Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Yes or No

Yes
No
Maybe

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24

Author Topic: The Doom of Doomhollow - Year 10 - [Finished]  (Read 51572 times)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: Doomhollow: The Doom Saga - Book 3
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2019, 12:57:38 pm »

Here's the ASCII Save: Here
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2019, 02:49:27 am »

Journal of Dark One Osthathel, the 1st of Granite

I've been thinking about the state of our outpost lately. Even though he was a fool that could mistake a group of migrants for a siege, Ryu was a good expedition leader.

We built this place from the ground up, and his idea to set up glassmaking industry using resources that we have aplenty was brilliant! We were able to commence trade with the very first caravan that came to us!

That's a bad sign, Ryu's resignation. He knew that others spoke with me about him. But there are things that worry me much more than who bears the rutile hat upon his head. I'm not sure whether anyone other felt it, that chilly breeze from the north. I felt it when I was walking out to see the migrants, and something struck me. I had a vision, a horrible vision. Fire and brimstone, blood and sweat, flesh and bone. The Elder one spoke with me, yet I do not remember what he said. As I awakened, 'Follow Ryu' was echoing in my mind.

For all I know, others said that I've been out of mind for a few days. Apparently, I had made a chestnut barrel of unbelievable craftsmanship.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 02:51:30 am by Dark One »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2019, 09:29:00 am »

I need a Dorfing. Someone exotic and weird. You know what to do.
do you want this friendly and optimistic beekeeper or this selfish gelder

Among dwarves, those who hold the most status are the craftsdwarves. Their work is what keeps dwarven society alive. Even the mightiest of soldiers is helpless without armor or weapons. But among the craftdwarves, there are those who produce such fine work that they hold renown even over their fellows: legends. I am one of those. I am Reg, Metal Legend. My skill has earned me the title of overseer. I shall use it to spread my works across the continent.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 10:10:46 am by TheFlame52 »

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2019, 10:40:02 am »

do you want this friendly and optimistic beekeeper or this selfish gelder
Dude, I could go for bees.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2019, 12:07:25 pm »

You know what, sign me up for a turn

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2019, 06:59:17 pm »

Oh shit my computer restarted and lost a few months, but the summer autosave should still be there.

Dude, I could go for bees.
You're a beekeeper now. I'm busy with other things, so no bees yet.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2019, 03:04:21 pm »

Granite 1
First, some things that have been bothering me.
 - Our founders, the dwarves with some of the most useful skills, have been relegated to hauling. They won't be doing that any more.
 - We're relying on coke for smelting, and there isn't much of that in this fortress. We've run out of bituminous coal, both mined and not. I've ordered the digging of a deep stairwell, and we'll hopefully strike the earth's blood.
 - We don't have a butcher's or a tanner's. How these vital shops have been left out of the fort's design is unknown. I've ordered a pair built.

Granite 17
Elves have arrived to trade. Asking around, it seems our main export is glass goblets. I've ordered many of them brought to the depot.

Slate 2
Finishing up trading with the elves. A few stone mugs paid for a warthog sow and some exotic fruits. They had better bring more next year. Also, a hammerdwarf petitioned to join the fortress. I allowed her, as our military is sadly lacking. And by that I mean we don't have one. Do I have to do everything?

