Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Magic Mod  (Read 3908 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Magic Mod
« on: May 28, 2019, 05:44:11 pm »

I have been throwing around the idea of working on a dwarven magic mod on the side and wanted your guys thoughts on it. I was thinking of creating a bunch of spells and then creating a few new creatures as classes to take into adventure mode.

An example creature would be  "Dwarven Earth Mage" [COPY_TAGS_FROM:DWARF] with the CDI at the bottom. I could also add the ANIMAL tag to them so if you wanted them to show up in a civ you would just add the animal class.

I was thinking earthen magic to keep with a dwarven theme but could expand it. Thoughts?

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Magic Mod
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 07:03:34 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173966.0

Dwarf Fortress - not DnD, not might and magic. It is very special setting. And need only special mages. Fierball-shooting and spiritshield-creating wizards from RPG is forbidden.

I like DF and RPGs like DnD so I am fine with having some high fantasy spells. I was thinking more dwarfy spells though like earth spike, seismic toss, ground quake/stomp, stone skin, boulder toss, etc. magma and metal too

Druid - magus, who make sapient creatures mindless and mutate them into trees. Needs trees sphere and dream of bringing lasting peace to the world.

This is cool idea but it seems more elfy than dwarfy to me. Maybe some kind of fungal or cave spore magic instead though the idea seems on the evil side.

Medium - magus, who can summon ghosts of historical figures. Needs sphere of knowledge and dream of seeing the great natural places of the world.

This is cool. Not sure how to do it though but I can look into it. This might create a tantrum spiral though as ghosts are everywhere and dwarves hate seeing them.

Summoner - summon bogeymans or bogeyman-like imps. Needs sphere of nightmares and dream of ruling the world.

Seems like a goblin or other evil entity class. Could summon earth elementals and other earthy creatures though.

Constructor - not reanimate parts like necromancer, but can grab corpses and parts for construct (using medical skills) from it procedure generated special zombies - Constructs. Needs sphere of blight and dream of creating a great work of art.

Also cool idea but doesnt feel dwarfy especially with their ethics. Could be something for the future.

Animator - can make elementman from material (make special statue and animate it) and animate furniture. Needs sphere of creation and dream of crafting a masterwork someday.

This is cool. Maybe a bronze colossuses or clockwork construct would be cool.

Alchemist - immortal with only metal tissues and quicksilver blood. Needs sphere of metals and dream of stay alive.

Also cool. Could do a lot with alchemy from potions to just "cast iron skin"

Incubus/Succubus - improved version of night trolls who not married but will breed with sapient creatures. Needs sphere of lust and dream of falling in love.

Doesnt really fit the mod idea.

Vendigo - night creature hunter, eat intelligent creatures and can control weather. Needs sphere of murder and dream of stay alive.

Also doesnt fit the mod idea. Weather magic could be cool though, earthquakes, volcanoes, etc

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 11:55:42 pm »

Not make RPG from DF. This is very very stupid idea. Only DF style mages.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 01:51:50 am »

Remember brolol is doing this for their own sake, and possibly others they think would be interested in a mod like this. They're free to do whatever they wish with the setting, and if you don't like the idea you simply don't have to play the mod. Calling others ideas stupid is not very nice.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 06:34:19 am »

Remember brolol is doing this for their own sake, and possibly others they think would be interested in a mod like this. They're free to do whatever they wish with the setting, and if you don't like the idea you simply don't have to play the mod. Calling others ideas stupid is not very nice.

He said the same thing about my dog mod. Its alright though. We will just agree to disagree.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 06:35:03 am »

I'm no modder and haven't done much in this direction, but I've been toying lately with the notions of dwarfish runesmithing-- the careful setting of powerful runes into weapons, armor, and other such items.

The reaction might go as follows:

Reagent: rough gem --> Grind rough gem into rune powder (skill: Alchemy) --> rune powder
OR
Reagent: small cut gem --> Grind cut gem into rune powder (skill: Alchemy) --> rune powder
OR
Reagent: large cut gem --> Grind large gem into greater rune powder (skill: Alchemy) --> rune powder
Reagent: rune powder, weapon/armor --> Scribe rune on item (skill: Alchemy) --> rune-inlaid item

Rune powder would be a decoration item, set into something in a manner similar to other decorations. Runes would yield effects varying in nature and in power, depending on what type, rarity, and size of gemstone you used.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 09:14:57 am »

I'm no modder and haven't done much in this direction, but I've been toying lately with the notions of dwarfish runesmithing-- the careful setting of powerful runes into weapons, armor, and other such items.

