Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Turning Lots of Magma into Obsidian  (Read 2176 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Turning Lots of Magma into Obsidian
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2019, 06:07:42 pm »

Nope. 1 2z water box can generate 100z of obsidian, provided there's 100z of magma.

(Note: Haven't, also, tested (or don't remember) if it works if you leave out the floor between the box's two z-levels of water.)

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2019, 06:36:20 pm »

Thanks for info PatrikLundell.

I do not plan to pump lava to surface. Just fetch it with mining carts. Those carry 2/7 of lava, so there is no issue of lava evaporating on 1x1 tile. I have no idea how much water a mining cart contains. Buckets are filled with 7/7 water. Aren't buckets smaller containers from mining cart? If mining cart contains 2/7 water too, then it shouldn't be an issue. I never filled mining cart with water before tbh. The plan is, when I get time this summer, to fill with magma couple dozens of mining carts and same amount with water. Then make cast wall with empty hole every second tile guarded by one autostop on top. This way I fill many holes in same time more or less. I do not plan for mud. Even less for turning obsidian floor into soil. That's an annoying floor bug. I intend to keep grass on first level with obsidian walls around and maybe I cast and dig some obsidian stairs there too, but next levels could be entirely cast from obsidian. Hole by hole obsidianizing entire 55x55 level could be annoying indeed. Also bridges are only in size 10x10 at max. Dropping lava from carts on too large area will evaporate too much magma.

Building cast walls from logs could speed it up I think. Just I do not want to build and construct 100+ glass pumps... Breaking hole larger then 1x1 also will break into caverns, which I want to avoid in first decade at least.

I am also concerned about invasions digging holes under to get into my fortress. Will they dig into soil only? Or also through rock? Should I obsidianize 2 z-levels under ground too? As I understand, if I poke hole into underground, while having a built wall 1 z-level above, then it should remain under-ground, as there are coming no sun rays. Obsidianizing shouldn't change it either. For walls that is. For stairs, I rather have them all inside count as "above ground" due cave adaptation.

Forest on surface also grows and hits on fps. Often I see animals entering map on tree levels and staying there all month in same place before leaving. I guess underground animals have to leave on other side, then the one they arrived? That could be explanation for this fps hit. Pathing of animals stuck on trees. Couldn't Toady program for wild animals some "involuntary" climb down order every couple days?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2019, 07:20:41 pm »

You understand wrong on the sun-rays bit (at least in 43.03). It will be inside/light/above_ground - unless you cast a natural floor(ice/obsidian) above beforehand.

As for evaporating by expansion problem, provided one can build on floors, one could use raised 1 wide wooden bridges with magma-unsafe mechanisms to provide ever-expanding catchment area. If one uses the old deconstruction-toggle trick to make them passable, one doesn't even need multiple levers to progressively lower them.

You can get around the digging becoming layer material problem by placing supports/upstairs on the level below where you want your obsidian floor. Once you've done casting and digging the internal area, just cavein the floors from above (though mind that if you cast the walls first they'd normally provide support to the floor above)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2019, 04:49:19 am »

Buckets contain 1/7 water, not 7/7. Minecarts contain 2/7 of any fluid (i.e. water or magma).

While a single bridge can cover only 10*10 tiles, you can cover an area with bridges.

Invaders do not dig in DF currently. There are plans to eventually let them do that, and there are mods that allow them to do that. However, if you want to know how the mods work you should ask in the relevant threads in the mod forum.

A tile becomes "surface" when exposed to the sky. Channeling out ground under the branches of a tree will result in tiles that are still "underground". Putting up a roof before channeling also results in "underground". I'm not sure how bridges work in that respect, though, as they have some odd properties.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2019, 07:20:51 am »

Putting up a roof before channeling also results in "underground".
If you mean constructed roof, odd...did it change?

*Tests in 44.12*

||

||

||

Did you perhaps meant an obsidian roof?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 08:14:51 am »

Just tested a roof as well, and yes, you're correct: I was wrong.
Pages: 1 [2]