Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wagon destroyed by ice - no caravan or migrants. Coincidence?  (Read 1632 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile

I embarked to a large river in a temperate climate and spawned on the ice; being early spring, a freeze line split the river, with a massive waterfall and live river on one side and the flat ice, with my dwarves and wagon, on the other.

Because the water had nowhere to go, it began to stack vertically and formed a wall as it hit the freeze line - which happened to include my wagon. With the sides keeping my items (and dwarves) safe, I quickly evacuated the items and retreated to the upper shore well before spring hit properly, thawing the entire river and deconstructing my wagon.

However, a full season has come and gone - no trader has come this autumn, nor any migrants, despite an accessible depot and a thriving little roadside inn. I'm beginning to suspect that my destroyed wagon has something to do with it, as my init settings should be allowing for them and my parent civ is healthy and strong. I haven't even gotten the "No liason? How curious..." message.

Can anyone else reproduce this? Am I alone in my madness? I'll get the inn a little more well-established and see whether or not travelers solve the problem; if not, I'll retire and re-embark to see if that fixes anything.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wagon destroyed by ice - no caravan or migrants. Coincidence?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 12:38:18 pm »

Apparently the game determines "accessible" edge tiles at embark by connectivity to the embark wagon. If your wagon starts in a chasm, the only "accessible" tiles may be at either end of the river. You might try building a bridge on the edge tiles directly above the river (a "raft landing", if you like), or a retire/unretire cycle to hopefully recalculate "accessible" edge tiles.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 06:08:14 pm »

That's super helpful, thanks. I'll see if I can rejigger it.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 03:50:50 am »

It seems the embark wagon is placed in the biome that's in focus when the embark order is given. This means that in an embark with multiple biomes you can have some control over which part the wagon starts in. To clarify: I'm talking about the F1, F2, ... selection of biomes in the embark area.
Since it seems you have at least two biomes in the area, you ought to be able to direct the wagon to start on the other one (that doesn't guarantee the wagon doesn't just sink when the ice melts, of course).

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 07:09:19 am »

Seriously?  Thats awesome.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 12:43:48 pm »

An educational thread. Thanks!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 01:25:40 pm »

It seems the embark wagon is placed in the biome that's in focus when the embark order is given.
And that explains why sometimes my ocean-side embarks have placed the wagon on the beach where the filthy mucus rains.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?