Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Seeking a good MUD to play, again.  (Read 2190 times)

Piotrhabera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seeking a good MUD to play, again.
« on: June 09, 2019, 04:50:25 pm »

Good morning/afternoon/evening/night whatever is your time. I once again have came to a problem with finding a good unique MUD/MOO to play on. As such, I ask the Bay 12 Forums community again for any good MUD reccomendations. Again because my last thread died off and it was posted a long time ago.

Of course, I won't be seeking any random MUD, because some opportunists will try to reccomend me their MUDs (as a form of advertisement), hereby I have set up a few criterias which I will use to determine if a given MUD lies in my sphere of interest. Without further ado:

1: A MUD should have unique mechanics and gameplay.
This means that the mud should be engaging and offer someting unique mechanically and gameplay-wise. No stock mechanics, no stock areas and most importantly: No stock classes. I am fine if there is a guild/clan system that works like the class system except joinable in-game. Unique classes, say wightknight instead of the anti-paladin or Paragonian Knight instead of the stock warrior also work, as well as multi-classing. Even stock classes made in a non-stock style are also acceptable. A class-less system is also fine, provided there is some sort of a archetype which I can look into when I tailor my own unique "class".  I've grown tired of the sea of MUDs offering the same generic "warrior rogue mage cleric" style, with the occasional "druid, necromancer, ranger, monk" classes thrown in.
Examples of unique-mechaniced MUDs include: Lost Souls (limb based health system, energies instead of mana, super-original guilds) Dune (Unique guilds with very unique mechanics, one of them got a rework) 3-Kingdoms/3-Scapes (Unique guilds, mechanics and even advancement systems and mana types (or guildpoints, as they're called))

2: A MUD should not offer an ability to purchase advantages with real-life money.
A topic of tension and controversy for the past year, microtransactions don't just plague only the big AAA games, they also affect the much older and smaller MUDs. These MUDs provide you with an ability to purchase perks or privileges that free players cannot obtain. This course of action is justified by "donations" and "rewarding donors", but this justification is so commonplace that it's no longer effective. Pepole should primarly donate because they like the game and they want to support their development, not because they can gain an advantage by doing so.
Monthly/quarterly/half-yearly/yearly subscription purchase also counts for "purchasing advantage" because if there is a free-to-play system and there is a subscription system, then the subscribers get advantages that the free players do not.
Examples of muds with the ability to purchase advantages include: Lost Souls (you can purchase guild slots, wild talents (psionics, as it is called there) and even exclusive races (such as shoggothim and pure dragons)) 3-Kingdoms/3-Scapes (you can buy special VAF perks, such as an additional guild slot. 1 guildslot = 200 VAF.  1 VAF = 1$ = ~4 ZŁ) Avalon (1989) (a recent addition, Avalon has turned from a sponsorship/optional subscription system to credited/"optional" subscription system. Being a credited (free) player means your progress is, from what I've read from the website, almost fully based upon crown purchase and crown conversion. And crowns are purchaseable with real money. Subscriptions give you lessons and free crowns, so yeah, do make up your own conclusion.)

3: A MUD should have a friendly and tolerant staffbase and playerbase.
The title is self-explanatiory, but I will describe it here. Even the best muds on the world can be spoiled and ruined if the elite, high level players see new players as undesirables and cannot understand their initial newbie stupidity being a part of the newbie learning process. Or otherwise act in a negative way towards those new and diffrent. No MUD can be called a good one as long as elitism runs rampant there. This includes the staff - it is also no good if the staff running the game are isolated from the community, reacting at any intrusion with arrogance and anger, in rare cases even issuing staff punishments for the audacity to disrupt their work in an effort to learn the game or address a problem unfixable otherwise. I myself have been the victim of communal elitism and staffer isolationism (mostly in the year 2015) and such experiences have made me much more distant towards a fellow person and more humble as well, and I worked hard on changing my own personality to avoid such incidents in the future, short and far.
For security reasons, I will not list out muds with suspected elitist problems, although if you, like me, are a veteran MUD drifter, who jumps from mud to mud you may actually know which muds I'm talking about.

