- 0 (0%)
Reclaim it
- 1 (33.3%)
Go back to being a dwarf and end this thread
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: July 26, 2019, 08:54:25 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Badwild: Let's go get killed by things!  (Read 12657 times)

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
Badwild: Let's go get killed by things!
« on: May 30, 2019, 08:32:19 pm »

I suck at writing, so time to steal borrow indefinitely without permission an introduction.

I press a button I press a lot of buttons (because advanced world gen is complicated), and a world is birthed. I cancel that one and the next several dozen, tweaking parameters almost every time. Mountains rise (sometimes, I forgot to turn erosion off which prevented them from spawning a few times, long story), rivers spring forth (sort of, they're all small and mutant), and mighty civilizations wake (often times not the ones I want, incurring instant cancellation). For two hundred and fifty years the powers of the world like a hundred years some civs do battle do civ stuff; they wake and war and die at my whim just cause, y'know, they do that. Innumerable stories unfold before my eyes, every one a tale of life and joy and pain and death. The century flows past in seconds, and the Domain of Prophecies whatever the name of the world I sorta liked takes life and isn't instantly deleted.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After about an hour and a half of all that I finally have something that isn't complete garbage! Behold!

Well, not garbage by an arbitrary set of metrics I decided to obtain before starting world gen. Let's just get on with it, hm? Finding the perfect spot is a tricky measure and often involves going through multiple worlds, which is one of the reasons I can never remember the name of the world I'm in.

A minute or so in, and I'm just making my former statement look false. Hark!

Just the kind of spot I was looking for! What a wonderful spot for our gobl—oh right, I forgot to mention that this is gonna be a goblin fort. But what a blissful location for our goblins to die live! Normally I would look deeper into the effects of the joint evil biomes, but in this case not knowing is half the !!FUN!!. Will it be reanimating? Will there be thralling clouds? Will the rain instantly cause heavy bleeding out of every orifice? Who knows!

The goblin mining corps or whatever warns me about the aquifer before I confirm my suicide squad expedition to the location, but I ignore their pleas for mercy.

Embark time! What's this?

Ogres! Didn't know goblins could have those. What size are th—OH.

Maybe I won't instantly die. I take a breeding pair of them, along with a pair of trolls. This is pretty expensive, but I don't have much else to spend the points on.

I also take a bunch of whips because they're dirt cheap. Gotta love abusing unbalanced systems. Now that all that is sorted out, all I've got to do is tweak the labors of my starting seven.

I decide to adhere to the goblin rules outlined by Superdorf.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll be tweaking the rules a little, but for the most part they will be observed. All goblins will be split into one of two castes: craftpeasants and medics. Medics are just that: medics. Generally they will also have some other important job, or a job that can't/shouldn't be drafted. Mining, woodcutting, noble-ing, y'know. Craftpeasants are the other caste. They do everything else. Crafting, hauling, fighting, and just in general killing themselves for me. I embark with three medics and four craftpeasants, which is a much higher medic:craftpeasant ratio than I intend to have later on. Medical training is just a pain in the butt, and seven craftpeasants aren't needed to found a pit.

I'll also be stealing the same goals: murder every site that isn't a goblin site. I'd murder the goblins too, but there's only one goblin civ and I physically cannot attack it.

Budget constraints mean we get the same dwarven narrator we always do. He notes that there are cougars here. Hopefully they won't be giant undead cougars, but hey, whatever happens happens.

With that, it's off to the races! Feel free to ask for gobboings, though be aware I'm not gonna break the caste system or really go out of my way to keep anybody from dying. That said, you can have as many twin brothers as you like, so don't be afraid to ask to be re-gobboed if you die.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 03:10:18 pm by NordicNooob »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: Badwild: Let's go get killed by things! (Community Game)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 10:04:51 pm »

I've... I've been out-snarked! Alas! I am undone!

All luck to you, sirrah. This is gonna be hilarious. :D
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine broke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 11:20:42 pm »

Me when i first saw that map:
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 01:03:51 am »

Whats up with the map, its all over the place.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 10:04:27 am »

The embark itself is nice enough. It has three distinct features.

