Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Candles In The Dark (IC Thread)(Turn 6)  (Read 6573 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Candles In The Dark (IC Thread)(Turn 6)
« on: June 07, 2019, 03:35:40 am »

Candles In The Dark
(IC thread; please keep discussion and questions to the OOC thread)

In the beginning, the world was boring. The mountains not so tall, the seas not so deep. Volcanic eruptions punctuated the dull rhythm of life, such as it was- single-celled algae filled the seas and shores, whilst amoeba drifted around without much in the way of motivation. Things might've carried on like that for eternity, had the Divine Shard not arrived in the star system, and given birth to seven gods, who set their eyes on the untouched world. With merely a thought, they could advance life by leaps and bounds, turning a dreary primordial soup into a verdant paradise.

However, the gods were not the only ones with designs on the world. Lured there by the scent of the Divine Shard, the Eldritch Threat hungered- seeking to consume the world and its gods. Held at bay, for now, by the solar energy of the sun, the Eldritch Threat could only send fragments of itself to the world- which it immediately did. With surprisingly little fanfare, dozens of giant, amorphous blobs of eldritch energy manifested across the planet, and began to consume everything around them- primarily the primitive life, but the Eldritch Beings were not averse to swallowing rock and water in their quest to weaken the world to the point where the Eldritch Threat could swallow it whole.

As the antithesis of these Eldritch Beings, the gods were naturally horrified- to have their world taken away from them before they could so much as make a single change was an unthinkable travesty. As one, they set forth to smite the intruders, all seven taking care of them in their own way. This would not pose a challenge, of course- newly born, with the power of the Divine Shard filling them to the brim, their strength far outweighed these tiny fragments of eldritch energy. It was more of a sport, really, a chance to show off their powers to the other gods, and the world itself.

Right then. Welcome to the IC thread for Candles in the Dark. For your first action, simply describe how you smite your share of Eldritch Beings. This is not an action that will cost Divine Energy, or really have any impact mechanically- it's just a chance to flesh out your god and how they interact with the world. You cannot 'lose' this fight, as the outcome is predetermined.
After describing the righteous beatdown, you may in the same post (separated by a [hr]) describe your first action(s), or you can wait until everyone else has posted. Either way, chronologically your first real actions will all take place once all the Eldritch Beings have been smited. Smiten? Smoted? Whatever.

If you have any questions, you can ask them in the OOC thread, or on the General Bay12 Forum Games Discord (Note for those unfamiliar, there are, like, dozens of channels in there, the majority of which you are going to want to mute).

Spoiler: God Statuses (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 03:50:45 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Candles In The Dark (IC Thread)(Turn 0)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 03:43:19 am »

Ptw
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 07:01:21 am »

While he would prefer to tag team these Eldritch Beings, Saraab  sees that his fellow gods are going to be occupied with their own opponents. Without much fanfare, he reaches into the ground and causes roots to wrap around one of the foes, snaring them in place. Forming his arm into a sharp metal spike, he impales the EB, ending its reign of terror.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 07:11:32 am by Wozzy »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 02:55:19 pm »

Athalonus Looks upon the infestation of pests within his portion of the world, and with a glance sends forth destruction upon them...
First, Great Gears begin turning and twisting in the sky- Next Massive Tubes aimed for the Eldritch beasts- And From these Tubes Were shot Steam propelled Bullets, each in the shape of Athalonus's fist, Crushing the beasts and blasting them apart.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 01:43:45 am by crazyabe »
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 06:41:53 pm »

Anath looked out upon the world and saw that it was bad. Not the world itself, nor the life that sprung from it, but what was bad was that which threatened the world itself. And so it was, throughout the night side of the planet, horrible monsters walked into the shadows believing themselves the most terrible things upon this world. They would soon find themselves quite surprised to be wrong, as the shadows rose up from beneath them and opened maws far more horrible then they possessed. In the limited amount of time they had to be surprised before the shadows finished eating them, at least.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 09:02:35 pm »

Bastion sallied forth into the world, gladly observing its splendor. But lo! The innocent potentium of the fundament was sullied by beastly monsters and monstrous beasts, of forms most unbestowable by entities of the land!

