Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Yes or No

Yes
No
Maybe

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24

Author Topic: The Doom of Doomhollow - Year 10 - [Finished]  (Read 51639 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: The Anarchy of Doomhollow - Year 10 - (Overseers Wanted)
« Reply #315 on: April 07, 2020, 09:21:55 am »

Uh oh. What's happening? A loyalty cascade? Or just several dwarves tantruming at once?
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 07, 2020, 02:16:44 pm »

When dwarves start getting interrupted by one another, that's a loyalty cascade. There are actually only ~2 tantruming dwarves left - the rest have been sent away, gone berserk, or recovered. As for how the loyalty cascade is going, you'll find out soon enough...

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 07, 2020, 04:23:31 pm »

When dwarves start getting interrupted by one another, that's a loyalty cascade. There are actually only ~2 tantruming dwarves left - the rest have been sent away, gone berserk, or recovered. As for how the loyalty cascade is going, you'll find out soon enough...

Why do I get the feeling that this'll be Fun? Either way, it's certainly living up to the thread title so far.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 07, 2020, 06:42:15 pm »

Galena 10th

There was a brawl in the corridors which resulted in two dwarves being wounded. Both will recover. It could have been worse.

The fort is being covered in engravings. I'm enjoying myself, and so is everyone else. Being creative, practicing a skill, and staying occupied are all in fantastic condition. However, engraving isn't a craft, so that need is still unsatisfied.

Galena 25th

Oh no.

Luckily for the king, my wife was getting a drink as well. She smashed the farmer's head before he could do much damage. That's my Zon! The king is on his way to be treated.

Limestone 2nd

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how closed our gates are.

I'm not opening them. Most of those goblins are mounted, by the way. Also there are more still arriving. At last count there are 120 goblins, 120 beak dogs, and 40 trolls.

Limestone 16th

Damn.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 07, 2020, 06:56:30 pm »

RIP that poor Peachick
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

KickAssAndGiggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 09, 2020, 07:49:51 am »

Galena 10th

Oh no.

They want to steal my boat, diary. My earring. My pedestal.

The underlook...asylum...so deep...the vampire. Engravings. Dragons. Nil Aban-what's-his-name. Comrade Cog and the combine harvesters hehehehe...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

MY BOAT. MY EARRING. MY PEDESTAL.

MY DOOMHOLLOW!!!

The humble lever: responsible for more dead fortresses than megabeasts, goblins and elves combined!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 11, 2020, 01:57:17 pm »

Sandstone 5th

A few trolls decided to wander into the entrance of the fort, but only one made it past the weapon traps.

A tantruming hunter toppled the main gate lever. We are trapped in here unless we disassemble the entire bridge.

Sandstone 6th

Dobar, our captain of the guard, shot two bolts into Kubrik, one of our legendary engravers. I have no idea what provoked this. Luckily, Kubrik was able to get away wounded but alive.

Then Dobar decided to shoot the hammerer.

Meng wasn't having any of that.

The bolt was fired point blank, killing Dobar instantly.

Meng ran down the hall in fear of what he had done.

He fired three bolts at a bone carver who was engraving the floor at the end of the hall, but only one hit.

Meanwhile, other dwarves all over the fortress turn and run in fear from each other.

I've heard tales of this. A spreading madness that consumes fortresses in a spiral of blood and death.

The Cascade is upon us.

Sandstone 8th

The only thing between us and death is my order that the military remains inactive. Weapon masters flee instead of fighting. Meng shot at a few of my squadmates, but they blocked the bolts with their shields and fled. I would activate them, but I fear that would make things worse.

I followed Meng's flight until he ducked into a workshop, and I locked the door behind him. Hopefully the worst is contained for now.

However...

Dear Toral, please deliver us.

Sandstone 10th

The trolls have toppled the trade depot and are wandering around nearby.

Sandstone 12th

Somehow a goblin pikeman got into the animal enclosure. I locked the doors. He can kill them all, I don't care.

Dwarves are tantruming again. They're terrified by each other. Everything I did was for nothing.

Sandstone 25th

More brawls. Many wounded, but no casualties. Lots of dwarves going hungry or thirsty because they're too afraid of each other. We have about 40 fewer animals, a dead goblin, and a named cow.