Slate 9
Migrants have arrived. Here are their skills:
 - A fish cleaner and scholar. Apparently quite a good one as well.
 - Another fish cleaner. Useless.
 - A glassmaker. He'll fit right in.
 - A trapper. Also useless.
 - A papermaker and hunter.
 - A "monk" who's a speardwarf, apparently. Congratulations on your new position of militia commander.
 - The son of the papermaker and monk.
 - The Stone Legend Catten Wordshalls!
 - Catten's wife, a fisherdwarf.
 - A tanner and cook.
 - The tanner's son.
 - A doctor. Congratulations on your position of chief medical dwarf. See if you can find the hospital.
 - A tanner and herbalist.
 - Another doctor, with different skills. Also good.
 - That doctor's daughter.
 - A fisherdwarf.
 - A hunter.
 - A beekeeper. I think there's like three of them running around now.
 - A very good chemist. That's great and all, but can you make anything useful? I didn't think so.
 - Another glassmaker. That's more like it.
 - An animal trainer. May be useful someday.
 - A fisherdwarf and trader. Might be a good backup broker if the other one's taking a nap.
 - Yet another useless fisherdwarf.
 - A butcher, tanner, and planter. That's more like it!
The fort's size has nearly doubled, to 46 dwarves. Ryukan made some plans to expand the living quarters, but they's far from sufficient for this increase in population. I've expanded them.

[There was supposed to be a picture here but I lost it somewhere]

Slate 21
Our Pick Legends have far too much work for only two dwarves. I've given them three apprentices out of the useless fisherdwarves. I'm making picks now, as well as a spear and sheild for the militia commander.

Hematite 12
Human traders have arrived. The fort's industry stops briefly to haul goblets to the depot.

Hematite 17
Erin and I traded our best goblets for some liquor, books, and fruit. We're having a bit of a thirst problem, but it shouldn't stay long.

Hematite 21
Steel production has begun, slowly. The miners have yet to find magma.

Malachite 3
I've ordered the extraction of all the revealed veins down in the mines. There's all kinds of iron, silver, copper, gems, and even some platinum.

Malachite 4
Happy day! Kel Luckyoils has just made the fort's first masterwork glass goblet. With it in hand, she and I drank a toast of sewer brew to her accomplishment. May she become a legend, and her work spread across the continent!

Malachite 24
A week ago migrants arrived. I missed it. 56 dwarves.

Galena 1
A fisherdwarf was possessed and is making something out of rocks.

Galena 4
The miners have pierced a cavern, but it appears to be the second one. The main shaft will have to move slightly to avoid the water.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2019, 06:04:43 pm »

Sweet. Mind posting some screenshots for us?

You know what, sign me up for a turn

You're added

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2019, 06:14:42 pm »

I'm trying, but Imgur keeps eating them. I might find a different hosting site.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2019, 12:27:45 am »

- A doctor. Congratulations on your position of chief medical dwarf. See if you can find the hospital.
Don't forget to dorf me if you haven't already.

As soon as you get someone with any medical skills can you dwarf me as "Doc"? Male or female doesn't matter.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2019, 08:47:00 am »

As soon as you get someone with any medical skills can you dwarf me as "Doc"? Male or female doesn't matter.
done

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2019, 01:50:04 pm »

Galena 17
That fisherdwarf finished up his artifact. It's a figurine depicting the fortress's founding. It's quite valuable, being encrusted with several kinds of gems, but it isn't useful and he gained no skill from it. Everyone knows the most valuable part of an artifact is the skill gained making it.

Limestone 7
Autumn is here, and the dwarven caravan will be arriving soon. The miners have reached warm stone, but I haven't ordered any digging.

I've sent our fledgeling military out into the one cavern we found to do some exploring. They report many kinds of gems and ores. The reports are so many that I can't make much sense of them. There's gold, silver, copper, tin, nickel, and even some platinum and diamond! With flux, iron, and zinc higher up, this fortress will someday be rich in metals. If we survive.

The squad also discovered a deep pit leading down into the cavern below. We can see enough to dig to it from the main stairwell.

Limestone 12
The dwarven caravan has arrived as predicted.

Limestone 20
Ryukan and I met with the outpost liaison. For next year I requested drinks, seeds, and lye. Then we traded with the merchants, buying drinks, a few seeds, cloth, and a few books. I've been pestered for months by dwarves needing bags to collect sand, but we have no cloth, no thread, and no pig tails. I resolve to change this.

I paid for the whole load with a single masterwork bin of exceptional and masterwork goblets.