A big flat space with a lot of trees and a big hill to the right side of it:

A steep seaside cliff:

And the mountain that the aforementioned big flat space is on top of. My goblins have intelligently decided to scramble the wagon and embark on the mountain's side.

More interestingly, there seem to be no signs of the evil imbued into the land. Not a single creature outside of my group, and regular rain of good old water pouring from the sky in both biomes.

First, however, I need to make some slight alterations to the landscape.

I unpause, and it appears I spoke too soon.

Maladorous filth (green), heinous ooze (purple), and an undead crab all come into being in quick succession. I scold the game's poor aesthetic taste putting lime green and royal purple so close together.

Still, this means a few things:
1. No evil clouds. This is somewhat relieving, as I don't want my goblins (or worse, my ogres) fighting stuff and then getting thralled by an interloping clouds.
2. The ocean biome is reanimating. Giant undead sperm whale = possible.
3. Heinous ooze causes vomiting, so the pit will be coated in the traditional dwarven vomit layers. I'm not sure what maladorous filth does.

Suddenly, there is strife! An ogre has been attacked by the undead crab while trying to clean itself off in the single tile of non-ocean water available.

For some reason, our colossal ogre is afraid of the comparatively tiny undead crab, and doesn't take any real action until he becomes enraged and punches it across the landscape. Like an elephant and a mouse.

Speak of the devil and he shall appear!

That said, this gives me the last of the info on the evil features of my two biomes. I can rest easy (ish) knowing that the place I'm going to be working in isn't reanimating, although regular elephants are about as worrisome as undead elephants. While regular elephants aren't as dangerous, they'll still kick in the heads of my goblins, and with the undead wildlife of the other half of the map, it's likely they'll be turned into undead elephants some time down the road. These created undead elephants will be even worse than the regular wildlife, since they won't leave the map naturally.

Still, I almost want to capture some. What better way to bring down the dwarves than with a bunch of war elephants?

The elephants don't bother anybody, thankfully, and progress happens peacefully. Normal stuff is dug, workshops get built, and regular stuff happens. Except for that little red arrow.

Those three little red arrows. We have been here for less than a month! How is anybody at all stressed, much less three of them?! Upon further looking into it seems it's a goblin, a troll, and an ogre, so it's not a specific problem with any race that I brought along. But still, like, sure evil rain isn't conductive for stress, and sure goblins are prone to anger which tends to be bad for stress, but come on.

Guess I'll have to take some preemptive measures.

What? Did you think I was gonna try to "improve conditions" like a dwarf? We're the bad guys, remember?
Okay yeah we're gonna have to improve conditions somehow. Can't be getting wood out in the evil rain or else everybody is gonna go insane.

I daresay I've set a record. Depressed by the 4th of Felsite!

--------------------------------------------------

In replies to the wtf is that map questions, I used a lot of advanced world gen. I've made much more hellish landscapes before, but nothing is quite as hideous as a patchwork world, which is basically just maxing out every variance slider you can find. Compresses biomes which makes it a lot easier to find a good spot in a smaller amount of space and causes civs to distribute themselves across a larger amount of land.

Also, I can't say I've ever had a fort go to crap this fast. I've had dwarves live in deplorable conditions for seasons on end (ie, drinking water, sleeping on glacial floor, and waiting for an aquifer breach while shaking off the effects of evil weather) and not get this unhappy, but it seems that goblins are a lot more easily stressed.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 08:09:08 pm »

Whoof, evil biomes really mess up critters' mental health with the new stress updates.

klonk
Sigtext

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 08:21:33 pm »

I know, right? I've never actually done an evil embark where I don't just hole myself up right away, so I'm surprised about the massive effects it has had on my goblins. More interestingly, the trolls and ogres seem more susceptible to stress than goblins, and I almost regret bringing them now that I know that. Spent a thousand points on the buggers just for them to go bonkers in the first year. Could've brought so much ore instead.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 08:22:33 pm »

Badwild is... doing okay-ish.

A kobold comes, and is scared off by angry and/or depressed trolls and ogres. Oh right, they're thirsty too, since all I have to drink on the map is that single tile murky pool. I didn't really plan for trolls needing to drink.

