Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If nobles are good for stressed citizens, is more better than less?  (Read 1231 times)

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile

According to the wiki, nobles are good for stressed citizens to feel better, since they get happy thoughts for venting to them. Is this all nobles, or just certain ones? Does that mean you should consider minimizing the number of individuals that fill multiple roles so you can increase the number of available shoulders to cry on?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If nobles are good for stressed citizens, is more better than less?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 04:04:39 pm »

Presumably only the ones they can actually complain to, which should be the one who's got the labor management task (or whatever it's called), i.e. Expedition Leader -> Mayor. The working "nobles", such as book keeper, are useful for their labors, while the rest are just mandate spewers.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 10:17:37 am »

Not totally true - the hammerer also helps with stressed citizens, by giving them a "dwarven massage".

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 11:05:19 am »

Well, I consider the Hammerer to actually be working, although I make sure not to activate the injustice system as I dislike the random murdering if valuable dorfs when nobles issue mandate for impossible things (i.e. things impossible for the fortress, like metal items when there's no metal available: demands can be for actual impossible items [barring a mood], such as granite beds, but dorfs aren't murdered for failure to provide these).

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 11:32:52 pm »

That's what Featherwood Crossbows are for.  ;)

Heading back towards the topic, I reckon the number of nobles is a (stackable) intensifier of the stress delta of the supervisor.  In other words more nobles means more stress to some (like PL) whereas they mean more fun -that's the unsarcastic use just to be clear - to others, like myself.  Sometimes dwarfen inefficiency and stupidity can be hilarious.  :D

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 02:18:48 am »

Nobles rarely have anybody to speak to themselves with the very stressful job of listening to other dwarf's problems and partial player incompetence if their requirements and demands/mandates are not met for the flush of good moods to keep them afloat.