Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Rule the Waves 2  (Read 23925 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Rule the Waves 2
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2020, 01:25:58 pm »

That's a yikes from me. I doubt I'd ever buy it regardless of the price though, I don't think I've ever played past the late 40s. The early game is infinitely more interesting than the late game to me.

But what if they expanded the timeline in the opposite direction? Steam powered boats in the 1850s!  :P

Awh yeah, riverboat diplomacy in the age of sail and steam!  That would be game!

As for the late game, the game sort of reflects the trend from 1899's every piece is custom to 1950's mass production that corresponds with consumerism in the same period.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2020, 08:05:26 pm »

Getting into this game again, enjoying it more than last time, but I have er, either discovered something really annoying or I'm really dumb.

Can you not... direct build ships from a rebuild design? You have to rebuild the ship right after it comes out of dock? Seems kinda silly you can't just update the original blueprints
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2020, 11:49:06 pm »

Not sure exactly what you mean.

If you rebuild Ship A, then you can use the designs for rebuilt Ship A (instead of the original) to build Ship B.  You'll see Ship A Year rebuilt in the build menu.

You can't take a ship that is currently under construction and change anything until it finishes (except fire control, which if obsolete the game will ask if you want to add a month to upgrade to the latest).  Yeah, that part really sucks, and is unrealistic.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2020, 02:19:09 am »

You can't build a new ship to a rebuild design, no. Of course, tech advancement is usually pretty quick, and there's a huge discount if you make a new design that is only a slight modification to an old one, so IMO it's not that big of a deal.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2021, 09:45:40 pm »

Bumping this thread since RTW2 has a large expansion coming (hopefully soon) that adds a lot of neat stuff. To summarize, although I probably am missing some stuff:

-Modern naval combat in the cold-war era
-Helicopters, jets, and night flight ops
-Expansion to function of submarines, such as missile subs, and long-range attack subs
-Missiles! Although RTW2 has them in some limited amount, the expansion aims to flesh them out fully
-Ironclads and a longer pre-dreadnought era (hence the name "Ironclads to Missile Cruisers")
-AI nation alliances and wars

All in all, I've gotta say I'm pretty excited for these developments. Since the game is venturing into cold-war era it will also be interesting to see how they handle nuclear deterrence and if that's modeled in the game at all. If you're a nuclear power in the game it would probably be expected by your government that the navy put a certain amount of income into building ballistic missile submarines. Dunno about nuclear propulsion but there is going to be gas-turbine propulsion added as well.

Threads for reference:
https://nws-online.proboards.com/post/80732/thread
https://nws-online.proboards.com/post/80645/thread

All in all I believe Shadow Empire is also supposed to have a naval DLC coming around December 2021, so this should be an exciting time for naval wargaming. If there was a game that combined the naval depth of RTW2 and the excellent land campaigns of Shadow Empire I would be a very happy but unproductive camper  :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 09:50:08 pm by Vivalas »
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2021, 08:40:15 am »

Oh that's good news that the expansion is coming along! This sounds like a great amount of content, and would definitely give me a reason to play this game some more :)

A Shadow Empire/RTW 2 child would be wonderful. Personally I think a space version of this game would be great. Space race with a bunch of different nations claiming systems and resources as your starships get bigger and deadlier. Ooooh my!

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2021, 01:41:28 pm »

Have you played Aurora 4X? I've never been able to get into it myself, but from my understanding, that's pretty much what it is.

Mailo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2021, 04:38:38 pm »

I really hope they will take another look at their DRM system for the DLC ... the only reason why I haven't bought this yet.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2021, 02:35:06 am »

DRM is not that bad. However, game is terrible at generating scenarios. The real interesting tidbit from the change list is that intelligence spending ought to generate better battles, albeit I have super low hopes for it getting anything good anytime soon, since the developer suffer from creative attachment and won't even begin to entertain the idea his baby has a problem.

https://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/5072/randoms-excuse-bad-battle-generation
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 02:38:16 am by LoSboccacc »

Mailo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2021, 11:21:57 am »

DRM is not that bad. However, game is terrible at generating scenarios.
The DRM is "send an email to a yahoo mail adress for an activation code" ... and if you somehow decide to re-install the game on a future computer, but no longer have access to the original one, you need so send another mail, hoping that a) the mail adress is still valid, and b) your request is not simply denied.
That's pretty much the worst DRM there is (with the exception of those that did actual damage to your hardware, granted). A significant part of the posts on the forums is from people with problems with the activation, sometimes waiting weeks for a response.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2021, 12:32:12 pm »