It was only obvious that something must be done, of course. And so Bastion wielded their shield and deholstered their... scythe to do battle against the abominable abomination that had dared insult this plane with its uninvited and altogether rude presence!

And snicker-snack went the blade of the scythe, as the grand Bastion cut into the foul foreign fiend, and a great many dull "thok"s were heard, the cruel creature's attacks unable to pierce Bastion's utmost defenses!

The battle was exciting, most chivalrous, but quite one-sided. A poor showing for the challenger, all things considered. As Bastion scraped together the villain's oozeful remains for study, a thought occurred to them: this self-narration was altogether far too silly and thought-consuming. They were getting distracted. They probably shouldn't continue with that once things got truly important.

Spoiler: Note (click to show/hide)
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 04:14:27 am »

The enemy was not one of intellect, skill or grace. Merely an element, like Wood or Water. It sprung to reason of course, that such a foe should be dispatched by another element, to force it into compliance and a full rout.

Clutching at the primeval essences of the universe, as well as his own being, Ma Dong did force elemental reaction after elemental reaction after elemental reaction. Infused with his own mayne, he unleashed the temporal idea into creation; an army of divinely-infused thorium chariots, each manned by corresponding steeds and charioteers. Taking his rifle, Ma Dong did take aim at the eldritch mass, shooting true, rending and piercing the chaotic element with each shot. With that first flurry, did the chariots charge throughout the void, crashing and charging into the enemy.

At the end of the battle, the elemental beings did dissipate back into creation; an army discharged at campaign's end.

Of course, this was but the first skirmish in a long war, one that would require all of Lord Ma's cunning, strength and charges to win.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 02:57:57 pm »

Witnessing the Eldricht Powers cause havoc in this new world angered Go'sha. While she appreciates carnage in her own way, this indiscriminate and haphazard destruction could not go unpunished.

She sees a particular clumsy one, eating rocks of all things, and it doesn't notice her whatsoever. This thing isn't even worth her energy, but it needs to be dispatched none the less. She saunters up to it, and, transforming into pure godly energy, forces her way into its body. She rapidly expands, reforming into her physical form, and explodes it, sending Eldritch parts all over, which vaporize away.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 03:21:37 pm by Elvish Miner »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 12:26:41 am »

((Fallacy hasn't posted yet, but as mentioned, this 'fight' has no mechanical effect, so to keep things moving along I'll just put this up now, and Fallacy can include his beatdown description in his next post))

The Eldritch Beings, defeated, dissolved into nothingness, and so the world was saved. Had they been capable of awareness, the native life would've no doubt been grateful to the gods for their timely rescue- but as it was, life went on mostly unchanged. The Eldritch Threat recoiled slightly at the destruction of its extensions, giving the gods a moment of breathing room- time enough to work on the world without having to be constantly on the lookout for eldritch intrusions.

The world, as mentioned, was boring. However, it brimmed with potential. Beneath the crust, the mantle churned, and a little divine intervention could quite easily reshape the world (or sections of it). The climate was fairly bland, but pockets of unique weather suggested the possibility of a more interesting forecast. Life was dull now, but it had suffused the planet, and would require only the slightest of nudges to explode in complexity.

At this time, the world was dominated by a single landmass, covering about 30% of the surface, with a few volcanic islands here and there. Further afield, a small moon orbited the world, an uninspiring sphere of rock that nevertheless enlivened the night sky somewhat. Four other planets orbited the sun, though none were capable of supporting life, lacking in liquid water. The sun, as viewed from the surface of the world, was a nice yellow colour, suggesting a healthy star with a long life ahead of it.
None of these things were named, as of yet- and, of course, many of them could change dramatically in short order, should the gods desire.

