Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Pokémon Succession Fortress of Redgem The Blue-Gem (OVERSEERS WANTED!)  (Read 24796 times)

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
  • My sole interest is uncovering the truth!
    • View Profile

"What? They don't have any word for 'ruby' or 'sapphire' in this? I already typed this Hoenn-inspired intro so I am not skipping the Hoenn games... hm... -RedMageCole, testing the fort

Hi! Sorry to keep you waiting! Welcome to the world of Dwarvémon! My name is RedMageCole. But everyone calls me the Dwarvémon Scholar. This is what we call a "Dwarvémon."

This world is widely inhabited by creatures known as Dwarvémon. We dwarves live alongside Dwarvémon, at times as dwarven child caretakers, and at times as hard slave labor. And sometimes, we band together and battle kobolds and dirty elves. But despite our closeness, we don't know everything about Dwarvémon. In fact, there are many, many secrets surrounding Dwarvémon. To unravel Dwarvémon mysteries, I've been undertaking research. That's what I do. And you are?
Are you a boy? Or are you a girl?

FAQ:
Wait, Dwarvémon? You mean Pokémon, right?... in Dwarf Fortress?
Yep! This particular succession fortress will have the Dwarvémon mod created by FirePhoenix11, meaning that we will have Pokémon in place of vanilla animals! We'll get Mega Evolution and Legendary Megabeasts, and may even encounter some strange untold other mysteries of the mod, who knows?

Will there be other vanilla animals in this?
Nope!... As far as we know, anyways. Most of it will be Pokémon, but we'll probably get some world-generated death incarnate new Pokémon to be discovered!

Were there previous succession forts of this kind?
Yep! You may find the first one, Pocketball, here, and the sequel, Goldsilver, here!

Are you going to be okay running this fort?
Chances are, you weren't asking this unless you were in Pocketball or Goldsilver, or just got done binge reading the two. As you know, I stopped updating both succession forts, initially somewhat just out of laziness, but eventually out of a great deal of pressure and anxiety. However, it is currently summer vacation for me, a time where I will be able to try and maintain this fort to the best of my ability. If I seem like I'm slacking off, I try to go on Bay12 daily; feel free to PM me if it feels like I'm neglecting things (but I will do my best to not neglect this thread like I did the last two, I hope you'll all give me a chance). Helped that I read back on the old updates and had a lot of laughs remembering them, I gotta remember to bring back RedMageCole's Pokedex as well for people who don't want to dig in the raws to find out their attacks/don't know much about Pokemon.

You know the drill, then! Post if you want a turn or if you just want to be dorfed, what you want your dwarf's profession will be, and we'll set off after we got five dorfed dwarves! (One slot is reserved for someone important who, with their encouragement, allowed me to make this.) Also, if you are one of the starting six, feel free to ask for a Pokemon to come with us on the journey (though be a bit broad in your choosing with a few preferences and potentially type preferences, there's a lot of choices but not all of them like Galar, yes I went there); everyone dorfed should get the Animal Trainer ability so that we may all have our cuddly critters.

Players:
Dorf List
  • Opuntia
  • MottledPetrel
  • scourge728
  • rainbowdashfanboi84
  • delphonso
  • SQman
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 09:29:27 am by RedMageCole »

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile

Aw man, now it really looks like my arena will never be used. I'd like a dorf, I can't commit to a turn but that might change, give me a ninjask (or in absence of ninjask or ninjask related, just give me some kind of bug type). I remember making myself a bartender at some point(?), or brewer will do until bartender is available.

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Might start tonight, depending on how things go! Unless we want to wait for more dorfs, perhaps?

EDIT: Unfortunately got preoccupied tonight, so I will be starting tomorrow!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 10:03:04 pm by RedMageCole »

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

RedMageCole withdraws from society...

I remember the day I withdrew from Goldsilver. It was not too long after my announcement to the fortress that I was going to try to do my best to stay with the fort. Be a better dwarf, so to say. I loved Pokémon and I loved most of the dwarves I was surrounded with in society. But as fate would have it, some miserable god took hold of me, screaming at me about things like my future, my expectations in society, and my failures to do what was right. I didn't understand any of it. It drove me mad as I tried to figure out what I was supposed to do. I pleaded with this god to let me go see everyone. To stop letting me live this life in fear.

It wasn't so merciful.

So I worked. And worked. To try to get this pressuring god off of my back. It was like a Hydreigon; cut one head off, three more grow in its place... was that even possible? Was that a thing? I don't know anymore. I could never get myself out of this tantrum spiral... and before I knew it, I was a hermit, essentially dead to the fortress.

I spent my time playing these little games with myself; I'd carve small characters on the walls, and come up with fake creatures that weren't Pokémon, kind of similar to that strange Badger we encountered back in Pocketball. It kept me entertained, and sane. But I had lost myself. I had forgotten who I was.

Before long, in my solitude, I saw a picture slipped under my door; the door I had kept boarded shut to the point I didn't even think there was a slot underneath to slip anything through it. I almost had forgotten anyone else was there. I looked at the picture... and there it was. Suddenly, I remembered who I was.