Sandstone 28th

I give up. I'm unsuspending all the jobs I suspended a few months ago, and re-enabling hauling. This fort will fall regardless. It's only a matter of time. But I still won't reactivate the military. That will turn the fort into a bloodbath.

Four months left.

I'm only at 1-2 FPS from all the siegers. This is 7 hours of gameplay.

Honestly, is the fort worth salvaging? Should I just end it all with a bang?

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 11, 2020, 02:48:48 pm »

Sandstone 5th

A few trolls decided to wander into the entrance of the fort, but only one made it past the weapon traps.

A tantruming hunter toppled the main gate lever. We are trapped in here unless we disassemble the entire bridge.

Sandstone 6th

Dobar, our captain of the guard, shot two bolts into Kubrik, one of our legendary engravers. I have no idea what provoked this. Luckily, Kubrik was able to get away wounded but alive.

He fired three bolts at a bone carver who was engraving the floor at the end of the hall, but only one hit.

Meanwhile, other dwarves all over the fortress turn and run in fear from each other.

I've heard tales of this. A spreading madness that consumes fortresses in a spiral of blood and death.

The Cascade is upon us.

Sandstone 8th

The only thing between us and death is my order that the military remains inactive. Weapon masters flee instead of fighting. Meng shot at a few of my squadmates, but they blocked the bolts with their shields and fled. I would activate them, but I fear that would make things worse.

I followed Meng's flight until he ducked into a workshop, and I locked the door behind him. Hopefully the worst is contained for now.

However...

Sandstone 10th

Sandstone 12th

Somehow a goblin pikeman got into the animal enclosure. I locked the doors. He can kill them all, I don't care.

Dwarves are tantruming again. They're terrified by each other. Everything I did was for nothing.

Sandstone 25th

More brawls. Many wounded, but no casualties. Lots of dwarves going hungry or thirsty because they're too afraid of each other. We have about 40 fewer animals, a dead goblin, and a named cow.

Sandstone 28th

I give up. I'm unsuspending all the jobs I suspended a few months ago, and re-enabling hauling. This fort will fall regardless. It's only a matter of time. But I still won't reactivate the military. That will turn the fort into a bloodbath.

Four months left.

If we (somehow) make it through this and win the siege, I propose we try and add a [INVASION_SOLDIER_CAP] or whatever.

IIRC, DFHack has a function that can be used to end a loyalty cascade (not that I expect it to do much) - if, of course, the thread is willing to do that. Failing that (and with agreement of the thread) I'd support the 'end it all' option, maybe do a reclaim or start a new thread afterwards.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 11, 2020, 03:23:13 pm »

The Fort shall continue on until it falls! As long as one dwarf still breathes there is hope

So this is how we end huh? Slaughtering each other while trapped. What a way to go. Welp, I'll leave it up to Flame, end it if you think there is no hope.

I guess I better get Book IV ready just in case  :(
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 03:25:35 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Emperor Sheev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 12, 2020, 10:49:04 am »

Sandstone 5th

Sandstone 6th

The Cascade is upon us.

Sandstone 8th

However...

Sandstone 10th

Sandstone 12th

Sandstone 25th

Sandstone 28th

Four months left.

To get rid of some of the lag, I'd recommend shoving all the animals in to a single cage. As for ending the fortz are you thinking HFS or opening up the fortress to siegers?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Doom of Doomhollow - Year 10
« Reply #325 on: April 12, 2020, 06:26:36 pm »

((This was all done by using station orders - no DFhack. At the risk of outing myself as a weeb, I have music to read this update to: Same Nightmare))

Sodel was tired.

Just then, he wanted nothing more than to go to bed. He trudged down the hall toward his bedroom, head down. When he raised his head to open the door to the stairwell, he raised his head. That's when he saw her.

The Enemy, cowering before him.

Something snapped in his tired mind.

He charged down the hall after the fleeing fishery worker, past dwarves engraving the walls, catching her against the wall at the turn.

He hit her in the face with the pommel of his sword, trying to stun her. But his killing stroke went wide, taking off an ear instead of going through her eye socket.

She ducked down and left, trying to escape to the right, back the way they came.

Sodel gave chase.

Then, exhausted, her foot caught on an engraving of a crossbow, and she fell face-first. Sodel was on her in an instant.

Sodel paused over the headless corpse and looked around for more of The Enemy.

There! Down the southern hallway!