4: A MUD should not forbid players from sharing walkthroughs to areas, quests and tasks.
That means that "qinfo", walkthroughs and other info should be freely accesible and shareable with others, to help them progress or catch up with their friends. It also means a MUD is open to those pepole who, for some reason cannot do quests due to mental conditions (myself being a part of this group). A mud who forbids or limits sharing "qinfo" or similar information, be it through internal or external communication is not open to those "special" pepole who simply cannot mentally do the task of completing even the simplest quests. I get it - this is a part of gameplay and makes up for the experience one enjoys while playing the game, I also get it that it also serves as a tool to keep the player engaged, but this is infuriating for some pepole and an a progress throttle for some diffrent pepole, in rare cases even a progress obstacle that cannot be overcome.
Examples of such muds include: 3-Scapes, Nanavent and Midnight Sun II.

5: A MUD should not tie progress and accesibility to roleplay, or enforce it in any way.
MUDs, being games that are text based, have a very strong roleplay potential that cannot be reproduced in 3D or even 2D games. This potential is sometimes used by games to advance the plot, make intrigue and generally create an unique atmosphere that is rememberable and enjoyable by all in the game. The downside to roleplay is that it is very slow paced, and if a mud ties progress to roleplay, then the already slow progress is slowed even more to unbearable levels. Some MUD's also enforce roleplay as well, which means that you have to act, or else. If a mud has it's progress or accesibility to guilds, clans and such tied to roleplay (usually that of a enforced kind), then you can't join that guild until, for example:
You start fufilling mechanical requirements, such as say... 17 wisdom for priests.
You have a written history. It can be a short one or a big one, but it must be logical and manually approved, which takes time.
You need to be already established in the in game roleplayscape, which means roleplay for a long time, usually a few months.
You need to roleplay joining a guild, that is establishing contact with recruiters, writing an interview letter, having an interview with the recruiter or the head of the guild. This process, especially the initial establishing contact phase, takes a very long time - usually a year, but there are rumours that this takes even longer, and even then, you may be rejected, which means roleplaying and mechanical adjustments and later repeating the sequence I described above, still with no guarantee..
Advancement within a approved guild takes less time, but it is still comparatively long.
Me, as a person with a low degree of patience, and a low tolerance of failure of any kind usually find it frustuating when you have to roleplay for over a year before you join your favourite guild and infuriating when you find out that your application was rejected just because you screwed up your history because you didn't knew the game lore. Therefore I usually avoid those games, as I want to play and have fun, and I'm not having fun when I find my progress throttled by roleplay.
Just to make it clear - I have nothing against roleplay in itself, it can be fun and it can also be enjoyable, so long as it is optional and so long as it is not tied to progress and does not impair or reduce accesibility to guilds, quests, locations etc.
Examples of such muds include: all RPI muds (such as Armageddon), all MUXes, all MUSHes, some MOOs, The Inquisition: Legacy, Threshold RPG, DragonRealms, Gemstone IV, Geas, Dark & Shattered Lands and New Worlds Ateraan.

All suggestions which are not blatant ads will be considered and judged based upon the 5 criteria I described, in detail, above. I understand this is a very long wall of text (it took 2 hours to write this), but I wanted to describe each criteria in detail as to not to cause ambiguity and confusion amongst the publicity. I hope to hear some answers soon. I wish you all a good day.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 04:00:11 pm by Piotrhabera »

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking a good MUD to play, again.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 01:45:13 am »

Thats a crazy list of criteria, but im going to recommend a mud that has drawn me back in time after time over the years. Its close to matching everything, but not exactly.

Its roleplay enforced, so everyone is in character all the time which creates a pretty fun atmosphere. Guilds focus around different ideals (such as Oulanders who reject society and law and live without the use of money, battleragers who dedicate themselves to ridding the world of magic, or Fortress of light who try to keep the evil forces in the world in check, etc etc) Guilds give you certain abilities and skills related to their theme, and are run by the playerbase.

