Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [SG] Way of the Martial Arts  (Read 1904 times)

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SG] Way of the Martial Arts
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 11:27:34 pm »

"I have nothing. I am nothing. I must save my own. I must preserve my own. Help me. Teach me."

Perfect. +1

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 11:53:36 pm »

"I have nothing. I am nothing. I must save my own. I must preserve my own. Help me. Teach me."

Do this.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 03:40:37 am »

The words fly out of your mouth without you meaning to. It feels like it's been so long since you've properly spoken to another human being. The hoarseness and timidity of your voice betrays you.

The man just continues to stare at you. Smiling all the while. Slowly, ever so slowly, the mirth leaves his eyes and his mouth droops downward. His face looks like a mask, every bit as still and lifeless as the owl visage he wore.

"You wish to learn? From me? You poor creature." There's pity in his voice.

You look down at the ground for the merest second, and when you look back up he's somehow moved directly in front of you, staring down at you, his face just inches away. You didn't hear him, didn't even feel his movements, which is a first. Is this how you die?

The stare down continues. You don't move. You know, you just know, if you move, he will kill you. With the same ease it would take for him to snap a twig. You know it in your bones.

"You really are a piece of vermin aren't you? You know you can't run, and you certainly can't fight. Can't speak worth a damn, but you've got some impressive instincts."

Still keeping still, as still as you can. You understand his words, his arrogance and yet you can't help but notice his pseudo-compliment at the end.

"It's rare to find youths like yourself within the confines of these...cities. Most of the poor here have already given up on living, from what I've seen. Even now, in your seeming acceptance, your eyes are alive." He pauses. Then closes his eyes.

"Very well then."

You blink. Suddenly you find yourself breathing. Slowly, then rapidly, then you're collapsing on the floor, relief flooding your body. The sense of danger suffusing your very being subsides. And you look up.

"My name is Quin. You shall refer to me as Master. Nothing else."

Without saying another word, Master Quin turns and walks into his house.

And it appears you're life is about to go through a monumental change.

Part 2 of this turn will be up soonish, no need for actions yet.

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 04:02:07 am »

The days pass busily. Master Quin is quite the taskmaster, and quite cold when directly instructing you. Oddly enough, when he's just going about his business or watching you from a distance, you occasionally catch his stoic face disappear. But only for a moment.

You're grateful for the bread he gives you, which you try to share with your mother. Whatever her thoughts are on this new source of food you've found, you don't know. She's even more quiet than you are.

The training itself is odd. Master Quin had you do:

A. Extensive manual labour, chopping all his firewood, maintaining his yard, and arranging the things he lets you touch.

B. Forcing you to expand your vocabulary, by making you look at all these strange books of men in various poses and wearing really old Eastern clothing.

C. Making you chase the birds that flutter into the yard every now and again. They're quick bastards, and every time you fail you get less food for the day.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 04:13:11 am »

B
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 08:49:59 am »

Hmm. Rossi/Miga training, magic king fi books, or Rocky style speed. All interesting, vote latter.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2019, 02:02:20 pm »

Meh B works. Makes us educated and move list.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2019, 08:07:26 pm »

You go over the books and scrolls day in and day out. Words and words and words. Names of old men and women whom you've never heard of before. The pictures help. Every person's actions have a set of words, even stories associate with them.

You try to ask your Master why you're reading about these people, which only merits a smack on the back of the head.

After another week of endless study, and actually speaking to another human being, your language ability has grown tremendously.

And beyond that, you've started to notice patterns in the pictures and accompanying stories. Each individual, man or woman, whether they're punching or kicking or scratching or whatever else, seem to be standing in very specific poses. The poses change, depending on whether they're attacking, blocking, or evading.

One day, you decide to try it yourself. It's awkward. You're much more used to moving, well, naturally. Sticking to all these rigid forms and foot positions is just plain annoying.

But still you keep at it. Another week passes, and you find yourself moving a fair bit more comfortably. You have now learned basic Stances. Choosing to change your stance between offensive, grounded, and evasive might make attacking, blocking or dodging a bit easier. The trick is knowing when to use it.

Turn part 2 coming up soon.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2019, 10:16:38 pm »

It's been another month. Your practice with analysing the forms on the books and actually applying it to yourself are starting to bear fruit. You have no real talent for this repeated practice, but effort and time bear fruit nonetheless.

Your day in day out routine changes, when:

A. You decide to go earn some money at the dog pits, under Master Quin's supervision.

B. A strange woman decides to visit your Master's home.

C. Your Master leaves for some time, leaving behind instructions to "watch over" the house.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2019, 05:38:47 am »

C
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2019, 09:37:14 am »

Mm, depends. How's our mother doing?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2019, 01:27:32 pm »

Currently looking a bit better. The extra food's gotten her through her period of illness, although she's still as quiet and aloof as ever. At least she's not unconscious for most of the day.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2019, 01:36:23 pm »

Hm, alright then. A is unnecessary now. C is just asking for trouble. Let's go with... B.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2019, 03:08:38 pm »

Hmm.

B means mystery person, which is interesting. C, has way too much on which we cause problems that we will have to fix.

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2019, 01:05:32 am »

Mystery person! Go with "B".
Pages: 1 [2] 3