Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: The Iron Kingdom (SG/RPG)  (Read 4543 times)

Mooply

• Bay Watcher
  • Surviving the cyberpocalypse of 2004, the future.
    • View Profile
The Iron Kingdom (SG/RPG)
« on: June 02, 2019, 03:40:30 pm »

Spoiler: World Map (click to show/hide)

It is the Age of Myth of the lands of Ruspstrasp, when mythical beasts still held powerful sway over the world, and mighty heroes rised to vanquish them. You are a wayward adventurer that has come to the halls of Oakenhammer seeking adventure, gold, and excitement. But, before we begin, you must answer some questions:

1. What is your name?

NAME:

2. What is your gender?

MALE
FEMALE

3. What is your race? (Determines racial benefits)

HUMAN
ELF
DWARF
GNOME
GOBLIN
KOBOLD
OTHER (Can be anything)

4. Choose one of the three options below to determine your four main attributes, filling in the blanks with "Strong" (ST), "Dextrous" (DX), "Sharp" (IQ), or "Tough" (HT):

"I am super _____, but otherwise average." (One 15, three 10s)
"I am very _____ and very _____, but otherwise average." (Two 13s, two 10s)
"I am reasonably _____ and _____, and almost as _____ and _____." (Two 12s, two 11s)

5. What is your profession? (Determines advantages, skills, spells, etc.)

BARBARIAN
WARRIOR
ARCHER
BARD
CLERIC
DRUID
NECROMANCER
HOLY WARRIOR
MARTIAL ARTIST
WRESTLER
SWASHBUCKLER
THIEF
WIZARD
ARTIFICER
DEMONOLOGIST
NECROMANCER
INNKEEPER
TOURIST
POTATO FARMER
OTHER (Can be anything)

6. What is your background? (Determines disadvantages, starting allies/enemies, and some side skills)

OTHER (Make something up. This is a DF-inspired world, though a bit more high magic than most DF worlds tend to be.)

7. What is your Goal?

OTHER (Make something up.)

Spoiler: What the heck is this? (click to show/hide)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Iron Kingdom (SG/RPG)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 06:49:39 pm »

There are 7 blanks, but only 5 stats

Cardinal woman Bard
Name: Stella Strangesong

Maybe other posters will have ideas on other stuff or changes to this. I'm curious how a character made by multiple people will pan out

Mooply

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 07:28:21 pm »

Alrighty, you are a cardinal woman named Stella Strangesong. Being a cardinal woman gives you some benefits such as temperature protection from the feathers, a pecking attack from the beak, and the ability to climb anything with no roll, due to the legendary climbing ability of the species.

This is your lil' dumpling:

All that is needed now is a decision on attributes, a short background where Stella came from, what Stella's bardic instrument/tool is, and a simple goal to drive Stella forward for now.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 07:51:08 pm »

"I am reasonably sharp and dextrous, and almost as strong and tough." (Two 12s, two 11s)

Stella lived in the trees for most of her life sending petitions to join a city to learn what living in a city was like. Eventually one of her petitions was accepted by Oakenhammer. She spent time performing there when some merchants told of distant lands, on different islands.

Ever since she learned of this, her goal became clear. She had to explore the world.

Her instrument is a harmonica

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 08:36:38 pm »

"I am reasonably sharp and dextrous, and almost as strong and tough." (Two 12s, two 11s)

Stella lived in the trees for most of her life sending petitions to join a city to learn what living in a city was like. Eventually one of her petitions was accepted by Oakenhammer. She spent time performing there when some merchants told of distant lands, on different islands.

Ever since she learned of this, her goal became clear. She had to explore the world.

Her instrument is a harmonica
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Mooply

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 12:56:20 am »

You are Stella Strangesong, the cardinal woman bard. For all your life, you have been stricken by wanderlust, vying for adventure and to see the world. While the other cardinal men were supportive of you, they never quite understood why you would want to leave the tribe and join one of the many cities dotting the area. However, with much practice and training, the fortress city of Oakenhammer eventually accepted your request after reviewing your natural bardic talent for the arts and music. There, you learned the secrets of true bardic inspiration and discovered how to twist the musical notes of your harmonica into shaping reality itself, something that very few bards achieve, if ever. There were times, as well, that you even took up arms to help defend Oakenhammer against goblin raids.

However, this was never enough for you, as you would often hear whispers of distant lands with alien customs. Places where the grass itself held the sweetness of the sun in it, places where only the gods have trekked. Spurred by this newfound discovery, you vowed to reach the very ends of the earth, where glaciers rose like mountains in the sky, and where giant creatures roam, wild and free. The path forward would be difficult and uncertain. You find yourself reaching down to your coin purse, and find it depressingly light, nothing more than a bit of dust and lint lining the leather interior of the bag.

