Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Candles In The Dark: A Godgame with a twist (OOC)  (Read 2443 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Candles In The Dark: A Godgame with a twist
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2019, 10:27:38 am »

Spoiler: Ventura Sheet (click to show/hide)
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2019, 02:27:35 pm »

Right. Decided to throw in my application to this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2019, 03:17:52 pm »

Spoiler: Death Goddess (click to show/hide)

A bit more than seven.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 03:23:43 pm by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2019, 02:46:40 am »

Welp, this is the hardest part of starting a godgame, innit? Choosing who gets in. There are... looks like 15 applications, but for the sake of my sanity I must limit the game to 7 gods. Which would've been easier if some of you had submitted terrible applications- very inconsiderate of you to all propose acceptable gods.
Well then, no time like the present. The pantheon will be as follows, at least to start with- it's hypothetically possible I might accept another god or two if things go smoothly, or that someone drops out.

Crazyabe: Athalonus (Machines)
Happerry: Anath (Night)
Wozzy: Saraab (Growth)
Micelus: Ma Dong (War)
Glass: Bastion (Preservation)
Elvish Miner: Go'sha (Destruction)
FallacyOfUrist: Ventura (Wind)

Again, this was not an easy decision, so please don't feel bad if you didn't get in.

I will write an introduction and put up an IC thread shortly.
Long Live United Forenia!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Candles In The Dark: A Godgame with a twist (OOC)
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2019, 12:48:45 pm »

For reference, the barrier being discussed right now would have the following cost, depending on strength:
A very weak barrier that would only give advance warning of Eldritch intrusion would cost 6DE. One that slowed intrusions a little 7. A little more 8. More still 9. A barrier that completely prevents all intrusion would cost 10 (but would obviously not last forever). Spending more than 10 would result in a stronger barrier, but would also result in a seriously powerful reaction from the Eldritch Threat- one that you may not be able to handle at this stage.

Also, whilst you are of course free to do whatever you want, I'd prefer it if you didn't completely neglect the planet in favour of building endless layers of defences. If nothing else, I will tell you for free that the ET will get stronger over time, and without more strength- which can only be gained from Belief-, you're going to have a bad time- eventually your walls will fail.

E: Oh, and in case anyone forgot/didn't realise, you each have 9DE currently, with a per turn income of 3.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 01:04:43 pm by NUKE9.13 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 09:54:25 am »

Crazyabe has indicated that work commitments have rendered him unable to participate in forum games for the next while, so Athalonus is getting replaced with Roboson's god, Kamoan, effective immediately.

Also, if you've done everything you want to this turn, please indicate this somehow (for instance, adding ((Done)) to the bottom of your last action post). If you still have stuff you want to do, please do so. I'd like to be able to update this weekend, at least, if not sooner. 

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2019, 10:27:48 am »

I feel sort of bad quadruple-posting, but whatever. Roboson asked a question in Discord that I think is relevant for everyone:

NUKE9.13 Today at 4:59 PM
By the way, I should mention that whilst the dragons have considerable magical potential, they do not actually know anything in the way of structured magical lore.
Roboson Today at 5:01 PM
Now that's an interesting thing. How are you handling magic here? Do we need like a source of Mana or laws governing it?
NUKE9.13 Today at 5:13 PM
Magic requires a source of power, and some form of structure through which to channel said power. The flight and fire of dragons is magic, the source of power being their own natural energy, and the structure being built-in to their biology. Almost anything can be used as a source of power- divine energy, natural forces, the ET-, and almost any sort of lore can be devised to channel it. There is no prebuilt magical lore- either divine intervention or mortal ingenuity will be needed to create it.
(By the way, this being relevant to everyone, do you mind if I share this fragment of conversation?)

If you have questions you'd rather keep sekrit, you can PM me here or on Discord, but if you have general questions, it'd be better to ask them in this thread or in the Discord channel (I'll try to copy over any relevant stuff from the channel to this thread for those that aren't on Discord, although I will again recommend joining it, it's just convenient).

