Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Yes or No

Yes
No
Maybe

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24

Author Topic: The Doom of Doomhollow - Year 10 - [Finished]  (Read 50949 times)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: The Desperation of Doomhollow (!!OVERSEERS NEEDED!!)
« Reply #210 on: January 13, 2020, 02:33:19 pm »

Go ahead, blueturtle; I believe the save is just free for the taking. Make us proud.

I just flattened Scourge and Imic by doing some channeling stupid and causing a cave-in.

Am I fired yet?

Well, on the upside, we're the mountainhome now

Lmao, report in detail!
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: The Turtling of Doomhollow (!!OVERSEERS NEEDED!!)
« Reply #211 on: January 13, 2020, 05:29:33 pm »

I flattened Imic too. He's prone to that I guess.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 13, 2020, 08:46:22 pm »

I flattened Imic too. He's prone to that I guess.

Oh, I was wrong. Scourge was the only one flattened. I thought Imic was as well because he was also on the deadlist.

Three months in and I've already killed two dorfs. (One died on day 1)

This should be fun.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 14, 2020, 08:32:49 pm »

The journal of "Blueturtle" ïlunzuntîr, overseer (mostly against his will) of Doomhollow (N.D. 506)

1st Granite: Apparently I'm overseer now. I'm told that I've just got to keep the fort together for a year and I'm free. I guess this shouldn't be so hard-

Oh. That sucks.

3rd Granite: I wonder who left half the fields on fallow. We're out of everything except plump helmets, so I'm changing that now.

This would be much less concerning if he wasn't in the hallway full of sharp things.

4th Granite: Shorast walked by the pile of dead goblins and got horrified. Why is she even a hunter if she's going to puke every time she sees a skull?

I'm torn between bridging the bodies or leaving them there out of spite.

9th Granite:

Is she going to do this literally every time she walks past the- Yeah. Fine. Atom smasher time.

13th Granite: Hey look, we've been promoted!

16th Granite: Now what.

18th Granite: Well on the upside, the ettin's dead. On the downside, it ate a bunch of elves.

Sorry, did I write “on the downside”? I’m pretty sure elves getting eaten is poetic justice or something.

In other news, I would like to know who had the amazing idea to store corpses UNDERGROUND.

20th Granite: Expanding the farm plots. Also, did whoever designed the original farm have something against using all the available space or something? I'm pretty sure that gap around the edges is not necessary.

26th Granite:

No we don't.

Fine, I'll take it.

1st Slate:

Place your bets on what we get, friends!

12th Slate:

Well, at least it wasn't a chair or something A CHAIR WOULD BE MUCH BETTER THAN THIS

17th Slate: Well, here's the idea. There's some plants that only grow on surface soil for some reason, so just for variety, in case we ever have to hole up in the fort for an extended siege, it would be nice to have a sample of the surface, no? That way there would be absolutely no reason to leave the fort.

The obvious solution is to channel a hole down into the rock layer and drop a block of dirt down into it.

Slate:

WE DID IT

WE DID IT GUYS WE'RE THE MOUNTAINHOME NOW

Funny. Going through my notes, it appears that I completely forgot to record the date of this event. Perhaps I got too caught up in the excitement.

1st Felsite::

Okay, I'm dumb.

2nd Felsite:

Oh no.

Oh dear Armok… what have I done?

Scourge? Dead? Our engraving machine?

That is a bitter blow indeed. Half our masterpieces were his.

Has Id gone mad yet?

So far she’s doing fine. With luck, time will soothe the wounds her mind sustained during the war.

6th Felsite: I’m pretty sure this is the bit that fell.

I must have ordered the bottom floor mined before the top floor was completely channeled, leading to a piece of floor with no support. The project can continue, with more caution employed.

9th Felsite: Today, we embark on what will perhaps be the most important venture in the history of this Fortress: The construction of a palace for our monarch, His Majesty King Urdim Notokivish of The Greatest Tombs. Every detail of this grand residence must be carefully chosen to befit the grandeur of our ruler, starting with its location, which should draw the eye from miles away, in the heart of our grand metropolis, yet at the same time high above it.

Who am I kidding? I’m putting him between Dining and Storage.

12th Felsite: The excavation of the King Box seems to be quite the group effort.

Also, we’re completely out of cookable foods. Time for more farms?

Also, the king has blocked the export of cages. Go him, I guess?

21st Felsite:

Make up your mind.

