Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Baldur's Gate 3  (Read 10008 times)

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Baldur's Gate 3
« on: June 06, 2019, 11:59:44 am »

What? This isn't being discussed yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcP0WdH7rTs

What we know so far:
Is being created by the team behind Divinity: Original Sin.
Will use D&D 5e rules.
Won't be out this year.
Will be on Steam and GoG but not on EGS.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 12:04:34 pm by wereboar »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Baldur's Gate 3
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 01:11:04 pm »

This is try what? 3 or 4 for Bauldur's Gate 3?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 01:34:19 pm »

Here's an article from Rock Paper Shotgun. Just as a note, the reveal trailer is a bit gory.

I am glad that it is Larien working on it, since both Divinity 1 and 2 have been well recieved and I have enjoyed playing Divinity 1 so I do think they have a good amount of experience behind them.

I haven't finished Divinity 1 and don't own Divinity 2 for that reason. I enjoy the gameplay well enough and the characters and writing are humourous. Why haven't I finished Divinity 1? I'm not too sure, not invested in the story much I suppose, also it's difficult to get back into it after a long period of not playing.

I'm also glad this isn't going to be a continuation of the story from Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. That was all finished and tied up so not tacking more onto the already closed story is a nice show of restraint.
I look forward to seeing what they come up with. I don't really have any other feelings aside from curiosity. Calling it "Baldur's Gate" feels like it would be more limiting than anything else because it doesn't really describe anything about their story other than it takes place in Baldur's Gate. I know it works for marketing purposes but, eh whatever.
I'll miss the move away from the Infinity Engine and THAC0 though.

There's been a number of spiritual successors to Baldur's Gate, I believe that mostly meant an epic storied RPG like Pillars of Eternity or Torment: Tides of Numenera. There hasn't been a game with the same title as the originals though, well except for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 01:43:48 pm »

There's been a number of spiritual successors to Baldur's Gate, I believe that mostly meant an epic storied RPG like Pillars of Eternity or Torment: Tides of Numenera. There hasn't been a game with the same title as the originals though, well except for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.
There's been 3 or 4 studios who've attempted to make Baldur's Gate III in the past two decades, but they've never managed to pan out. Hopefully this one will actually get completed.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 02:46:48 pm »

I've read a tweet from the studio developing this saying that they've tripled their studio size for this.

So clearly, they're confident about it, but I'm not sure tripling a studio size is a good decision...

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 06:00:46 pm »

I've read a tweet from the studio developing this saying that they've tripled their studio size for this.

So clearly, they're confident about it, but I'm not sure tripling a studio size is a good decision...

It doesn't mean much. Studios regularly hire people for multi-year projects and then release them when the product ships.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 08:55:56 pm »

Inb4 grognards get angry that it's not using the same engine, art style, voice actors and design patterns as BG2 from 20 years ago.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 12:16:43 am »

Well, I hope it is good, but the name doesn't mean much. It is just a bought brand. Comparison: how shitty Betheseda's recent Fallouts have been.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 12:55:05 am »

It seems like one of the major focuses for Larien is the party interactions which, from what I've seen in Divinity: Original Sin, is a pretty good strength of theirs. Exploration of the surrounding countryside sounds neat though I guess that'll be more like Baldur's Gate's specific locations of interest and less like roaming around in Skyrim. They mention multiplayer which is not something I ever attempted with Baldur's Gate, I suppose that'll take a similar form to what's in Divinity.

@Majestic7: I think that's kind of my thought as well. I don't really know what to expect from a Baldur's Gate 3. Saying an epic plot RPG with party interactions is, like, ok but that comes down to the skill of the writing team at Larien. I think my biggest hope is that they do something more interesting with the plot then "Illithids infiltrate and attack the city of Baldur's Gate. Adventurers go in to solve problem" since to me that's similar to so many past Forgotten Realms RPGs.

Plot speculation:
The main character could be some kind of humanoid looking half-Illithid spawn due to something wrong happening during the ceremorphosis perhaps? That's where some of the writing-style of Chris Avallone could come in; The reason why your party follows your directions so unthinkingly is because you have a latent mind control due to your half-illithid nature and you have to try and figure out what's your own actions and what's suggested to you by the Elder Brain trying to control you.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 01:34:54 am »

I don't understand the popularity of Original Sin. I disliked the silly tone and bounced off it hard so I didn't get very far and had no interest in it's sequel. I enjoyed BG1&2 and ToB which all had their own bits of silliness but it was just bits, not the theme. I'm not enthusiastic about Larian having a stab at BG3 unless it is actually BG3 and not just a renamed third OS.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 05:14:26 am »

... I'm not enthusiastic about Larian having a stab at BG3...

Yeah. I'm not dismissing this as terrible, but I'm not gonna count the days until release or anything. Which I guess is probably fine, really -- having expectations is the first step to being disappointed.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 09:13:29 am »

It'll probably be a good game, and probably a great RPG, but it's not going to be a good Baldur's Gate game.  There are plenty of Forgotten Realms video games that don't have the Baldur's Gate title and it's clear that the name is just being slapped on because of brand recognition.  Like Mech stated, the Baldur's Gate story was already wrapped up in the previous games.  At the very least remove the "3" from the title since it's not really the 3rd game in the series, but a "spinoff" in a broad sense.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2019, 01:28:52 pm »

To quote myself from the happy thread

Anyway, I'm happy that one of my first game experiences and favourites are finally getting that second sequel.

I'm not very happy about it being made by Larian. The writing of everything they've ever done that I've played, from the original Divinity to Orignal Sins 1 and 2, have been absolutely atrocious.

[...]

I hope it's more than "elements of [5th edition DnD]". We don't want another Legends of the Sword Coast. Never heard if it? It was a complete flop that came out a few years ago. Awful implementation of the system. Basically just slapping 5th ed terms on it for show. And Larian has not impressed me in the least with their ability to create their own systems.

...Only now in hindsight I feel that maybe "absolutely atrocious" was too harsh. "Not particularly interesting" is more appropriate. I also echo above poster's sentiment about the silliness of the writing.

Anyway, early warning signs about their interpretation of 5th ed abound:

Quote from: PCGamer article:
There are some things on the chopping block, however. It's an interpretation of D&D, specifically 5th Edition, because porting the core rules, which Larian tried to do, doesn't work. Or it works, Vincke clarifies, but it's no fun at all. One of the culprits is missing when you're trying to hit an enemy, and while the combat system has yet to be revealed, you can at least look forward to being able to smack people more consistently.

"You miss a lot in D&D—if the dice are bad, you miss," he says. "That doesn't work well in a videogame. If I do that, you're going to review it and say it's shit."
Love, scriver~

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2019, 07:29:53 pm »

"You miss a lot in D&D—if the dice are bad, you miss," he says. "That doesn't work well in a videogame. If I do that, you're going to review it and say it's shit."

God forbid a dice rolling game features random outcomes from rolling dice. The horror of it all.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 07:31:39 pm by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2019, 08:23:48 pm »

God forbid a dice rolling game features random outcomes from rolling dice. The horror of it all.

Yeah man bad reviews, like those other DnD games that stayed true to the system and ended up as the basic foundation for all PC RPG'S everywhere.

Just like that. We don't want to repeat that.

Still look forward to it, but sure as hell am not buying it at launch. Was burned on the last few DnD games.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7