Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: The Iron Kingdom (SG/RPG)  (Read 4540 times)

Mooply

• Bay Watcher
  • Surviving the cyberpocalypse of 2004, the future.
    • View Profile
Re: The Iron Kingdom (SG/RPG)
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 10:41:44 am »

You toss a stone behind the boulder at the group of goblins. The stone plonks loudly against one of the boulders, which makes the lead goblin look around a bit in confusion. He pulls out a razar sharp looking copper scourge and tightens it in his hand. The other two goblins shoot their heads up quickly and scramble to their feet and hold their knives in both hands. They glance at their leader, stand at attention, and sniff the air. The lead goblin shouts,
"Huh? Who's there? I can smell you! Show yourself! Who dares throw rocks at the great Snuzo the Untrepid?"

After determining that the goblins are not, in fact, undead, you and Ser Hoofsbane move forward. You unsheathe your shortsword and buckler dramatically. The sword gleams in the light and you give a twist of the head feathers. Would anyone be looking at you, they would swoon in awe of your obvious heroic visage. You keep yourself in a defensive position with shield in front, eyeing the goblins carefully for any twitchy movement. Ser Hoofsbane stands by your side, his expression scrunched and critical as he twists his hands on the grip of his axe. He remains his composure, though it seems the slightest provocation may set him off. The goblin leader notices your approach and points at you,

"Hey, there you are! You stand in the learned presenence of Snuzo the Untrepid! You are tressecting in my great master's lands and may go no further! No one passes through these implausible gates without my say so!"

Spoiler: Old Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Basic Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 03:22:58 pm »

"Hello Snuzo. I threw the rock to figure out if you were undead or not. I've heard tell there is a necromancer in these parts. As you are still living, you, your subordinates, and us are all targets for the undead. We came here to deal with the Necromancer who lives here."

Mooply

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 04:45:21 pm »

You approache Snuzo and give a polite bow, before stating in your singsong voice,
"Hello Snuzo. I threw the rock to figure out if you were undead or not. I've heard tell there is a necromancer in these parts. As you are still living, you, your subordinates, and us are all targets for the undead. We came here to deal with the Necromancer who lives here."

Running diplomacy contest: 12 vs 12
Stella Rolls Diplomacy: [4,5,6] = 15. Margin of Failure: 3
Snuzo Rolls Will: [5,2,1] = 8. Margin of Success: 4
Snuzo wins with a Margin of Victory of 7.

Snuzo, however, appears unconvinced by your argument and crosses his arms in front of himself,
"In danger? Pah, the great and unconcertable Snuzo works for master Ura! You make deal with the necromancer? You bring me tribute. Otherwise I will add you to the undead pits!"

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 05:56:26 pm »

Cast Persuasion
Whether or not this succeeds, say

"What kind of tribute? Money? Specific items? Corpses from animals not from these lands? Tribute can mean a variety of different things. Oakenhammer wants Yes to stop terrorizing the town north of them, would it be possible for a truce? What if, instead of attacking towns, Yea can teach people skills. Money would still be gained from the Necromancy School, and people would stop trying to attack her."

Mooply

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2019, 09:39:43 pm »

As Snuzo speaks, you pull out your trusty harmonica and play a small, short tune on it, fabricating the essence of music to bring Snuzo around to your viewpoint.

Running persuasion contest: 13 vs 12
Stella Rolls Persuasion: [3,5,5] = 13. Margin of Success: 0
Snuzo Rolls Will: [6,3,6] = 15. Margin of Failure: 3
Stella wins with a Margin of Victory of 3.

The song is short, but has a sweet tune to it that makes Snuzo begin to smile across his pocked little face. He seems to forget about his recent outburst. His compatriots behind him seem entranced by the music as well, one of them tapping his foot. The song leaves you slightly more tired than before (-1 FP). You lower the harmonica from your beak and say with a bit of a clever smirk on your face,
"What kind of tribute? Money? Specific items? Corpses from animals not from these lands? Tribute can mean a variety of different things. Oakenhammer wants Yes to stop terrorizing the town north of them, would it be possible for a truce? What if, instead of attacking towns, Yea can teach people skills. Money would still be gained from the Necromancy School, and people would stop trying to attack her."

Snuzo taps his little fingers against his chin and spouts out,
"Yes, yes. You will make me richer than any nobble? I agree to this, you are smart, wise, and know what I want! Go ahead, make me rich already, you're wasting my time, stop wasting my time!"

The goblin leader barks out a few guttural orders to his compatriots and then hurry over to the gate, swinging it open for Ser Hoofsbane and yourself to walk through. As you pass through the gates and leave the goblins behind, the first thing you notice about the necromancer's land is the lack of noise... it is almost disturbingly quiet. The faint hum of crickets and the distant chirping of birds is nowhere to be heard in such a place. Ser Hoofsbane walks along your side, looking a bit indignant and annoyed he didn't get to test his axe.