Limestone 23
The squad returned from the lower cavern to report that it was much like the upper, but with one addition - adamantine! They're both out in the water, but we can solve that easily enough. For now, though, the whole cavern has been sealed off from the fortress. No need to have two caverns open, when our military is two competent dwarves.

Limestone 28
We're out of coal. I knew this would happen someday. The upper forges will be dismantled and moved down to the magma sea. Excavation will begin immediately. I'm also digging an ore dump from the mines to speed ore hauling.

Sandstone 14
Migrants.
 - lye maker
 - great metalsmith
 - gem cutter
 - animal caretaker
 - furnace operator/smith
 - dyer
 - glassmaker
 - trader
 - child
 - fisher
 - farmer/cook
 - child
Useless, except that metalsmith. Even so, he's only my backup.

Sandstone 20
Forges are dug out. But not complete. Not quite yet.

Sandstone 28
Horrors! During the digging of the ore shaft, Imic was crushed by a fall of boulders from above. The dwarf responsible, formerly named Litast, has taken the name Imic II in his memory. They say a dwarf isn't dead so long as his name is remembered...

To prevent another accident like this, Scourge will finish the shaft alone. One of the new migrants will be given Imic's pick.

Timber 4
The shaft is done, and all the ore in the fort has been ordered dumped down it. I'll set up a minecart to do it later. For now, though, we will smelt some of the copious ore we have. Also, a burial area has been dug out, and Imic buried.

Moonstone 1
Winter is upon us.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2019, 05:02:19 pm »

‘You didn’t need to rename yourself, you know.’
‘You say that, but Imic had no family. He had no friends except the lads on the cart. I didn’t know him well. I don’t think anyone really did... I feel sorry for the poor bastard. Died alone, and I killed him. But a Dwarf’s not dead as long as his name’s remembered.’
‘So ye’re certain?’ The reply came.
‘Yes.’
‘Well, then, you should have this.’
The first figure passed a large leather-bound codex to the newly re-christened Imic II. It was decorated with Silver, and there was odd writing on the cover. It had the unmistakable look of a book that was often used, but well cared-for nonetheless, the odd ink stain notwithstanding.
‘And this is?...’
‘Found it on the old Imic’s body. I can’t make head nor tail of th’ language, though. It’s pretty much the only thing he owned other than ‘is clothes.’

Imic II took the book, and cautiously opened it. It was in no recognizable alphabet, and even so, the handwriting was very obviously atrocious. However, as the book was flipped through, the Dwarf began to notice a few things. Firstly, the handwriting was visibly steadier than the later pages, secondly, there were blueprints and charts filling it. Extra little pages and bookmarks fell put from their hidden nooks and crannies as the book was flipped through, and thr Dwarf’s curiosity grew more and more. Imic had clearly been a skilled artist, and a decent designer, too. As the Dwarf leafed forther towards the start of the book, one piece of paper stuck out. It had a sketch of Imic I, along with a few dozen other people, all posing in armour, carrying massive Warhamers. Imic was... somewhat taller in this image, and younger, too. His beard was much shorter, and he looked happy. The other faces revealed something, however. Some were encircled, some had their faces crossed out with red ink. All had notes written below them. Notably, the individual at the centre of the sketch, the leader, has arrows pointing to him, and some annotations to smaller notes, some of which had been crossed out and replaced with new notes. He looked a bit like Imic, only older, and with sharper features.
The Dwarf’s reading was interrupted.
‘Are you just gonna sit there, or what?’
Imic II, without saying a word, ran to the bedrooms, found the door which had Imic Ii recently re-inscribed on it, and sat on the bed beyond it. The book was propped open. And the Dwarf read. And read. And read.
And read.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2019, 08:05:36 pm »

You have about 3 days left Flame, just a friendly reminder  ;D

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2019, 01:09:12 pm »

yeah alright i'll finish up today
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24