Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Candles In The Dark (IC Thread)(Turn 6)  (Read 6521 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Candles In The Dark (IC Thread)(Turn 2)
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2019, 02:10:49 am »

"Of course. That was never the problem in my opinion. The problem is allowing ourselves a weakness by allowing mortal factors to influence the shards. Thii for example, that one of the star bearers would turn to the Chaotic in order to increase their power. If the Eldritch were to find this individual and supply them, then the bearer may be yet tempted to subvert or break the barrier of our brothers and sisters' creation. The shard may yet allow them a way to study the workings of the celestial breastworks and in time, overcome it. That is what I fear."

(EDIT in order to avoid the dreaded double post)

Ma Dong crafts and weaves, disassembling a few bullets from his ammopack and interlacing them with his own essence. From these, Ma Dong created carp.

6DE: Create Carp throughout the world's water bodies.

Spoiler: 鲤鱼 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:30:04 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2019, 06:28:17 pm »

Kamoan smiled down at his dragons. Some had grown large and ancient, seeing the world unfold around them. Others knew of struggle, of hardship, and of pain, scratching tooth and nail to pull themselves from the drudges. He watched his children, proud of each one. It was time to introduce himself.

Kamoan sent a vision to all of the dragons. It begins with Kamoan, who appears as a golden dragon beautiful and ornate. He looks to the heavens and lets out a divine roar. His scales fall off, turning to golden coins as the fall onto his immense treasure hoard, revealing his taken form. He then is shown travelling to the volcano, killing the eldritch threat with ease, as he did in the last age. And finally, it depicts the birth of the dragons, born from his blood and his hoard.  He looks at the beholder of the vision and speaks thus, “I am the God Kamoan, the Golden Lord and Keeper of the Divine Hoard. My blood, given unto you, rushes through your veins. My scales, given unto you, strengthen your own. My power, given unto you, stokes the fires of your body and soul. I am the Father of your forefathers, and you my children, are the greatest treasure among all which constitutes my heavenly hoard. Each of you fills me with a pride. And it is because of this, I grant you two boons. The first is to know your origin, to walk this land knowing you are the first creations of power within these lands, born directly from a god to inherit this world. Be proud my children, for you are the first mortals to walk this earth, and you are mighty.

And thus, onto you, as my children, I grant a divine gift. The Golden Kents that you have discovered are enchanted, filled with my power. I give them freely, though finding them is a task I can hardly assist you with. With a short prayer, you may invoke my name and power to exchange these magical coins for weath, objects, or knowledge. The three base treasures of this world. Use this gift wisely my children, for my kin have taken note of you.

A mountain surrounded by storms has been raised to challenge you. A beautiful gem laying in wait for a worthy claimant. Rubies which crackle like fire have been scattered across the lands. Fish of an insidious nature swim in the water. Be wary my children, the world grows stranger, use my gift and your wits and you will rise above
"

Kamoan sends the above vision to the dragons, outlining how to invoke his power through prayer.

Kamoan uses 4DE to enchant the Kamoanian Kents. They can be exchanged for wealth, objects, or Kamoan's wisdom. Physical wealth and/or magical power can be used to fuel the part of this ritual that is not covered by Kamoan's own power.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 12:58:49 am by Roboson »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2019, 10:40:41 pm »

Bastion comes running out of nowhere, having been absent for a while, with a manic expression on their... water, it seemed, at the moment. Aside from his shield and, ah, blowgun, he had a massive scroll hoisted above his head.

I have invented mortals!

Then he looked around and realized that everyone had already gotten on that while he was working.

...I have invented more mortals!

He then proceeded to lay out his scroll - a blueprint, it appeared - on an ethereal table that had just materialized.

Bastion spends 6 DE on the creation of the Bescaled.
Spoiler: The blueprints show... (click to show/hide)
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2019, 10:07:07 am »

Turn 2: An embarrassment of Mortals

With the Wall of Stars in place, the gods felt confident in turning their attention towards the world in full. A world that could really use a name, incidentally.

