Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How I set my armor up only once per fort  (Read 1311 times)

TheEqualsE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How I set my armor up only once per fort
« on: June 12, 2019, 07:38:49 pm »

I make a uniform that sets my armor up the way I like it.  I assign them a weapon type. For my first squad this is always an axe.  Then as I add squads with different weapons I just change the weapon on the uniform, then tell the squad to use the uniform.  Even as new people get added to different squads, they will use the right type of weapon for their squad.  I like Axes, Crossbow, hammers and spears the best but as people come to the fort with other skills I put them in a squad of the type of weapon that they are good at.

You might expect that if you change the uniform, you change it for everyone, but that's not how it works.  My fort has 11 squads, and they're pretty good about having all their equipment.

When assigning a group of crossbow users don't forget to toggle on carrying ammunition.
Likes cats for their aloofness.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How I set my armor up only once per fort
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 09:22:12 am »

You can also make a macro of yourself setting up the uniform, without setting the weapon. Then each time you need a new uniform, you just play the macro and add a weapon afterwards.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 03:53:11 pm »

I just set up a uniform without weapons, then assign weapons manually. This way I can give individuals specific weapons like pick axes.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 09:46:47 am »

Same, but I micromanage and set up a few uniforms, from order of importance.
Cheap, lightweight armor just enough for full coverage, for training.
Basic metal armor, for active but basic militia.
Steel armor for the important militia.
And steel armor with everything, for once they reach legendary.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 11:43:12 am »

Over time, I've used most of these methods. My current involves macro'ing a dozen uniforms for militia and a dozen for fully-armored military, then adding weapons and/or shields to the uniform. I'm also adding the Shaped tag to boots and gauntlets so I can use Over Clothing and they will wear their boots properly. I tend to have over a 100 dwarfs wearing armor, so I avoid assigning exact items except artifact weapons and armor.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

LordSoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 02:58:47 am »

I used to assign each piece individually as I usually run into the situation where my soldiers run around partly equipped.
Main reason for this in my opinion is that when I assign a uniform and have more than 2 squads with the same setup (e.x. Steel armor, helm, greaves, boots, gauntlets) and I produce a new batch of armor everyone who likes to "upgrade" drops his old uniform piece and runs to the stockpile.
In most cases this is successful but sometimes I guess there is a mismatch and two or more soldiers run for the new helm. That shouldn't be a problem but they refuse to pick up their old equipment when they recognize the fact their new helm is already in possion of someone else.
Most problematic is when it goes to boots and gauntlets *sigh*.
Running around with only one is common within my stubborn minions  :D

Recently I made the experience that the tedious assignment work was to my advantage when it comes to mass equipment drops from squads returning from raids.
While it usually ended in a complete mess until everyone got a piece of equipment its now more smooth.
This was in the past even more messy when not only the returning squad tried to get back its equipment but also everyone else with a uniform matching the upgrade criteria.

At the moment I am quite content even with the initial invest per squad.
I am just looking for a chance to mod a hood and cloak just for the military. As it is counted as clothes it has wear and new ones are picked up and stored by anyone who likes to aquire new clothes. I guess that is part of the
 ''Need'' system.

At the Moment I am running six full squads with all equipment personal assigned and I am going to draft my civilians too (mostly for safety reasons but for their needs to train too)
At the end I think I gained most of control over my clothes industry and the whole equipment problems.

Maybe a tip for making personal assignment less painful is to forbid all clothes an armor which is already in inventory or owned (via enhanced stockpile view)
That leaves only your newest/unused equipment in the list (beside the bug with the corrupted items from raids)
All other metal from Siegers is usually marked for melting so I get my uniform assigned pretty fast and without problems.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 03:01:52 am by LordSoth »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 06:47:45 pm »

In most cases this is successful but sometimes I guess there is a mismatch and two or more soldiers run for the new helm.
There is a "mismatch" error that you will see when you are producing a lot of new uniform items (or a lot of your better military dwarfs are dying and dropping armor everywhere). Item A is available and is assigned to a dwarf's uniform. The dwarf starts walking to it, but by the time they arrive, the better item B was produced and replaces item A in their uniform, so it generates the mismatch error about item A, cancelling the job, and usually they pick up item B next.

Most problematic is when it goes to boots and gauntlets *sigh*.
Running around with only one is common within my stubborn minions  :D
Try modding high boots, low boots, and gauntlets, by adding the Shaped tag to them. Then they will drop their shoes and mittens and wear the boots and gauntlets (while using the Over Clothing uniforms). I haven't had any dwarfs fail to wear all of their uniform since I started with it.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

LordSoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 10:03:19 am »

I will try that ;D
What's the trick with ''shaped'' btw?

Anyone who has also problems with squads dropping their backpacks and flasks after raid?
They often never pick it up again and DT is showing
''missing special xxx flask/waterskin''.
Raids cause massive micromanagement atm. Especially with gear and rooms  :-\
Hope next version brings a lot of fixes for that interessing feature.  :)