Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Yes or No

Yes
No
Maybe

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24

Author Topic: The Doom of Doomhollow - Year 10 - [Finished]  (Read 51408 times)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: The Turtling of Doomhollow (!!OVERSEERS NEEDED!!)
« Reply #225 on: February 10, 2020, 09:57:37 am »

I doubt many would be inclined to trust an escaped lunatic to even a minor position in Doom-hollow society. That said I hope, on behalf of the Fey, Secretive, Possessed, Fell and Macabre that wider Dwarven cultures' robust approach to mental health care and sensitive re-integration will at some stage render me suitable for the position of overseer for a future turn.

Consider yourself signed up  ;D
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 11, 2020, 07:59:05 pm »

PTW
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 18, 2020, 12:28:08 am »

The Completed Records of "Blueturtle" ïlunzuntîr, (Fortunately) Former Overseer of Doomhollow (N.D. 506)

10th Timber: I can’t just sit around and watch him starve to death. I sent in the military to do the deed.

Slice!

14th Timber: Well, we pulled the lever and the support collapsed, but nothing fell. Guess I just start removing things now.

16th Timber: A spore tree has started growing where the support once was. Is that the issue? It doesn’t even seem to be connected to anything.

18th Timber: There it is.

Wait… crap

Looks like I miscalculated and the falling dirt punched through the roof of the bedroom floor. Now half the rooms are paved with grass and clay.

It also appears to have crushed at least two people. Well, how was I supposed to expect that a bunch of sand and dirt can punch through a solid rock floor? Even worse, it looks like the original plan doesn’t even work, because apparently the sand on the surface can’t be used for farming.

5th Moonstone: As it turns out, I was wrong. We can actually farm the sand.

This is it. This is what it comes to. Six months of work and three dwarves dead, including a child, just in a mad scheme to be able to farm blade grass underground.

9th Moonstone: What possessed me to do this thing? Some delirious desire to declare our independence from the surface? Some impossible hope of doing a deed that would defy the laws of gods and nature? Of course, I started out thinking that it would be an idle project. I didn’t know… I couldn’t know…

Sometimes, I fear that I knew exactly what I was doing.

12th Moonstone: Seriously. Alright, I get it. I understand. We all have our moments. Sometimes you just need to beat someone up.

But did you really have to smash up the entire field on your way out?

14th Moonstone: AND HE IMMEDIATELY PROCEEDS TO BEAT UP THE DUKE CONSORT

You’ve almost got to admire the initiative of this guy, see?

17th Moonstone: Having inspected the lowermost mining layer, I can see why that furnace operator went mad. The place is terrible. I’m having all the walls smoothed and new dining/sleeping areas built.

IMIC: (shouting from below) “But sir, why aren’t we mining more of the adamantine?”
BLUETURTLE: (shouting down the shaft while engraving a floor) “What? The adamantine? You’ve heard the stories about that stuff! About what’s hidden below! Don’t mine it at all!”
IMIC: “Got it, boss! (to other miners) Move out, he said to mine it all!”

NO!

NO!

NO!

20th Moonstone: Armok preserves us for another day. Another layer of the spire is revealed, and another thirteen fibers of the holy metal have been acquired.

We must be cautious, lest we wake something left better to sleep.

I doubt many would be inclined to trust an escaped lunatic to even a minor position in Doom-hollow society. That said I hope, on behalf of the Fey, Secretive, Possessed, Fell and Macabre that wider Dwarven cultures' robust approach to mental health care and sensitive re-integration will at some stage render me suitable for the position of overseer for a future turn.

Go ahead and have it. You can’t possibly be worse than me.

25th Moonstone: Yes, of course I call adamantine a “holy metal”. Its properties - weight, sharpness, and strength - defy all that we know of mineralogy. Its placement in spires stabbing up from the underworld cannot possibly be a natural occurrence.

Those lithoclasts have no idea what they’re talking about.

28th Moonstone: I was going to floor over this hole, but I’ve decided to just leave it open. Let it be a monument to the consequence of pride.

7th Opal: Okay, okay, okay. I mean no disrespect to the dead.

Having said that, what the-

Did this idiot die of fright? Or did whatever he was afraid of get him?

9th Opal:

Good going, Scourge! Now please, show enough restraint to not build us a bituminous coal toy hammer or something!

