Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ending wars?  (Read 1908 times)

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
  • The only person who cares about Tales from Entar
    • View Profile
Ending wars?
« on: June 09, 2019, 06:14:27 pm »

I was just reminded of my old world, Entar.

There's a single Dwarven civ, one Human, one Goblin, two Elven civs, and a single Kobold cave hidden in the mountains that nobody can get to.

There was relative peace up until the Silverypainted Incident occured.

Sometime around 1054 there was a werebeast outbreak I assumed I'd contained, which had the bad timing of unveiling itself as merchants and visitors were arriving. The subsequent attacks and spread caused a small Weregila monster outbreak in that part of the world, but ended up making each and every civilization in the world go to war with one another. The game's now in 1075 if memory serves, and war is still raging. Dwarves are the dominant civ and thanks to my fort's adamantine supply has an uncontested military, but that's where the problem arises;

This game was started before creating raiding parties was added in, and as such won't let me actually form them in the newer versions.

I'm pretty much stuck having to defend against sieges hoping everyone will get bored and call it a day, but is there any way I can help bring these wars to a close and get a few years of peacetime before I reactivate my Adventurer and use his status as the world's only necromancer to go full White Walker on everybody?

Apologies if this is in the wrong group.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ending wars?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 04:17:37 am »

There's no in game way, as diplomacy is handled on the civ level, not the fortress one.

I believe it should be possible to DFHack the civ structures that contain each civ's relation to each other civ (I believe that's been done to end fortresses state of war with their own civs).

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 07:22:32 pm »

I usually conquer all their sites and prevent nothing has happened.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 03:46:39 am »

I usually conquer all their sites and prevent nothing has happened.
An impossible option for the OP, as that game was started on a version that doesn't support raiding.

With the current DF version I find the option impossible because DF crashes due to equipment corruption well before I've captured even half of the enemy's sites (happened to all my fortresses since raiding was introduced, except the dead civ ones, where a different bug causes raiding parties to never reach the destination [and thus never return either]).

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 09:19:31 pm »

Strange, I don't recall that bug.
But still conquering them doesn't end the war.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 02:50:30 am »

Almost all of the crash bug reports on the bug tracker for the current release have been identified to be caused by equipment corruption. That bug has also been under discussion in a fair number of threads on the forum.

See http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=11014.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 02:52:32 am by PatrikLundell »

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 03:40:22 pm »

So my best bet might be DFHack.

I'm not that experienced with it beyond using cleanup to fix a few floods and autodump stone, how would one go about editing civ structures?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 10:14:41 pm »

My save is from pre-raiding parties, and it can still form raiding parties...

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 03:50:15 pm »

Strange, mine doesnt. Generated the world in 43.05 if I recall, but since raiding was added the options to send anybody out are blanked out. Ditto with rumours and news, though with that one it might be the fact that I'm the Mountainhome and my liaison lives there so nobody's spreading info. Maybe retiring/unretiring would work?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 06:41:54 pm »

Kill them all, God will sort out their diplomatic immunity.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 06:45:18 pm »

Strange, mine doesnt. Generated the world in 43.05 if I recall, but since raiding was added the options to send anybody out are blanked out. Ditto with rumours and news, though with that one it might be the fact that I'm the Mountainhome and my liaison lives there so nobody's spreading info. Maybe retiring/unretiring would work?
Mine is also from 43.05 and all of it works, despite the lack of artifacts