Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: The Iron Kingdom (SG/RPG)  (Read 4541 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Iron Kingdom (SG/RPG)
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2019, 04:55:37 am »

Stab the zombie in the back before it can do anything, then stop Ser Hoofsbane's bleeding.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2019, 05:04:20 am »

Stab the zombie in the back before it can do anything, then stop Ser Hoofsbane's bleeding.
+1

Mooply

• Bay Watcher
  • Surviving the cyberpocalypse of 2004, the future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2019, 08:17:14 am »

While the zombie is leaned over, distracted, and can't parry with its mace, you pull your shortsword back and attempt to stab it through the back. (-3 for vitals.)

Rolled against 11. Result: [3,4,1] = 8. Margin of Success: 3.

The zombie slowly attempts to roll out of the way of the blow.

Rolled against 7. Result: [5,1,2] = 8. Margin of Failure: 1.

You stab the zombie in the upper body with the iron shortsword, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the heart through the rope reed fiber shirt, dealing 6 damage!
The zombie loses hold of the iron mace.

The blade sinks into the zombie's chest, causing long congealed blood to stick on the sword. Even though you impaled it through the heart, which should be a fatal blow, the now useless organs do little to stop the zombie from moving. You give the shortsword a quick twist while it is impaled in the zombie and pull it out.

Rolled against 10 (knockdown check). Result: [2,4,6] = 12. Margin of Failure: 2.

With the last twist of the sword, however, the zombie has sustained too much damage and it crumples on the ground. It wriggles and moves as it continues to try and attack you, but is relatively harmless in the state it is in now, as long as you keep your distance from its mouth.

Ser Hoofsbane shouts a bit as he's stabbed through, but hefts up his axe in both hands and carries on through the pain, swinging the axe in a mighty arc! (-4 due to 4 damage taken.)

Rolled against 8. Result: [1,4,2] = 7. Margin of Success: 1.

The zombie pulls its spear back and attempts to parry the blow.

Rolled against 9. Result: [3,6,3] = 12.

Ser Hoofsbane hacks the zombie in the upper body with the iron battleaxe, tearing the muscle through the rope reed fiber shirt, dealing 9 damage!

Rolled against 10 (knockdown check). Result: [1,1,4] = 6. Margin of Success: 4.

The zombie gets a massive gash ripped open on its chest, but it manages to stay standing even after such a powerful blow. It attempts to jab Ser Hoofsbane again with its spear, groaning as it does so.

Rolled against 12. Result: [2,5,6] = 13. Margin of Failure: 1.

The zombie misses Ser Hoofsbane!

As this occurs, you pull up your harmonica and begin to play a sweet, beautiful tune that brings a tear to anyone that listens to it (-1 FP).

Rolled against 13. Result: [5,1,6] = 12. Margin of Success: 1.

The emotional magic of the music reaches Ser Hoofsbane, and his wound begins to close up on its own, healing 1 damage and stopping the wound from bleeding.

Ser Hoofsbane hefts the axe again and brings it across the zombie's midsection.

Rolled against 12. Result: [4,2,6] = 12. Margin of Success: 0.

The zombie, in turn, attempts to parry the blow with its spear.

Rolled against 9. Result: [5,6,1] = 12. Margin of Failure: 3.

Ser Hoofsbane hacks the zombie in the lower body with the iron battleaxe and the severed part sails off in an arc, dealing 15 damage!
The zombie loses hold of the iron spear.
The zombie has been struck down.

With a quick flick of the shortsword, the remaining zombie's head is cut off with a coup de grace.

The zombie has been struck down.

Ser Hoofsbane and you stand there, panting between each other as you stand over the remains of your foes, the entrance to the tower now unguarded.

Spoiler: Old Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Basic Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2019, 08:30:42 am »

Head inside and try to find Ura

Mooply

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2019, 12:56:27 am »

You and Ser Hoofsbane enter the tower through the wooden door. Inside, the tower appears to be lit by musky, magical purple flames that makes the shadows dance along the grey stone brick walls. There is an obvious staircase that leads upwards to the North and a staircase that leads downwards to the West. Underneath a small overhang, there are quite a few tables that have parchments and books, a good pile of coins, embalming tools, and a wrapped corpse. Numerous skeletal remains dot the flooring of the structure. The remains twitch ever so slightly. A skeletal figure stands near one of the desks, pouring over the wrapped body with intense concentration. The skeleton is holding a black tome in one hand and a desiccated heart in the other. It murmurs,
"...not a matter of logic, merely perspective... hmph... what if... no no it wouldn't be compatible."

To your right, sitting dejectedly in a cell, is what appears to be an elf in a formal green robe. She stares at you intensely, but does not say a word.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 12:58:32 am by Mooply »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2019, 06:19:17 am »

Sneak to the necromancer and Stab him

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2019, 07:05:19 am »

Sneak to the necromancer and Stab him
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2019, 12:52:33 pm »

Now what happened to learning Necromancy, teaching the world, and generally being chill?
Also those skeletal remains are ready to reanimate at a moment's notice. Do you want to get jumped by skeletons?

