Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Candles In The Dark: A Godgame with a twist (OOC)  (Read 2439 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Candles In The Dark: A Godgame with a twist (OOC)
« on: June 06, 2019, 02:01:58 am »

Candles In The Dark: A Godgame with a twist.
"It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."

Here we have a shard of divine essence, spiralling through the void. Pretty standard stuff. Here we have a star, orbited by some planets. Nothing unusual so far. Now the divine shard enters the orbit of the star, and the solar energy causes it to stir after eons of hibernation. As one does. The shard gives birth to a number of gods, multifarious in nature, who set their eyes upon a certain planet, where warm seas teem with primitive life. So it goes. The gods crack their metaphorical (or literal) knuckles, and prepare to mould the world to their liking, eyeing each other up and forming alliances and rivalries, some eagerly anticipating sending their legions of mortal followers to war in their name, others hoping to create a peaceful utopia. Same old, same old.
But hark, what is this? Something strange is afoot, and even the gods shudder. Swimming through the void, following on the trail of the divine shard, comes a darkness; an all-consuming eldritch entity of absolute hatred, that makes the most sinister, blood-stained, fiery-eyed of gods seem like choirboys. Now this is unusual. Though only recently born, the gods feel that this should not be. Their playground should be for them alone, yet here comes something that seeks not only to kick over their sandcastles, but devour the entire playground and everything in it.
Fortunately, the darkness is not yet upon them, and indeed the light of the star seems to be keeping it at bay... but already tendrils reach out, and upon the virgin world are spawned indescribable beings, that begin to ravage the land and seas. For a brief moment, the gods set aside their scheming, and each sets forth to smite the eldritch intruders. 'tis but the work of moments for them, and the world is saved.

For now.

Yes hello. This was an idea that came to me after discussing what elements make forum games enjoyable in this thread- specifically, the addition of a threat. Not, to be clear, an unstoppable, hope-destroying threat. This is not grimderp. This is a threat that can be held at bay. It is not my intention that this is a purely PvE game wherein all your efforts are directed towards fighting the Eldritch Threat, but rather to add a challenge to an otherwise sandbox scenario.

I am not much of a fan of incredibly lengthy rulesets. This shall be a fairly freeform affair. That said, here are the basic rules:

Spoiler: The Eldritch Threat (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Application (click to show/hide)

Note that signups will not be first come first served. Earlier applications will have priority, but may be passed over if they do not seem suitable. For example, if your god has a ludicrously narrow sphere- this is not the Discworld, the Goddess of Things Stuck In Drawers will not be a major player in the pantheon.
Signups are closed, the gods have been chosen.

This is somewhat experimental, so if you have any feedback or suggestions, I'm certainly willing to consider changing things. I may tweak things even after the game has started, if necessary.
Also, if you have any questions, I will answer them (I've probably forgotten some obvious stuff, for instance).

PS: Apologies to those who have been patiently awaiting a BFA update. I'm not saying it'll never happen, but I'm not going to let it stop me from starting other games. 

You can ask me questions or chat about the game in the #candles-in-the-dark channel on the General Bay12 Forum Games Discord (Note that you're gonna want to mute 95% of the channels in that server). Of course you can also ask questions/discuss things in this thread, though Discord is somewhat faster.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 02:12:31 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Candles In The Dark: A Godgame with a twist
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 02:29:00 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 02:54:02 am »

Spoiler: Anath (click to show/hide)

It's been quite some time since I played in a god game. Let's see how this one goes. Assuming I get in.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 03:29:05 am »

I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.
I came for the games and stayed for the lack of sanity.
Grammar is my only weakness

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 04:07:15 am »

Posting to sheet later on

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 02:01:31 am by Tiruin »

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 06:05:45 am »

This game sounds awesome!

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 06:12:47 am »

Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 06:28:52 am »

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 09:46:24 am by TricMagic »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 07:28:48 am »

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 08:31:04 am by Sentient Bowtie »
Black lives matter.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 07:51:07 am »

Taking inspiration from real mythology is one thing, directly copying it is another. If nothing else, it's disrespectful, considering that's a living religion.
Long Live United Forenia!

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 08:39:09 am »

Watching
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 08:47:23 am »

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 10:14:08 am by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 08:57:32 am »

Switched out light god for something new. Trying out a money god.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 09:47:05 am by Roboson »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 09:03:36 am »

Spoiler: Drov Sheet (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Changed to Ambition.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 09:36:27 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2019, 09:53:28 am »

Bunch of sheets already posted, but there is enough overlap in similar gods that I feel confident enough to add my own controversial one into the fray.

Pages: [1] 2 3