Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Candles In The Dark (IC Thread)(Turn 6)  (Read 6596 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Candles In The Dark (IC Thread)(Turn 3)
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2019, 12:03:15 pm »

"Perhaps I am feeling oversensitive on this subject after Ma Dong's persistence on it... but while I do not mind if someone uses them to make something interesting, I am not open to suggestions we just toss them back up into the sky."

"There's not that much of them, not enough if everyone decides to make their own constellation or two, and where they are now they could result in something interesting. So if everyone could please stop trying to just waste them it'd be nice. Stop being cheapskates and make your own stars."
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 12:12:53 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2019, 12:50:27 pm »

"Yes, you are definitely overly sensitive. No one has made mention of the stars on the outer planets, only the ones being held by the dragons have ever been discussed. And even if it was discussed, Ma Dong did nothing to help. Do not," she emphasises the 'not' with a poke to Anath's chest, "forget who helped you make the wall guarding this world, and do not forget who fought back the incoming horde for you. If you dare brush me off like an insect again, I will make you my enemy, and you do not want me as your enemy."

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2019, 01:00:06 pm »

Ignorant of - or uncaring toward - all the divine conflicts occurring probably a few feet and also probably a few planes of reality away, Bastion ponders something.

...I forgot to tell the bescaled about me! That just won't do...

Kamoan! Do you mind if I smite one of the dragons who've killed some metalscales to show the bescaled of myself? I promise, it'll only be one! Well, maybe a few, if the bescaled are too spread out for just one to work. But they'll be a very small number compared to the number of dragons! And none of the important ones! I think.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2019, 01:40:02 pm »

Indeed I mind. There are much better ways to introduce yourself, ones with less murder and perhaps even something to gain.

I have been considering one of my favorites, the world's first smith. They are a clever one, and I believe they would be open to leading a group of bescaled. Perhaps an meeting of dragon and bescaled, moderated by Gods, would be a more powerful introduction. 

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2019, 01:58:57 pm »

Indeed I mind. There are much better ways to introduce yourself, ones with less murder and perhaps even something to gain.

I have been considering one of my favorites, the world's first smith. They are a clever one, and I believe they would be open to leading a group of bescaled. Perhaps an meeting of dragon and bescaled, moderated by Gods, would be a more powerful introduction. 

Ah. Hmn.
Hmmmmmnnnnnnn.

Yes, that seems good. How soon do you think we can do it?

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2019, 04:10:52 pm »

Saraab looks at the world, and sees potential in the Red-Prairie Antelope. It seems they have a little divine energy left over in them that has yet to be tapped. Perhaps this can be manipulated to increase the biodiversity slightly....

He first finds some herds that seem to be suffering due to overcrowding from other herds. For these, he modifies their biology while flipping their switch from prey into predator, turning them into carnivores. These he names Crottathal.

He then takes the largest antelope from each herd and makes them big enough to eat the leaves of the trees. They have impressive gold manes, a scarlett throat pouch, and are beefier, stockier. This new species, named the Red-Bellow Belua acts as the protector of the herd.

Next, he makes a small change to the herds nearest the three non-dragon mortals. They are slightly tougher, better suited for towing and carrying weight, and their horns are shorter, much less dangerous. They are very susceptable to sapient-induced selection, allowing each of the races to breed them for whatever purpose they desire, and are calm when spoken to. These he gives the family name Domestic Antelope.

In all, he spends 4 energy.

Spoiler: Red-bellow Belua (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Crottathal (click to show/hide)

Saraab then looks at the sapiens and smiles. Soon they will be building great empires and trading amongst themselves, but first, they need great innovated individuals to provide new, revolutionary ideas.

Spend 1 energy to give a handful of the most charismatic individuals from each of the three small sapiens the gift of hightened ingenuity. They will be able to identify problems others cannot see, and come up with ingenious solutions to them. To help them get started, Saraab inserts himself into their dreams.