11th Opal: I can’t believe I didn’t see this before, but given that he’s a farmer and punches royalty…

17th Opal: For a second I thought that Scourge had finished his artifact.

Let’s see if the name actually makes sense…

YES.

DRINKBAND THE COLORS OF MURDERING.

THAT’S AWESOME.

18th Opal:

Not sure why I had to know this. Must have been a slow news day.

22nd Opal:

Well, that’s not so useless. We’ll bury someone important in this.

14th Obsidian: Okay, what the-

Who… who wants an electrum sarcophagus in their dining room? I’ll leave it up to the next guy to decide whether to pander to this stupidity or not.

15th Obsidian: I just realized that the reason this new bedroom block wasn’t getting excavated was because I didn’t designate the last bit of wall

D’oh.

16th Obsidian: I’ve designated traffic areas to encourage dwarves going to the bedrooms to walk through the areas of grass that have dropped down. This should force them out of cave adaptation.

18th Obsidian: The adamantine mining layer has been made much more comfortable now.

This should hopefully stop any further furnace operators from going crazy.

25th Obsidian:

Well, you know the drill.

Sounds like a decent description of what a shield does, actually.

27th Obsidian:

Okay, this person has… some problems.

Also, I’m not sure, but I’m… pretty sure I just saw a ghost. I’m opening up some coffins for burial, hopefully that solves the problem.

28th Obsidian: The next overseer will have to see to it that this new block of rooms is assigned to people. Don’t forget to place the chests once the order for them goes through.

And that concludes my turn as overseer. Notable events:

• One dwarf arrived.
  • Seven Eight dwarves died - one to suicide, one to insanity, three four to my inability to dig a hole, two for unknown reasons.
  • King arrived and fort became Mountainhome - king's rooms built.
  • 13 fibers of Adamantine mined.
  • Dropped a section of the surface into the fort, and crushed a residential block doing so.
  • Moved yaks outside because they were starving.
  • Appointed the King's youngest daughter as fortress champion (she's a marksdwarf)
  • Started building a new residential section to replace the one I crushed.
  • Set up a bunch of conditional manager orders for furniture so expansion is easier.

I now call upon a new overseer to take up the reigns of Doomhollow. (Links to save). Goodbye. I’m out. I’m done with this.

Okay, for the sake of RP I should go through and check which named dorfs got their rooms crushed by Blue’s Blunder.

Note: It seems that the dwarves are using the rooms I built at the bottom of the mine as housing for those dwarves that got their rooms crushed. I also can’t easily tell if you got reassigned to another room on the same floor, so it’s best not to depend on this.

Imic II still has his room
Scourge II still has his room
Ryukan still has his room
Psycho still has his room
Blueturtle still has his room
Staalo still has his room
KAAG still has his room
Striker still has his room
Moony lost his room and got reassigned to the bottom of the mine
Reg lost his room and got reassigned to the bottom of the mine
Drazoth still has his room
Doc still has his room
Erin Quill still has his room
Eniteris still has his room
Dark One still has his room
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 12:47:57 am by blueturtle1134 »
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

BearvsGiantBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 18, 2020, 07:36:28 am »

Great read blueturtle, downloading save tonight.
Go ahead and have it. You can’t possibly be worse than me.
The fort surviving may be a high bar if I can't work out which lever closes the main gate...

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 18, 2020, 04:18:35 pm »

I don't know what the turn list looks like at the moment, but if it's all right I'd like to take another turn.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 18, 2020, 04:44:59 pm »

Awesome Turn Blue, Table of contents updated as is the Turn list

I don't know what the turn list looks like at the moment, but if it's all right I'd like to take another turn.

You're up after BearsvsGiantBear

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

BearvsGiantBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Tale of Doomhollow - Year 9 - (!!OVERSEERS NEEDED!!)
« Reply #231 on: February 19, 2020, 04:16:48 am »

The second happiest Dwarf in Doomhollow - Late Obsidian, last day of N.D 506

Deep in the belly of the mountain-home a ‘conversation’ had engulfed a growing crowd like a miasmatic biscuit. ‘THE GLASSWORKS’ roared one, hurling a goblet of ale across the room. ‘THE WATCHTOWER’, shouted another slamming their fists onto the table. ‘The concept of Dwarven civilization’ squeaked one, but they were known to be not very bright. ‘THE PICK’ boomed Imic II, silencing the room. He repeated: ‘The Pick’... is the greatest achievement of Dwarven civilization. Scourge II nodded solemnly. ‘Ay tis a good one’. They all agreed. Everyone was now looking at each other in relative amity. Then Blue-turtle Ilunzuntir spoke: ‘and the underground farm?’. The room silenced, bar a stifled wail from the relative of a crushed worker. ‘Ay, yes indeed tis a good one too’ the Dwarves muttered in spear induced unison, one patting him tentatively on the shoulder. Blue-turtle, greatest ruler of N.D 506 (Stress: -60k!) grinned proudly. He felt like the happiest dwarf in Doom-hollow.