The reaction might go as follows:

Reagent: rough gem --> Grind rough gem into rune powder (skill: Alchemy) --> rune powder
OR
Reagent: small cut gem --> Grind cut gem into rune powder (skill: Alchemy) --> rune powder
OR
Reagent: large cut gem --> Grind large gem into greater rune powder (skill: Alchemy) --> rune powder
Reagent: rune powder, weapon/armor --> Scribe rune on item (skill: Alchemy) --> rune-inlaid item

Rune powder would be a decoration item, set into something in a manner similar to other decorations. Runes would yield effects varying in nature and in power, depending on what type, rarity, and size of gemstone you used.

This is a really cool idea. I'm not sure how or if it would work, but I can look through the raws to see if I can have set items change the properties of the original item or add interactions to the creature equipped.

I was thinking this though:

Reagent: stone --> scribe runestone (skill: Engraving) --> [stone name] [rune name] runestone (example: granite ustos runestone)
OR
Reagent: rough gem --> scribe rune (skill: Engraving) --> [gem name] [rune name] rune (example: onyx tosid rune)
OR
etc.
Reagent: runestone/rune + weapon/armor --> set runestone/rune (skill: Gem Setter) --> [item name] ([rune name]) (example: steel war hammer (granite ustos runestone))

RUNES
Anger: ustos rune
Armor: tosid rune
etc.

Thoughts?

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 09:34:44 am »

This is a really cool idea. I'm not sure how or if it would work, but I can look through the raws to see if I can have set items change the properties of the original item or add interactions to the creature equipped.

I was thinking this though:

Reagent: stone --> scribe runestone (skill: Engraving) --> [stone name] [rune name] runestone (example: granite ustos runestone)
OR
Reagent: rough gem --> scribe rune (skill: Engraving) --> [gem name] [rune name] rune (example: onyx tosid rune)
OR
etc.
Reagent: runestone/rune + weapon/armor --> set runestone/rune (skill: Gem Setter) --> [item name] ([rune name]) (example: steel war hammer (granite ustos runestone))

RUNES
Anger: ustos rune
Armor: tosid rune
etc.

Thoughts?

Not without DFHack. The best you can do with just raws is use a rune + weapon/armor to create an entirely different weapon/armor with different stats

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 04:23:39 pm »

that may be a better option anyway.

maybe to simplify the process it could just be:

Reagent: weapon/armor -> scribe [rune name] rune onto weapon/armor (Engraving) -> [rune name] weapon/armor

Example: steel war hammer -> scribe ustos rune onto weapon -> ustos steel war hammer

Weapons could cause symptoms on contact and Armor could just be stronger stats unless contact interactions work on it

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 05:42:07 pm »

I've done about 120 spells for my warlock mod, but the dwarven behaviour (AI wise) has changed a lot since then. I'm all for this, but mostly because I wanted to make a new one myself anyway. :D
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 06:15:28 pm »

Reagent: weapon/armor -> scribe [rune name] rune onto weapon/armor (Engraving) -> [rune name] weapon/armor

Example: steel war hammer -> scribe ustos rune onto weapon -> ustos steel war hammer

Weapons could cause symptoms on contact and Armor could just be stronger stats unless contact interactions work on it

I don't think contact interactions would work with weapons or armor. Although I may be wrong about that

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 06:37:43 pm »

I've done about 120 spells for my warlock mod, but the dwarven behaviour (AI wise) has changed a lot since then. I'm all for this, but mostly because I wanted to make a new one myself anyway. :D

It would be awesome if you want to contribute spells to it :) do you have a list of the spells that your warlock mod already has?

I was originally thinking that this mod would start with dwarfy magic, but it could be expanded to include other types of magic as well.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 06:38:51 pm »

I don't think contact interactions would work with weapons or armor. Although I may be wrong about that

Do you think just a syndrome would work like a poison?

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2019, 09:14:33 pm »

It may have changed since I last investigated, but contact syndromes from materials that were made into weapons and armor weren't applied to either the wearer or their target. But it's been a version or two since I actually tested that so it may no longer be true. Poison that is added as a splatter can inflict syndromes, but for that you either need dfhack or to carefully coat weapons through micromanagement of dumping (or evil weather)
Pages: [1] 2