Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Yes or No

Yes
No
Maybe

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24

Author Topic: The Doom of Doomhollow - Year 10 - [Finished]  (Read 51550 times)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: The Whisperings of Doomhollow
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2019, 09:01:33 pm »

PsychoAngel has a couple more days until he's skipped in favor for Scourge.
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2019, 04:02:48 pm »

I never said to sign me up, I only wanted a Dorf.

I don't really have time right now for a turn or RP anyway.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2019, 10:19:56 pm »

I am going to have to drop my turn, as much as I have an interesting narrative idea, with my current mental state I doubt I'd get the thing done quickly

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2019, 10:55:37 pm »

I never said to sign me up, I only wanted a Dorf.

I don't really have time right now for a turn or RP anyway.

Ooops, my bad  :-\

I am going to have to drop my turn, as much as I have an interesting narrative idea, with my current mental state I doubt I'd get the thing done quickly

np man

Moony, you're up!

We also need more Players  :o

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: The Whisperings of Doomhollow (Overseers Wanted)
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2019, 03:38:56 pm »

I'll take another turn, on condition that Moony goes. Or someone. I just want at least three turns between my first and second turn.

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2019, 04:14:17 pm »

i wish i could take a turn, i really do. But i have literally no experience in fortmode.(i play adventurer almost exclusively when i do play DF and i've never had a fort survive for more than a year(It died to starvation))

And i couldn't do reports if my life depended on it.
Not to mention, i am actually IRL busy with various projects.

Sorry.
(Yes i am still watching this thread, im only hoping that my terrible attempts at RP didn't murder it. )
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2019, 05:49:21 am »

Did I hear someone say "Overseers wanted?"

I've been considering trying my hand at this succession fort business again. Sign me up for a turn whenever there's a free slot.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2019, 06:07:34 pm »

I'll take another turn, on condition that Moony goes. Or someone. I just want at least three turns between my first and second turn.
I'm also fine with taking another turn at some point in the future, but yeah there should be at least three years of in-game time between my first turn and a possible second. Since Drazoth only played a little bit, three more people should go before me at least.

i wish i could take a turn, i really do. But i have literally no experience in fortmode.(i play adventurer almost exclusively when i do play DF and i've never had a fort survive for more than a year(It died to starvation))

And i couldn't do reports if my life depended on it.
Not to mention, i am actually IRL busy with various projects.

Sorry.
(Yes i am still watching this thread, im only hoping that my terrible attempts at RP didn't murder it. )
Succession forts run by people with varying skill levels make for good reads. If you're ever not busy, you should give it a try. Also I thought your RPing was fine.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2019, 07:06:11 am »

I may take a turn, though I'm not sure yet. And it's been a while since I played DF so...

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2019, 07:34:19 am »

Bumping out of interest since this thread seemed to go awfully quiet suddenly... is anyone playing this at the moment?

Uhhh... welcome?

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2019, 08:09:45 pm »

is anyone playing this at the moment?
I doubt it. You'll probably get the chance to take a turn in the near future.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2019, 10:42:26 pm »

Go for it Staalo, I'll bump ya into the list, give us an Epic turn worthy of Mordor Doomforest

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2019, 03:02:41 am »

Eeeexcellent (muhahaha etc etc.). I'll grab Drazoth's save later today and have a look. I already have an idea for a prologue of sorts, based on what's happened earlier in this thread.

Since this is going to be only my second attempt at succession forts, it will probably take few posts to get the style and tone right. I'm assuming Doomforest theme would require a bit more gloom and dread of impending catastrophe and little less slapstick.

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2019, 04:13:15 pm »

It sat on the table between them, huge, heavy and purple, like an overripe plump helmet. Complex crystalline patterns snaked over its otherwise slick surface. It seemed to radiate silent menace.

Both dwarves sat mute, staring at the brooding artifact. Only occasional strikes of pickaxe coming from somewhere behind the back wall broke the silence, sudden and shocking like a blast of miasma in a dormitory. Time passed.

The younger dwarf gave up first. He cleared his throat and stammered a bit. "I, uh, always thought the rutile hat was just a figure of speech. Not an actual... hat, made out of rutile."

"Of course that's what they want everyone else to believe! Only overseers should know the truth about the rutile hat! It has... power." The dwarf across the table, one for some reason now known as Drazoth, seemed to relish the word. "And now it's yours. Take it and hide it. As long as you have it, you'll be the overseer, Tosid."

"Staalo."

"What?"

"Most people call me Staalo. It's a nickname. You see, I had a bad stutter as a child and I... never mind. It's a long story."

"I don't need to hear any damned autobiographies right now!" Drazoth shuddered. "I'm running out of time. You'll have to become the next overseer. Take the hat."

"But why me?" Staalo protested. "I'm just a miner, I don't know anything about running a fortress! I just arrived few months ago with the last migrant group, for Thukkan's sake!"

"Exactly! That means you can't be that damn bloodsucker who killed Avuz and Kivish!" Drazoth seemed to convulse for a moment, then straightened up. "Look, we have a vampire loose in the fortress, there are a million things left unfinished and I'm just about to lose the possession of this body. Take the damn hat!"