The happiest Dwarf in Doomhollow – 1st of Granite 507

Kubrik Pagesnarled    // Stress: -100k    // Legendary Engraver & Happiest dwarf   // 95 years old.

Kubrik Pagesnarled smiled as he exited the hall. All those were indeed excellent things. However, silly as it may be at times, to him the greatest achievement of Dwarven civilization was the Dwarven Mind. The mind was a vault as deep at the chasms of the world and little known. But no matter he thought cheerily to himself, as he continued to scratch psychologically haunting engravings into the wall. Those lofty questions were really none of his concern and it would soon be dinner time.

Terrifying.

Side Note:
I am yet to un-pause the game from 1st of Granite, I’ve set up the beds as requested so now everyone has a bed but I’ve needed to do some further evacuation of the residential zone. What I thought was verdant grass successfully growing underground in the heart of the fort is definitely vomit lit by the sunrise.

The vomit rooms deep in the heart of the fort, nothing but sky above.

Looking at some other admin pieces and through the dwarves we have. Kubrik seems like an interesting one so let’s see what happens, as for many of the others there appears to be quite a large moral issue. Otherwise just working out where everything is which hopefully won’t take too long as DH seems disconcertingly well structured. Slightly concerned to un-pause for reasons I’ll go into later.

BearvsGiantBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 19, 2020, 12:28:37 pm »

1st Granite 507

A new beginning

Kubrik Pagesnarled, author of such works as ‘Paperseared, the Intricate Alchemy’ and Legendary Engraver, was, like everyone else he assumed, immensely satisfied.

He had a wonderful wife and 4 healthy children, The Pagesnarled family:
Kubrik Pagesnarled    // Stress: -100k    // Legendary Engraver    // 95 years old
Ingish Papersoldiers    // Stress: 2.3k    // Master Engraver   // 97 years old
Inod Hailhandles    // Stress:  24    //Mechanic      // 42 years
Sodel Squeezerags    // Stress:  -50    //Swordsmaster   // 32 years
Nish Bowelwhipped    // Stress:-21    //Strandextractor   // 15 years
Besmar Skullspages    // Stress:  -3    //Child       // 5 years old

He had a great job and saw beautiful things in every aspect of his day.

Though he often wanted to practice a martial art and felt he would be quite good at it, it was no bother, he had his books and now a rutile hat.
He was without question, the happiest Dwarf in Doom-hollow.

1st Granite, First second after un-pause

BearvsGiantBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 20, 2020, 02:41:22 am »

2nd of Granite
Official Report of Cpt of the Glazes of Worth – Nil Abanluslem

The new overseer Kubrik Pagesnarled has asked me to do an initial security assessment of Doom-hollow. He has given me authority to fix what I find. He is an exceptionally cheerful and helpful man, which from a security perspective I find disconcerting. I’ve scoured the fort and have discovered several issues detailed below.

1st of Granite 507 - Doom Hollow Security assessment -  INTERNAL AND NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION

Security Flaw A
A ghostly child appeared at the end of 506 which seemed to terrify a good portion of the fort. With both sadness and relief the childs corpse was found and was assigned a coffin so all have a chance to grieve. The ghost has been put to rest.  I have built additional coffins.

Security Flaw 1 - There is a giant hole in our fort that leads directly to the residential zone.

I have begun to wall off the underground farm (vomit rooms) temporarily in case of external attack

Security Flaw 2 - In the middle of the giant hole is a walkway leading into the heart of the fort. A locking mechanism was installed but I can't find the lever so have ordered it sealed.

Security Flaw 3 - Whilst the main gate is Chert (excellent choice), there is a hole leading to the farming area, which in turn led into the fort rendering all other gates redundant. Ordered to be sealed.