Go'Sha, seeing potential in the dragons' destructive nature, fabricated gifts to augment their powers- crystallised droplets of her own blood. Appearing before the weakest amongst them, she made a tantalising offer of strength- which just so happened to come attached to a valuable gemstone. It was an offer the dragons had no reason to refuse- although somewhat suspicious, mysterious forces granting wealth unto them was not an entirely new phenomenon.
Merely holding a Blood Ruby was enough to enhance the destructive potential of a dragon's breath, but more importantly, they added flair to paltry hoards, in time turning the scales of their owners a ruddy crimson, harder than those of mud-dragons (but not to the extent of the star-dragons), and more resistant to flame and heat. The cannier amongst the ruby dragons moved their hoards into volcanic caldera, where the heat kept other dragons at bay. The less canny were forced to defend themselves against their fellows, and several times rubies changed hands, seized by dragons whose ownership of a Kent or two gave them the strength needed to face the ruby dragons in battle.
Those who received the gifts initially were naturally grateful, keeping a place in their mind for the strange entity that gave it to them. A trickle of belief came Go'Sha's way, though not enough to meaningfully strengthen her.

The 20 Blood Rubies are created, and granted to weak dragons.
Go'Sha gains a tiny amount of worship from the dragons.

Sedate breezes caressed the world, but this would not last. Making his mark in wind and rock, Ventura split the earth and raised up the great mountain of Stormheight, towering above the other mountains of the world. The zephyric energy contained within its Windstone slopes whipped up the surrounding atmosphere into a violent tempest, drawing in clouds to wreath the peak in an endless storm. At the very summit, Ventura condensed the power into an imposing gemstone, whose sapphire facets seemed to reveal lightning dancing within. The Gem of Storms was tied to its creator, potentially allowing mortals to communicate directly with Ventura.
Of course, it would be no trivial task for anyone to acquire this prize. The raging winds precluded any flight near the mountain, and to climb to the summit on foot would require one to brave treacherous slopes, where razor-sharp shards of Windstone threatened to slice the feet of the unwary, and pent-up winds awaited the tread of a careless visitor to shake them loose from their rocky prison.

Meanwhile, the permanent vortex surrounding Stormheight had consequences beyond the immediate region. The atmospheric eddies rippled around the world, shaking up formerly stable climate. Some areas were stricken by drought, causing what little plantlife there was to die off; other areas were hit by torrential rains, causing formerly suppressed plants to thrive, whilst Wildfire grass struggled in the sodden soil.

Stormheight is created, with the Gem of Storms at its peak.
The climate changes, creating deserts and swamps in some areas.

Saraab, again anticipating the needs of mortals, creates the first trees. Notable are the broad and short Umbrella Tree, which spreads its seeds far in search of areas where the Wildfire Grass is weak, then quickly sprouts into a sapling too strong for the Grass to smother, and the fruit-bearing Hardwood Tree, which grows well in places where Wildfire Grass struggles, although there is some overlap. A handful of nondescript trees round out the newly created forests of the world.

The Umbrella Tree, Hardwood Tree, and some other nondescript trees are created.

The world now seemed somewhat liveable, albeit somewhat lacking in animal diversity. The suitability must've been obvious, as in short order three gods set forth to create sapient creatures to populate the planet.

Anath creates the Star Elves, graceful beings who share in his aspects, veritable creatures of the night. Born of shadow, their senses are heightened to the point where direct sunlight and loud noises cause notable discomfort. Their inherent magic lets them sink into shadows, making their already darkened visages even harder to make out. Alternatively, they can summon starlight to illuminate their path, ensuring they are never stuck in absolute darkness. Some amongst them can even conjure small streams of starfire to burn their foes.
They emerge in clusters across the world, their rise coinciding with the coming of the night. Awakening beneath the stars, they are greeted by manifestations of Anath, who guides each Elf to their feet, then shows them a series of skills. Though they have only just come into being, the divine inspiration flows into them softly, in a manner that is soothing to their senses. In short order, they understand the basics of survival, simple craftswork, and perhaps most importantly, the secrets of stellar navigation and the creation of horoscopes- skills which (in a small way) draw upon the strength of the Wall of Stars itself, granting them the ability to chart their location and make predictions about coming events (by no means perfect ones, but sufficient to grant an edge when it comes to survival).

The Star Elves spread across the world, although they avoid areas where there is no shade to be found, preferring to shelter in caves or forests during the day. The skills Anath taught them serve them well, and they retain a sense of thanks to the Star-Father who awakened them. These thanks lack in structure or intensity, but provide Anath with some sustenance.