The further you trek into the land, the more the air dries out, and the hotter it feels. The common sight of patches of water pools gives way to rolling plains filled with long grasses and the occasional tree of the savanna. Cresting a small hill, you see a large dark grey tower extend towards the sky, dwarfing everything else in the area. Sere Hoofsbane points at it and says,
"There it is. The necromancer Ura's tower the goblin was talking about. Lady Strangesong, I hope you do not plan to show sympathy to her like you did with those goblins. Goblins are evil, tainted by the will of demons. Even though they did not harm us, they will surely bring misery on someone else. I have sworn to serve you, and follow your call, but I will speak my mind if I feel like you're making a mistake."

The rancid stench of death grows stronger and stronger as you and Ser Hoofsbane approach the tower. Leaves crunch under your feet from the dying trees in the area, and the grass is sparse here, unable to sustain life in the presence of such powerful necromantic energy. A simple stone gate is all that seperates you and Ser Hoofsbane from the entrance to the tower. Behind the wall, there sits a dried up well with a long rope tied around the rotting wood. In front of the heavy acacia wooden doors are two mummies, their pale skin and desiccated forms loosely hang together while they twitch ever so often. Their clothing has been reduced to tatters, with no telling how old these corpses really are. A mace and a spear are held in a tight grip by the two undead sentinels. The tower appears to be about 10 stories high, with crenelations marking every 2 stories. There are a set of windows on the fourth floor that look to be covered with simple wooden covers. The top of the tower appears to have something on top of it, but it is difficult to see from the ground. Ser Hoofsbane states in a hushed whisper,
"Undead. They don't seem to be attacking, but they're watching us, make no mistake."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2019, 09:46:07 pm »

"Worry not, we only wish to speak with your master about a way for her to make money without making enemies"

Mooply

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2019, 10:03:46 pm »

Before you and Ser Hoofsbane departed, you gave a parting note to Snuzo the goblin,
"Worry not, we only wish to speak with your master about a way for her to make money without making enemies"

To which Snuzo replied,
"Eh? You're still here? I don't see the money in your hand, which means nothing more for me to say, go away until you come back with something interesting!"

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2019, 06:56:17 am »

Go to the tower
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 11:58:18 am by Naturegirl1999 »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2019, 07:04:43 am »

Go slice them all into slices

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2019, 07:42:54 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2019, 07:45:17 am »

Who, the town? The idea is to get to the Necromancer without getting attacked, killing Uda's subordinates will not help with this

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2019, 11:58:36 am »

Changed vote

Mooply

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2019, 12:47:32 am »

(Initiative order, due to speed stat: Stella, Ser Hoofsbane, Spear Zombie, Mace Zombie.)

As you and Ser Hoofsbane approach the tower, weapons at the ready, the two undead sentinels suddenly shift their gaze towards you and raise their weapons aggressively. Their forms, while empowered with inhuman strength, are slow and shambling. They only take a few steps towards you before the two of you fall upon them to slice them into slices.

You grip your shortsword and swing it wide, aiming to cut the zombie with the mace down the middle in a safe, but well-aimed shot.

Rolled against 14. Result: [2,4,1] = 7. Margin of Success: 7.

The zombie, seeing the attack coming, attempts to parry the blow with its mace by holding it up high.

Rolled against 9. Result: [2,3,6] = 11. Margin of Failure: 2.

You slash the zombie in the upper body with your iron shortsword, tearing apart the muscle through the rope reed fiber shirt, dealing 4 damage!

Ser Hoofsbane swings his axe towards the zombie with the spear, roaring as he does so.

Rolled against 12. Result: [1,2,3] = 6. Margin of Success: 6.

The zombie retaliates by swinging its spear towards the axe to deflect it away.

Rolled against 9. Result: [1,1,3] = 5. Margin of Success: 4.

The zombie knocks the axe out of the way and immediately counterattacks by stabbing at Ser Hoofsbane!

Rolled against 12. Result: [6,1,4] = 11. Margin of Success: 1.

Ser Hoofsbane quickly brings the axe back around to parry the shot!

Rolled against 9. Result: [6,1,6] = 13. Margin of Failure: 4.

The zombie stabs Ser Hoofsbane in the lower body with the iron spear, tearing apart the fat and bruising the muscle through the pigtail shirt, dealing 4 damage!

The other zombie mindlessly swings its mace at you, groaning as it does so!

Rolled against 12. Result: [6,4,4] = 14. Margin of Failure: 2.

The mace slams against the dirt, bits of old leaves scattering about as the zombie slowly yanks out the heavy object from the ground, leaving itself fairly vulnerable to attack.

Mooply

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2019, 01:12:39 am »

As a small aside, do you lot prefer DF style icons such as this:

(From the Phoebus set, won't be used, just a proof of concept.)

Or do you prefer the portrait style hex icons? (Hex icons would be updated with original artwork.)

I will eventually be replacing the non-battlemap artwork with my own art to allow for some additional interactive scenes and provide a more modular base for the game. Of course, most of that is still in the works and likely won't be ready until after the first arc of the game.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2019, 01:15:24 am »

Attempt to cast Loualty on the zombie while it can’t attack

Attempt to cast Stop Bleeding on Ser Hoofsbane
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6