Security flaw 4 - The external Yak Farm, den of bucolic misery, has low walls and an unprotected stairway leading to the farming area, which in turn leads into the fort rendering all other gates redundant.

Security Flaw 5 - There is a mysterious shaft with an open entrance leading to the cavern layer, this will temporarily be sealed.

Security Flaw 6 - Secondary gate guarding the fort/trade depot is made out of granite (not magma safe).

Security Flaw 7 - Main gate guarding the cavern layer is made out of limestone (not magma safe).

Security Flaw 8 - Elven poets

Security Flaw 9 - Will need to do something about the Elven poets.
Security Flaw 10 - Brick off circle hands
Security Flaw 11 - Trips, more trps

Through security Flaw 12-72 The report continues and becomes more and more rambling, the pen strokes broader and broader until the content and the form almost becomes completely unintelligible.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: The Tale of Doomhollow - Year 8 - (!!OVERSEERS NEEDED!!)
« Reply #234 on: February 20, 2020, 08:56:35 am »

Journal of Ryukan, 2nd of Granite, 507

So it seems the Fort is in the hands of the Captain of the Glazes of Worth. The Overseer, some Kubrik fellow, is in charge, but the Captain is the one going around ordering every security issue to be fixed. I am glad someone is finally shoring up the defenses, I've been staring through that new sky light in the Residential Quarter for far too long. Wonder what other changes this Nil guy has in store...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 08:59:56 am by TheImmortalRyukan »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 20, 2020, 07:34:42 pm »

Now that it's been a few turns since my last one, I'd like another turn as well.

BearvsGiantBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 21, 2020, 03:04:49 am »

3rd of Granite

Surgeon/Diagnostician, Sigmund Tool-obeys had compiled his report for the assembled nobility and former overseers. "Approximately 6% of our population are children, which makes our actual workforce 193.50% as opposed to the originally thought 201". The presentation was going well, the new overseer Kubrik sat attentively; focused, smiling broadly and very wide eyed. The King had placed his head in his hands and had closed his eyes in divine thoughtfulness.

Community Health and Happiness Assessment

"On the positive side, about 10% of our population are feeling great, he announced. On the flip side, 90%, are under some form of ‘Stress’. The causes of this are mixed but chiefly it can be attributed to rain, inability to practice a craft and er… nakedness" (only a handful of our Dwarves are fully clothed). This information seemed to wake the King up. Sigmund looked around the room at the sage council of Legendary workers and former leaders quickly fixing his eyes above their waistlines and back onto his presentation. "This obviously poses a risk to Doom-hollow with the likelihood of riots, tantrums etc as we know from what the peasantry have been calling the great Mental collapse of N.D.506." Grave Nods from all. The new overseer stared at Sigmund like only a circular ascii character could. A deep and wild stare Sigmund had read about in ‘The predator and prey and the universe’. Within this he divined his instruction. Kubrik spoke softly but clearly:  "Floor 96, requisition what you need’ ensure our Chief Medical Dwarf is kept updated". "I’ll start at once", responded the good Doctor.

---

Private notes of Kubrik Pagesnarled

I’m unsure of the credibility of Dr Toolobeys report, everyone from my perspective seems just fine. That said the report provides ample opportunity to explore the figurative chasms of the mind, something I’ve wanted to do for some time. I’ve ordered something be done on Floor 97 next to a literal chasm of the ground (A chasm that was revealed during Nil's security assessment but further down the Z's). For dramatic effect or for practically I am not yet sure. We’ll see what the young Dr comes up with. Once I receive the plans, I will make some helpful edits e.g. the construction of my own Dojo. As for the rampant nakedness whilst I am quite content without trousers I’ve ordered additional clothiers workshops established. For the issue of rain, whilst initial research implies I cannot control the weather, I have temporarily disabled Hunting and Fishing labours. Whilst our Rangers guild has many members they will need to focus on the academic rather than practical art of the hunt.

For future Overseers my goals are:
•   Improve Fort well-being and Isolate ‘risk’ in a productive way.
•   Expand on the questions of ‘Did our anatomies falter?’ (Favourite book) and attempt to discover the key to mysteries of the mind.
•   Make everyone happy.

BearvsGiantBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 21, 2020, 01:06:42 pm »

4th Granite Private notes of Kubrik Pagesnarled

We have needed to remove several key figures from their positions.

