Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven !!SCIENCE!!: Cryogenics.  (Read 2043 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Dwarven !!SCIENCE!!: Cryogenics.
« on: June 01, 2019, 12:18:27 pm »

While perusing the wiki to solve the mystery of a drowned fish, I came across this bit:

"Casting a cage in obsidian will not harm the occupants (though the temperature might if the cage is subjected to magma for very long)."

This led me to the question: What about freezing a cage? One winter embark later, here are my results:

I used a meeting zone, a pillar and a floor to cause a minor cave-in, resulting in two trapped dwarves. One, a visiting Mason diplomat, went berserk at the outrage of being attacked. The other, a friendly Engraver, was more cooperative and remained a citizen of the fort - listed as "No Job (Caged)" in the citizen screen.

An aquifer, floodgate and surface-exposed room were used for controlled freezing. Constructing the cages in the appropriate tiles first and then freezing them had an odd result, allowing me to view the cages and see the dwarves' flashing faces despite them existing on top of/inside of an ice wall. Deconstruction of the cages was possible through the ice wall, resulting in the item teleporting to the nearest pathable adjacent tile.

A second method of dumping the cages onto the floor had a better result: solid ice walls with no indication of an item or unit inside, except for their status on my unit screen. With my test subjects incarcerated, I marked the time and began to wait.

While the Engraver died around when a dwarf might have died of thirst, the berserk visiting Mason did not. Not all !!science!! ends in drastic revelations, sadly, but it was nice to conduct an experiment. That said, there are some potential applications here:

-Creatures that can break out of cages might be safely contained within an ice wall.

-Necromancers, Vampires, Werebeasts and Undead could similarly be contained if necessary.

-Gremlins and other mischievous creatures may not be able to access an ice-encased cage.

-Had I a mechanism to run magma under the floors, it would be possible to unfreeze these poor souls on demand, even in adventure mode. I do not know if adventurers can interact with cages, however, and would appreciate any !!science!! information there.

Sadly, my dream of preserving dwarven children as popsicles until they reached maturity was thwarted. But such is the toil of dwarven !!science!!...
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven !!SCIENCE!!: Cryogenics.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 03:14:31 pm »

Consider turning the dwarven children into werebeasts. Then you can freeze the ones that survive.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 03:53:35 pm »

That... is unbelievably dwarfy. Somebody needs to do this now.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 12:33:32 pm »

Freeze an army of zombies and release them when you get attacked. (Not sure if this is possible, I only play adventure mode)
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 03:25:45 am »

Nice find, but using a restraint as a form of execution in a freezing pool or just having one over your trap entrace with some tactfully non-ground level screw pumps and a cold climate will kill most of anything you place within it instantly similarly to obsidianization rather than preserve it.

Does this vary for itemised cages versus built ones?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 11:57:31 am »

You could also freeze goblin citizens, too.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 09:00:11 pm »

How about megabeasts/FBs?
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 05:20:59 am »

Tamed megabeasts might starve, but wild ones should be fine.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 06:41:23 am »

Tamed megabeasts might starve, but wild ones should be fine.

Only sentient megabeasts feel any sort of hunger unless they are inheriently grazers (which there aren't currently) so i wouldn't worry about your dragon's or rocs. Whether dragons can actually shoot flames from inside the ice block is another thing though as they are reported to do something to that effect.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 06:01:17 am »

I am afraid to inform you that anything that in on the square when water freezes dies.  It is actually an official form of death in the game.  It is why being a non-vermin fish is not such a good idea.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 04:21:07 pm »

I am afraid to inform you that anything that in on the square when water freezes dies.  It is actually an official form of death in the game.  It is why being a non-vermin fish is not such a good idea.
Unless they're in a cage. I'm pretty sure dragons can't breathe fire while in a cage, though.

A creature with a high body temperature might result in melting ice, though. Pretty sure they won't drown either. Potential way to thaw rivers without magma?

I'm also curious what happens if the cage breaks while in ice/obsidian. Does the creature get stuck in the wall or cease to exist?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 04:28:07 pm by Bumber »