left in his pocket containing the brief few paragraphs of his last will and testament would have been found much sooner, and many, many questions would hqve been answered much, much before they eventually were, and a small piece of the dark history of the Fortress of Doomhollow would have been given a satisfying ending long before it eventually came. Small to many, but to the dozen or so people it affected in the end, it meant the world. Perhaps more.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2019, 08:45:13 pm »

Any updates coming soon?
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2019, 01:00:35 am »

Any updates coming soon?

Talked with Drazoth, said he'll get his update and save up tomorrow, if not then he'll be skipped

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2019, 06:29:16 am »

Sorry I'm late, work and stuff at home has been extremely busy.  Here's the save, I'll get the write up done when i get home from work:  http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14441
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2019, 12:20:39 pm »

ok, message sent to PsychoAngel, told him to start playing when he wanted but to wait on his write up until Drazoth gets his done. Let's not start this trainwreck early tho, so try and get it done ASAP Drazoth  ;D

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2019, 06:50:02 pm »

Sorry I'm late, work and stuff at home has been extremely busy.  Here's the save, I'll get the write up done when i get home from work:  http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14441
Are you sure this is the right save? It seems to be only a few days into mid-spring.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2019, 08:02:24 pm »

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2019, 07:54:33 am »

Do not try him mortal.

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2019, 03:31:52 pm »

Yeah, it's the right save.  I've been working a lot, and have been trying to get the house ready to sell.  I haven't had much time to myself, and what time i've had, most of it i've been to exhausted to try and fort dwarves.  Anyway, let's start this write up. 

1st Granite:

Alright, let's see if I remember how to do this.....  I think I just pick a target and then..

"Hey, what's going on?"

Oh nothing, I'm just claiming your body as my own for the next little while, and by little while I mean possibly until your violent death.  there we go, host obtained.  Now, I do believe that the overseership is up for grabs.  Why don't I just help my self.

2nd Granite:

Let's see what's going on here. Hmmm, someone let all the miners all assigned to hauling duties, lets undo that....  We really need more bedrooms, can't even tell when the last time this body slept on something other than the floor, let's get some beds built and some doors for the rooms....  Huh, an intruder?

"Hey, militia, maybe go exterminate that pest and... Oh, it ran away already?  Good job then I guess."

5th Granite:

Just got news that a new settlement was founded nearby.  Called FigureRoared or something like that?  Neat.

[/spoiler]

14th Granite:

Some elves just arrived to trade.  I'll get the broker to get any and all booze, food and interesting animals from them.  Other than that, can't think of anything we'd need from them.

15th Granite:

The Mayor just ended a Mandate.  What he was mandating I have no clue, but he seems to be in a good enough mood, so I guess that we met it?  No matter, we need more than one carpenter's workshop.  Same for masonry, I'll order them made.

19th Granite:

We just hit gold down in the mines! 

[/spoiler]

Not sure if I want some gold furniture for my room, or if that'd be too tacky.  Eh, doesn't look like we hit much anyway, so i guess it can be used for something else.

[Date Unknown, Sometime Mid-Spring]

Hmm, Hey, what's happening?
"Give me my body back Jackass!"
Hey, I haven't even done anything interesting yet!  Let go, I stole that fair and square!
"Much better.  Hey, what am I doing as the overseer?  I can't do this job!  I quit!  I'm going back to my carving, maybe that'll help me keep my new friend quiet..."
I wouldn't count on it.... 

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2019, 07:12:09 pm »

Images didn't load  :'(

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24