I was RedMageCole. Pokémon Scholar. And my favorite Pokémon was Mimikyu. And that favorite Pokémon of mine was staring me right in the face with a little wave, in an artstyle I fondly recalled from some of my favorite engravings on the wall.

I threw open the door, and the weight of my actions was apparent. I had heard of this plague... FPS Death. And no one was there to greet me.

But I knew I had to keep going. I had to find the ones I had abandoned and make amends with them. Then... we would start a new fortress. One stronger than the last. One that shone brighter than the last ruby in existence, and preserving an integrity greater than the first sapphire in the world.

With barely any supplies to my name, I set out... for Rubysapphire.

Ruby? Sapphire? Thinking about it, are those real words or did I just imagine them?... Eh, I'll just call it something similar. I think they're a red and blue gem respectively, so I'll call this... uh... Redgem the... Blue-Gem. Yep.

7th Granite, Early Spring

Ah-ha! I have found the spot we will embark on! It's... less than satisfactory, and it will undoubtedly contain more horrors similar to before... but that is why we will show the world what we are made of!... I'm honestly not even sure if this is the same continent we were on before, to be honest... but that doesn't matter! I will find all of my old friends, and we will conquer all of the Pokémon of this land!

12th Granite, Early Spring

It's... A miracle, to be honest. I didn't honestly expect to find any old faces... to be honest, I was being overly optimistic in my last entry. Internally, I thought I'd never see them again... and yet I did. The old friend who I knew drew that picture for me... he reintroduced himself to me as Opuntia. I respectfully called him by his new name, of course. And by him... MottledPetrel! I was so, very thankful to see two old faces again... and I knew we would find more. Somewhere. Somehow.

19th Granite, Early Spring

On the way to Redgem the Blue-Gem, we encountered four more dwarves that we convinced to join our cause. None from our old crew... but that was fine, we'll manage for now. On the way, we managed to catch some Pokémon. Opuntia caught a nearby Miltank, and I caught a Venusaur; it was no Mimikyu, but it'd do. Petrel wanted a Ninjask, but unfortunately I couldn't really find one... I did catch him a Galvantula, however; hopefully he'd be just as pleased with it, it's still a Bug-type.

Just in case, I caught a few rare Pokemon too; notably some of the starters. I caught a Mudkip, Torchic, Treecko, Litten, Rowlet, and... Froakie. I know it's supposed to be Popplio, but... couldn't find a Popplio for some reason.

Our supplies were meager, but decent. Now that we were all together and coming up on our destination, I need us to have a banner, something we can unite under...

I got about ten seconds into drawing the second Mimikyu when Petrel looked over me and asked if I could do something non-Mimikyu this time. I sighed and tried my best. I'm somewhat useless when it comes to physical labor, so I might as well try to do this right, damn it!

It was either I had at least one Mimikyu in the background or no Mimikyu at all. At least Groudon and Kyogre wielding swords is pretty badass, I think.

21st Granite, Early Spring

We've arrived.

Huh, I don't remember catching an Avalugg or a Mamoswine. Oh well, they fit well with this cold climate.

We embarked with three miners, so they immediately set off to do what they do best; mine. We want to get inside as quickly as possible so we have some warmth in the caves. At the same time, I designate our only woodcutter to cut wood. Me, Opuntia and Petrel just kind of... sit there, waiting, not having much to do.

Petrel eventually just goes and collects plants to set up some brewing later, a good call. I then remember I need to train my Venusaur, so I go do that. Miltanks are docile and not for war or hunting training, so Opuntia just gets assigned to... train. Petrel hopefully will get to his Galvantula later. The other Pokemon are all up for grabs, if anyone would like them; just let me know, I'm just sitting on this wagon.

27th Granite, Early Spring

Success!

Now I can slack off and do nothing!

5th Slate, Mid Spring

...One of the miners just tapped me on the back. Huh? Nobody's managing the farm? Well, someone's certainly got farming duty, right? Obviously!... What? Nobody does?

grumble grumble

I do manage to rope Petrel into joining me for farming however, as he is officially designated as a 'Farmer'. Don't worry, Petrel, we can eventually pass all this slave labor off to the new migrants when they come.

On the plus side, our main interior for now is complete! Miners are currently mining out the food supply chamber for later, too!

10th Slate, Mid Spring

I was starting to complain about not having buckets to give water, so I took it upon myself to dabble in carpentry and make a carpenter's workshop near the entrance; it's shoddy, but I am a jack of all trades, I like to think.

The food supply chamber has also been finished, and connected to the farm for easy access.

21st Slate, Mid Spring

There are three buildings we need for Pokémon training; a Pokémon Center, an Evolution Chamber, and a Trimming Table. I get on the table for the Trimming Table, and I get one of the miners to take up masonry and make blocks for the Pokémon Center, while another learns mechanics.

Also, Petrel got around to training his Galvantula.

5th Felsite, Late Spring

That's... er... not a Galvantula.