The Star Elves are created.
Anath teaches the Star Elves the basics of survival and craftswork, as well as stellar navigation and horoscope-creation.
Anath gains 1 strength from the (unfocused, primitive, paltry) worship of the Star Elves.

Ma Dong opts for the creation of a more unusual species. Collectively known as Carp, the Shuili and Jinli (and hypothetically Muli) are cast into the waters of the world. The Shuili have a vile aspect, but form strong communities on the shores. The Jinli are the more unusual of the two, integrating themselves into other animals, ranging from antelope all the way to dragons (although this is uncommon, given that many dragons are too powerful for the carp to integrate into- the dragon's body rejects the intruder, killing it before it can entrench itself).
Both suffer somewhat from a lack of multicellular life in the oceans and rivers, though through a combination of adult Shuili casting scraps of food into the waters, the single-celled life that is present, and a few plants that have adapted to growing in the shallows, they manage to propagate themselves.

Carp are created.

Bastion, meanwhile, opts for another race of reptilian sapients. The Bescaled are assembled according to his whims, each with an affinity for one of four elements, though this does not result in more than a very weak ability to manipulate the element in question- at least amongst the regular Bescaled. The Metalscales are possessed of more potent magical abilities, scaling (aha) with the value of their scales. A protective instinct is instilled in the Metalscales, that they might defend and lead their lesser brethren. Finally, the unfortunate and stunted Rustscales are granted wings by Bastion, to compensate for their weakness.
They make their homes primarily in the warmer areas of the world, hunting antelope and gathering fruit, in small tribes led by Metalscales.

The Bescaled are created.

Kamoan, not satisfied with the paltry worship he receives from his children, sends a vision in which he reveals his own existence, outlines their creation, explains the magic of the Kents, and talks of the work of other gods.
Though universally received, the vision is not universally understood. Most dragons understand the gist of the message, but find it hard to remember the details. Nevertheless, there is generally an understanding that a being known as Kamoan is responsible for their creation, and that he on occasion provides gifts. Kamoan's presence in their minds is enhanced, and a modicum more belief flows his way.
It takes some time for the magic of the Kamoanian Kents to be first used successfully. After all, the dragons have a hard time thinking of something they would want more than a Kent- a few try to exchange their Kent for a Fallen Star or Blood Ruby, but fail in this endeavour due to lacking sufficient magical energy needed to balance the exchange.

Fortunately, whilst the dragons have a hard time thinking of material goods they desire, it occurs to a clever dragon to ask for knowledge instead. Setting its coin on a nice flat rock, it pours magic into the golden disc, internally chanting the name of Kamoan, whilst thinking clearly of what it wants. Magic crackles through the air, the Kent glows and vibrates- and then, with a sound like clinking coins, vanishes into thin air. In its place, the dragon is granted visions of shiny rocks melting beneath a concentrated flame, and liquid metal coalescing beneath it. The secret of how to create replica Kents- or at least, the first step.
A canny trade indeed, for whilst the knowledge is simple enough, the potential gains outweigh the costs considerably.
Scrounging through its hoard, the dragon finds several rocks that seem like suitable candidates, and bathes them all in its hottest fire. On the majority of its collection, the brief burst of flame has little effect- but one of its rocks seems to shimmer slightly, and after repeatedly scorching that rock alone, a few droplets of metal are produced, forming lumps on the floor of the dragon's cave. Whilst not an especially attractive metal, in the dragon's opinion, by melting all the droplets together and beating the result with a rock, it is able to produce a roughly disc-shaped object of the dull-grey material.
Scouring the land for more rocks of a similar type and repeating the process, the dragon is able to produce a small hoard of lead discs. This is enough to elevate it in strength, the secret to which baffles other dragons, some of whom realise that such a secret might be worth a Kent. A number of dragons trade in their Kents for the secret (their greed generally stopping them from sharing a secret bought at such cost with others).

Kamoanian Kents are enchanted to allow users to exchange them for a variety of things by praying to Kamoan. This will cost Kamoan 1DE in upkeep per turn (may be cancelled at any time)(This is due to Roboson specifically establishing that the magic requires his power to work, preventing it from being used without his consent).
Kamoan sends a dream explaining this and various other things to all dragons. Though not perfectly understood, the dragons understand enough for their worship (such as it is) to be enhanced, especially when adding the (relatively) intense prayer said when attempting to use a Kent's magic. This increases Kamoan's strength by 1.
Several dragons learn to extract lead (and other low-melting-point metals) from ore, and work them into crude shapes.