25th Felsite:

Becomes much less impressive when you realize that it translates to “The Pale Aquamarine”.

3rd Hematite: I had the King Box engraved and now it just looks psychedelic.

In other news, this happened!

4th Hematite: I almost forgot, what’s the King useful for?

Nothing. Great. We also have his youngest daughter here, and she’s… less useless.

10th Hematite: It’s only now that I realize you ALREADY had a garbage dump in the form of a lava hole. This kind of thing should be covered in the orientation packet, guys.

Also, there should be an orientation packet.

:(

Would you like another dorf? If so, specify occupation/gender and I'll try to find you one.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 08:45:13 pm by blueturtle1134 »
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 14, 2020, 09:46:58 pm »

10th Hematite: It’s only now that I realize you ALREADY had a garbage dump in the form of a lava hole. This kind of thing should be covered in the orientation packet, guys.

Also, there should be an orientation packet.

Quoted. Keep it up!

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 27, 2020, 04:59:33 pm »

The Continued Records of "Blueturtle" ïlunzuntîr, Increasingly Negligent Overseer of Doomhollow (N.D. 506)

11th Hematite: After further thought, I’m deactivating the lava dump zone. It’s ingenious, but forces dwarves to descend to the very bottom of the depths to throw away anything and we have a lot of bones to dump.

In other news, a human diplomat arrives…

12th Hematite: Wait, what?

Looking at the scene of the crime just reveals a… pile of bloody clothes. No idea what’s happened here.

17th Hematite:

I think you’ve completely missed the point of both kings and mayors.

Also, the outpost liason wants his own set of fancy rooms. Sigh.

21st Hematite: Okay, this is kind of concerning.

I mean, there’s not even any good reason for most of them, it’s just because they got into an argument or something. Maybe the current project to atom smash all the bodies of the dead has them creeped out.

27th Hematite: At this point, I’ve given half the fort permanent trauma and filled the hallways with vomit by taking the trash out.

No, honestly. Maybe pulverizing all the corpses wasn’t a good idea? I still feel like it’ll be better to get it over with now, though, rather than walk by the whole stack every time we exit the fort.

And hopefully they develop stronger stomachs.

1st Malachite:

Was it, like, census week or something?

7th Malachite: The dig site is abuzz with activity.

I’m also preparing the rooms for the Outpost Liason, and putting the King’s tomb in the middle of one of the cavern pits.

10th Malachite: It seems like all the corpses have been piled into the atom smasher, so the time has come. Kivish Lolokgerig locks the doors…

…and the lever-pull goes to Striker.

Wait… hold on. It didn’t work.

19th Galena: Kol Bisekolsan has entered a fey mood.

He’s an administrator and marksdwarf.

I have no idea what we’re going to get.

Spoiler: A note (click to show/hide)

24th Galena: It appears that you were right about Id. She has gone off into the cave wheat fields to die.

26th Galena: This is ridiculous. There’s literally a solid path of vomit where the dwarves walked.

I just realized that this is probably the result of cave adaptation. Perhaps we should schedule an annual sunlight exposure so it doesn’t come as a shock when we need to do something above ground.

9th Limestone: Well, it had to happen.

26th Limestone: How did this happen?

Do you use this place to store grazing animals or something? Seriously? Yaks can’t eat sand!

3rd Sandstone: An artifact quiver? I’ll take it.

4th Sandstone: A new immigrant has arrived. Already a legendary stone crafter, too.

Good, you’ll be useful.

OOC: I know that I’ve been going over the time by a lot, so if anyone else wants the save, just post and I’ll give it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 05:04:40 pm by blueturtle1134 »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 27, 2020, 05:06:54 pm »

There weren't that many yaks when I put them in that moss-filled room

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 27, 2020, 08:48:24 pm »

Events of the 17th of Hematite

"He what?" Ryukan looked up from his papers, wondering if he heard correctly.

"He ran for Mayor and won" said the hauler.

Ryukan laughed at the blatant abuse at what Democracy the Fort had, "That's golden!" Ryukan dismissed the hauler and went back to work chuckling to himself.

If the King wanted to play this game, Ryukan was more than willing to play as well. This wouldn't be the first King he'd toppled...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 08:50:07 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 28, 2020, 10:35:21 am »

What the heck? i'm still alive?! :o I thought my dorf was long dead or something since not a single update even mentioned 'em. What has my dwarf been doing all this time? lol
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

KickAssAndGiggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 28, 2020, 01:31:17 pm »

Diary of KAAG, 9th Limestone

Poor Id. As loony as you might expect a beekeeper with no bees to be (heh), but still a sad day indeed.

