Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Rule the Waves 2  (Read 23642 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: Rule the Waves 2
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2019, 01:02:55 pm »

Okay so far Torpedo Light Cruisers and Destroyers seems the way to go...the insane amount of convoy raiding and lucky "whoops my Destroyer/CL just sunk an enemy battleship" moments just make it worth. Gonna go for my new Battleship Class now: The Imperator with 52000 tons with 36 Torpedo tubes for the memes and 14 16 inch cannons at 24 knots and an 18 inch belt no less...tremble british navy....quaaake.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2019, 01:37:00 pm »

Okay so far Torpedo Light Cruisers and Destroyers seems the way to go...the insane amount of convoy raiding and lucky "whoops my Destroyer/CL just sunk an enemy battleship" moments just make it worth. Gonna go for my new Battleship Class now: The Imperator with 52000 tons with 36 Torpedo tubes for the memes and 14 16 inch cannons at 24 knots and an 18 inch belt no less...tremble british navy....quaaake.

That sounds amazing, please post results. I would imagine that torp-spam would get less effective as time wore on with improved torpedo defense research starts getting up there. But if you're rocking 52k tons, I imagine you're already mid-game at least!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2019, 04:32:28 pm »

Speaking of realism:

So I was playing Imperialistic Austria-Hungary, taking over the Mediterranean one island at a time.  Then Italy, my favorite punching bag, gets an alliance with Russia.  So what, the inept bear wants to try fishing in my pond.  But Russia is allied with United Kingdom, so I figure I'm boned.

I try everything in my power to avoid war with the Triple Alliance, but then one of them (I think Fascist Italy) declares war on ME.  So they all declare war on me.

I lose my first naval battle, as expected.  My country is under blockade.  Then, the mighty British Empire's fleet engages mine, Battleship vs. Battleship.

Turret hit on British Battleship, boom Battleship blows up.
Turret hit on British Battleship, boom Battleship blows up.
I guess the British are about as good at handling their ammo stores in my game as in real life.  And then I'm the one blockading Italy.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2019, 09:45:33 pm »

2nd bug fix is available!

Seems like some nice, but mostly minor bug squishes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2019, 10:47:59 pm »

If Austria goes communist, it will be led by a Chairman

Did Communist Austria have a kaiser before or something?  ??? Seems like a feature lol

I played through the demo and love it, will probably get it, although in my demo game that I kinda want to continue I was trying to rush into war in the last year so I could use my converted light carriers, and now as UK I have pretty high tension with US, which seems.... ahistorical.

I get it is supposed to be historical fiction game but I wish there was an option for historical alliances. I don't know much about interwar politics but I can't wrap my head around Britain and the US fighting... even with War Plan Red being a thing and whatnot.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2019, 04:26:49 am »

If Austria goes communist, it will be led by a Chairman

Did Communist Austria have a kaiser before or something?  ??? Seems like a feature lol

I played through the demo and love it, will probably get it, although in my demo game that I kinda want to continue I was trying to rush into war in the last year so I could use my converted light carriers, and now as UK I have pretty high tension with US, which seems.... ahistorical.

I get it is supposed to be historical fiction game but I wish there was an option for historical alliances. I don't know much about interwar politics but I can't wrap my head around Britain and the US fighting... even with War Plan Red being a thing and whatnot.

There was some US interest in entering WW1 on the side of the Germans prior to the U-Boat attack on the Lusitania.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2019, 03:59:12 pm »

as UK I have pretty high tension with US, which seems.... ahistorical.
Not at all. This might be a bit off, because of course they spent the most time trying to figure out ways to defeat the best navy, but almost half of the plans US navy had by the outbreak WWII dealt with a possible war with Britain (War Plan Red.)
Also Japan though (War Plan Orange.) German fleet was not considered meaningful, which coupled with it suddenly being based in France (bypassing the North sea) was the reason US operations in the Atlantic were such a travesty compared to their operations in the Pacific.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2019, 05:44:41 pm »

So I managed to squeeze together a double DP gun, two torpedoes, a mine sweeper, 2 K guns, backup DP charges, 4 AA LMGs, and 20 mines on a 20 knot hull with 800 displacement.

