Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Yes or No

Yes
No
Maybe

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24

Author Topic: The Doom of Doomhollow - Year 10 - [Finished]  (Read 51341 times)

KickAssAndGiggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dragon of Doomhollow (OVERSEERS NEEDED)
« Reply #195 on: December 28, 2019, 11:45:26 pm »

7th Moonstone

Here is where I told the Rapid Clasps to make their stand, to make the goblin's advantage in numbers less felt:

The Glazes of Worth I posted near the trade depot at the bottom of the ramp, to be called up as reinforcements if needed.

By Armok's razor-sharp canines, we must hold Doomhollow here!

8th Moonstone

This is helpful.

However, it seems our fearless soldiers could not resist charging up to the main entrance tunnel.

Arguably less helpful...only Armok knows how this will turn out.

This is doubly helpful!

9th Moonstone

Oh...great timing Ast. Sheesh!

10th Moonstone

They're running lads. They're running like the filthy, cowardly vermin they are!

Well...the three survivors are anyway. Great job chaps. Every one of you is a bloody hero!

No losses. Barely even a wound! The green horde threw itself at us, and we smashed it to pieces.

I have spoken too soon. Nil Abanluslem, Militia Captain and intrepid leader of the Glazes of Worth lies stricken on the battlefield!

I am loathe to cancel the civilian alert until the stragglers have left the battlefield...I also worry what will happen when our already fragile dwarfs see these corpses in the main entrance. But I can't leave him out there in the snow! He was the real hero of the hour!

I will forbid corpse and refuse hauling on the most depressed dwarfs and then...oh Armok I hope he lives!

Again...great damn timing Etur!

In other news, Ast has claimed a Magma Glass Furnace!

11th Moonstone

Eniteris, my predecessor, must have picked up some kind of wound, as he's walked himself into a hospital bed.

I'm hopeful the fact that he walked himself there means he's not too badly hurt.

12th Moonstone

Nil is now in hospital too. Time for Doc to prove her worth to the fortress. She's had almost nothing to do for two years!

14th Moonstone

Kulet Loreddud, Doc's right hand dwarf, has had a look at Nil.

It's not too bad. Damaged left knee. Nothing spinal. He should be fine with a splint and a bit of rest.

Eniteris, just a nasty gash on the neck. Nothing life-threatening. Some sutures and he'll be fine.

PRAISE ARMOK!

Id Sterusolin, a beekeeper (do we have bees? Why is he a beekeeper then, diary), is having a tantrum. Fortunately, he's already in prison. I didn't even hear what he did in all the excitement. At least ONE of our EIGHTEEN cells is in use!

What a victory we have won here this month. All goblin's should tremble at the name Doomhollow, and its mightiest defender, Nil Abanluslem!

(And our boats...)
The humble lever: responsible for more dead fortresses than megabeasts, goblins and elves combined!

KickAssAndGiggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 29, 2019, 12:53:07 am »

15th Moonstone

By Armok's hairy armpits, what a trooper Nil is.

He's up, armored and off to watch a Shield Demonstration. Eniteris is out and about too.

Two dwarfs both spent one day in hospital. That's all the goblins have to show for their siege.

Tremble at our name, green filth!

18th Moonstone

As I suspected, the cleaning up of our entrance is causing much stress and anguish for certain members of our community.

Doc says that we have one dwarf on the very edge of insanity, and 9 more getting on that way.

I tried my best to excuse the worst affected dwarfs from this detail, but it seems a few borderline cases got through and got stressed. And Id the beekeeper...well, she's right on the cusp of losing it completely.

It's in Armok's hands for them now, to a certain extent.

22nd Moonstone

No arguments from me!

27th Moonstone

Ast has begun his mysterious construction. Definitely got his stuff together quicker than our last two chaps. Although...hardly literally quick.

I'm not holding out super high hopes for it, being in a glass furnace...but let us see. I've been surprised many times this year already!

4th Opal

Well...he's done!

Yawn. Oh well...they can't all be winners. Nice try Ast.

9th Opal

You've earnt that right, Kivish!

And...sigh. It's business as usual for Etur:

And he seems to be in his favourite tantruming spot again, the Aquamarine Chapel. Please, Etur...no dramas, eh?

22nd Opal

My...I mean our...grand dining room is finished. Nobody will complain about lack of tables again!

The humble lever: responsible for more dead fortresses than megabeasts, goblins and elves combined!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 29, 2019, 01:47:12 pm »

Yay! A goblin Christmas! Everyone gets a gift of slightly soiled goblin-sized underwear, along with a generous dose of corpse madness.