Spoiler: Dreams (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 06:08:18 am by Wozzy »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2019, 06:35:33 pm »

Kamoan appeared before the lead and ruby dragon, an ethereal visage of himself, his golden form casting an aura of opulence across the dragon and it's hoard. Well aren't you a curious one. Your actions have drawn my eye. You have created something from nothing. You are the first Dragon Smith. And thus I gift you the name Confubrum, the First Smith. Such ingenuity deserves a reward. In the near future, a group of bescaled will come to you. Take leadership of them, have them assist you in building your hoard, and become their king. If you are successful in this, I will grant you a great treasure. You may even find the small ones valuable in their own right. Kamoan then disappears.[/i] (That was supposed to say waits for an answer before disappearing, whoops

Looking around the world Kamoan finds the group of bescaled Bastion is sending to Confubrum. He approaches, sitting leasurely upon a floating pile of gold. My my, don't you remind me of my own children, the dragons. Bastion always did have an eye for beauty. Though something is missing. You have courage, for you're going to see a dragon. You have wisdom, as your god gave you. And you have potential... I shall draw it out so you may see it as well.
Kamon transforms this group of bescaled into lead scales with a hint of red so that they more closely resemble Confubrum (2DE). The blessing of Kamoan is upon you. Do not waste this gift, it is the only free thing this world has to offer.

Lastly before Kamoan rested, he reached out once more to the mortals of this world to bestow his gifts upon them with a vision, one more powerful than those before, backed by his divine essence. Mortals, I am the God Kamoan, Keeper of the Divine Wealth, and Benefactor of Commerce and Knowledge. In my hands I hold the material and immaterial, and all which has value, real or imagined. I come to greet you, and introduce myself. And also to grant a gift. Kamoan spends 2DE to impart the knowledge of boiling water and sanitation to all mortals in the world.My gift of knowledge, a taste of what is to come. A small nudge towards enlightenment, for those eager to follow the path. Be well and wary mortals, may our paths cross again.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 02:55:33 am by Roboson »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2019, 10:49:21 pm »

Sometime before Kamoan goes looking for Bastion's group...

Bastion was not entirely certain what he was doing. This was less a matter of the desired action itself and more a symptom of being Bastion, but he digresses. There were Bescaled to get.

And so it was that a group of Bescaled, moderately close to the newly-named Confubrum, encountered a very odd sight indeed. Specifically, what appeared almost like a steel Metalscale, except much smoother, and also their face was exuding pollen or something, and they were on a gazelle, and they had some exceptionally odd equipment. Specifically, what looked like half a strange rock pillar and a very shiny and noticeably curved piece of metal.
Hail! Hail! I am Bastion! I should have really introduced myself a while ago, but I can explain that on the way! Kamoan and I came up with an idea, we're going to make the dragons thing work better for you! Come on everybody, this way, we have a meeting to make post-haste!

Bewildered, the Bescaled couldn't really think of what to do other than go along. The... entity was going in the same direction they'd already been going.

Tally ho!

Bastion tried his best to explain to the poor bastards what he actually was and his relation to them on the way to the meeting. His success is... indeterminate, at the moment.

[Note: 1 DE used to make sure this actually happens.]

[Final note: Bastion will be making sure that the meeting remains civil and does not devolve into his Bescaled being killed for their newly-lead scales.]
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:38:23 am by Glass »

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2019, 09:17:45 am »

Go'sha wraps herself in her cloak, and with a burning red flash, is gone. She reappears on a distant planet. Cold and barren, a place not meant for life. Outstretching her palm she feels the presence of the fallen stars, and pulls them towards her, collecting 5. They are quite beautiful, but boring. These five need to be extra special for what she wishes to use them for. She wraps herself in her cloak again, and appears in the star field.
Pouring her own aspect into the stars, Go'sha infuses them with destructive power. They begin to glow brighter, and change from their yellow-white color into a bright red. As the heat begins to get unbearable, she tosses them amongst the barrier wall, blending them into a constellation that mortals will interpret in their own ways: a bird, a dragon, or whatever.
As she returns to the night side of the home planet, she feels the red starlight radiate upon the planet. With this, she grants mortals a gift: the gift of magic.