The giant jaguar wanders to the wrong place at the wrong time and is spotted by a troll and an ogre, both of which give chase!

A pretty funny picture is painted when a goblin pits decides that our wonderful "fortress" is a good place to look towards for economic prosperity. This is the same fortress that, in the same shot, has sad trolls chasing after a giant jaguar.

After a while, the ogre falls into depression and stops chasing the jaguar. The jaguar finally gets cornered up against a cliff, and...

It jumps off the cliff.

After yet another chase when the last chasing troll finally gets down the cliff (without jumping) the jaguar is finally pummeled into fine paste. Not without a fight after it gets enraged, but it dies without further incident, in a non-reanimating section of the map. Whew!

Things finally start looking up after this. Metalwork starts getting founded, bedrooms are finally made enough to be usable (no doors but whatever), and tetrahedrite and galena are found on the map. They're not iron, but I can't honestly say I'll be sad to have silver whips.

The first merchants arrive (albeit without wagons thanks to some weird stuff with the ground just outside my entrance) and are ushered into my little dirt hole in the wall. Our resigned broker has a chat with the dwarven outpost liaison (no baby snatcher textbooks, mind you) and tells him to bring all the iron. I don't buy anything because there's nothing good to buy, but I make some spiked wooden balls anyways.

A week or so later, and... Well, I lied about things getting better.

Some undead albatrosses descend on an ogre who is in depression and start ineffectively wailing at it. It isn't pictured because it's trying to drown itself in the drinking hole, but seems to be incapable of doing so. I decide this is bad, and send my copper whip/wood shield equipped craftpeasants to deal with it.

They're effective, except for the part where one of them dodges into the ocean and drowns. The depressed ogre doesn't notice when the zombie albatross stops attacking it.

Things start looking up shortly after, though, when some migrants finally arrive. Good, because most of the fort is sad and we'll need somebody to engrave slabs when all the others are wandering around obliviously in the evil sludge piles.

They're all handed their complementary whip and shield, and told that their lives mean nothing to me.

At long last, I decide that enough is enough and choose to breach the caverns for water. The first source I find isn't infinite, but it's right below the main staircase and big enough for quite a while. If the fort lives long enough for water to be a problem (which I doubt, even if the trolls don't all die of sadness and stop drinking) then I'll figure it out when I get there.

In hindsight, didn't I embark on a full map aquifer?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 08:43:28 pm »

You're not allowing yourself bridges, but what about screw pumps? You could pump-purify ocean water for an infinite drinking supply. (Of course, that ocean is not exactly the friendliest of places to be trying to drink from... but then, neither are the caverns. So. Eh.)

Your writing continues to be delightfully snarky. I approve.

klonk
Sigtext

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 09:37:57 pm »

I think I'll allow myself screw pumps if I need them, and I actually made some stuff for them since I thought I would be hitting aquifer, but for now I'm just gonna use the caverns and call water a "later" problem, especially since my trolls and ogres are all gonna die anyway. One troll has gone stark raving mad and had to be butchered, and the ogre that tried to drown itself is harrowed, so there won't be any breeding pairs to increase the number of water drinkers. Sure, there's wounded, but just doing some Fermi estimate kind of crap I think there's like 3000 Urists of water in that little pond. Knock on wood, but I don't think I'll need that much. If I do ever have a water shortage I can always pump from the aquifer that should be just under the ocean.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 05:31:43 pm »

Badwild is still doing okay-ish.

The first death is a troll that goes stark raving mad and gets butchered as a safety measure.

In better news, the bedroom wing is "finished" (I might add doors but probably not) and smoothed. Maybe I'll engrave it sometime. Eh, I should wait until enough horrible stuff has happened to taint the engravings.

In addition, a hospital has been made and

A little while later, some migrants come along to fill those beds. As before, they get their whip and shield and are told to abandon all hope. Well, except for the hope of getting some sick low quality copper helmets, which I should get around to getting.

Some of them have decent combat skills, albeit not in areas I want. Spears? Bows? Psh, everybody is gonna be a lasher since I'm too lazy to count equipment pieces what with all the death going around (well, death that will soon be going around), and whips seem to be effective against just about everything.

