Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Baldur's Gate 3  (Read 9994 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Baldur's Gate 3
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2019, 04:46:41 pm »

I'm so hyped for this - I think they're currently the best people for the job and after the success of D:OS2 I'm sure they can make a very enjoyable game.

My only hope with this is that they don't go too silly with it - I really doubt they will after the creepy trailer, but I'm hoping they won't try and make it all quirky. My real worry though is that they'll try and simplify it down and give it a wider appeal - D:OS2 combat was pretty basic at it's core, and had nowhere near the complexity of the 5e rules with all the spells and stuff. I just can imagine them saying 'buffing a party before combat is sometimes tedious so no buffs' etc.

Still, definitely the best studio for the game.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2019, 05:37:14 pm »

I'm pretty optimistic.

D:OS2 might be my favorite of that style of RPG's. The detail in the world was truly impressive.

Proper preparation before a fight was actually something I really enjoyed about DnD, I hope they leave that in.

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2019, 06:27:37 pm »

The original Baldur's Gate was on the unforgiving side if you started as one of the magic based classes, especially if you were new to the game and didn't know about some of the big hazards early on.  Way too squishy.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2019, 12:09:07 am »

Yah, I remember one time I created a mage with 2 hitpoints. I managed to get through the beginning area only to die during a cutscene where you get hit by a spell. Somehow, even though the spell isn't supposed to deal damage, my character died and the cutscene stalled.

I also enjoyed the pre-battle preperation. Casting buffs, drinking potions and protections in preperation for specific enemies, like buying scrolls of protection against stoning when you know you're going to go up against basilisks or a fire wand for dealing with trolls.

That was something I enjoyed a lot about early DnD. Enemies like basilisks and trolls required specific tactics otherwise you'd either get stoned immediately or be unable to kill them completely or different slimes being immune to piercing/blunt/slashing attacks. That kind of thing worked well as it forced you to consider your items and plan ahead.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2019, 04:35:17 am »

Remember it's 5e. Every magic class can get attack cantrips. Oh, and depending on how mich like 5e it is, it's a closed accuracy system. So even 16 in your main stat can be enough to have a 40-60% chance of something hitting/sticking.
It's a game. Have fun.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2019, 07:16:35 am »

Do we know when there will be an announcement on the actual gameplay? The developers are oddly coy on that point. The vacuum has encouraged a lot of speculation, some of which may just be people projecting their fears/hopes. Everything from the same isometric with pause, to turn-based, to something like the Witcher.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2019, 12:44:08 pm »

I mean it would almost have to be the whole isometric setup. It's Baldur's Gate.

It would have to either be that or something exceeding the Witcher 3 in order to not be deemed a cash grab on a nostalgic title, whether it was or not.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2019, 12:52:48 pm »

ptw because it's BG3 and I hope they don't fuck it up

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2019, 11:59:09 pm »

I mean it would almost have to be the whole isometric setup. It's Baldur's Gate.

Yeah, that's what I expect, too. But if it's the case, why not say it? Maybe speculation is considered good marketing.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2019, 12:45:26 am »

Their team has lots of practice/experience with D:OS 1 and 2, and they essentially use the 75 degree semi-top-down perspective that is the essence of the "isometric" expectation.

Going "Witcher" mechanic would require breaking with that experience. I can't see management doing it.  (Well, if EA or some other big publisher got its poisoned talons in, maybe, but the imeptus would be to leverage what they already know and have, to give fans what they expect and want, because that is how you make a killing at market.)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2019, 09:49:01 am »

Remember it's 5e. Every magic class can get attack cantrips. Oh, and depending on how mich like 5e it is, it's a closed accuracy system. So even 16 in your main stat can be enough to have a 40-60% chance of something hitting/sticking.

The devs have said they're not going to have accuracy (or at least, hits and misses) in BG:3. I imagine their might be spells/effects that cause a miss x% of the time, or that there might be grazes/hits/criticals or something like that as I imagine otherwise it'd limit a lot of equipment/spells that effect that (take blur for instance).

I get why they're going down that path, as it would see a bit frustrating to many newer gamers to not hit most/a considerable amount of the time ('they're right next to them!') - Xcom gets away with it as it's mostly ranged, but seeing your fighter stand next to something and miss 4 times out of 5 might seem annoying to some.

My only fear is that they'll start chucking out other systems that 'dont seem fun' with that.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2019, 11:59:27 am »

You could deal with misses by having block and dodge animations. But if you want to cut on animation costs... Yeah, I don't know, every attack dealing damage sounds bad. It will have an effect on HP economy after all and soon characters are quaffing healing potions like in Diablo.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2019, 12:03:07 pm »

I don't really understand the bit about accuracy/misses.  Other than the occasional person that doesn't get how RNG works I don't remember seeing much discontent about accuracy and misses for either D&D or the D:OS games.  It certainly doesn't seem to have hurt either's popularity, so I'm not sure why it should be such a concern that it needs removed/changed.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2019, 12:11:29 pm »

You could deal with misses by having block and dodge animations.
I think Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic did that. A miss would do an animation of dodging or some fencing and maneuvering.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2019, 12:22:38 pm »

I wouldn't underestimate the power of confirmation bias and lack of knowledge about how RNG works. I haven't seen many complaints about accuracy for Isometric RPGs, but I have seen more folks complain about RNG in stuff like Darkest Dungeon and XCOM.

That being said, the advantage/disadvantage system is partly based around rolling to hit stuff, and that's generally what I think of when I think of 5e, so I'm not sure what's the point of basing things of of 5e if they end up getting rid of that.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7