Go'sha spends 6DE to create the Lore of Destruction. All mortal sapiens will have the ability to learn this magic, but only those who awaken it can begin their training. Those born under her astrological sign have increased comprehension of it.
The Lore of Destruction is fueled by fear, driven by the desire for safety and security. If a mortal, or the ones they care for, are in grave danger, this power might manifest itself within them. The chance of this varies from incredibly unlikely, to almost guaranteed if they were born under her sign and are under it at the time.
The Lore of Destruction manifests itself in many ways, from streams of fire, to bolts of lightning, and even the ability to manipulate the very force of life. Whatever the manifestation, the driving force behind it is always the same: destroy those who wish to destroy you.*
All awakened beings have a weak ability to wield the Lore of Destruction using their own lifeforce, but only those who devote themselves to Go'sha can draw on the powers of her stars themselves.* Their power is much greater, especially when they are basking in their starlight.

*There are ways around this, as with all things

Her ED exhausted, Go'sha resorts to appearing in the dreams of those who manage to awaken this power in the coming years, hoping to console and explain to those mortals why the predator that was bearing down on them suddenly burst into flames. She also continues to speak to those who hold her orbs.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2019, 03:12:06 pm »

Turn 3: A modicum of worship

Ventura, not content with the endless tempest surrounding Stormheight, siphoned off a portion of aforementioned squall, and infused it with vast quantities of divine energy, until a vortex of towering thunderclouds was in his hands. This he unleashed upon the world, to travel the world freely, scarring the land- but especially potential Eldritch invaders- with bolts of magically-charged lightning.

This Neverending Storm would further disrupt the weather systems of the world- more so than Stormheight, given its free-roaming nature. Whilst its magical power gave it the ability to travel against the wind, it did tend to prefer travelling around mountains rather than over them, and though technically not necessary, it would regularly travel over the seas, as if to 'recharge' with fresh rain. Thus, not all regions were equally often graced by the Neverending Storm's presence- drier areas could still go several years with little to no rainfall-, but eventually its travels would take it to every corner of the world, ending any semblance of 'predictable' weather whenever it drew near.

Born from the Storm and Ventura's will, the Trader of the Winds found itself thrust into the world, with not a penny to its name. At the advice of Ventura, it travelled to the foothills of Stormheight, where it gathered shards of Windstone, then made its way to lands inhabited by Star Elves.
As a great gust of wind blew past the mouth of the cave, there appeared a figure where there had been none before. Wary eyes looked it over, but concluded that the spindly wooden being was of little threat. The leader of the tribe approached the figure, speaking in their primitive language. The Trader, though unfamiliar with the language (or any language, for that matter), was possessed of an unnatural ability to barter, which allowed it to comprehend the gist of the elf's message; a greeting, a query as to its nature, and an offer to share in some food.
The Trader sat with the Elves for a time, during which it managed to pick up enough of the Elves' tongue to convey its desires, offering to give the Elves Windstone crafts in exchange for the Elves' own works. As the Windstone blades were indeed sharper than anything the Elves had seen before, they readily accepted the trade, and the Trader's explanation of where to find more, although it was unable to properly convey how best to work the material.
Nevertheless, the Elves made their way to Stormheight, where they gazed in awe upon its lightning-shrouded summit, and eagerly gathered the fragments of blue stone that had tumbled down its steep slopes. It was not a place where the Star Elves would stay for long, as the constant storm made it rather unpleasant, and the lack of trees or caves for shelter did not improve matters.

The Neverending Storm is created.
The Trader of Winds is created, an unageing (but not immortal) entity tasked by Ventura to roam the world and trade with all beings.
The Trader of Winds introduces the Star Elves to Windstone, which leads to the Elves making journeys to Stormheight to gather the material.

A trio of gods cooperate in the creation of Tunnel Wurms- Anath, Bastion, and Kamoan pool their resources into the creation of colossal beasts that burrow through the earth, leaving twisting passages in their wake. Deep beneath the surface, they consume the mineral wealth of the world, turning it into a barrier between themselves and the rock- one which they shed from time to time, leaving behind treasure troves of metal ores and uncut gems. As the process of shedding leaves them temporarily weakened, they tend to do this in a chamber excavated beneath the ground, where they can recover without rock pressing down upon them. The younger specimens dig shallower tunnels, though Wurms of all ages will surface occasionally to consume a few trees, a few fields of grass, and any animals unlucky enough to cross their path.