"Uh, lose the what of what now? And what was that about a vampire?" Staalo's hands stopped halfway towards the rutile hat.

"Nevermind! Out of time!" Drazoth vaulted over the table and rammed out of the door vanishing in the stream of anonymous haulers in the corridor. His face had seemed to twist and change as he ran.

Staalo gaped at the door left ajar. Who had this "Drazoth" been, really? Try as he might, he couldn't really recall what the other dwarf had looked like, and he suspected he couldn't point him out anymore amongst other fortress dwellers. Very odd.

A crowd of idlers drawn by the commotion milled outside, uncertain. Sooner or later they'd become curious about what had caused it. Now what? If anyone would be nosy enough to peek inside the room, they'd see the hat and the secret would be out. It had seemed so important to keep it hidden, but why? He tentatively reached for the looming headgear.

As soon as he touched it he reeled in shock and horror. Wordless whisperings that seemed to have always been there in the background, just below hearing, rose to a thunderous roar that filled his entire world for a second. Then they subsided, but didn't entirely disappear. As he carried the rutile hat away, the voices were now there in his head: constant, insistent, barely audible, whisperings of impending doom.

The Whisperings of Doomhollow.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 03:46:39 am by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2019, 06:28:42 pm »

Now he knew. In the whisperings he had heard the future of the Doomhollow; not only one future but all the possible futures the fortress could have. Most of them seemed to involve blood, horror and death. Some hinted at oblivion and abandonment. All of them told the end of the fortress, in one way or another.

Doomhollow was doomed.

But there was also a choice. The fort didn't have to end as a dark bloody rathole with insane, starving survivors killing each other in its corridors. It could also go out with a flash of purpose and glory. All it needed was some direction. An unending string of brave, special dwarves could steer the fortress to a better direction, and - perhaps - postpone the inevitable demise. The overseers.

And now he not only knew, but also understood. He had a mission. A responsibility.

How could a nineteen year old miner manage such a burden? If he was going to survive through his overseer year, he needed to know the fort first. With 134-year old mason Urdim Tongsjudge, one of the first citizens in the fortress, he set out for a tour of Doomhollow.

Despite being a relatively new settlement, Doomhollow was actually quite populous place; with its 123 inhabitants it was classified as a "city" by the Mountainhome Census Bureau. It was also a wealthy and well-supplied fortress with its food stores filled for several years' needs. Even booze supply would be enough for couple of seasons.

Urdim led Staalo to surface, across the granite block drawbridge and past the tethered guard dogs. Mighty saguaros bent under their snow loads in the freezing weather.

"Welp, this's the so-called new entrance. Old gate got walled up, but there's still some of them old fort farms an' workshops left back there. Always have to walk the whole damn distance if someone wants some fresh eggs on their biscuits."

"I-I see!" Staalo shuddered in the gale. "And what's that stumpy little tower over there?"

"That be the fancy guard tower. Them militia boys train inside an' sometimes they pop out an' see if any of them gobbos are coming. Aint much to look, that one."

"An' this here is our trading depot where them damned knife ears still be waiting for Thukkan knows what. Mind that yak poop there, we'll be going inside."

"What... oh! Right." Staalo tried to wipe his shoe against a dwarbridge mechanism. "So, this level looks a bit... unfinished?"

"Yup, don't know about that. For some reason all of them bedrooms there got dug out but then nothing was done with them. Got a nice hospital an' library here, though."

"An if we go downstairs - never mind them ramps back there, nobody uses them, we use this single staircase here - here we see some workshops and stockpiles. Bit of a schist job to fetch just about anything from there, if you don't mind me saying."

Staalo looked along the endless-seeming corridor. "Why is everything built so far away from everything else?"

"Dunno about that, them's the orders an' we just build them. But if you'll squint a bit you can just see the bedrooms back there."

"Sorry lad, got to stop a bit an' have a breather, aint got the legs I got when I was younger. So here we got them bedrooms an' the dining hall. Also got some temples over there, if yer feeling inclined to commune with them higher powers an' all."

"Interesting. But why there are so many bedrooms without doors?"

Urdim's expression went completely blank. "Dunno. Them's the orders. Uh, but anyways, if we go all the way back there, we gets to the main staircase where we can go down to the mines."

"Here we gots the whole mining operatinon...on going. If them miners find any ore they chuck it down this ore chute here - we'll go down this way -"

"An' this was the place where Imic had that little accident of his. You heard about that?"

"Yes... that's, uh, that's quite a lot of blood."

"Yup, wasn't much left of him to put into coffin. Had to scrape him off the boulder with a shovel to get the most of him."

"Ye can't see it, but there's the cavern entrance. Got it all locked up and trapped. Boulder traps." Urdim sniffed contemptuously.

"An finally here's them forges. Watch yer step, got a couple of holes here an there might be something fairly unpleasant there in the magma."

"I... I see. Well, thank you, Urdim, this has been most informative."

"Anytime, lad. Well, I'll be going then, it's a bit of a climb from down here."

So this was the fort he should be directing. He could see the conflicting projects former overseers had undertaken and then abandoned. It was up to him to make some sense out of it and to see that at least on his watch none of the visions of horror and destruction would become reality. For failure and death were never far away...

...in Doomhollow.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 05:19:06 pm by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24