Moments later, the sad ogre goes berserk! I thought for sure it would become melancholy, but whatever.

It does not go well for the ogre. It strangles a beak dog (not to death, mind you) and give some bruises, but my untrained pile of whip wielding peasants is no match for the mighty beast.

The goblins celebrate by dancing over its corpse, quite literally. It went berserk in the tavern, so they are in fact standing on its corpse dancing.

Say, what kind of dance is it, anyways?

Ah. They seem to be having a rap battle on top of its corpse, my apologies.

While my goblins celebrate in their weird goblin-y fashion, I take a look back on the combat reports and notice something.

Every weapon that wasn't a whip did literally nothing. Even most of the whip hits just bruised, the killing blow was that lucky blow to the head. That could have been very bad had the ogre not just been groping a beakdog for half the fight.

My miner goblin has been getting bored lately, so I also give him some work to do.

Behold! A small tree farm that probably won't do anything for a long while, and even then provide very little wood. Meh, nothing better to do.

An unhappy goblin also decides to start a fistfight with the only troll left.

The goblin gets punched unconscious, and then beaten in the head until death. Eh, they were as good as dead anyways, its mercy to have your skull painfully crushed in over the course of several in-game hours rather than be brutally dismembered during the first siege. A small mercy, but a mercy nonetheless.

The hospital is also cracking up a mortality rate.

Thanks to a lack of thread (thanks a lot, useless caravans!) and a lack of soap, it has already claimed two lives.

Make that three. Hello there, infected ogre that somehow lost a limb. No recent combat reports, although I'll note that there's an ogress left lower leg on the ground over by the offices. You wouldn't know anything about that though, would you, the-only-ogress-in-the-fort?

And also, huh.

I've already slabbed all my goblins in the wonderful new catacombs.

But I guess ogres and trolls have souls too. Good thing I made extra slabs. I'll queue up a few more just to be safe.

More interestingly, it's the ogre that went berserk, except the ghost is... are ghosts supposed to be insane?

To give timeframe to events I'll start including dates at the end of each update. It is currently the 1st of Opal, 101. (I embarked in 101 and not 100, so it has only been like one year, not two).

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2019, 11:12:20 pm »

Posting to watch.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
Re: Badwild: Let's go get killed by things! (Community Game?)
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2019, 03:33:40 pm »

Soo, uhh, problem. My laptop's keyboard is finally starting to give out, which tends to be an issue when playing Dwarf Fortress. Currently the top left corner (ESC, one, tilde, TAB, the letter above A, and my caps lock) are flat out not working, ever, and my A key is just being regular old stupid as it has been for like a year.

I'll be getting a new laptop in a month or two, but the point of a goblin fort is to not care about it, so I'm not sure if I'll bother with picking it back up then, and if the "month or two" is closer to the "or two" I'll be off at college and likely won't have the time to play.

Also, sorry methyl, PTW like that just for me to say "Nah" to your hopes of actually having anything to read.

Lastly, I'm totally willing to upload a save if anybody cares to continue it as a succession fort, play it themselves (as a community game or just for fun), or just have a look at how on fire it is.  It's currently mid-spring, just as the caravan is packing up, and just after a migrant wave arrived. I was trying to sort the migrants into my system when my keyboard stopped working, so only some have the craftpeasant profession. I haven't accomplished enough to be worthy of another update, the only real thing I've done is traded, received the migrants, and mostly finished a new entryway to fight sieges in.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2019, 03:53:05 pm »

Ooh ooh, save please! I've been thinking about turning this idea of ours into a proper succession game for awhile now.

klonk
Sigtext

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2019, 07:04:28 pm »

Here ye are.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14399

It already looks like a succession fort and nobody but me has laid hands on it. Heh. To all future handlers: try to keep the goblins out of the evil rain most of the time. Even being in it a little seems to be fine (i've still got them hauling wood from outside) but constant exposure seems a lot worse. Stress is recovering overall, since anybody who became really stressed is now dead.

okay this lack of exclamation points sucks.
Pages: [1] 2 3