OOC:

1st Malachite:

Was it, like, census week or something?

That's the military going off duty, I set them to have 4 months a year off training to recover their sanity after the "drizzly day back in 503" incident. Might not be appropriate now...or it might.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 01:36:27 pm by KickAssAndGiggle »
The humble lever: responsible for more dead fortresses than megabeasts, goblins and elves combined!

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 08, 2020, 09:44:28 am »

The Continuation of the Journal of "Blueturtle" ïlunzuntîr, Overseer of Doomhollow (N.D. 506)

There weren't that many yaks when I put them in that moss-filled room

The room is now completely clear of moss. I’ve began moving them aboveground, but if we have a population problem we’ll just have to set them free…

from LIFE

11th Sandstone: Whu… what?

How have I never noticed this before? Why is this little bit a fort COMPLETELY ISOLATED from the rest of the fort? There’s even some little nooks for workshops and everything!

14th Sandstone: It’s finally time to drop the dirt segment into the pit. I’ve ordered the “safety” segment I left here channeled. This shouldn’t drop it because the support underneath is still holding it up, but I’m not taking any chances, so I’ve forbidden anyone from standing in the pit or on the top.

16th Sandstone: And, of course, Nil instantly negates that careful precaution by choosing to stand on the side that may fall. This despite the fact that I designated that entire area as restricted. Can’t change Nil’s mind, I guess.

It worked and he left safely, but still.

21st Sandstone: Filling in the cave tunnel is too hard. I’m just burying the King here.

22nd Sandstone: Alright, let’s just get this done with.

BLUETURTLE: Hey, Fath!
FATH: Hello, Blue. How’s it going?
BLUETURTLE: Your name is Scourge now.
SCOURGE II: Excuse me?
BLUETURTLE: You will now be referred to as Scourge.
SCOURGE II: Alright?
BLUETURTLE: Good. Go ahead and continue what you were doing, Scourge.

25th Sandstone: Drat. The yaks ate all the grass in my new pasture. I’ll have to spread them out further next time, I guess.

28th Sandstone: I decided not to tear down the old pasture after all. It could be useful for something, I guess.

Hey, if anyone wants a room full of sandy vomit and exposed to the air, I’ve got one right here.

In other news, the yaks are literally cleaning the fort of moss as they walk through.

1st Timber: Guess they finally found the draft tickets.

Also, everyone’s going to training along the stair used for the dig site. I’m going to designate that as restricted, it’s really not safe to be there when we’re right about to trigger the cave-in.

(Although the fact that this is the shortest path might indicate that we need a new surface entrance. I’ll probably open it back up once the dirt is dropped.)

3rd Timber:

Uh-oh.

4th Timber: He’s chasing Moony around the furnace floor now.

Am I allowed to use the military on this guy? I know he’s too far gone to be saved, but could that trigger a loyalty cascade?

4th Timber, continued: I managed to get the two strand extractors and a metalsmith to hide inside the adamantine spire chamber by using burrows, but it looks like Moony wants his nap even if it gets him killed.

5th Timber: He’s gotten to the stairwell and is causing general chaos and mayhem there.

He got in a fistfight with Reg and looks like he’s knocked out.

To be continued…

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 08, 2020, 06:00:12 pm »

How have I never noticed this before? Why is this little bit a fort COMPLETELY ISOLATED from the rest of the fort? There’s even some little nooks for workshops and everything!
That's the old food processing area left over from Year 1; it proved to be a bit of a bottleneck, what with all the related stockpiles situated in the other side of the fortress and all. I decided to wall it all up after concentrating all food-related stuff to one place, leaving only access to the watchtower above it. It... seemed like a good idea at the time.

Great turn and great narrative. What's driving all those dwarves crazy, btw? Don't tell me it's still about that one bit of rain back in 503.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 08, 2020, 09:15:25 pm »

Didn't he do some corpse hauling outside? That's probably the main issue, and emotional trauma has exacerbated that, I bet.

BearvsGiantBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 10, 2020, 05:51:48 am »

I doubt many would be inclined to trust an escaped lunatic to even a minor position in Doom-hollow society. That said I hope, on behalf of the Fey, Secretive, Possessed, Fell and Macabre that wider Dwarven cultures' robust approach to mental health care and sensitive re-integration will at some stage render me suitable for the position of overseer for a future turn.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24