Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Neat Grasses 1.1  (Read 2498 times)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Neat Grasses 1.1
« on: June 09, 2019, 10:06:14 pm »

So in the vanilla game grasses are cool and all, but with the exception of bamboo, good, and evil grasses are almost entirely identical. In addition, they serve no purpose from a gameplay sense, in that no resources can be harvested. So changing them all won't change anything meaningful beyond aesthetics. And personally, I like aesthetics. The mod replaces all grass EXCEPT bamboo, good, and evil grasses with generic ones. Generic as in, not a specific species. Basically it changes how biomes look. Plains, tundra, and mountains are unchanged, but forests are darker and more foreboding, swamps have are even more forebodinger and have patches of mud, and deserts have round cacti instead of grass.

HOW TO INSTALL: Just drop it into the objects folder and let it override the vanilla grass. It might mess things up if you have previously modded your grass, in which case you gotta patch things up.

It should work okay in the vanilla game but let me know if there's anything wrong.

link: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14410
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 01:26:48 am by squamous »
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Neat Grasses 1.0
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 06:53:16 am »

This looks neat - I'll give it a go! It's always nice to see subtle tweaks like this.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 05:43:26 pm »

So why vanilla grasses is more unteresting?

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 11:42:19 pm »

Like I said, all of them except bamboo, good, and evil grass look completely identical. There is no variation whatsoever. which is something I have changed. In addition, there is no risk involved with changing them because they don't have any gameplay function.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 02:34:14 am »

Like I said, all of them except bamboo, good, and evil grass look completely identical. There is no variation whatsoever. which is something I have changed. In addition, there is no risk involved with changing them because they don't have any gameplay function.
Vanilla grasses have name and prototype. Your grasses is just tile with color and biome.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Neat Grasses 1.1
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 11:28:51 am »

Vanilla grasses have name and prototype. Your grasses is just tile with color and biome.
Please stop trying to demean other mods. It gains you nothing except annoying people.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 07:26:58 pm »

Please stop trying to demean other mods. It gains you nothing except annoying people.

I dont think I have ever seen a nice post from him.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 07:28:53 pm by brolol.404 »

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 02:59:16 pm »

I dont think I have ever seen a nice post from him.
Same. Is he perhaps a troll?

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 03:41:20 pm »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 03:53:17 pm »

I for one like the grasses and have done the very same thing in my tileset and suggested it to Tarn for the upcoming graphics. Don't know if it will happen, but I hope so.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 04:29:54 pm »

Any screenshots? before/after