Speed aside - because by the Emperor this thing still faster than 90% of my fleet - is there a reason I shouldn't just build a dozen or so of these ships and send them to commerce raid France who we are almost at war with due to Dinkplomacy?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2019, 08:47:04 pm »

So would you guys suggest diving into RtW2 or start with RtW1? Also what is considered the "best" NWS game?

Scratch that. I am too intrigued and couldn't resist picking RtW2 up. Is there a tutorial somewhere?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 09:45:01 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2019, 09:52:15 pm »

So I managed to squeeze together a double DP gun, two torpedoes, a mine sweeper, 2 K guns, backup DP charges, 4 AA LMGs, and 20 mines on a 20 knot hull with 800 displacement.

Speed aside - because by the Emperor this thing still faster than 90% of my fleet - is there a reason I shouldn't just build a dozen or so of these ships and send them to commerce raid France who we are almost at war with due to Dinkplomacy?

I'm assuming these are corvettes, and by the sounds of it I imagine even if they can raid they'll be caught and unable to run at only 20 knots! But as a Trade Protection ship. Probably a good choice.

So would you guys suggest diving into RtW2 or start with RtW1? Also what is considered the "best" NWS game?

Scratch that. I am too intrigued and couldn't resist picking RtW2 up. Is there a tutorial somewhere?

Don't think there are any dedicated tutorials for RTW2 yet but check out:

Tortuga Power Has extensive series on running RTW and is doing a lot of RTW2
and
The Historical Gamer Has much less RTW2 content but has a few getting started videos that might be useful!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2019, 11:42:52 pm »

The reason is having mines, minesweeping, or ASW don't make a ship a good commerce raider?

In fact, you should avoid having minesweeping or other specialized gear on your ASW ships, since it lowers their ASW rating.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2019, 09:08:10 am »

I'm assuming these are corvettes, and by the sounds of it I imagine even if they can raid they'll be caught and unable to run at only 20 knots! But as a Trade Protection ship. Probably a good choice.

and
The Historical Gamer Has much less RTW2 content but has a few getting started videos that might be useful!

Tortuga Power is an amazing RtW2 LPer. A bonus cool thing is he lets you put ship names in a spreadsheet to "captain" a ship. There is also a whole cool little community of roleplayers who roleplay various kriegsmarine officers in his navy in the comment section and it adds so much depth to the series.

Speaking of which, are there more content updates planned ever? Something like Aurora's officer system would be pretty cool in RtW.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 09:09:41 am by Vivalas »
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2019, 11:13:58 am »

and

Tortuga Power is an amazing RtW2 LPer. A bonus cool thing is he lets you put ship names in a spreadsheet to "captain" a ship. There is also a whole cool little community of roleplayers who roleplay various kriegsmarine officers in his navy in the comment section and it adds so much depth to the series.

Speaking of which, are there more content updates planned ever? Something like Aurora's officer system would be pretty cool in RtW.
I think they're looking at handling Missiles, next, which could conceivably stretch the time range of the series even farther.
Also, if you like Aurora's officer system, I'd recommend Solar War, which has combat similar to RtW, and research and theming more like old X-Com, and is my favorite officer system of any game I've played. https://store.steampowered.com/app/340880/Solar_War/

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2019, 11:28:26 am »

Because destroyers can't be used as raiders, sorry.  You also can't commerce raid until war is actually declared.

Although, it sounds like your plan might be to place them along France's coastline, so that when war is declared you can have them beat on the French navy (and probably sink quite a few of their submarines), for which sounds like great fun indeed.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2019, 07:19:37 pm »

In case anyone else has the same question, though, I'd say that unless you dislike their new activation policy for RtW2, go with it over its predecessor.  It's basically RtW1 plus more, from everything I've seen and heard. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 07:21:14 pm by Culise »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7