I say we clear our throat, and introduce ourselves! Make a comment along the lines of "You said you need a new perspective on this problem you're working on? I'm not too versed in necromancy, but I know a spot of magic... care if I lend a wing?"
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2019, 02:59:57 pm »

Now what happened to learning Necromancy, teaching the world, and generally being chill?
Also those skeletal remains are ready to reanimate at a moment's notice. Do you want to get jumped by skeletons?

I say we clear our throat, and introduce ourselves! Make a comment along the lines of "You said you need a new perspective on this problem you're working on? I'm not too versed in necromancy, but I know a spot of magic... care if I lend a wing?"
+1

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2019, 09:19:49 pm »

Gloriously we raise Our sword and shield  and Walk in a Defensive Style towards the Goblins. The mooseman IS supposed to stay within Close reach.
+1
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Mooply

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2019, 12:28:45 am »

Rolled against 12 xenophilia. Result: [2,4,1] = 7. Margin of Success: 5.

You have a nagging feeling in the back of your head that stabbing the skeleton may not be a good idea, and that it would go against your natural predisposition of accepting the strange, unknown, or alien. However, Ser Hoofsbane whispers to you,
"Quickly, we won't get another chance like this, take him out before he's able to perform his dark magic!"

You shake your head and go against your gut feelings, making you feel conflicted and distraught (further attempts to go against xenophilia are at a cumulative -1 until willingly failing a xenophilia event). You stealthily attempt to sneak towards the skeleton, holding your iron shortsword close to your body, ready to stab the skeletal mage through the back.

Rolled against 12 stealth. Result: [5,1,1] = 7. Margin of Success: 5.

You make your way over the stone flooring, making nary but the tiniest of noises with your soft-soled shoes. You quickly thrust forward, stabbing the skeletal figure through the back and out the front with one fluid motion, causing 1 measly point of damage. The skeletal figure suddenly stops what he's doing and looks down at the blade protruding through his robes and leather chest armor, poking a bit with one of his hands. The skeleton states,
"Hmm... well... is this an attempt to kill me? No no, this has to be a joke, right? Another one of those... oh... how you say it? Practical jokes? Hmm... no no... I don't have friends, so that's impossible."
"No, this is not a joke. This is your end!"
"My end? Well I have to say, you did dislodge some old accumulation of dirt in one of my vertebrae, so please, stab again, maybe you'll fix a bit of my scoliosis as well."
"Now you're just making fun of me."
"Have you ever thought of taking up chiropracty? Honestly it'd be a better occupation than what you're attempting now."
"Okay, you've made your point. Look, I'm sorry. I think we got off on the wrong foot here."

You pull out the shortsword from the skeleton and sheathe it, clearing your throat, and saying,
"You said you need a new perspective on this problem you're working on? I'm not too versed in necromancy, but I know a spot of magic... care if I lend a wing?"

The skeletal mage taps its bony chin for a moment and shrugs,
"Fine, I'll let you live, but only because I do need some help with a problem I'm having, and because you apologized. Perhaps you'll be a better assistant than you are an adventurer. If not, I'll crush you like an insect and use your paste as glue. Ah, by the way, how did you even get in?"
"Ser Hoofsbane and I had to kill the zombies outside, since they attacked us on sight."
"Mmm, simplistic automatons. No sense of higher understanding of who anyone but their master is. Completely incapable of even mid-level processing. Part of my experiment here, actually. I'll have to repair them later. Of course, you'll have to compensate me for their loss... Ah, where are my manners, I am called Ura."
"You can call me Stella Strangesong."

The skeletal mage shrugs a bit, makes a small gesture over towards the elf in the cage, and shouts at Ser Hoofsbane as he approaches the cage,
"Hey you, keep away from that elf! She's my hostage and bargaining chip."

You gesture to Ser Hoofsbane to stand down, and he lowers his axe begrudgingly, increasingly annoyed at your attempts to deal with the necromancer. You clear your throat and state,
"Anyways, this problem of yours?"
"Ah, yes. I've been attempting to develop higher levels of intelligence in raised corpses. As of right now, they only do what you say, exactly as you say it, and will attack any living creature if left unattended. As you can imagine, it's quite useful for developing a horde, not so useful in developing an autonomous workforce. I've been trying to implant various living hearts that I've bound a spirit to, but every subject has been uncontrollable, insane, and berserk. What do you think?"

Ser Hoofsbane grumbles a bit and keeps his axe ready, whispering at the elf,
"Don't worry, we'll get you out of here, somehow."
"I'm not so sure this is a rescue anymore."
"I'm not sure what the plan is, but my lady surely won't... consort with this necromancer. It must be a trick to lower its guard."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2019, 04:04:48 am »

"Have you tried to bind a spirit to the body your going to raise?"

"If there's any kind of special knife or book your after me and my friend could go get it, or I could just help around here of you want."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2019, 10:39:07 am »

"Have you tried to bind a spirit to the body your going to raise?"

"If there's any kind of special knife or book your after me and my friend could go get it, or I could just help around here of you want."
+1

Mooply

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2019, 12:55:37 am »

"Have you tried to bind a spirit to the body you're going to raise? Otherwise, ff there's any kind of special knife or book you're after, my friend and I could go get it, or I could just help around here of you want."