Lots of information is shared such as maps and item lists of a good chunk of the world, but some areas are considered "explore" areas, and their info isnt public to encourage people to band together and explore these areas for themselves.

Characters dont last forever, and can permanently die off from old age (somewhere around 500 - 1200 real life hours depending on your race), or from Constitution death (Every 3-4 deaths you lose a point of constitution, and permanently die when it reaches 0) This keeps people from keeping powerful characters with the best skills/gear from dominating the mud forever, and keeps things fresh.

If you or anybody else would like to give the mud a try all the info can be found at Carrionfields.net

Piotrhabera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 03:53:32 am »

Thats a crazy list of criteria, but im going to recommend a mud that has drawn me back in time after time over the years. Its close to matching everything, but not exactly.

Its roleplay enforced, so everyone is in character all the time which creates a pretty fun atmosphere. Guilds focus around different ideals (such as Oulanders who reject society and law and live without the use of money, battleragers who dedicate themselves to ridding the world of magic, or Fortress of light who try to keep the evil forces in the world in check, etc etc) Guilds give you certain abilities and skills related to their theme, and are run by the playerbase.

Lots of information is shared such as maps and item lists of a good chunk of the world, but some areas are considered "explore" areas, and their info isnt public to encourage people to band together and explore these areas for themselves.

Characters dont last forever, and can permanently die off from old age (somewhere around 500 - 1200 real life hours depending on your race), or from Constitution death (Every 3-4 deaths you lose a point of constitution, and permanently die when it reaches 0) This keeps people from keeping powerful characters with the best skills/gear from dominating the mud forever, and keeps things fresh.

If you or anybody else would like to give the mud a try all the info can be found at Carrionfields.net

Now I actually did visit Carrion Fields, but I will take a look at it again - mostly because I see that CF has an functional aging system. Not many muds make age more than just a number. It will probably not be given the highest of ranks however, mostly because it doesn't fill the non-mandatory roleplay criteria.

After checking Carrion Fields, I give it a rating of 9 out of 25, with the rating spectrum being from -25 to +25. The main negative factors are: enforced roleplay, no ability to change class or race and noticeable staff isolationism. The main positive factors are: unique classes, short roleplayspan (1-3 weeks required to join a guild, not ideal but it'll do), friendly mortal community, donations do not give advantages and no qinfo prohibition (provided it is all In Character. This is better than a total ban.)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 05:15:59 am by Piotrhabera »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 04:04:40 am »

If you don't like RPIs I really can't help you. Only kind of MUDs worth playing, really.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 08:34:47 am »

Is PK MUD still going?

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 09:40:17 am »

If you don't like RPIs I really can't help you. Only kind of MUDs worth playing, really.
What RPI MUDs do you recommend though?
Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread. :)

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 09:53:32 am »

Yeah this seems like a crazy specific range of criteria and it's clear you've already done a lot of research into available MUDs on the market. Not sure if you're coming in expecting a hidden gem that checks off your boxes, but it sounds like you've probably heard/tried of most of them already to assign random -25 to +25 rankings :P

Would be happy to hear reccos from Yoink or you, oranyone though. I like RP enforced myself :)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 01:46:59 pm »

Possible reality: You are looking for a MUD that does not/cannot exist. I mean... your list is pretty much unattainable in what is a now-ancient and near dead genre of games known in the modern age for their exclusivity and difficulty to penetrate.

*sigh* that said, Legends of the Jedi (if you are okay with RP enforced Star Wars) is pretty friendly and last I checked you can't RP your way to better stats or anything like that. Though most of the best stuff is inter-faction warfare so, take that how you will.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 02:56:43 pm »

http://www.mudstats.com/World/AccursedLands

You are welcome :)

Also the website doesn't work, but directly connecting to it with a mud client works fine. Use the address/port from mudstats to connect through a mud client.

