Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Yes or No

Yes
No
Maybe

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24

Author Topic: The Doom of Doomhollow - Year 10 - [Finished]  (Read 51525 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Doomhollow - Year 10 - (Overseers Wanted)
« Reply #300 on: March 24, 2020, 03:24:36 pm »

This save is taking forEVER to unpack

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 26, 2020, 01:10:31 pm »

This save is taking forEVER to unpack

It is rather large.  ;D
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 26, 2020, 06:48:47 pm »

((The save ended up taking 6 hours to unpack, and then yesterday I got kicked out of the apartment so my roommate could get laid. Anyway, while that was happening, I thought about how to play my turn. I think you'll like it.))

Granite 1, 509

I am Zefon Bridgeceilings, and I am overseer.

I am overseer because I have the rutile hat.

I have the rutile hat because I am the biggest, strongest dwarf in the fort, and nobody could take it away from me.

I've always wanted to be overseer, and now I am. I have ideas.

Spoiler: Zefon's Profile (click to show/hide)

Granite 2nd

People are upset. Upset people are bad. I want them to not be upset any more.

They're upset because bad things keep happening to them.

This has been mostly solved.

They're upset because they want to do things, and they can't.

I can solve this.

But first, we have to get rid of the most dangerous dwarves. They are about to go berserk and hurt their fellow dwarves. This is bad.

There are 6 of them. Sadly, several of them are legendary crafters. But either they kill other dwarves and die or they kill goblins and then die.

They will be killing goblins because I am arming them and sending them to destroy the dark fortress of Thiefbraided - capital of the Seductions of Grease, the goblins who have been harassing us. They will die with honor and purpose. I have given them the pick of our armor and weapon stockpiles, so long as they do not take any artifacts.

Spoiler: The Mission (click to show/hide)

Granite 8th

Ducim, the captain of the guard, is too upset to handle her duties. I have replaced her with Dobar, a woman from the fortress guard who looks more stable.

Granite 11th
The tantrums continue, and are getting worse. A speardwarf attempted to murder a child in the halls, but the child outran her after taking several wounds. Dwarves are beginning to stop labor out of fear of each other. I fear bad things are coming.

Granite 14th
The speardwarf from before, Kib Gravecloisters, has murdered a planter. She has been accused of ((a completely unrelated)) murder and imprisoned.

Granite 17th
Elves have arrived. They shouldn't have come.

Granite 24th
One of the high-risk dwarves went berserk and was put down. The rest have been sent on their mission whether they're ready or not. I shouldn't have waited so long.

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

Mistem the melancholy hunter also died. That makes three deaths, and I've ruled for less than a month. I had high hopes. They are dying.

Granite 28th

I gave our new captain a kick in the rear and she got to work dealing out punishments to the tantrumers. Good thing we have a large jail.

((Oh boy! Loyalty cascade! Forget the plan, I'm going to wing it. This ought to be Fun!))

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 27, 2020, 12:39:13 am »

Seems like this turn is gonna be make or break, no pressure Flame ;)

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Anarchy of Doomhollow - Year 10 - (Overseers Wanted)
« Reply #304 on: March 29, 2020, 10:49:50 am »

((I have to ask for a deadline extension. I'm getting 2 FPS and I can only play 2-3 weeks per day. At this rate, I'm not going to be done in two weeks.))

Slate 1st

Nobody remembers that I was a scholar before I was a swordsmaster. I was quite the learned philosopher before I came here. There was something that my master Fayoba used to talk about.

Everyone has physical needs - food, water, shelter. We have those things here. I spoke with the bookkeeper today.

Food: 6500 prepared meals
Drink: 2500 drinks
Shelter: The strong front gate of the fortress and our fantastic bedrooms

"So then Alath, how long will these supplies last us?"
She stared at the wall behind me as she did the calculations.
"Drink is the limiting factor... With the state of the fort, it's best not to resort to water... Only about 9 months. Our food will last us many years so long as it doesn't go bad. This is also assuming the fort stays the same size."
"Okay. Thank you for your time."
"I don't know what you're planning, Zefon, but I hope it works. For all our sake."

A person also has emotional needs. Seeing their family, friends, speaking with their gods, seeing art, wearing fine clothes, all of these are emotional needs. This is what we lack in this fortress.

"You there. Call everyone in from the surface, then shut the gate."
"Kubuk's oblivious out there, sir, she won't listen."
"Then we might have to wait a while. In the meantime, make sure nobody else leaves."
"Yes sir."

In the meantime, I wander the fort speaking with other dwarves.