Tunnel Wurms are created.

Perhaps operating in slightly the wrong order, Ma Dong introduces a variety of life to the seas, commonly referred to as 'Fish'. A diverse group of species, Fish can be found in many shapes and sizes, in waters both salty and fresh, feeding on each other, microscopic life, and those plants as that have adapted to shallow water. So far, so normal. But as with his last aquatic action, Ma Dong's creation is anything but ordinary; once they have completed their life cycle and produced offspring, Fish engage in a bizarre ritual, wherein they bite other members of their species, fusing together into a large ball of dead fish. These corpseballs then drift about, coming to rest on the shore, the surface, or the sea floor (depending on the species of origin), where a secondary reproductive system within the Fish activates, bony eggs within each individual corpse 'hatching', the lifeforms within then joining together into a gestalt mass that feeds on the corpseball, before turning into an unusual plant-animal hybrid. Depending on the species, the sedentary Fish, or 'Polyps' develop into any combination of roots, branches, photosynthetic leaves, predatory fronds, and whatever else it needs to survive in its new home.
The Polyps produce fruit-eggs that will hatch into (relatively ordinary) Fish when submerged in water. They also produce useful materials that could be harvested by those with the necessary knowledge.
The reason for this insane life cycle is known only to the inscrutable Ma Dong. Were the mortal races advanced enough to have scientists who studied such things, they would be baffled.
Regardless, Fish are quite successful in spreading throughout the waters of the world, which soon teem with life, finally turning the world into a mostly functional ecosystem.

Fish are created.

Ma Dong follows this up with a message to the Carp's tribal leaders. The message is not perfectly transmitted, but what was understood was the general sense of a being known as either Ma Dong or Baba (a topic on which different Carp groups disagree) who was responsible for the birth of Carp, and who commanded the Carp to... do various things. Filial loyalty was generally agreed to be important, but there was disagreement as to whether they had been commanded to accept or reject outsiders, and the concept of art being foreign to them made the final commandment a source of great confusion. The request to keep Ma Dong in mind was passed around, and he becomes the latest god to acquire a modicum of Belief, slightly enhancing his strength.

A few Carp communities are further graced by a manifestation of Ma Dong, who attempts to demonstrate the principles of domestication to them. Though the Carp are attentive, and Ma Dong himself has no trouble breaking Antelope to his will, the Carp struggle to replicate the feat; their vile aspect disturbs the beasts, and even with the aid of Jinli-controlled Antelope, they are unable to tame any. Ma Dong is forced to abandon the attempt. However, the story of Ma Dong's appearance and his ability to tame Antelope is passed from Carp to Carp, and whilst the actual technique eludes them, the concept of domestic animals is vaguely understood.

Ma Dong gains 1 strength from the (unfocused, primitive, paltry) worship of the Carp.
Ma Dong attempts to teach Carp to domesticate Antelope, but only succeeds in spreading the idea of the possibility.

Saraab, seeing a lack of diversity in the animal kingdom, decides to diversify the Red-Prarie Antelope. The Crottathal offer a non-sapient solution to overpopulation- predators who somewhat resemble the Antelope, but with slightly more powerful muscles and sharp-toothed maws. Their manic 'laughter' is enough to send Antelope running; unfortunately this is often to their detriment, as the Crottathal operate in packs, with one group scaring the Antelope into running straight into an ambush by another group.
The Red-Bellow Belua is a much larger variation, with an impressive red throat pouch that they can swell up to intimidate foes (or attract mates), and a deafening bellow that is loud enough to stun predators- and, perhaps more importantly, attract mates from several miles away, as the Red-Bellow Belua does not travel in herds, but rather each individual follows a herd of regular Antelope.
Finally, Saraab makes a variety of Antelope who outwardly possess only superficial differences- shorter horns, slightly bulkier frames-, but more importantly are mentally far more amenable to domestication.

