Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Prosperous Universe: a browser based interstellar economy sim  (Read 15680 times)

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prosperous Universe: a browser based interstellar economy sim
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2021, 09:42:15 pm »

I saw this game posted on mmorpg reddit in one of the topics. I was going to make a thread, but this is a thing I guess.

I haven't played though (yet), is it any good to get into?

It's interesting... through development is pretty slow.   The first few weeks can be pretty slow, but it picks up after that.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2022, 02:09:55 pm »

Its been released on steam officially.

Thats all I can add though, but pretty big news. I don't have time to try it out (will be gone soon for next few days), but thought give heads up

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2022, 05:38:57 pm »

This is your fault, forum!  I've spent too much time in the game this week.

It's pretty good for a market simulation game to be honest.  The fact that it just runs in a browser is pretty awesome.  It also does a really good job of having very very little "baked in" effects - the only things predetermined are the manufacturing recipes themselves; all other aspects of pricing are due to players.

I haven't figured out where the game truly gets its currency source/sinks though; there is a mechanism called a "market maker" where if there is enough trade in a commodity the system will set up buy/sell orders with infinite volume; I suspect that's the main source.  The only other source I can see is restarts, but it's intelligently throttled; for each account you have an exponentially increasing delay between when you are allowed to liquidate your corp, and getting a new corp only gives you a couple hundred thousand credits anyway.  You'd have to do tons of meta-gaming to create new corps and set up dumb trades to funnel their funds to a 'main'.

It's infrastructure is bit fragile though; there have been at least two periods this week where the server goes down.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]