Really enjoying your narration.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

KickAssAndGiggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 29, 2019, 07:21:56 pm »

Kind of you to say, although I think yours was better personally. :)

Settling in for what will almost certainly be the last session of my year now.

KickAssAndGiggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 29, 2019, 09:41:44 pm »

22nd Opal 505

With only a little over a month until I get to nominate some poor schmuck...I mean a suitable candidate, obviously diary...to replace me, I am feeling much more comfortable in my role.

Ryukan, stoneworker extraordinaire, led us here and founded Doomhollow. There is little doubt that the founder will be remembered in the history books.

Reg, Metal Legend, known to his friends as TheFlame52 (nobody has told me why), dug deep enough to find the first adamantine veins and the magma sea which powers our magma forges, the source of our military might.

Doc, who occasionally goes by the name Travis Bickle, created detailed records and I feel is the mother of the fortress design we have today, and additionally the mother of our mighty military, which has proven critical to our survival in 503 and 505.

(She was also responsible for us having 18 prison cells, of which I have never seen more than 1 used...but we'll gloss over that!)

Staalo...Staalo masterminded both the identification and elimination of the Doomhollow vampire, and the slaying of Obin Taxedjade the dragon. With all due respect to my other predecessors, he is our best and brightest and the true hero of Doomhollow.

Eniteris steadied the ship after the tumultuous times of 503, set up automation of many tasks through our able manager Erin Quill, and is now a hero in the military in his own right.

At the beginning of the year when Eniteris surprisingly nominated me, KAAG the animal caretaker of no great note, to lead Doomhollow, the idea that I could ever belong in such a group of gifted dwarfs seemed fanciful.

But now, with our adamantine stocks more than tripled, our military sporting adamantine swords, our boat, our earring, our fairly clear corridors, our bedrooms all consistently kitted out, our engravings, our new barracks, dining room and museum and last but not least the UTTER PASTING we dished out to those pitiful greenskins from The Seductions of Grease, by Armok's neatly-trimmed fingernails, I do feel I belong.

Possibly last amongst equals. But not ludicrously out-of-place to be mentioned alongside them.

On a side-note, the two old-timers who 'warned' me (and by that, read 'punched') over the green-glass goblet debacle, have told me that the dwarfs would respect me more if I donned this old rutile hat Eniteris had stuffed into the coffer in my room. I tried it on...it seems to fit OK. I mean...I haven't noticed an increase in respect due to it, but it's keeping my head warm so what the hell?

To further improve my legacy...I mean Doomhollow's chance of survival, I have designated even more upward digging into the adamantine areas we have discovered. With our dedicated strand extractors at full speed, this should leave plenty of the blue stuff for my successor to do with as he or she sees fit.

23rd Opal

Our military are all very proud of their weaponry, and even moreso, shields.

24th Opal

Scourge engraved a masterwork today.

By itself, this is not especially noteworthy. What is more noteworthy is that this may be the singular most-reported piece of news over the entire year. I have literally lost count of how many times I have read this on a daily report. It could be approaching 100...I wouldn't be at all shocked to find it is waaay over 100.

By Armok's pearly-white incisors, the dwarf is an absolute engraving machine!

25th Opal

Yes...very proud indeed!

1st Obsidian

My last month in charge begins. Time to tie up any loose ends now KAAG. And to start thinking of a successor. Everyone else has picked brilliantly, don't be the one who messes this up!

Time to decide what to do about the goblinite...

I decide to unforbid it all. I'll let our next overseer decide what to do with it. Melt it? Sell it? Find some other use for it? It's their call.

5th Obsidian

Our resident beekeeper-without-a-bee, Id, is thowing yet another tantrum. I suspect there might not be any way back for her at this stage.

I see that despite being a beekeeper, she has Jewelery labours enabled. I decide to give her stonecrafting too, in the forlorn hope that keeping her busy, even if she is unskilled, might help her.

It's a long-shot diary, but by Armok's drunken stupors, nobody can say I didn't try!

6th Obsidian

We are back up to 325 green glass goblets. By Armok's bismuth bronze leggings, I don't believe in the curse, I don't I don't I don't...but I'll make doubly sure of it by churning the things out now!

We can always sell them, after all...

15th Obsidian

Another layer of the adamantine spire is now revealed and mined. I resolved today diary to try and get one more done before the end of the year.

Obsidian has been quiet on the whole so far. I do hope I am not tempting fate by writing that...

20th Obsidian

Sand collection has slowed behind goblet production due to a lack of bags. I order 30 more created.

23rd Obsidian

The next layer of adamantine is mined. Our next overseer will have plenty of the stuff to enhance Doomhollow's reputation, that's for Armoking sure!

28th Obsidian

What a quiet month to end on! My time in charge is up.