Not content with the rate of progress amongst mortals, Saraab blesses three individuals with heightened ingenuity; one from each of the smaller sapient races. The individuals thus blessed awake with a heightened sense of curiosity, and an uncanny ability to see solutions to problems that others cannot. How they will use these abilities remains to be seen; it is out of the gods' hands. The blessing will be passed on to their eldest child at their time of death.
Saraab follows this up with a series of dreams, attempting to convey innovations to the newly blessed mortals. This has the effect of stimulating the imaginations of the recipients, but does not result in the featured innovations being realised.

Crottathal, Red-Bellow Belua and Domestic Antelope are created.
A Star Elf, Carp, and Bescaled each receive a blessing of ingenuity.

The first to make good use of their gift is the Carp, who notices that some Antelope have become less skittish. Following the steps outlined in the story of Ma Dong taming the Antelope, the canny Carp manages to wrangle a few of the Domesticated Antelope, and establish a herd.

Some Carp manage to tame the Domesticated Antelope.

Kamoan and Bastion, seeking harmony between their creations, organise a meeting between a group of Bescaled and a dragon. Kamoan greets the dragon in question, the lead-ruby 'inventor' of smelting, and grants him the name Confubrum. He tasks Confubrum with leading the Bescaled who will approach him, in exchange for a divine gift. Whilst the dragon is somewhat confused, the promise of a great reward is enough to pique its interest.
Meanwhile, Bastion introduces himself to the prospective vassals, explaining who he was and what he wanted as best he could.
As the Bescaled, led by Bastion, approached the mountain home of Confubrum, Kamoan approaches them as well, and grants their scales a similar aspect to Confubrum's own. In addition to the visual change, this also empowers the entire group, enhancing their magical potential.

Confubrum comes to meet the Bescaled, rather than let them get too close to his lair. With a thunderous roar, he swoops from the skies, passing over the awe-struck lizards, before coming to rest on an outcropping, where he further demonstrates his strength by releasing a gout of flame into the sky. However, whilst they are impressed, the Bescaled are unbowed- they have the protection of two gods, and though they do not entirely understand what this entails, they are filled with confidence. Confubrum, although somewhat disappointed in the reaction of the Bescaled, does not lower himself to an ego-battle with a bunch of tiny lizards. Rather, with some assistance on the part of the two gods, the two sides make a concerted effort to negotiate an agreement. Conveniently, the Bescaled can understand Confubrum and vice-versa thanks to the changes Kamoan made, but the more problematic issue is simply that neither side is entirely sure what they are trying to achieve.
After some time, a plan is hammered out. The Bescaled will be allowed to live in Confubrum's territory, under his protection. In exchange, they will help him gather ores as best they can. It isn't much, but it's a start.

The lead-ruby dragon is named Confubrum.
Bastion and Kamoan organise an alliance (of sorts) between a group of Bescaled and Confubrum. The Bescaled are granted scales with a similar crimson/grey aspect to Confubrum's, which amongst other things increases their magical potential and lets them communicate with Confubrum.

Kamoan sends out an empowered vision to all the mortal races of the world, in which he outlines two things: his existence, and the basics of water sanitation. The knowledge is successfully transferred, although the necessary equipment to follow through is not always available; most people have no choice but to drink untreated river water, lacking in the necessary implements to boil or transport water. Nevertheless, the rate at which Jinli integrate the mortal races decreases noticeably.
The other part of the message is also received, and a vague awareness of Kamoan's existence becomes widespread. Though the Belief is (except in the case of the Dragons) extremely unfocused, the sheer number of 'believers' is enough to further raise Kamoan's strength.

Knowledge of basic water sanitation becomes widespread. This reduces the rate at which Jinli integrate mortals.
Kamoan gains 1 strength from the (extremely weak) Belief of all the world's mortals.

