Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two questions  (Read 798 times)

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
Two questions
« on: June 03, 2019, 01:10:41 pm »

1. Is it possible to make a creature that drops seeds of a type of grass?
2. Is it possible to make the aforementioned type of grass overtake other plants?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Two questions
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 04:42:56 pm »

General modding and creature modding questions should really be asked in their respective megathreads, that are almost always sitting on the front page of this forum.  Helps keep it from getting cluttered with everyone's general modding questions.

As to your questions:

1) Making creature's drop specific objects (unique item types like SEED) at random is not possible as far as I know.  You can make creature's drop BODYPART items, through transformation syndromes.  If a creature transforms into another creature variation with bodyparts that aren't connected, or whose connective tissue instantly melts, you can make that creature drop the bodypart.  Have it transform back, and you effectively  get a creature that drops items.  Transformations instantly heal the creature though, so it makes them very resilient.  The bodyparts can then be processed via reactions (using reaction class, material reaction product, or item reaction product tags) into whatever item you want.

2) I think the answer is no.  Grass and moss doesn't grow from seeds, it is spawned and spread onto soil/stone independently.  Seeds need to be planted by growers in farmplots.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 11:03:45 am »

You can simulate this by making it "drop" creature extract, like a snail slime trail, but dwarves might be inclined to clean that up inside, while rain would wash it away on the outside.

I'm sure it's possible with dfhack, but you would need to write a custom script for that.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 12:29:00 pm »

General modding and creature modding questions should really be asked in their respective megathreads, that are almost always sitting on the front page of this forum.  Helps keep it from getting cluttered with everyone's general modding questions.

As to your questions:

1) Making creature's drop specific objects (unique item types like SEED) at random is not possible as far as I know.  You can make creature's drop BODYPART items, through transformation syndromes.  If a creature transforms into another creature variation with bodyparts that aren't connected, or whose connective tissue instantly melts, you can make that creature drop the bodypart.  Have it transform back, and you effectively  get a creature that drops items.  Transformations instantly heal the creature though, so it makes them very resilient.  The bodyparts can then be processed via reactions (using reaction class, material reaction product, or item reaction product tags) into whatever item you want.

2) I think the answer is no.  Grass and moss doesn't grow from seeds, it is spawned and spread onto soil/stone independently.  Seeds need to be planted by growers in farmplots.
1. By drop, I meant spawn.
2. By overtake, I meant killing other plants and spreading onto their tiles once it is spawned.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 12:30:03 pm »

You can simulate this by making it "drop" creature extract, like a snail slime trail, but dwarves might be inclined to clean that up inside, while rain would wash it away on the outside.

I'm sure it's possible with dfhack, but you would need to write a custom script for that.
I want to use it as "creep" for a race, not as a temporary thing.

Naga/Lamia race

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 07:20:07 am »

I'm aware of what you want to do. It's not possible, hence I offered the workarounds. The only solution would be a custom dfhack script that you write yourself.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::