Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: DOUBLEKING [Wrapping Up]  (Read 12907 times)

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
Re: DOUBLEKING [Wrapping Up]
« Reply #120 on: July 08, 2019, 10:55:31 pm »

I enjoyed it. Even when it wasn't my turn, the theorycrafting on what crowns I could get, what crowns my opponent will get, how to best utilized and combine crown powers in order to counter what my opponent could throw at me was a lot of fun. I have some minor niggles, but these are more like observations than complaints, and I'm pretty sure the exploration part of the round will rectify it.

CROWNS: I don't think it would be unreasonable to say that not all crowns are made equally. Even without the lucky dice roll on my first match, gravity vs. bird isn't exactly a fair match up, gravity has both far more direct damage potential, area of control, and defensive capabilities than being able to summon and control birds. This can be pretty easily balance by placing the more powerful and versatile crowns in harder to reach places in the Mad Castle. The power of crowns also segways into my next niggle...

CROWN STATS: After Kit performed the bone reversal that won them the match, I noticed a way for NRDL to potentially recover and nullify the effects of the crown of bones and suffocation on himself via a wombo combo utilizing all of his crowns. But when I checked his stats, I saw he had a d4 for control meaning it would be practically impossible for the combo to actually succeed since it requires high precision. And for a game where the idea is to stack up and combine different powers to get new and creative effects, having the option to kneecap that possible creative ability in exchange for a physical stat boost seems... wonky. Especially considering that most crown effects work off of potency and are generally more effective than just using regular weapons. It's a match-up between sword and gun vs. pillar of gravity and giving someone the bends so hard their heart explodes, and I'll say the latter two are both more likely to win, and be more interesting to watch as well.

You could have each crown have a specific potency and control instead, as a way of correcting the previous problem as well as balancing the more versatile crowns and giving more use to the less useful ones. So the crown of birds for example can have something like D6 potency and D8 control, in order to balance out the more limited use, while something like the crown of gravity could get something like D10 power but D4 control. More power, but in a uncontrollable matter. This runs into the issue of needing to apply power levels to all the crowns, and I know you got like, 50 of them, but I think it would be a good way to balance out the game.

Well, that or just have control and potency permanently be d6, since that's the simplest way of ensuring all crown abilities stay useful for the rest of the game.     
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 09, 2019, 04:28:35 am »

I'm curious, if I had chosen to do a physical attack, like try to stand up and rush Kit despite having my bones melted, would that have resulted in extreme penalties to the roll, or would you have just straight vetoed it?

I started to realise just how poorly optimised my character was for endgame fights, with multiple crowns potentially working. So my first roll always ended up being trying to bumrush people.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #122 on: July 10, 2019, 11:23:23 am »

Mechanically there are some ideas I'd like to float past you guys.

1. Dex split into speed and dex, to make dex and ranged attacks disconnected from going first

2. In the current version of the game we have two magic stats, potency and control. Instead of handling it like that I thought it might be better to instead keep potency but instead of control to instead use the other stats in its place. So if you're shooting something it would be potency and Dex or potency and will to create and control summoned creatures. It would basically still work the same but it would make your stats and your magic connected as opposed to completely disconnected.

3. To make it at least clear how rolls are handled with mixing vs stacking powers. Ie if you mix the powers of two or more crowns its a single roll, but if you use one, then another, then another in sequence, that's 3 rolls.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 10, 2019, 12:42:58 pm »

Mechanically there are some ideas I'd like to float past you guys.

2. In the current version of the game we have two magic stats, potency and control. Instead of handling it like that I thought it might be better to instead keep potency but instead of control to instead use the other stats in its place. So if you're shooting something it would be potency and Dex or potency and will to create and control summoned creatures. It would basically still work the same but it would make your stats and your magic connected as opposed to completely disconnected.
I like this idea
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]