Go'sha, seeking a constellation all her own, retrieves five Fallen Stars from an uninhabited planet, infuses them with her energy to restore them to their full glory, then inserts them into the Wall of Stars. The bright red orbs stand out amongst their paler brethren, forming an indeterminate shape, open to interpretation.
However, this is no decorative feature. The Constellation of Destruction pulses with magical energy, and by Go'sha's will, this energy is made available to the mortals of the world, unlocked by fear and genuine danger. Those born under the Constellation are more open to unlocking its powers, although others may also awaken to them, just less frequently.
Those who are awakened may wield the Lore of Destruction, a comprehensive and varied lore which can do whatever you want, provided you want to destroy things. The newly awakened will most commonly invoke fire upon their assailant, but many other destructive forces are available, up to and including raw Destruction. To tap directly into the stars themselves requires devotion to Go'sha- at least, the stars resist attempts to draw on their power from non-believers (a hypothetically subvertable restriction).

Those who awaken to the Lore of Destruction will find their next dream graced by Go'Sha's voice, explaining the nature of their newfound power, and the requirement of worship. Similarly, those who wield the Blood Rubies are beset by dreams of the destructive damsel, reminding them to whom they owe their gift. Though their belief remains somewhat primitve, the majority of the awakened keep Go'Sha in their thoughts, as do the holders of the Blood Rubies. This proves sufficient to strengthen Go'Sha somewhat.

The Constellation of Destruction and the Lore of Destruction are created.
Go'Sha gains 1 strength from the (primitive & paltry) worship of those who are awakened to the Lore of Destruction or hold her Blood Rubies.

Travelling to Stormheight becomes a common practice amongst those Star Elves living within range of the great mountain. They come to gather Windstone, but increasingly also to marvel at the mountain itself. Some even try climbing it, to predictable failure. Knowing as they do of several divine beings already, some surmise that some similar entity might be responsible for Stormheight. In deference to the great mountain, they leave small sculptures in a cave nearby, with more added over time. This minor act of worship provides Ventura with a modicum of Belief.

Elsewhere, the Star Elf innovator takes on the problem of water sanitation, but is unsuccessful in her quest to find a practical solution.

Some Star Elves engage in very rudimentary worship of Ventura- not enough to noticeably increase their strength, however.

Domestication spreads amongst the Carp, and in combination with the sudden appearance of Fish, this allows them to spread much more rapidly- although still confined to shores and rivers, of course.

Some also undertake the harvesting of Polyps, for the edible fruit-eggs, as well as the useful branches and fibres.

The Bescaled find themselves benefiting from the actions of the Tunnel Wurms, as they explore the shallower of the resultant caves. Where Carp are bound to the shores, and Star Elves prefer not to go too far underground (and thus away from the sky), the Bescaled have no compunctions about delving beneath the earth. Though there is not much down there for them, some stumble across Wurm sheddings, which has some aesthetic value, at least.
It also, as it turns out, has some more practical value, for two distinct groups:
Confubrum's 'vassals' bring their draconic 'master' a sampling of the wealth of the depths, which pleases the dragon greatly. Their alliance is strengthened now that they have demonstrated their ability to generate wealth. Confubrum is so pleased, in fact, that he deigns to grant the Bescaled a token of appreciation, in the form of a few lead discs. Not that the Bescaled have any use for such things, but it's the thought that counts.
Another, separate group of Bescaled encounter the Trader of Winds, who is interested in the bounty they have discovered in the twisting deep. In exchange for a sizeable quantity of ores and gems, the Trader teaches them the ways of crafting- knowledge which soon spreads throughout the Bescaled population, making their lives considerably easier.
It also spreads to Confubrum's vassals, who soon discover that their newfound skills may also be applied to metal. Confubrum is once again delighted when his minions show off their ability to turn the crude lead discs into slightly less crude lead ornaments. Working together, with the dragon smelting ores and the Bescaled working the resultant metal, they are able to produce a variety of useful objects, which are shared between the two- Confubrum getting such things as primitive lead 'statues' of dragons, whilst the Bescaled get primitive metal tools.
The success of their arrangement leads to gratitude amongst both parties towards the gods responsible. Whilst Kamoan barely notices the extra belief, Bastion finds himself slightly invigorated by the trickle of thanks coming his way.