Few things to note:

-It says its an RP forced mud, but it really isn't. I talk to people OOC and its fine, the mud is super light on population so RP isn't enforced at all.

-It has pvp, but it doesn't really happen. I've never been pvped once. There is only 3 people on (including me), so chances of seeing someone is near 0 anyway.

-Which the population is ...uh...massive world...3 people currently on :P If you don't like "singleplayer" games, it won't be good.

-Last update apparently was 2016, since that is the last news post on the game. But um...someone keeps it running for years and years when its kinda "dead" in some ways. I consider the mud just finished and good to play as is.

-Don't forget to type in the chat box (without quotes) "chat /on" that way you can turn on the OOC chat

With that said. Whats unique?

-Most indepth crafting system by far in a MUD
-You can build houses and furniture and all that stuff
-Can fish
-Massive world (probably too big really, but its fine)
-Can dig underground and make a dwarven style home
-Light on magic
-Can chop down trees (which changes the landscape)
-Pretty sure there is perma death

Really to sum it up...imagine armageddon, but no RP enforcement and no pvp (probably cause there is a total of 2 others on right now as of this post :P) and uh...quite a bit less hardcore. But can't think of an example of a more indepth mud to compare it to. But I actually think Accursed Lands is more indepth in some ways

There is EmpireMUD too, where its more an RTS/City Builder MUD. Tbh I don't like the community in that MUD, its very...uhm...hmmm...well...closed in I suppose and I'm pretty sure the top few control the whole MUD. And I've read (so take it for what its worth) where the top player just kicks anyone out if they don't like that person and runs them off the MUD. And I think accursed lands is a lot more advanced anyway.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 03:02:55 pm by Trolldefender99 »

Piotrhabera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 03:59:31 pm »

What RPI MUDs do you recommend though?
Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread. :)
So long as you actually reccomend me muds, I will tolerate your hijacks, friend.
Yeah this seems like a crazy specific range of criteria and it's clear you've already done a lot of research into available MUDs on the market. Not sure if you're coming in expecting a hidden gem that checks off your boxes, but it sounds like you've probably heard/tried of most of them already to assign random -25 to +25 rankings :P
Out of the ~600-700 MUDs that are out there, I've played at least 100 of them, if not more. You are correct in this case. I wouldn't be asking the community if I didn't knew what I was asking.
Possible reality: You are looking for a MUD that does not/cannot exist. I mean... your list is pretty much unattainable in what is a now-ancient and near dead genre of games known in the modern age for their exclusivity and difficulty to penetrate.
Not all criteria must be fulfilled, I am aware that games which fill all those criteria are not easy, or even impossible to find. Yet, I still have hope that I will find my game one day. Should I be unable to find the game I seek, I'd be forced to create my own, and this will require coding knowledge and patience, things I do not possess.
http://www.mudstats.com/World/AccursedLands

You are welcome :)

Also the website doesn't work, but directly connecting to it with a mud client works fine. Use the address/port from mudstats to connect through a mud client.

Few things to note:

-It says its an RP forced mud, but it really isn't. I talk to people OOC and its fine, the mud is super light on population so RP isn't enforced at all.

-It has pvp, but it doesn't really happen. I've never been pvped once. There is only 3 people on (including me), so chances of seeing someone is near 0 anyway.

-Which the population is ...uh...massive world...3 people currently on :P If you don't like "singleplayer" games, it won't be good.

-Last update apparently was 2016, since that is the last news post on the game. But um...someone keeps it running for years and years when its kinda "dead" in some ways. I consider the mud just finished and good to play as is.

-Don't forget to type in the chat box (without quotes) "chat /on" that way you can turn on the OOC chat

With that said. Whats unique?