"What do you want to do more than anything right now?"
"I want to try my hand at weaving."
"How about you?"
"I want to make some more crossbows"
"How about all of you?"
"I want to make a friend."
"I want to take a break."
"I want to pray to Thukkan."
"I want to read a book."
"I miss my husband."
"There's nothing worth eating in this fort!"
"I want to engrave a masterpiece."
"I just need a break!"

Then I've decided. My plan to save the fort begins with this order:
"Everyone, stop all work."
Which was met with much confusion.
"We can coast on our supplies for a while. This is just a trial for now. For now, go relax in the dining hall. Visit a temple. Put down your burdens and take a rest for a while."

As soon as everyone is inside, we will be sealed and safe. We will be a fortress at rest for a while. And I can finally go pray to Toral.

((It was around this time that I noticed there was a named crundle in the third cavern that was covered in forgotten beast extract. I think one of our guests has bitten the dust.))

Slate 16th

Troubling news was brought before me today.

I began making my rounds of the fortress, asking three questions:
"When was the last time you had something to drink?"
"Where is your bedroom?"
"What gods do you worship?"
And I found the son of a bitch.

Erush Problemletter, one of our fortress guard! It's been just over a year since she arrived here, and I bet she's been pinning her crimes on Zefon until now. But with Zefon imprisoned, she's been found out! She lied about getting a drink recently, but I could see her feet dragging. She couldn't show me her bedroom and she has human virtues, and worships a human god!

I picked her up by the throat and crushed her against the wall. I held her there for a full minute. She may have been strong, but I was stronger. She did not choke.
"Bitch. Stukos was my comrade. My brother in arms. You'll rot forever in the walls. I'll make you WISH for a death you can never have."
Her former comrades hauled her down into the depths, to spend eternity trapped with our other vampire.

Slate 21st

I think people are doing better already. We're shut tight inside the fortress. There are many people in the temples. Not so many people in the dining hall. Mostly, they're catching up on their prayers. I dare even say that there have been fewer tantrums! Maybe because I sent the worst offenders on a suicide mission. Is this really all we needed?

Slate 24th

Perhaps I spoke too soon. Unib Graspedwheel the clothier has gone berserk. She is chained up in the jail and poses no danger to anyone.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 30, 2020, 01:08:54 am »

Another vampire? This is truly a cursed fortress.

At least you won't have any shortage of sealed-in lever operators, if you're so inclined.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 30, 2020, 08:02:18 pm »

Felsite 12th

You were supposed to leave and not come back.

That's nice. Now go back and try again.

Felsite 14th

I worked with the human law-giver so that he could go into the lower fortress. He wanted to meet with the baroness. He was insistent that he meet with only her. Not the king/mayor. Who is right here on the outside Or the duchess of Doomhollow. No. The baroness of Mirroredstatic. Ok sir, just hop through the door and I'll lock it behind you. It's on you.

No news that really matters to us.

Felsite 24th

Ilral is the only survivor this time. Should I let her back in? She hasn't stopped being a harrowed, tantruming dwarf with many unfulfilled needs and very little change of being rehabilitated.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 31, 2020, 07:49:26 pm »

I say send her back, she's too dangerous

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 03, 2020, 05:48:22 pm »

Hematite 1st

I yelled at Ilral from behind the closed fortress gate. I told her that this time she would be razing Hateportals. Hateportals is a goblin pits, but it only has a dozen citizens. She has a good chance of beating this one on her own...

Hematite 2nd

...and sure enough, she has. Probably. She's still returning.

Hematite 14th

Two dwarves have died of dehydration, giving up on life. Endok the Pick Legend has stopped responding to the world. Ilral has yet to return, so she is likely dead. Aside from this, though, I think things are still improving. I might begin the next phase of my plan next month.

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 04, 2020, 10:16:00 pm »

Yo, what's the game version on this? I'm curious if nothing else...

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 05, 2020, 02:11:56 am »

Excellent Question!

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 05, 2020, 02:50:11 am »

Started on 0.44.12. BearvsGiantBear played on 0.47.02, and I did as well for my second turn. Being that it doesn't seem like the saves are compatible with the older versions, I imagine Flame is playing a version no older than the one I played.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 05, 2020, 08:09:29 am »

I'm playing 0.47.04. I figured since it was already in 0.47, I might as well bring it to the latest version.

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 05, 2020, 07:05:45 pm »

hrrmmm...nvm then. I can only do 14.03. Oh well, thought I'd take a look

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 06, 2020, 07:44:28 pm »

Malachite 1st

I have made a list of dwarves' needs and their level of satisfaction, as well as actions I can take.

Socializing
 - Bad condition. About half the dwarves want to socialize.
 - I already stopped the entire fort, if they don't want to socialize, I can't help them.

Drink Alcohol
 - Good condition. A few dwarves want alcohol, but they're all prisoners, former prisoners, or undead.
 - No action needed.