It is a godawful DRM, and, like most DRM, it hurts paying customers more than pirates, because there were pirated versions floating around on Day 1, and they worked just fine without need to email the dev and hope he gets back to you. The fact that the game isn't available on any actual storefront is also a negative to it. This guy needs to get his head out of his ass; he's got a good game here but it feels like he's actively trying to stop people from playing it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2021, 05:31:16 pm »

It is a godawful DRM, and, like most DRM, it hurts paying customers more than pirates, because there were pirated versions floating around on Day 1, and they worked just fine without need to email the dev and hope he gets back to you. The fact that the game isn't available on any actual storefront is also a negative to it. This guy needs to get his head out of his ass; he's got a good game here but it feels like he's actively trying to stop people from playing it.

Well, its his game, and if he wants to be all like "I's be hating pirates and gonna lock me daugher's virtue up tight", then he can.
He totally can chose trying to prevent piracy over making it easier for the playing customer.  It's his game!  He can make those decisions.Not at all to imply that fathers can make those decisions about their daughters, absolutely not after a certain age, just an oldtimey example people

Sorry, I just sometimes feel like people forget that point.  Glloyd, I'm not picking on you specifically, I'm just making a point (hopefully not too much at your expense)

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2021, 06:16:07 pm »

The DRM was a bit of a confusing choice indeed, but I didn't have too much of a problem with it. I understand people have stances against DRM and I mostly agree with those stances and understand them, especially when they are from AAA monoliths. It's been shown that DRM often hurts sales more than just letting people try the game, since pirates were never gonna pay anyways. At the same time, it's not like he locked his game up with Denuvo and installed spyware on your computer. You shouldn't really have to wait for a key but it's also mot the end of the world and if you end up discarding the game because of that it's on you.

DRM is not that bad. However, game is terrible at generating scenarios. The real interesting tidbit from the change list is that intelligence spending ought to generate better battles, albeit I have super low hopes for it getting anything good anytime soon, since the developer suffer from creative attachment and won't even begin to entertain the idea his baby has a problem.

https://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/5072/randoms-excuse-bad-battle-generation

Reading through this thread, the devs and community were being extremely reasonable and explained exactly why these battles could have been happening. Since we're exchanging anecdotes here, I've had just as many RNG matches work in my favor as opposed to working against me. Shit happens, that's how war is.

I mean, he even offered to refund the game, which I think is pretty understanding as devs go. The game hinges itself on historical accuracy and the historical accuracy of being fucked over by circumstances beyond your control is actually one of my favorite parts of the game, I actually love the generator but I guess YMMV. Losing BBs to mines can really sting sometimes  :-[
- Charles Babbage

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2021, 10:58:34 am »

Reading through this thread, the devs and community were being extremely reasonable and explained exactly why these battles could have been happening. Since we're exchanging anecdotes here, I've had just as many RNG matches work in my favor as opposed to working against me. Shit happens, that's how war is.

they offered *no* explanation, idk where you did find one. they offered wishful thinking and ret-connection of things that didn't happen, insofar that when I submitted more samples of the bullshit the game subject its player to it got widely ignored https://nws-online.proboards.com/post/73880/thread because it basically contradicted all their head-canon.

the thread is basically people ignoring facts exercising inane level of cognitive dissonance to protect their dear game.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2021, 01:31:01 pm »

Well, its his game, and if he wants to be all like "I's be hating pirates and gonna lock me daugher's virtue up tight", then he can.
He totally can chose trying to prevent piracy over making it easier for the playing customer.  It's his game!  He can make those decisions.Not at all to imply that fathers can make those decisions about their daughters, absolutely not after a certain age, just an oldtimey example people

Sorry, I just sometimes feel like people forget that point.  Glloyd, I'm not picking on you specifically, I'm just making a point (hopefully not too much at your expense)

Yes, he's free to make those decisions, and we're free to complain about them. I still bought the game and sunk way too much time into it, but the DRM is godawful and precludes long-term playability by design. If the guy dropped dead tomorrow, how would people activate their copies? It's a bad system, and the fact that it's his game doesn't automatically negate any criticism of it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7