This arrangement is, in time, noticed by other dragons, although attempts to replicate it do not go so well- attempts to negotiate with the Bescaled fall afoul of a lack of shared language, and a general fear of dragons amongst the Bescaled. However, some dragons manage to exchange a Kent to learn some of the Bescaled's primitive language- enough to organise 'trades' with the Bescaled, in which the dragon provides small amounts of smelted metal, in exchange for the wealth the Bescaled discover in Wurm tunnels. Full 'alliances' like Confumbrum has do not form yet, but the purely predatory relationship dragons had towards Bescaled is modified into one where limited exchange takes place. 

Bescaled explore Wurm tunnels.
The Bescaled learn basic crafting from the Trader of Winds.
Confubrum's vassals provide Confubrum with Wurm-sheddings, and learn rudimentary metalworking. Bastion receives a small amount of worship- not enough to noticeably increase his strength, however.
Some dragons trade metal for Wurm-sheddings with the Bescaled.

Once again, there are no incursions on the part of the Eldritch Threat.

Was going to write more stuff, but decided to just get the turn out. The important things are covered, I think?
PS, if you want consistency in tenses... look elsewhere. I wrote this in pieces, and I tend to be either inspired to write in past tense or present tense, and can't be bothered to force myself to stick to one. If you didn't notice it until I pointed it out, then, uh, whoops. 

Edit: It occurred to me that a dragon could exchange a Kent to learn some of the Bescaled's language. As such, the relationship between the two has been changed slightly.
 By the way, if you think I may have missed a mortal action, feel free to ask about it, and I might make a change. Also, I am obviously not covering everything that happens in the world- you may invent minor events not described above to lend context to your actions. You can check with me if you want a more substantial event to take place- I might say no, but it's worth a shot.

Anyway, links: OOC thread, Discord.

Spoiler: God Statuses (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 08:45:51 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Candles In The Dark (IC Thread)(Turn 4)
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2019, 05:21:19 pm »

Ventura decided that the Star Elves who made their offerings to him needed a much better place to leave their offerings. No mere cave would do the job. Taking his comparatively meager reserve of Divine Energy, he pushed it into the cave and willed it to shape the cave into something more.

The Divine Energy transmuted the cave's energy into a well smoothed Windstone, and reshaped the cave from a mere cave to a temple. A small one, but great in majesty. A staircase led down from the entrance to the cave to the temple proper. The temple's roof was bespelled to reveal the night sky above it, and the entrance was bespelled to make the fearsome beasts called dragons not pay attention to the entrance. Intricate murals of Ventura's male and female sides were carved into the walls, showing the Trader of the Winds, the Neverending Storm, and Stormheight as his creations.

Ventura spends 3 DE to create the Hidden Wind Temple, replacing the cave where the Star Elves left offerings to him with it. The Hidden Wind Temple has an entrance on the surface with a mild perception-diverting field meant to hide it from dragons. A staircase leads down into the temple proper, where intricate murals of Ventura and his creations are visible, as well as a roof enchanted to show the sky above it. Aside from the entrance, the temple is not visible from the surface.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2019, 03:54:17 pm »

Ma Dong spends 6DE to create a personal plane separated from the physical one. He calls it Misthall. It is a small existence consisting of a temperate hilly land, broken apart only by streams and rivers. At the top of the plane's highest mountain is a monastery where Ma Dong himself dwells, along with several minor spirits of organisation. At its centre is a grand tower composed of glass, solid mercury and jade. At its very zenith is a gargantuan gong tended to by eight sibling ghostly giants.   This plane is accessible to the souls of the worldly dead. Indeed, there is a weak lure for the souls of the dead to journey to Misthall; the sound of a great gong being struck. Ghostly pheromones leak from the realm, attracting spirits of animals there, as well as similar life.

Mortal souls that enter Misthall are greeted by a jovial bureaucrat who instruct them that this is the realm of the god Ma Dong and that whilst the god will offer their eternal soul succour and rest, they must abide by the laws of civility whilst here. They shall not harm another resident nor cause one to be harmed. The breaking of these laws will result in immediate dejection. Should the visiting soul not wish to reside in this afterlife, they are by all means, allowed to leave.

Should the afterlife be full, Misthall's gong will no longer ring, nor shall its pheromones be released. 