Pray
 - Very bad condition. Most dwarves want to pray.
 - Again, they have all the free time in the world. I can't help them.

Stay Occupied
 - Bad condition. About half the fort.
 - Give more dwarves crafts? This one was worsened by my work stoppage.

Be Creative
 - Bad condition. Almost total overlap with staying occupied.
 - Assign creative occupations to bored dwarves.

Excitement
 - Okay condition. Lots of dwarves have it, but not very strongly.
 - I don't know, drop a goblin in the dining hall? I don't know what these people consider exciting.

Learn Something
 - Bad condition.
 - I'm leaning very strongly toward drafting the entire fort as engravers.

Be With Family
 - Very bad condition. More than socializing.
 - I might need to shrink the size of the fort itself. Maybe reduce the number of places dwarves can hang around?

Be With Friends
 - VERY bad condition. The worst out of all of them.
 - Nobody has any friends. That's about the gist of it. This will probably take the same solution as being with family, only more so.

Hear Eloquence
 - Very good condition. Only 4 dwarves care, two are unfettered, two are distracted.
 - I have bigger fish to clean. I'm crossing it off the list.

Uphold Tradition
 - Good condition. Few dwarves care about it, but they're all unfocused.
 - Again, bigger fish. Not worried about it. I'm not even sure what to do.

Self-Examination
 - Very good condition. Basically the same as hearing eloquence, but different dwarves.
 - See above.

Make Merry
 - Okay condition. Half the fort is focused, the other half unfocused.
 - More on socialization. Maybe hope for weddings?

Practice a Craft
 - Very bad condition.
 - Is engraving a craft?

Martial Training
 - Bad condition. A fair part of the fortress that isn't in the military.
 - Short of drafting the whole damn fort, I can't do much.

Practice a Skill
 - Okay condition.
 - Kinda lumps in with the whole "engrave the fort" idea.

Take it Easy
 - Okay condition.
 - I've done all I can.

Make Romance
 - Good condition. Again, it's 4 dwarves and they're split on focused/unfocused.
 - Any solution that fixes the family and friends problem will fix this incredibly minor problem.

See Animal
 - FANTASTIC condition. Everyone who likes to see animals has seen plenty of them.
 - If only every other need could be this easy.

Acquire Object
 - Bad condition.
 - How the hell is this one bad? Do clothes not count?

Eat Good Meal
 - Bad condition.
 - Can't help this one. It makes me feel a bit useless that I have to pass over a need in bad condition.

Fight
 - Bad condition.
 - I got rid of all the tantruming dwarves is the problem. But the way things are going, this won't be a problem forever. I might still drop a goblin into the dining room.

Cause Trouble
 - Okay condition.
 - I don't know, and there are worse problems.

Argue
 - Okay condition.
 - Socializing again

Be Extravagant
 - Fan-FUCKING-tastic condition. The whole fort is unfettered. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, to whatever overseer set up a clothing industry.
 - No action needed!

Wander
 - Okay condition. Most don't care, but those that do are distracted.
 - Kick them out of the damn fort. That's how I feel after conducting 150 interviews. But instead I'll just make them herbalists.

Help Somebody
 - Okay condition.
 - I don't know. I can't really do much to this problem on this scale. I guess I'll ignore it.

Think Abstractly
 - Bad condition.
 - I've already read all the books in the fort. I bet everyone else has too. We need some new books.

Admire Art
 - Okay condition.
 - You know, if the entire fort was engraved, I bet dwarves would see more artwork...

NOW THEN, after all this data collection, I have two ideas:
 - Have the entire fort engrave the entire fort.
 - Trap everyone in one room with all the food.

I only have 7 months left. There's only so much I can do. I'm going to go with the first idea to start with, then work from there. If anything, we'll have plenty of pretty things to look at as we all go insane.

Malachite 5th

Oh look, the duchess has been possessed. She's a gem cutter under all that purple. I guess we're getting a very pretty rock.

... No uncut gems?

Go find a wall nobody will miss, and mine the gems out of it.

Malachite 9th

She started working. Also a performer bit the dust.

Malachite 13th

Neat. Kind of boring, but it's worth 60000☼.

Malachite 14th

The work begins! Because this is the actual day I finished planning. I just put all of it on the 1st for convenience's sake.

Haha look at them go!

Hahaha look at me go! I'm engraving! This is fun.

Look, it's a tree.

This is nice.

Malchite 24th

Inod the mechanic went berserk. Just like Unib, though, he's chained in the jail, so it's fine. Endok died of dehydration.

Galena 9th

A visiting peddler somehow managed to fall down the stone dump. I'm not sure when this happened.

Galena 10th

Oh no.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24