Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Baldur's Gate 3  (Read 9985 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Baldur's Gate 3
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2019, 08:20:08 am »

That could also be interpreted as:  you'll miss less often.

I think base to-hit in D:OS II is 90 or 95% instead of 50% in 5e. Both have problems with too many hitpoints, so even minor fights go on forever.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2019, 02:47:38 pm »

Ptw
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2020, 12:37:39 am »

Game play videos are out. From the start I suspected that this game wouldn't be for me but there was still a slight chance because of the IP. Now my suspicions have been confirmed and I can move on.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2020, 01:58:51 pm »

I quite like the turn-based aspect of it.

Older dnd games eventually turned turn-based for me anyway as I paused and unpaused every 5s anyway to strategize. So this simply feels more fluid to me.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2020, 02:41:48 pm »

Game play videos are out. From the start I suspected that this game wouldn't be for me but there was still a slight chance because of the IP. Now my suspicions have been confirmed and I can move on.
I demand that you ellaborate

Edit:
I quite like the turn-based aspect of it.

Older dnd games eventually turned turn-based for me anyway as I paused and unpaused every 5s anyway to strategize. So this simply feels more fluid to me.
Tbh if the controversy is regarding turn based vs Real time with pause, IMO either can be good (I slightly favor turn based but I've had good experiences in my replay of Kingmaker, using the slo mo button when necessary).

What I don't believe  too much is that you can do both turn based and RTWP in the same game and keep both equally good. Obsidian did a good try but deadfire turnbased feels clunky (and I really wanted to use turn  based rather than real time)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 02:45:34 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2020, 03:38:31 pm »

What I don't believe  too much is that you can do both turn based and RTWP in the same game and keep both equally good. Obsidian did a good try but deadfire turnbased feels clunky (and I really wanted to use turn  based rather than real time)

This came up when reading the description of another game (that I suspect I misunderstood) but the idea seemed rather interesting-- it's timeline turn-based so you can do something like throw a grenade, then have somebody else start firing two seconds later right when the grenade goes off... But, if you tripwire (a la XCOM), all your preset actions immediately trigger and the remaining time in your turn gets converted to realtime... Probably to scramble for cover, but it's better than having an entire pod unload in your scout's face.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 09:37:53 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2020, 03:43:23 pm »

It does seem sort of X-Com-ish. Your guys seem to take their turn, then the enemy gets theirs.

I will undoubtedly be playing it duo with a bud, as well.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2020, 06:07:37 pm »

That's the worst kind of turnbased

Individual initiative or bust

especially in DnD

Let's all get the EA thing and nag them into changing it

Let's start a DnD campaign
Love, scriver~

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2020, 06:25:13 pm »

Yeup.

I demand that you ellaborate

Larian's previous offerings have convinced me that I really can't be bothered with the tedium of carving through an entire RPG's worth of monsters one unit, one turn at a time.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2020, 06:32:59 pm »

Nothing wrong with not liking turn-based combat.

I enjoy it, but not everyone has to.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2020, 10:52:58 pm »

Something about it doesn't appeal to me either - probably the verticality of the unpassible areas (from the segments I watched. I'm not watching an hour and a half of this...). It made me think of that PSP DnD game where the maps were gigantic which sucked. Normally, that's cool, but visability was poor so strategy was a bit limited. I hope that's not the case here, or if it is, that it makes that an enjoyable experience rather than a frustrating slog.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 29, 2020, 12:39:24 am »

There'll probably be an option to zoom out a bit. The videos seen are all at that zoom level so we can see the nice textures, not the overarching tactical gameplay. But there doesn't seem to be any lack of verticality in the scenery, tactical initiative to hold the high ground, or a huge amount of blocking by obstacles. It's not Ultima 8's jumping puzzles, more like a Barb from D2 going "imma gonna jump *there*". Not necessarily the most realistic thing, but it seems that movement is pretty open on this one.

There also seems to be plenty of little bonuses for use of the environment as well, but not totally enforced ones either. Just stuff you can do, if you want, and that's a thing your character would use if given the option.

I'm actually a bit of a fan of the I-go-U-go turn based system for combat. It lets you chain awesomeness together, and works really well for CRPGs. It allows an aspect of forward planning that's unavailable in individual initiative based systems, but works more fluidly than real-time with pause, giving you more planning/tactics/character-building and options of how to deal with things.

I also like the sound of the real-time, but turn-based when you want it, system for exploration. It allows tonnes of decent set pieces, but also a fluid approach on how things play out. As well as a proper stealth system outside of combat. It's not like you'll never use the save/load system, so even just trying out stuff for funsies is worthwhile.

Hell, just having a save/load system removes a game so far from "proper" DnD that you may as well roll with the changes from there, and assume that they were put in to make a better game, not a worse one, for the players of it. And I am a fan of DnD, from 2nd, all the way to 5e, minus 4th. But it's a computer game. Having a strictly 5e system enforced on a game I'm going to buy would just make it a crappy, boring game when it came to combat, when I'm controlling all the characters, so I'd rather the chain-awesomeness of BG3's one. Makes it more fun, for the power fantasy it is. And I'd rather pay for a good computer game, than for a bad one that stuck to the system it's loosely inspired by (or one that stuck rigidly to its predecessor's formula).

Here's Rock, Paper, Shotgun's little review of the very early demo, and it's honestly looking pretty good on the gameplay options front. With a fair amount of replayability with different character classes, party compositions and tactics used as well:
https://youtu.be/IZ0LJ5BqYrk

I'm pretty excited for this one :)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 01:11:52 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 29, 2020, 07:42:24 am »

I like turn-to-turn. Nothing wrong in it, for me.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 29, 2020, 10:31:17 am »

I myself prefer turn-based because I utterly suck at real time with pause in isometric rpgs (strangely enough, I'm perfectly ok with that for other genres. I think it's just that I get overwhelmed and my anxieties trigger.).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 29, 2020, 12:09:15 pm »

The look of it reminds me of Neverwinter Nights 2, which also used a lot of vertical scenery for blocking paths and such. Maybe it's a nostalgia thing, but i like it immensely.

I want to get a dnd feel, which in dungeons and on maps has barriers. This is nailing it for me right now.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7