-Most indepth crafting system by far in a MUD
-You can build houses and furniture and all that stuff
-Can fish
-Massive world (probably too big really, but its fine)
-Can dig underground and make a dwarven style home
-Light on magic
-Can chop down trees (which changes the landscape)
-Pretty sure there is perma death

Really to sum it up...imagine armageddon, but no RP enforcement and no pvp (probably cause there is a total of 2 others on right now as of this post :P) and uh...quite a bit less hardcore. But can't think of an example of a more indepth mud to compare it to. But I actually think Accursed Lands is more indepth in some ways

There is EmpireMUD too, where its more an RTS/City Builder MUD. Tbh I don't like the community in that MUD, its very...uhm...hmmm...well...closed in I suppose and I'm pretty sure the top few control the whole MUD. And I've read (so take it for what its worth) where the top player just kicks anyone out if they don't like that person and runs them off the MUD. And I think accursed lands is a lot more advanced anyway.
I too play Accursed Lands and I too find it fun. However, there are things that I do not like in this game:
Poor newbie help. The game does not explain where to get anything, where to sell things etc. This means that I usually wander aimlessly in search of something that can't even be found.
Censorship of vulgarity. I have nothing against vulgarity in games myself, and most games also are fine with that. Accursed Words does not allow both IC and OOC cursing, because of an weird, unspecified reason. As an opponent of censorship of any kind, this is unacceptable to me, especially considering the fact, that more and more minors already recognize and use curse or "bad" words, so this sort of censorship is even more ridiculous, in my opinion.
AL is however a very good game, and I can forgive those abovementioned things only because it offers very engaging mechanics.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 09:33:25 pm »

Empire MUD is pretty welcoming I think. I was trying to run the reboot of the Dwarven Empire but lost interest since there really isn't much to do, and war isn't very fleshed out.

I like Armageddon, just never got into it. That and HellMOO always bring me back for various reasons but I also usually stop playing for other various reasons.

I would agree that really the only MUDs worth playing are roleplay ones, since mechanically almost any other games are far superior. I guess HellMOO is my one exception, but that's since it isnt the typical fantasy RPG thing. There are a few sci fi ones I like too, like Star Conflict and Marion... but I usually end up playing an actual sci fi game instead, since its generally more engaging.

Shit, I kinda want to get back into one of those two sci fi muds, or a star trek one now. Every time I dive back into MUDs though I come out not very satisfied. Maybe I just don't give em enough time.

Oh yeah! Fed II is worth looking at. The early game seems really grindy and I have yet to pay off my ship yet but it has a pretty large playerbase judging by usual playercounts and has a pretty immersive universe. I was looking to try it out as well.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 09:35:21 pm by Vivalas »
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 12:59:28 pm »

Fed II could be pretty interesting. If you give it a shot, let me know. I wouldn't mind trying to figure out the systems with you.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 01:21:42 pm »

I'd recommend HellMOO but I don't know what the quality is like now. Back when I played, the owner threw a massive tantrum over being killed by players and redesigned the rules from the ground up. I quit after player vs player conflict ground to a halt.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 07:53:18 pm »

What? HellMOO used to be a constant brawl. I was scared of leaving FC and never got my character that high level, but I remember PK being very integral and very scary. What happened? I don't remember there really even being any rules.

Fed II could be pretty interesting. If you give it a shot, let me know. I wouldn't mind trying to figure out the systems with you.

The early game grind doesn't actuallly seem too bad, just that I was trying to do it solely on mobile. On PC with maps open it shouldn't take more than 2 hours to pay off your ship and build enough money to upgrade. The world is pretty immersive too, and you start to get a feel for where places are and where to go on planets. I might take you up on it cause it does seem kinda neat. The only real things that can set you back is running out of fuel in space (since its ludicrously overpriced and will put you in huge debt) or getting attacked and or fined by space police for not submitting to searches. Oh and there are certain ways to die if you wander around on stations and planets, but death isn't too bad unless you don't have insurance, in which case it is permadeath. But insurance is cheap unless you die a lot.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 07:58:42 pm by Vivalas »
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 09:52:25 pm »

HellMOO
There were a few branches of hellmoo. One basically removed pvp. All made a LOT of good changes. Rerolling became easy. I do miss it some days.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: [1] 2