Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven Magic Mod  (Read 3858 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Dwarven Magic Mod
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 05:34:51 am »

The only way to apply a syndrome in a metal is to have the metal melt at skin temperature AND causing a stuck-in hit. For example a syndrome-bearing arrow that gets stuck in a wound, then melts.

Overall magic spells are restricted to interactions; magic items require dfhack. Even teaching dwarves magic, aside from worldgen slabs, is difficult without dfhack.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 01:45:47 pm »

Well then the runes were a good idea, but because of their limitations I dont think they will make it into this mod.

right now I am thinking the following each as a standalone pack:

Dwarf Geomancer (manipulation of stone/earth/magma/metal):
offensive: earthquake, earth spike, etc.
defensive: stone skin, iron skin, etc.

Dwarf Golemancer (creation with stone/earth)
creating creature: clay golem, stone golem, mud golem, bronze construct, sand golem, etc.

Dwarf Summoner (summoning of stone/earth creatures)
summoning: onyx dragon, sapphire wyrm, etc.

Dwarf Clockwork Mage (creating clock work creatures)
creating: clockwork dragon, clockwork dwarf, etc.

Dwarf Alchemist (creating potions and transmutation)
transmutation: wood -> stone, stone -> metal, etc
potions: fungal form potion, etc.

Thoughts?

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 02:42:52 pm »

Well then the runes were a good idea, but because of their limitations I dont think they will make it into this mod.

right now I am thinking the following each as a standalone pack:

Dwarf Geomancer (manipulation of stone/earth/magma/metal):
offensive: earthquake, earth spike, etc.
defensive: stone skin, iron skin, etc.

Dwarf Golemancer (creation with stone/earth)
creating creature: clay golem, stone golem, mud golem, bronze construct, sand golem, etc.

Dwarf Summoner (summoning of stone/earth creatures)
summoning: onyx dragon, sapphire wyrm, etc.

Dwarf Clockwork Mage (creating clock work creatures)
creating: clockwork dragon, clockwork dwarf, etc.

Dwarf Alchemist (creating potions and transmutation)
transmutation: wood -> stone, stone -> metal, etc
potions: fungal form potion, etc.

Thoughts?
Oh, no! Stupid RPG! Make DF style mages and no one more.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2019, 03:53:14 pm »

to be honest I find making spell interactions fun and would just be doing this on the side as a fun activity. The more ridiculous and extravagant and intense the spell, normally the more fun it is to make. So, I dont have much interest in creating a low fantasy magic mod.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2019, 10:36:42 am »

Oh, no! Stupid RPG! Make DF style mages and no one more.

Why condemn somebody else's mod? You can just... not download it. Are we not allowed to have "RPG magic", because you don't like "RPG magic"?
Anyway, there's far more setting-breaking mods out there than this one. I've seen at least two total-conversion My Little Pony mods over on the Mod Releases board.

Thoughts?

You've got a nice arrangement there. A combination of workshop reactions and divine secret interactions oughta take you far in implementing them.
Only thing is, the Clockwork Mage seems a little out of place with the others? And I feel like there'd be some unecessary overlap between it and Golemancy.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2019, 11:10:37 am »

Yeah I see that. Do you think the summoner should be removed as well since the golemancer could take that role?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2019, 11:30:50 am »

If you need some extra inspiration, have a look at http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=134395.msg4903697#msg4903697

You can find the files for it in the legacy Masterwork Mod for 34.11
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2019, 10:22:56 am »

If you need some extra inspiration, have a look at http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=134395.msg4903697#msg4903697

You can find the files for it in the legacy Masterwork Mod for 34.11

Awesome thanks. I will take a look through it.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 10:14:09 am »

I have been working on this idea for awhile now, but in a slightly different direction.

I decided that the dwarfiest magic should of course come from alcohol. So, this mod will now add magic (as temporary can do interactions) through new types of whiskey.

Bearded Morels (a mushroom identical to plump helmets) can be "brewed" at a still into dwarven whiskey.

Or, it can be distilled at a whiskey still (new workshop) with a combination of "other stuff" to make special whiskeys that grant magical abilities.

So, my questions to you guys are:

Should this new workshop use brewing or alchemy?

Should this "other stuff" be from the vanilla game (e.g. a dragon's tooth and bearded morel can be distilled into dragonfire whiskey that grants the ability to cast dragonfire) or should this "other stuff" be new plants and creatures. If it uses existing creature parts I will have to mod vanilla raws.
Pages: 1 [2]