Notable among them are:
Cpt of the Glazes of worth, Nil Abanluslem 40,000 stress

He is heavily depressed, and reports say he has stopped drinking. We have scheduled some down time for him and replaced him with my son Sodel. Sodel is a very good swordsdwarf and has one more kill that Nil so I feel this decision will be viewed impartially.

Cpt of the Maroon Treaties, Cpt of the Guard – Dumateggut 35,000 stress

Demateggut is 130 years old and while he has served the fortress well it is time for him to retire. I have replaced him with Ducim Glazehandles, an 80 year old Elite Crossbowman with good management ability. Her evaluation has shown she is fine (12 stress). She values sacrifice which I understand to be a key trait. Similarly the following have been removed from active duty:

Keskalottem Hammerlord 9700 stress
Itongitnk Marksdwarf 48,000 stress

Ralostuk Macelord 56,000 stress

In Nobility and other positions of power, whilst they return their rank and role, they will likely be temporarily removed from the population in order to be given time and space to recover. At risk patients include:
Our dear King NotonKivish: 851 stress

Erin Quill Manager: 24,400 stress

Olonlised Tavern keeper: 14,000 stress , Gusilgeshud Communist: 47300 stress amongst others.

The most unfortunate of these is 75 year old Imush Mengmegid who at 76,400 stress is utterly harrowed, and at such a young age.

I have no concept of how she has managed to survive this long. What I do I do for the happiness of Doomhollow and for her. There is a plan but I pray to Armok I am not too late.

BearvsGiantBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 22, 2020, 02:22:01 pm »

5th Granite Diary of Sigmund Toolobeys, not chief medical dwarf

I have completed the initial designs for the Under-look medical institute with the help of Doc our chief medical dwarf. The work will span approximately 3 floors, 2 of which are structural (water inlet, water drainage). The main center will accommodate medical staff, reception area, hospital, peace garden with happiness waterfall and dedicated workshops for residents and recreational rooms. The rooms will be filled with beautiful things to improve mood and I’ve asked the finest engravers in the forts including Kubrik to smooth and create calming murals.

If we can make just one unhappy dwarf smile it will all be worth it.

In the mean time we have the immediate challenge to deal with of 21 at risk Dwarves. I have divided them into 3 groups. 2 groups have been assigned to temporary military units to transport them to a staging post. They will be asked to wait in a contained environment until the construction of the new areas is completed.

Group 1 : 9’s – 6 at risk dwarves who can continue to exist for the moment in the general population while we help the priority case. Its possible that they may return to stable levels naturally in the fort. Includes: King Notonkivish

Group 2 : 10’s – 8 Very unhappy dwarves. It is unlikely without dedicated support they would recover. Includes: Manager, Erin Quill

Group 3 : 11’s – 7 High Risk patients. It is improbable they will ever return to normality, yet this is the goal of the Underlook. We will try our best. This group includes the former Cpt of the Maroon Treaties, Cpt of the Guard – Dumateggut & former Cpt of the Glazes of worth, Nil Abanluslem.

We’ve provided a temporary dormitory, food, drink and statues.

One statue happens to be of one of the future residence Erin Quill, a grim co-incidence.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 03:47:02 pm by BearvsGiantBear »

BearvsGiantBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 23, 2020, 12:56:05 pm »

5th of Granite Diary of Sigmund Toolobeys, not chief medical dwarf

I’ve discussed the plan with Kubrik:

Bay 1, 2 & 3 - Temporary holding area and future reception

1.   Increase number of idle dwarves

The following must occur in parallel:

2.   High Risk patients are asked to move to BAY 1
3.   BAY 1 Door Delivered
4.   BAY 1 Furniture Delivered
5.   BAY 1 Food and Booze Delivered
6.   High Risk patients arrive and stay at their station in BAY 1
7.   BAY 1 Door is locked
8.   High Risk patients secured!

Then we have some breathing room.

9.   BAY 2 and BAY 3 are mined and set up including doors and sub doors.
10.   Sub-door’s are locked.
11.   BAY 1 is breached (ideally by one of the members of the transport groups).
12.   Very Unhappy Dwarves transport arrives
13.   BAY 3 Locked
14.   All patients secure!

Simple! We can then mine the Under-look facility at our leisure. A stairwell will be built directly to the reception area to allow the patients to enter their new home.

The plan looked good on paper. The order was given and then things began to move.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24