"Mmm, quite right I have. It seems that the soul is simply too volatile of a material to harness effectively. Perhaps it's not the method that is inadequate, but simply the materials. Build an undead out of parts that won't rot, desiccate, or deteriorate to maintain a proper base to work off of. Now... the only other undead I know of that can maintain a coherence of rational thought is myself... though lichdom is far too costly and would create far too many rivals... and... a vampire. Hmm... a vampire could work..."

At this point, Ser Hoofsbane slams his axe down and shouts,
"Alright, that is enough! You have ignored my advice at every turn, you have spared goblins, and now you seek to give fealty to this... this... ABOMINATION? I refuse. I adamantly refuse. I revoke any and all vows that I had with you, and now... I swear to you, I will come back, and I will burn this entire tower to the ground, with you in it, if it comes to that."

He quickly sprints out of the building, slamming the heavy wooden doorway and shaking the structure a bit.

"Ah, was he with you? Do you want me to send some skeletons to take care of him for you? Could be a complication, you know. No matter now, though. I've marked you for safe passage within these walls, you may explore as you wish, and use the bedroom on the ninth floor if need be. I have no need for it anymore. Just... dust away the cobwebs I suppose. Ah and don't take anything. If you do, I will know, and you will regret it. I had been looking for someone of the fleshy persuasion to do my diplomatic duties for me. As you imagine, I don't make many friends with my work."

You nod your head and he continues,
"If you want to assist me with capturing a vampire, just let me know. I'll be heading for the city of Whisperwalls, to the North. A rather self-righteous lot, if I say so myself. They are quite upset with me for taking a few bodies here and there from their various wars. And... well... sometimes you have to retaliate with hostility when angry soldiers demand you leave or they'll mount your head on a wall. Nevertheless, I hope to find the vampire that's hiding among them. If not, I do have some other pressing issues I need sorted."

At this, he glances over towards the elf,
"That one's from the West, kept trying to make me stop cutting the trees. Perhaps you could negotiate with them for me? I'd rather not keep the elf around, she eats too much."

"I do not. I can't help that my tastes are refined."

"As well, I always need more bodies to keep my horde strong. If you could convince one of the cities to provide me with bodies, well, I'd be very grateful. Sacking small hamlets and stealing from battlefields has net me nothing but trouble."

You feel like your recent experiences have brought upon new opportunities to improve yourself. You have gained 3 character points:

1 point for diplomatically resolving the goblin gate.
1 point for violently resolving the zombie guard situation.
1 point for diplomatically resolving the necromancer situation.
Ser Hoofsbane is now an enemy, and will occasionally oppose you.
Ura the Necromancer is now an acquaintance, and will help you if it is beneficial to her.

(Character points can be used to buy new skills or improve current ones, improve attributes, increase HP/FP, buy new spells or improve current ones. New skills/spells always cost 1 point. See GURPS Lite or ask me on the specific cost of an improvement.)

Ura is available to teach these necromantic spells:
Death Vision: (The subject sees a vivid apparition of his own death from a possible future. The effect is chilling and will mentally stun the subject. Costs 2 FP. Requires 3 seconds of concentration to cast.)
Steal Energy: (Steals FP from a living subject and transfers it to the caster via touch. The subject must be helpless or willing. Every 3 FP taken from the subject restores 1 FP to the caster. Requires 1 minute of concentration to cast per 3 FP stolen.)

The necromancer's tower is now available to use at your disposal. The tower has 10 rooms:
Basement floor: Treasure room. Filled with a few chests and a lot of bones, like, waaaay too many bones.
1st floor: Study room/Entrance. Contains a few tomes of necromantic knowledge, miscellaneous supplies, ample space to experiment, and an elf liaison hostage.
2nd floor: Library/Laboratory. Contains a vast amount of books from all over the world. Also includes some laboratory supplies that don't fit in the entrance level.
3rd floor: "Medical" wing. Contains a rather gruesome room where bodies are prepared for stitching, repair, and raising.
4th floor: Zombie pits. Excess hordes of zombies are held in cages here. It's very loud.
5th floor: Skeleton pits. Excess hordes of skeletons are held in cages here. It sounds like a xylephone. Also loud.
6th floor: Experimental subjects. Where the stitched up remains of various abominations are kept. Strangely quiet. Too quiet.
7th floor: Map room. Contains various maps of the various kingdoms and the world. Also contains scrolls and books on most of the prominent kingdoms of the surrounding area.
8th floor: The den. Contains a roaring magical fireplace, as well as musical instruments that strum on their own. Filled with many peculiar distractions.
9th floor: The bedrooms. Contains a few bedrooms that have long since run into disarray. Is that a cave spider or is it just a rug?
10th floor: The observatory. The top of the tower, where a telescope has been put into place, as well as a number of esoteric magical devices used to track and interpret the stars.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2019, 03:47:00 am »

We should put the points into the Fast-Talk, Acting, and Diplomacy skills.

Before we get towns to donate bodies we should look over the maps and see what books are around.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6