Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Something confusing with "savage" animal people...  (Read 5467 times)

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
Something confusing with "savage" animal people...
« on: June 02, 2019, 03:28:29 pm »

"Savage" animal people - bands in the wild where no towns are, possibly generated - have some odd things about them. The one time I encountered them, they: a, had no names of any kind (when in speak interface, they used generic creature/caste name); b, had the odd feature of having no possessions of any sort and not showing a name in "Exchange, give, take, etc. personal items" interface; and c, sometimes cause crashes when asked for their profession. I asked the profession of one and got "I am a peasant." in response, but when I tried asking a different one DF immediately crashed. I've seen three of these bands so far, in a frozen northern area (said area seems to near-always be "freezing" temperature according to temperature keybind, and I haven't seen liquid water). Another thing I find odd - I once saw a peregrine falcon woman/man (forget which) stating "I like to dress well." but he/she had no clothing. The first band I encountered was near three dingos, so I killed a dingo and made some bone crafts from it and gave them some of those crafts, just to be nice. Those crafts were the only possessions they had, but those crafts don't exist because of the unexpected crash, as I hadn't saved DF just before encountering them. My adventurer is still extant though. As for savage biome - well, I don't think you find highwood trees (3x3 or otherwise) in abundance anywhere else.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Something confusing with "savage" animal people...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 04:48:04 pm »

Should have mentioned this earlier - "savage" animal people will also not attempt to tell you their name, instead always replying "Greetings." if you're initiating a greeting. They also say "Greetings." when initiating a greeting with you rather than you initiating a greeting with them.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 10:08:33 am »

Savage animal people are basically wandering animals. I believe they don't have any names, clothing or items because they are not part of any entity and names, possession types and materials depend on entity tags.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 01:10:09 pm »

Well that explains the profession crash. Very interesting to meet "wandering animals" that bother talking to you. Also, they may or may not respond oddly to your summarizing conflicts with animals. For example: I met a crab by the shore of a frozen ocean (yes, completely frozen). I bashed the crab in its equivalent of a body with my +bronze flail+, instantly killing it. Some time later, I  met a band of crab people on the ice of this frozen ocean. A crab woman greeted me and, after the usual pleasantries, I summarized the conflict in which I killed that random crab. The crab woman's response: "I died. It was inevitable." I was quite surprised - after all, the crab woman was by no means dead.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 06:00:42 am »

I had one encounter with animal people. They hanged out in woods on my way to cave entrance to underground.

At first I walked with my companions. They charged them as any other group of alike animals (but not animal people!) to kill them. I charged them too. They had same symbol as the animals too, I think. However the animal woman I was chasing started to screaming "Help me!". A little like a wounded Night Creature screaming "Help me!", when my peasant dwarf gets close and personal with steel ax and his legendary ax skills. However animal woman stopped running away, not seeing my companions. So I stopped too. I talked with her and she was talkative, until my companions arrived and she took off in panic again.

On returning way I decided to spring forward, getting slowly away from companions. I run into this group of animal people again. When I saw them I shouted my introduction and entered conversation with them. Strangely enough my companions didn't attack these animal people again. Maybe, because my shouting conversation? Anyhow they had nothing on them. No cloths, no tools, no nothing, so I decided to give them the simple stone axes I had with me for trading. Then I wished them farewell and took off with my 6 companions following closely behind.

I felt kind of pity, they just camped around without any wagons, any cloths (maybe they don't need, but how about armor), any tools. I wondered, if in future versions, maybe such gift of stone axes could spark a animal people tree-village (alike elvish one) and maybe even an animal civilization. :)

For now animal people are like wild animals in woods. Just another animal group, randomly spawned at front of you, to slow you down walking and if you walking same path repetitiously... to overpopulate this path to make it slow in fps and sometimes to crash your game to desktop. However killing entire group of animals, without crouching and stalking and with noisy 6 companions in metal armor... is impossible. DF needs "DE-SPAWN THE DARN ANIMALS!!!"-procedure, which will be implemented in sectors of land, you left behind you.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 06:02:34 am by Sarmatian123 »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 06:58:43 am »

They'll probably eventually, in the next few arcs, form actual semi-civilized tribes that won't behave weirdly.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 08:50:24 pm »

I like encountering them! It's kinda funny that they just stand about, talking about generic topics as if they've never seen or heard anything exciting. I agree that they should get more fleshed out, they have a lot of potential for !Fun!

ulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 04:46:33 am »

I've noticed that they will typically talk about attacking my adventurer to each other, but not actually do so... I wonder if they are somewhat bugged in their behavior?

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 03:09:39 pm »

That would be the result of getting into an encounter-level (or higher, if you attack them) conflict with them. If you talk to one and see the usual options for a conflict, that's probably why. Note that asking them to stop fighting will generally be met with a refusal, since, like animals, they don't seem to be willing to stop a fight - even if the conflict level is only Encounter.