Allow me to note some interesting things about Doomhollow as it stands today:

Citizens: 198 (none in, none out, during my year in charge. Not one death!)
Military squads: 4 (2 elite), 10 dwarf's each.
Adamantine wafers: 30
Raw adamantine ore: 128
Adamantine strands: 18
Prepared meals: 1,626
Drinks: 2,260 (15 varieties)
Green glass goblets: 340
Conditions for becoming mountain-home: 100%
Bordering on insane dwarfs: 1
Miserable dwarfs: 2
Unhappy dwarfs: 9
Epic boats: 1
Epic earrings: 1

View of 'upper main' level:

View of 'lower main' level:

General report on fortress:

Rather than choose a successor, I will open the floor to volunteers. The first dwarf who asks for the rutile hat, gets the rutile hat. Who wouldn't want to run Doomhollow? It is without doubt the military and cultural capital of not just the dwarven world...the entire world.

KAAG the overseer is no more. KAAG the animal caretaker is back.

By Armok's out-of-tune singing, it's been a blast.

KickAssAndGiggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 29, 2019, 10:00:52 pm »

Save:

http://dffd.bay12games.com/download.php?id=14653&f=Doomhollow.zip

Don't let Doomhollow fade into obscurity. It's a great fort, well worthy of a few evenings of your time!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 30, 2019, 08:47:09 pm »

Great turn! I really expected some militia to die. I think they were saved because you lured the goblins into the entrance before engaging, giving us the advantage. I like your improvements to the fort's architecture.

KickAssAndGiggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 03, 2020, 01:40:14 am »

1st Granite 506

So I called a meeting today Diary in the new dining room and invited every dwarf to attend. Around half of them did.

"The time has come to elect a new leader. Doomhollow has its traditions and one of them is that a different dwarf commands us year-on-year. Prevents tyranny y'know.

Leadership comes with heavy responsibilities, but also perks. Can I interest somebody in this very fetching rutile hat?

Do not be afraid of not being 'up to the task'. By Armok's ruddy cheeks, I wasn't when I started, but I have led us to glorious victory over the goblin hordes, masterminded our adamantine production and prepared us for the glory of becoming the mountainhome. You learn 'on the job' so to speak.

Who amongst you is prepared to step up to the mark? For glory! For Doomhollow!"

Diary, there was silence. So I told them that they are not leaving the dining room until somebody volunteered.

More silence. Many dwarfs ignored me and shuffled out, looking at their feet. I get no respect, no respect at all, I tell ya!

Somebody must step up. Doomhollow must not be lost to the ages!

(OOC: to any first-timers, this is a great fort for your first succession game. It's pretty well organised and 'normal' for a succession fort, you have a very good military and if you follow the same tactic I used, you'd comfortably hold off pretty much any siege)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: The Desperation of Doomhollow (!!OVERSEERS NEEDED!!)
« Reply #203 on: January 03, 2020, 04:52:33 pm »

We can do naught but sit and wait for the next overseer to step up. Doomhollow will endure and the save is always open to any shmuck who wants it  ;D
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 07, 2020, 04:02:26 pm »

We can do naught but sit and wait for the next overseer to step up. Doomhollow will endure and the save is always open to any shmuck who wants it  ;D

<stumbles in>

<picks up hat>
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 07:52:56 pm by blueturtle1134 »
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Eniteris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Turtling of Doomhollow (!!OVERSEERS NEEDED!!)
« Reply #205 on: January 09, 2020, 04:33:40 am »

Eniteris, just a nasty gash on the neck. Nothing life-threatening. Some sutures and he'll be fine.

Don't mind me, I'm just bleeding out the carotid, I'm fine, I can walk it off. No big deal.

Great turn! Everything seems perfectly fine and normal and nothing could possibly ruin it.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 12, 2020, 01:32:04 pm »

I'm always quite a bit behind all the updates and stuff. Wonderful turn!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 13, 2020, 04:36:19 am »

<stumbles in>

<picks up hat>
The Hat has been passed. The Hat has been passed. We have a new Overseer. Praise Thukkan!

Go ahead, blueturtle; I believe the save is just free for the taking. Make us proud.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 13, 2020, 12:35:59 pm »

Go ahead, blueturtle; I believe the save is just free for the taking. Make us proud.

I just flattened Scourge and Imic by doing some channeling stupid and causing a cave-in.

Am I fired yet?

Well, on the upside, we're the mountainhome now
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

KickAssAndGiggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 13, 2020, 01:24:56 pm »

Scourge? Dead? Our engraving machine?

That is a bitter blow indeed. Half our masterpieces were his.

Has Id gone mad yet?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24