Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Work Orders Cancellation Spam  (Read 2430 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Work Orders Cancellation Spam
« on: June 07, 2019, 01:36:28 am »

Hi guys!

I do not understand why am I constantly getting "Urist McCheeseMaker cancels Decorate With ivory/tooth: Needs unrotten ivory/tooth body part" messages for the following order:

I thought that this task won't start if I have less than 5 unrotten ivory/tooth body part as well as 5 improvable items.

There's only one dwarf with the "Bone Carving" labor enabled and, as you can see on the screenshot, the requirements are not fulfilled to start that order.

The same goes for some other tasks (for example, "forge iron gauntlets").

So, what's the deal?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Work Orders Cancellation Spam
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 02:37:25 am »

The order activated; it says Active on that screen. Maybe some of the the ivory/tooth was used elsewhere, is temporarily unavailable due to being hauled, or the conditions to start the order were different when the order started. To stop the messages, you could Suspend the order at the workshop until you know you have enough ivory/tooth to complete the current order (that, or delete and re-enter the order).

If you are receiving a constant supply of the material, but it is being transferred to stockpiles, that would cause the problem too, since it would trigger the order when the animal is butchered but then becomes unavailable while being hauled to the stockpile.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Zeeneri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 01:22:26 am »

Another possibility is if the workshop that received the order is linked to a stockpile. Workshops that are linked do not seek out resources in other stockpiles. So maybe the order activated because on the map you have a total of 5 resources, but only one of those was linked to your shop. The shop can't complete its order because it's locked out from the other 4, and when you look at the workshop order it doesn't have enough materials to fire again, making it red when you look at it because it's already used one, but technically there were enough total resources on the map to fire it off and the order was doomed to fail and shower you with cancellation spam.

I found that you have to be really careful in combining workshop orders and stockpile links. After dealing with several years worth of cancellation spam despite KNOWING there was adequate resources. (mostly for gem-cutters and encrusters.)

virus_found

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 09:51:08 am »

I second that question.
I wish it would be possible to change work order status from Active to something else (pause?) and back again.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 07:11:45 pm »

The hacky way to achieve that is to add a condition that you will never achieve -- for example, >1000 mechanisms or something.

Although this thread is a bit old, I should point out that there *are* bugs.  Sometimes it gets stuck and the only way to fix it is to delete the work order and remake it.  I find that I have to remake many of my work orders every few years.  Given that I often have hundreds of them, it's a real pain.   If you remake it and you *still* have a problem, then you know that the bug is yours, though :-) 

The most common problem I've seen is that it will count something improperly.  So, for example, you can have a dependency on at least 6 mechanisms.  You go through your fortress and there are 5 mechanisms, but your job is green for some reason.  You can change the dependency up or down to  see how many mechanisms the game thinks you have.  So you increase the dependency one mechanism at a time (pressing the '+' button) and at 15 the job suddenly turns red.  The game thinks you have 14 mechanisms.  You delete the work order and create a new one and in the new work order, it's properly counting 5 mechanisms.  All this without ever unpausing the game -- so it's definitely a bug somewhere.  There are other weird problems, but this is the one that I find showing up most often.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2023, 03:38:30 pm »

The hacky way to achieve that is to add a condition that you will never achieve -- for example, >1000 mechanisms or something.

This doesn't help if the work order has already been reactivated, as conditions aren't rechecked once that happens.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2023, 12:13:41 am »

This doesn't help if the work order has already been reactivated, as conditions aren't rechecked once that happens.

That's a good point.  Also cancelling the job doesn't help in that circumstance.  You have to either accomplish the task, or remove the work order and add it back again.