Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Captured 10 Giant Cave Spiders from Kobold cave - suggestions?  (Read 1753 times)

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile

There's a Kobold cave near my fortress with GCS and Helmet Snakes as livestock. I can apparently raid them with impunity - my last raid retrieved 10 tame giant cave spiders. Most of the suggestions about managing GCSs assume that only a small number are available; what can I do with large numbers of tame GCS?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Captured 10 Giant Cave Spiders from Kobold cave - suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 02:00:10 am »

Put them in fortifications, let them web enemies. Probably useful against werebeasts in particular.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 03:07:41 am »

Use them to capture forgotten beasts and clowns. Most of those can be caught with a webbed cage trap.

UPD: Oh, and IIRC, dropping webs from a retractable bridge doesn't destroy them, so you can make a machine for capturing friendlies and trapavoids: lock them in a corridor with cage traps, then use a bridge or a series of hatches to drop webs on top of them. It'll be far less bothersome to reset than a cave-in trap.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 03:23:42 am by HmH »

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 07:24:56 am »

• Silk farm
  • Webbing cage traps
  • Ranged support
  • Retracting bridge that drops webs in a hallway, just to slow whoever goes through, works nice with ballistas
  • Animal trainer training (they cannot be fully tamed, so require retraining periodically)
  • On display in cage at library to study for scholars, on display in tavern for looks, on display in temple to scare dwarves to the right path
  • Rarely: pet for whoever loves giant cave spiders or food for those who love to eat them.

Probably they have more applications.

You do not have enough spiders, I hope they breed ;-)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 01:11:01 pm by Urist9876 »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 07:55:50 am »

I believe creatures captured in raids are fully tame, even when those creatures cannot be (fully) tamed by dorfs.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 09:47:02 am »

Wait, can tame giant cave spiders still web things? I'd heard somewhere that they won't...
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 11:48:32 am »

My silk farms usually have a tamed GCS with an undead as the target. Now, I'm not sure I've set one up in 0.44.X, but I don't think any of the logic has changed. I believe there have been issues with using gobbos as targets, though.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 05:52:19 pm »

I believe creatures captured in raids are fully tame, even when those creatures cannot be (fully) tamed by dorfs.
Would the offspring inherit that status?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 09:18:08 pm »

Would the offspring inherit that status?

Offspring inherit that status, and the deal with the Giant Cave Spiders is if they give birth to young, those young are born adults. So this literally means permanently tamed Giant Cave Spiders. This should go in the Dwarf !!Science!! thread.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 04:33:52 pm »

Wait, can tame giant cave spiders still web things? I'd heard somewhere that they won't...

I ran some tests back in 44.05, on the wiki it says (or said, haven't checked in a while) that they don't, but that's not strictly true. I tested a few things out and put the results on that thread, but didn't test everything I should've, cause I really wanted to update to 44.06, and also it didn't even occur to me to test on a megabeast because I was very very new.

TheEqualsE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 05:29:14 pm »

I have a bunch of experience with this.  I've seen hostile things attack a fort and chained spiders do nothing.  Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.  On more than one time a forgotten beast walked right by one of my guard spiders and the spider did nothing.  If goblins attack them the spider waits to be attacked and then maybe fights back.  But, if you stick a bunch of tamed spiders in a cage and unleash them on invaders they will fight and they will spray web.
Likes cats for their aloofness.