Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can dwarfs shoot diagonally through fortifications?  (Read 2288 times)

TC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can dwarfs shoot diagonally through fortifications?
« on: May 31, 2019, 04:28:39 pm »

I'm making a tower. I want marksdwarfs inside the tower to be able to fire out, so I will make fortifications in the tower walls. Is there any benefit to making fortifications in the corners of the tower walls?

In other words, if a dwarf is standing in a tile with a wall above and a wall to the right, but a fortification to the top-right, can that dwarf shoot through that fortification?

Alternatively, if a dwarf is standing in a tile with fortifications above, to the right, and to the top-right, does the fortification at the top-right give the dwarf additional shooting options they wouldn't have if that fortification were a wall?

-TC

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Can dwarfs shoot diagonally through fortifications?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 05:46:24 am »

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure they can't shoot through the fortification above them, either, because the fortification has an implicit floor.

I'm not entirely sure they can even shoot through roofless fortifications from above. In other words, standing on a tile with empty space to the right and a constructed fortification to the below-right. You'd think they could, but IDK.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 06:01:21 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 11:26:29 am »

I think OP's "above" and "top" meant "northward tile on the same z-level" instead of "tile on a higher z-level".

Dwarves can and will shoot diagonally through fortifications in the "corners" of a tower. Conversely, "corner" walls will reduce the field of fire (though dwarves may still be able to target some of those tiles from elsewhere on the tower).

Tip: constructing walls and then carving fortifications gives you a "free" roof over those tiles compared to constructing fortifications directly. 

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 12:17:58 pm »

What about floor constructions like a grate?  Has anyone found a way to get dwarves to shoot straight below them like from a tower overhang, or a room above an entryway?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 03:50:30 pm »

Necro, but I can confirm they can shoot at least into roofless fortifications from above (in arena mode).

Also, instead of grate, you want to use downstairs, such as with Archery bolt splitter. Problem is jumping/climbing, though.

I haven't tested floating vertical bars (build vertical bars on constructed floor, remove the floor) for this application, but they do work for ascending minecarts iirc.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 02:32:27 am »

Also, instead of grate, you want to use downstairs, such as with Archery bolt splitter. Problem is jumping/climbing, though.
Getting injured by an enemy bolt could also result in falling through the downstair.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?