The dwarf turned and fled as he saw Sodel begin to run towards him. But a look entered into his eyes, and stopped running, and turned to face Sodel.

The human king tried to keep them apart as they squared off.

But it was in vain.

The fight was over in a single blow. Sodel laughed, slashing wildly at the helpless speardwarf, who was trying to crawl away.

Behind Sodel, Champion Iton saw what was happening to her young squadmate. She raised her spear and charged.

Sodel quickly finished off the speardwarf and turned to face the new threat. But now he was tired.

His first strike was parried, and his exhaustion cost him his left knee.

Sodel gritted his teeth, and fought kneeling. His grimace turned cruel as he took the champion's shield arm and left hip. He laughed out loud as his sword sent the Iton's left arm flying.

Iton, terrified and now tired herself, did her best to fend off the incoming attacks.

Alas, she failed.

Sodel knelt over the corpse of the former champion. His armor and clothes were coated in the blood of his foes; his beard, soaked in it. The fury of The Cascade welled up inside him. And in a raw and ragged voice, he roared at the world:

I AM SODEL SQUEEZERAGS THE LACONIC CANYONS OF TROTTING! I AM CHAMPION!

WHO WILL FACE ME?

The challenge resonated through the fortress.

And many answered.

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 12, 2020, 11:31:44 pm »

wow. Not the way I expected you guys to go down, lol

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 13, 2020, 08:19:19 pm »

Spearmaster Rakust was the next to fall to the new champion.

Elsewhere, others continued the slaughter that Sodel had begun.

Swordsmaster Zon killed a planter on her way to bed.

Kubrik, already wounded, couldn't run fast enough to escape Swordsmaster Dodok.

Dodok then attacked Drazoth, who fled trailing blood from a severed arm.

At the same time, other dwarves gathered in front of the kneeling Sodel, waiting for him to make a move.

Drazoth lost his head start, then his head.

The hammerer tried to shoot Zon, but lost his head for it.

Sodel allowed an engraver to carry him to the hospital. His wounds needed treating, and the engraver was not The Enemy. But Dodok would not allow him to rest. Each of them have titles. Each of them is a legendary swordsdwarf. Each is armored in steel - but Dodok's sword is adamantine.

Now the true champion will be decided...

[sports announcer voice]

Right now! Hello Doomhollow, this is Kubuk Mythirons, your local mooooooooooaning spirit, comin' at you live from the upper hospital, where the murderous captain of the Glazes of Woooooorth and reigning champion Sooooooooodel Squeezerags defends his title from the equally murderous giant slayer Dodooooooook Laborhandled!

Ooooooooooh, and they're already swingin', a few blocks and parries from each and loooooook at that folks, Sodel's evened the playing field with a clever stab under Dodok's guard, putting them booooooth on the ground!

It ain't lookin' so good for our challenger, folks! She's taking quite a bruising and not one hit in return!

But what's this! Another dwarf has dragged Sodel away from the battle, towards a hospital bed! Dodok's still crawling after him, and it looks like Sodel isn't done either!

They're all piled up in the doorway, still stabbing away! Oh! But! What's! This! Sodel has cut off Dodok's shield arm! That's gotta hurt! It isn't looking good for our challenger!

BUT WHAT A COUNTER FROM DODOK!

AND SHE FOLLOWS IT UP BY IMPALING HIM!

BUT SODEL TAKES ADVANTAGE AND CUTS! OFF! HER! OTHER! ARM!

But Dodok still won't go down, biting his eye and kicking his arm, AND IT'S ALL OVER!

LADIES AND GENTLEDWARVES, OUR REIGNING CHAMPIOOOOOOOOOOON

SOOOOOOODEEEEEELLLLLLLLLL

BearvsGiantBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 14, 2020, 10:30:40 am »

What is even happening.

Dear Kubrick shot by an arrow, somehow survives then is deaded by a traitorous duck (Must be avenged).

Sodel (his son) becomes a canyon of trotting; eyeball chewing, champion felling, revenged yay,  mind flayed by rutile ‘forces’, dark knight of the end times and still:

- Werewolf ... Unaccounted for
- Vampire ... Unaccounted for
- Dark invasion ... Unaccounted for

Open the doors! Where is the magma?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 10:32:38 am by BearvsGiantBear »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 14, 2020, 02:16:52 pm »

The last two posts have only covered three dwarf days. Be patient. I'm getting there.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24