As alluded to (and mention in the OOC thread OP), at the moment the Eldritch Threat is fairly weak- or rather, the protective influence of the sun prevents it from applying its full strength to the world. This will change, as the ET adapts to the situation, but for now, you're fairly safe. Actions with a cost of less than 7 Divine Energy will have no real consequences this turn. DE 7&8 will result in Eldritch Beings manifesting around the focal point of the action, which will need to be dealt with (you may include a Simple Action of manifesting to automatically attack them as they come into existence; or you can deal with them next turn. Or, you could not deal with them at all, and let someone else clean up your mess). DE 9 and above will attract the direct attention of the Eldritch Threat, which will lash out at the offending god(s)(you may pool resources into an action, in which case all contributing gods are considered the source of the action), with the strength of the attack scaling as more energy is invested.

So. Get started. Feel free to ask me, in the OOC thread or on Discord, about the cost/viability of hypothetical actions, or any other questions you may have.
Long Live United Forenia!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Candles In The Dark (IC Thread)(Turn 1)
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 12:49:20 am »

And so it is that Anath looks out unto the sky, and sees that the sky lacks stars. A thing which Anath is unwilling to let stand, for without stars, how shall fare the night? But with the lack of stars comes a chance for a beneficial manifestation. And thus the god of the night turns to his peers. "My fellow divinities. Would any of you be willing to work with me to establish a shield of stars around this world and this sun? A protective sphere of starlight and magic woven from and between our newly crafted stars, which will both anchor and power this shield? Would it not be a worthy cause to craft such a thing to suppress the great enemy's might and let only its weaker spawn wiggle through to trouble us? If several of us but contributed two or three units of power to this project, we could make a lasting defense for our world."
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 01:41:57 am »

This one suggests intertwining Fields of divine lights, the brightest of them holding as focal points around which the others would be bound in gears of Ethereal brass, turning and twisting, providing an ever changing field of defense around the world.  This one is willing to donate a total of Six should its Suggested shape for these defending stars be taken.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 01:43:56 am by crazyabe »
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 06:33:22 am »

"I approve of my fellow divines' wisdom in this matter; the defense of the realm is of top priority in my opinion. However, I find this form of defense reactive and passive, one that cannot respond to threats, only slow them. I suggest instead, a celestial army to proactively patrol Creation and combat the eldritch wherever it appears. I suggest the pooling together of resources to promote the first generation of such a force, and then draw upon the souls of the future dead as recruits."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 08:41:44 am »

Saraab watches the discussion with growing interest. Given the fact that they have beaten back the first invasion force means they have time. What's more, these weaker Eldritch beings seem trivial to take down, only requiring effort.

Fellow gods, you all make great suggestions, and I do believe that both are neccessary for the protection of this world. The barrier, to keep the larger Eldritch beings at bay, and the protectors, to fight off the immediate threats that we are too preoccupied to deal with, are the cornerstones of a long reign in this world. However, the Celestial Army seems excessive for the moment, especially since we do not have any mortals who can join its ranks in their afterlife. I suggest we instead create the starfield, in a way that allows us to bolster its strength by creating new stars, and create this divine army in the near future, when sapiens walk this planet. I will pledge my power to both causes, as long as we are willing to make this compromise.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2019, 11:15:50 am »

Defensive, you say? Of course! A wondrous shield, woven of reality itself! A great guard, impenetrable, of sky knights of night skies! I shall gladly lend my expertise and power in the pursuit of the safeguarding of these lands! Grand defensive crenellations in the constellations, guard towers throughout the heavenly walls!
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2019, 03:55:38 pm »

Ventura first took male form, in response to the encroaching of the Eldritch Threat, and the harshness of what needed to be done... then recoiled as he realized the Threat had already seeded the world. Work was to be done.

Whipping his hands up, he summoned vast crushing winds, and slammed the extensions of the Eldritch Threat against whatever was available. Mountains, hills, trees... when he was finished, only remnants remained.

Having finished with the local eldritch monstrosities, Ventura joined the conversation with the other gods, for it was definitely of the utmost importance.

"I would definitely be willing to venture power towards a barrier against the Eldritch Threat. However it seems unwise to put all our gemstones in one bracelet, so to speak. Would it be intelligent to create multiple layers of defensive barriers, using different mechanisms?"
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9