You find yourself in a familiar place, the Broken Oar Tavern of Oakenhammer. Only a few travelers, who had likely just woken up, groggily spoon down the plump helmet swill in the tavern. There looked to be one human woman with dark brown hair, an elf with a smirk on his face, and a moose man who clumsily drank from a mug. The moose man was making quite a bit of a mess, constantly making slurping noises as he drank. Behind the counter sits a dwarf with one glassy looking eye and a perpetual scowl on his face. Old Kosoth was never one for too much talk, but he allowed you to perform on the stage as long as it kept people drinking. Kosoth clutched the rag firmly, wiping the table with great effort. You watch as he constantly bites his tongue to prevent saying something to the moose man nearby.

Spoiler: Basic Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 06:03:47 am »

Ask everyone in the bar if they are interested in exploring with her

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 08:06:23 am »

Ask everyone in the bar if they are interested in exploring with her
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Mooply

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 09:53:26 am »

Running diplomacy contest: 12 vs 10
Stella Rolls Diplomacy: [4,2,3] = 9. Margin of Success: 3
Moose Man Rolls Will: [4,6,2] = 12. Margin of Failure: 2
Stella wins with a Margin of Victory of 5.

In an impressive display, you call out to the tavern to proudly join you in your adventures, where the sun will always be at your back and how stories shall be told of your great struggles! The elf and the human, while impressed with your bravado, silently decline stating that they have business within the city, and can't leave.
"If you're looking for proper adventure, lass, there's rumors of the dead returning from their graves in an old crypt up North. They say that a necromancer has taken root, and is terrorizing the local population."

The moose man is so inspired by your fiery conviction that he kneels down and shouts,
"I will follow you only if you lead me to glory and death! I am Ser Hoofsbane, my lady, and I am at your disposal!"

Old Kosoth gives a bit of a grimace at the noise and begins wiping up Hoofsbane's mess while he is distracted. He gives you a critical eye and says,
"Finally getting out of here, huh? Well... don't tell anyone I told you this, but I hear that there's some humans from the local caravan that are looking to hire on a few guards. They're heading back Northwest to the coast of the Lonely Island. It ain't the most exciting work, but should get you out and about, eh?"

Old Kosoth also slides a small parchment map towards you and says,
"Any good traveler worth his salt needs a map. Keep an eye on the horizon and don't go out into the night alone. There's monsters in the dark."

Spoiler: Old Map (click to show/hide)

The map is worn around the edges, but it seems to detail most of the main roads and settlements in the area. You pinpoint your location at Oakenhammer and determine the closest towns nearby. To the West is the fortress of Hammercage, to the South is the fortress of Giltanvil, to the West is the fortress of Flagdestined, to the North appears to be the strange tomb that was mentioned by the Elf. The red appears to be dwarven settlements, the blue appears to be human, yellow seems to be elven, and the green appears to be goblins.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 10:57:48 am »

Head North to the tomb with Ser Hoofsbane

Mooply

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 01:15:52 am »

The trek Northwards is rather uneventful as you and Ser Hoofsbane exit out of the fortress city of Oakenhammer. You pass through the hot, heavy marshlands that have been your home these past few seasons. A few rolling hills are all that break up the monotony of the occasional pitfall into tepid water. You take a better look at the companion by your side. The moose man has rough brown fur that covers most of his body, and his impressive antlers seem to be weathered but well cared for. He has dark brown eyes. He is carrying a simple axe by his side, what looks to be an iron dwarven wood chopping axe. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. He is wearing little more than a vibrant blue outfit made from pigtail cloth. As you and your new companion go along, he begins telling you his story. Ser Hoofsbane tells you that he is, in fact, not a true knight, only a warrior aspiring to become a knight. He tells a short tale of woe of how no one would take him seriously or bring him along on any adventures, due to his rather comical appearance. He hopes to gain enough recognition to garner the attention of one of the local lords, and he agrees that seeking out this tomb is a great way to either die horribly, or get one's name written into the legends.

As you enter a small valley in the marshlands, you begin to feel uneasy...

Just across an outcropping of boulders, Ser Hoofsbane points out to you three goblins in the distance. They seem to be carrying cheap makeshift copper armor and weapons and speak in a guttural, evil tongue. They appear to be rather bored, sitting just beside a roughly built barricade. They often snap at each other, throwing clumps of dirt, and one of them appears to stab at the ground every now and then, grumbling.

Ser Hoofsbane whispers to you,
"Goblins! We should cut them down where they stand. Their ilk are temperamental at the best of times... be careful."

Spoiler: Old Map (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 02:48:12 am by Mooply »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 06:01:32 am »

Throw something at one of the goblins, to figure out if they are living or undead

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 07:21:36 am »

Gloriously we raise Our sword and shield  and Walk in a Defensive Style towards the Goblins. The mooseman IS supposed to stay within Close reach.

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 07:26:16 am »

PTW

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2019, 08:04:33 am »

Gloriously we raise Our sword and shield  and Walk in a Defensive Style towards the Goblins. The mooseman IS supposed to stay within Close reach.
+1
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6