The Star Elves do quite well for themselves, hunting Red-Prarie Antelope, gathering Hardwood fruits, Wildfire Grass seeds, and various other edible plants, using stone tools and weapons, and hiding in shadows from the attention of roaming dragons. Some create primitve works of art, carving wood and stone into small statues.

Star Elves develop art.

The Carp spread slowly, confined to shores and rivers, and limited in their ability to reproduce by the sparsity of waterborn nutrition. They too hunt antelope and gather fruit, although they are slightly less effective, given that their tools are either non-existant or especially primitive. However, after an Elf gets integrated by a Jinli, it brings some of the knowledge of craftsmanship to the Carp, and soon the Carp are likewise wielding carved stone in their endeavours.

Carp learn basic crafting from the Star Elves.

The Bescaled run into a slight issue. They feel an affinity towards dragons, who tolerate their presence so long as they do not bother them... until a dragon encounters a Metalscale. The glittering of the copper-scaled lizard is enough to cause the dragon to pounce, tearing them to shreds, and taking their hide back to their hoard. The Bescaled are significantly more cautious about approaching dragons subsequently. Technologically, they fall somewhat behind the Elves and Carp, neither of which is open to sharing their secrets with a strange species.

Metalscales are hunted by dragons.

Several dragons take the Stormheight challenge. Some brave the storm, are tossed and tumbled, and either turn tail or are dashed against the rock. Others attempt to climb the mountain on claw, but the magical winds leave even dragons incapable of reaching the summit.

A lead-dragon, who was especially good at finding and smelting ores, develops a hoard large enough to challenge a ruby-dragon. The battle is long and intense, but eventually the lead-dragon is victorious, and claims the Blood Ruby as his prize. He finds the enhanced fire makes smelting easier, further enhancing the size of his hoard. Whilst by no means as powerful as the star-dragons, his scales, in alternating stripes of crimson and grey, are very strong, and other dragons soon learn not to trifle with him.

A ruby-lead-dragon grows old and powerful.

Meanwhile, the Eldritch Threat probes the Wall of Stars a few times, but no actual incursions take place. Anath, Bastion, Go'Sha and Ventura recover completely. The gods gain energy, Kamoan and Anath gaining more from their mortal worshippers.

Note that sometimes I roll dice when it comes to determining the actions of mortals (but not gods). I haven't included the rolls, but perhaps a peek behind the curtain would help make more sense of what is happening? Let me know. Anyway, links: OOC thread, Discord.

Spoiler: God Statuses (click to show/hide)
Long Live United Forenia!

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Candles In The Dark (IC Thread)(Turn 3)
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2019, 12:13:22 pm »

Go'sha, magically tuned to her stones, notices a powerful dragon has gained possession of one. Using a simple action, she whispers through her rubies that she is around, as a gentle reminder of her presence.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 09:37:58 am by Elvish Miner »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2019, 01:14:47 pm »

Ventura was pleased to regain full strength, finally recovering from the attack of the Eldritch Threat. Now at full strength, he aimed to make his mark on the world with two new creations.

Firstly, he stirred the great power of wind into the storm around Stormheight, then siphoned a portion of the storm off... and poured power into that piece, growing it and sustaining it, creating a massive perpetual storm, constantly traveling the world. He imagined the great magical energy within it would make it a potent magic power source for mortals, if they could only grasp it. Of course, the storm had lightning. Ventura's focus was enough to ensure the lightning would seek out and destroy that which he hated, Eldritch beings. The Neverending Storm would be a threat to all that was Eldritch, he thought.

Ventura spends 5 DE to create the Neverending Storm, a massive storm system that exists perpetually and travels the world. It contains great magical power possibly tappable by mortals if they figure out how, and its lightning bolts will target Eldritch creatures if any are present.

Afterwards, he had a portion of power left, which he poured into a single bolt of lightning from the Neverending Storm, which struck a tree, but instead of breaking the tree, was absorbed by it. Moments later, the tree crumbled, and reshaped, forming into a humanoid figure seemingly made of patterned blue wood. Ventura's magic within the being animated it, bringing it to life. Moments later, it turned to wind, sent on its unending mission.