Simple Action:/b] Ma Dong manifests in a carp settlement and attempts to teach the locals how to create basic axes and shovels, and tellling them how the former can be used to cut at plants, while the latter can be used to dig away at dirt. The former is useful to for the creation of fire and goods, while the latter can be used to expand ponds or for creating new waterways.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 05:50:14 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2019, 03:28:29 pm »

Saraab decides to pay the Star Elves in the forest a visit. He spends 1 energy to take on a less threatening appearance and to improve his ability to communicate with them. While there, he listens to their stories and discusses how group activities such as singing, learning, and deep discussions are important for building strong communities. After building enough of a rapport, he shows them the basics of fermentation and how to make cider out of the fruit.

Spend 1 energy to communicate better with the Star Elves. Use simple actions to interact with them and teach them about brewing and community building.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2019, 05:07:19 pm »

Anath once more descends to visit his creation with gifts of knowledge and skill. A new magical art has been forged by his will, and so have invisible rivers of mystical power that now flow through the earth, the surface and caves and tunnels alike. This new magical art, the art of magical architecture, or Land Magic as Anath calls it when teaching it, is the art of, in short, magical buildings. To build is to cast in this art, which is both its power and its weakness. Because it's kind of hard to build a building in the middle of a fight, but by the same time, a city sized labyrinth that traps all outsiders whom invade in an inescapable maze of tunnels, all alike, but let's the actual citizens treat it like a normal city is a very useful thing to have built before the invaders arrive. For in Land Magic, the land is the magic, and with properly designed, scaled, and furnished structures of stone, wood, bone, and metal the land can be shaped to cause useful effects. Whether through taping into leylines, filtering the light of the moon and stars, or refining the light of the constellations, Land Magic serves to use the power innate to the world to cause useful end results.

And however expensive, in materials and labor alike, it can be to craft a city or island or normal building sized magical item, the ability of a building sized magic item is not to be scoffed at.

And so it is that Anath visits the Star Elves and teaches them this art, showing them how to use to build useful structures for their tribes. Usually by guiding them through building a temple to him, granted, but a temple that can do some sort of locally useful magical effect, from one that condenses the moonlight into crystal to a henge that serves as a powerful amplifier for divining the stars to a lighthouse that channels the light of the Constellation of Destruction into anti-dragon beamy death beams to a dam and a lock upon a river to control its flow and filter out any carp larva that try to pass.

And unto these most loyal Star Elves that Anath taught these arts, Anath pronounces them his first priests, whom are to represent his will and power to his children, the Star Elves, and any later creations he should make, whom have the duty to guide and protect. And to these priests, already trained in land magic, Anath bestows but the smallest part of his own might to allow for direct clerical invocation, when needed. Such as when some poor soul gets infested by the carp and need to be healed of that plague.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 09:27:10 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 03, 2019, 11:47:26 am »

Once more, Go'sha decides to visit the dragons. This time, the one named Confubrum is of interest to her. She enters his lair, speaking softly, in hopes he recognizes her voice.

"You have done well for yourself, child of Kamoan. The Bescaled are a great boon to your power, I am proud of you. Though their magic may be great, they must be stronger to help protect you and your treasure. Come, I shall show you how to arm them."

Go'sha heads over to Confubrum's forge, and gifts him with an improved kiln, 5 cast moldings: a shield, a pair of blades, two halves of a breast plate, and one with multiple spearheads. She teaches him how to select dull metals and melt them together for a strong alloy, before pouring it into the molds. While the castings may be slightly rough and missing handles or tie-ups, it won't be anything the Bescales can't eventually figure out themselves with their knowledge of primitive tools.
A personalized feature of the molds is that the castings come out with a sigile designed by Confubrum, as a reminder of who the gift is from.

Go'sha spends 3DE and her actions improving Confubrum's forge with a kiln, while teaching him how to reproduce it, and granting him molds to make shields, swords, breastplates, and spearheads, as well as the knowledge of how to use them. With any excess energy, she gives him a better understanding of which ores work best, as well as other ways to improve his forging processes.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 10:18:52 am by Elvish Miner »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9