Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get the seeds I want? Sun berry, whip vine, papyrus.  (Read 2993 times)

n4m3l3ss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The fortress embark area doesn't always contain all the plant species that I want, and the caravans don't sell them (or their seeds) either. Namely, sun berries, whip vines and papyrus.

How do I acquire them? Do I need to keep raiding certain civilizations/locations until I get some? Or do I need to bring them from adventure mode somehow?
In adventure mode, I can walk right over a plant, but I can't seem to get its seeds in any way.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: How to get the seeds I want? Sun berry, whip vine, papyrus.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 03:33:40 pm »

Or do I need to bring them from adventure mode somehow?
In adventure mode, I can walk right over a plant, but I can't seem to get its seeds in any way.
I think you press 'g' when they're ready to be harvested. For sun berries, eating the berry should give you a seed. I don't think this will work for the other two.

You could find an embark that does have a desired plant species, then have an adventurer bring a bag of seeds from that fort to your desired fort.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 05:51:43 pm »

I do this by DFHacking my worlds to ensure all biomes have all flora and fauna legally supported by them. It's also possible to hack just the region(s) present on the future embark just before embarking, while all attempts to hack new plants into an existing embark's list of legal plants have failed except when I've replaced one plant with another, or if the new plant is a "grass", as those are handled separately.
There are DFHack scripts to create plants and items, and those ought to allow you to create a plant that can be harvested with herbalism or a seed directly.

Bumber's suggestion of using an adventurer to carry seeds from one or more seed (producing) embarks to the "real" one sounds like the "non cheating" option, though.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 03:07:07 pm »

Can't you request seeds from merchants (as long as they are from a biome where the seeds exist)? It's been long enough that I can't remember for sure.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 05:45:18 pm »

No, for a number of reasons:
1. You can only request items from the dwarven caravan (I believe there are mods for the others, though), and none of those are among the garden vegetables dwarves may have.
2. Humies can't stand either savage or good biomes, so neither Sun Berries nor Whip Vine is available from them.
3. Elves only carry "seed pods" from trees (i.e. fruit, nuts, etc.), not berries from shrubs (nor the shrubs themselves).
4. Papyrus isn't edible either as a plant or as a seed, and so won't be eligible for caravan carriage (I'm not sure if the dye producing plants have anything edible. If not, they'd be an exception to the "must be edible" rule). Also, neither humies nor dorfs like swamps/marshes.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 06:30:06 am »

3. Elves only carry "seed pods" from trees (i.e. fruit, nuts, etc.), not berries from shrubs (nor the shrubs themselves).
Didn't they carry them in the past? IIRC, elves used to bring strawberries, etc. before the tree update broke caravan stuff.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 07:02:53 am »

Can't you request seeds from merchants (as long as they are from a biome where the seeds exist)? It's been long enough that I can't remember for sure.

Only with modding to add in nobles to make trade arrangements when you're a barony or higher, some of the slightly defunct guild entity and position tags still work in context of humans. Else you can mod and add in your own roles if you know what you're doing.

You could use this to request things from elves that visit you to target specific creatures you want to obtain the same way you order anything else rather than gamble your luck year by year.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 07:41:08 am »

Didn't they carry them in the past? IIRC, elves used to bring strawberries, etc. before the tree update broke caravan stuff.
Before my time, so I don't know. It hasn't changed since 0.40.X, though. I agree it looks like several things are broken when it comes to elven caravans, though:
- "Grown" non organic "recently" introduced items such as pedestals
- Apparent illiteracy (never carrying any "books")
- FB/Titan/Clown silk instrument string parts (it's been claimed procedurally generated metals can be present as well, but I've never seen any despite looking for them)
- No seeds from shrubs (probably because they never bring any bags)
- No berries
- Only empty barrels
- No thread or cloth. Could be explained away by having "grown" garments being produced directly by enslaved plants, though.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 06:30:50 pm »

Before my time, so I don't know. It hasn't changed since 0.40.X, though. I agree it looks like several things are broken when it comes to elven caravans, though:
- "Grown" non organic "recently" introduced items such as pedestals
- Apparent illiteracy (never carrying any "books")
- FB/Titan/Clown silk instrument string parts (it's been claimed procedurally generated metals can be present as well, but I've never seen any despite looking for them)
- No seeds from shrubs (probably because they never bring any bags)
- No berries
- Only empty barrels
- No thread or cloth. Could be explained away by having "grown" garments being produced directly by enslaved plants, though.

I used to buy sun berries from elves in 0.40 and other versions, and got seeds after processing them. Not sure if that changed recently.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 12:47:42 pm »

On rare occasions I have been able to raid plants from sites.