Ventura spends 3 DE to create the Trader of the Winds, an unaging being tasked with making bargains, trading secrets and items for items and secrets, offering opportunities to trade to all intelligent beings. The Trader possesses the ability to turn itself and everything it carries into winds, using this ability to travel and avoid attacks. Ventura gives the Trader the idea to trade knowledge of how to cut Windstone to Star Elves in exchange for some of their best art. (Ventura uses a simple action to teach the Trader how to cut Windstone).
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2019, 03:33:05 pm »

Ventura, I applaud your new creation. Your trader interests me greatly. The wealth in this world is so stagnant. Locked in the earth, defended by fire and fury, or too disconnected to move. Here I ask, would you oppose I also provide them a task under my banner?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2019, 03:44:33 pm »

"I do applaud your endeavor. I am willing to accept your influence, under two conditions. Firstly, the Gem of Storms is meant to be claimed by a worthy being, not taken and used as trading material. Secondly, should this task create increased worship, I would like an equal share of that worship to be dedicated unto me. Is that acceptable?"
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2019, 04:01:09 pm »

An enterprising mind indeed. I agree on the storm gem, a dragon must earn it's treasure and I have no intention of interfering with that most noble of quests. So to your first condition, I agree wholeheartedly.

The second condition is a different matter entirely. I do not dictate the whims of mortals. I cannot turn their love of gold into love of wind. All I can do is facilitate their quest, and their inventory of goods, in exchange for spreading my name.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2019, 04:08:03 pm »

"That is fair. But at the very least, my name must be spread as well."
Generic Arms Race.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2019, 04:22:02 pm »

Anath, seeing that all is going well, turns to Kamoan to ask the other god if he would be interested in working together on a new project. "I seek to make a vast cave system that extends throughout the entire world, to encourage interesting forms of life to rise." Anath explains. "My desired means to do this is to create a vast burrowing creature I will call the Tunneling Wyrms. They will be vast creatures which, well, tunnel, thus naturally and organically forming said cave system over the ages. The reason I think you might be interested in this project is that I intend for them to extrude all precious metals, and other substances such as gemstones or rare normal stones, into their skins, which will be shed when they are ready to grow larger, forming vast lodes of minable materials throughout the earth. Am I right in that you would be interested in such a project? If so, I can provide three units of energy if you provide two units for this."
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2019, 04:25:22 pm »

Seems fair enough, I do not oppose the trader doing so of their own free will. If that is the path I decide to walk, I will include that in my offer to the trader.

Kamoan turns to Anath, I am indeed interested in such an endeavor. The bowels of the earth have indeed interested me greatly. Even I am unsure how much untapped wealth lays beneath the rock. Though, I believe others would be interested. Bastion, may be willing to contribute to such an endeavor.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 04:39:00 pm by Roboson »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2019, 04:30:41 pm »

Ventura smiles. "Then we have an accord, Kamoan."
Generic Arms Race.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2019, 05:06:47 pm »

Though, I believe others would be interested. Bastion, may be willing to contribute to such an endeavor.
Bastion looks up from their view of the world. Ah, yes, yes I would! I’d been kinda hoping the dragons would consider having servants instead of just trophies, and that’s likely to be more probable when they have both more benefit from the former and less need for the latter. I mean, at the least, my bescaled can probably go mining better than the dragons can, and what coins they make are likely to be more intricate just by virtue of them being smaller.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2019, 05:08:38 pm »

Anath nods at the God of Wealth. "If others wish to work with us on this, I will not turn away their aid." Glancing at the other gods, Anath projects a question at them. "Do any of you find this project of interest to yourselves as well then?"

Though, I believe others would be interested. Bastion, may be willing to contribute to such an endeavor.
Bastion looks up from their view of the world. Ah, yes, yes I would! I’d been kinda hoping the dragons would consider having servants instead of just trophies, and that’s likely to be more probable when they have both more benefit from the former and less need for the latter. I mean, at the least, my bescaled can probably go mining better than the dragons can, and what coins they make are likely to be more intricate just by virtue of them being smaller.
"Good tidings then." Anath says with pleasure. "Would you be willing to donate one or two marks of divine power for this project? We need five in all, so with three of us, it seems likely two of us will give two units and one give one."
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 05:10:35 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9