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2019, 03:53:05 pm »

There is no prebuilt magical lore- either divine intervention or mortal ingenuity will be needed to create it.
So if a god wanted to make a school of magic, would they need to spend DE, or would they just need to do an action post where they send an avatar or servant to teach a mortal the relevant lore? Or both?
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2019, 01:19:24 am »

There is no prebuilt magical lore- either divine intervention or mortal ingenuity will be needed to create it.
So if a god wanted to make a school of magic, would they need to spend DE, or would they just need to do an action post where they send an avatar or servant to teach a mortal the relevant lore? Or both?
You’d need to spend DE to make the requisite structure. 4DE would get you a structure and a few spell sorts, 5DE a structure & way of sourcing power from something (otherwise limiting the magic to only users with their own innate magic) & several spells. 3DE can add a spell (sort) to an existing structure.
You can create divine magic, where your own power contributes to each spell cast, by setting aside some of your per-turn income. Even setting aside 1DE p/t would allow for a lot of spellcasting, since the mage would still be providing the majority of the necessary energy.

I should mention that mortals may stumble across things on their own, and whilst it is unlikely, they could develop magical lore by themselves.

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2019, 11:34:39 am »

You mentioned that at the beginning we can use up to 7DE without having to worry about too strong of an EB response; how many more turns will this be active for?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2019, 11:53:23 am »

Basically this turn and the next. After that the ET will slowly get stronger. I will mention if you notice the ET's strength increasing, and what level of action remains safe.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2019, 05:01:04 pm »

Turn Index for Ease of IC Thread Navigation
Turn 0, Turn 1, Turn 2, Turn 3, Turn 4, Turn 5, Turn 6, Turn 7, Turn 8, Turn 9, Turn 10
Turn 11, Turn 12, Turn 13, Turn 14, Turn 15, Turn 16, Turn 17, Turn 18, Turn 19, Turn 20
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 04:34:57 am by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2019, 08:23:00 am »

Discussion on mutating/evolving from Discord:

Wozzy: How much energy would it take to make some antelope evolve into a different kind of mammal?[...]

Nuke9.13: For a very minor change, 2DE (like, a subspecies slightly better adapted to heat/cold or whatever). For a distinct species that is still related, 3DE (you could do a few varieties). For a completely distinct species, 4DE (the antelope base at this point being mainly fluff)(you could do a handful of somewhat related species). [...]

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2019, 11:42:10 am »

What happens to the dragon's horde when they die? Do they have children?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2019, 04:06:15 am »

What happens to the dragon's horde when they die? Do they have children?
Minor note, a horde is a large group of people. The etymology comes from the mongolian/turkic word 'ordo', which was the word for the court/government of large steppe nomad nations (AKA a horde). A hoard is a collection of treasure, and has a germanic etymology. It's just one more confusing thing about english.

Anyway, this is partly up to Roboson, so what follows may be modified if he has anything to add.
Dragons definitely do reproduce. I imagine they only have one child at a time, which is incubated by the mother on her hoard (which confers part of its energy to the embryonic dragon). The father probably keeps in touch to make sure that his offspring is safe and healthy until they can survive alone. Once a dragon has reached maturity, its parents give it a portion of their hoards to get it started, and it flies off to find somewhere to live.
Dragons of sufficient power can live for a very long time. Mud-dragons (with no notable hoard) don't make it past a century before dying of old age, but the Star-dragons are still alive and kicking, and those are of the first generation (and whilst the timescale is somewhat indeterminate, it has surely been at least a millennia since dragons were first created). Confubrum is also several centuries old, but he is feeling the weight of years, and will probably pass away naturally in the coming turn.
So, what happens to a dragon's hoard when they die? The way I picture it, they can feel their (natural) deaths coming, and may attempt to contact their offspring in order to hand off their wealth. Dragons that die unexpectedly will leave behind a well-hidden stash of wealth somewhere, though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3