I'm not sure what happened there; the textures must be borked, so now that Galvantula is... whatever the heck that is. Even though my Venusaur looks fine. Weird.

7th Felsite, Late Spring

Oh, that's a Galvantula!

I guess it must have just changed into whatever that was while standing on the farm plots. Not sure why, but at least it works? Somewhat?

Also, the Pokémon Center and Evolution Chambers are finished! Now I just have to figure out these new things I learned about called Poké Balls... they're supposed to be more efficient than cages, I think?

9th Felsite, Late Spring

While I get on trying to figure out what to make Poké Balls out of, I set the miners to mining to try to find some metals, I have an inkling they may be made out of metals. I found out the launchers can be made in the forge, but... where the heck are the balls made?

15th Felsite, Late Spring

Found 'em!

Now to find some copper or some iron, and we're in business!

...Or that works! We can make Premier Balls! Just someone's gonna have to fire up the forge...

...I start burning wood, Petrel fires up the furnace, and Opuntia prepares to start making the balls.

In the meantime, we've found Galena (50% chance of silver which we already have native silver for and lead, which makes Heavy Balls; works better on heavy Pokémon) and Sphalerite (zinc, makes no balls). We need copper or iron or something to make the ball launchers, so we're in a bit of trouble.

25th Felsite, Late Spring

Or maybe not!

I look around. I see... what the hell is that?

Didn't the Evolution Chamber have something about Z-Power? That must be what Z-Power is. I want Z-Power.

...I haven't found any iron or copper-giving ores, though. Shit. This is not good and I am panicking and panicking is not good. Opuntia encourages me to try doing stonecrafting to see if that calms my nerves. I do that. Maybe we can trade them for balls. Maybe.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It appears cages are going to be prevalent here, next migrant wave, dorf me as whoever, if they are going to train pokemon it would be preferably a psychic type when one of those becomes available

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Holy heck, your art has really improved since Goldsilver, I love it!

I love my Venusaur and that Litten is killing me with cuteness (and I think you did Froakie very well!)

Also in response to Scourge, we have Pokeballs now but in the next update so far I've realized I have no idea how to properly use them so we probably will be doing a lot of cages

Paddywagon Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This fort looks great, but it sorely lacks... a baroness.

Slade Traction Bench mandates inbound, my friends!

(and sign me up for an overseer slot)

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

YESSSS

Good to have you back! We're having a reunion over here!

rainbowdashfanboi84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

id like to be in this if you please I....will not play in secession but I wont mind being a soldier character with either a scyther a hitmonchan or hitmonlee or any fire type 

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1st Hematite, Early Summer

I've been working on the railroad... all the livelong day...

Opuntia and I keep working on stone crafts to try and get something from traders, since we're definitely going to need some form of iron or copper for ball launchers if we can't find any in the mines. After the miners finish getting the gem I've designated as 'Normalium Z', I have them go dig deeper.

3rd Hematite, Early Summer

A new face!

Nobody can replace Opuntia as military obviously, but I still have the miners dig out some guest rooms as a side project.

...Wait... this month is Hematite? Hematite...

WHEN THE HELL DID WE FIND HEMATITE!?

I go scouring the whole map for wherever the hell we found hematite, before I just decided to ask Petrel to go locate it with his smelting skills.

...twitch, twitch

it was... right there... in the entrance of our mine... literally under my nose... right there... you can even see petrel's still right there... right... THERE...

5th Hematite, Early Summer

Opuntia managed to calm me down before I got too angry. Thankfully, we have iron now. And silver so we can have the iron separate from the silver in terms of ball and launcher making. I have the miners forget about the human and dig out more hematite.

Not that we needed to make her room; she's staying with us anyway! But you got a mistake, buddy; we're CAPTURING monsters, not KILLING them. Unless they're trying to kill us, then go for it. I approve her request.

7th Hematite, Early Summer

While gathering hematite, we found this thing!

Apparently, it extends the use of Hail when we have a Pokémon with Hail. I'm not sure if we have one of those, but hey, it's nice for when we do have one.

11th Hematite, Early Summer

OH NO a wild Bergmite appeared!

We gotta save the Litten! I draft the human and Opuntia immediately to save the Litten! SAVE THE LITTEN!

The Bergmite do start to leave the Litten alone, but the Litten is a little shit... maybe it wasn't the Litten who need saving after all...

15th Hematite, Early Summer

Er... Opuntia?

I left Opuntia's sword outside, and now he's too afraid of the Bergmite to get it. Er...

16th Hematite, Early Summer

OH GOD OH JESUS OH ARCEUS

There goes our woodcutter, oh god I'm gonna be sick...

At this point I tell Opuntia to just get back inside, the Litten got away safely so the rest of us should stay safe. Opuntia agrees and rushes inside faster than light.

Those Bergmite have another thing coming...

18th Hematite, Early Summer

Of course, this Litten doesn't give a shit about some dwarf's head exploding on contact.

24th Hematite, Early Summer

I keep watching this sadistic Litten biting the everloving shit out of these Bergmite, then leaving, then immediately coming back as if to tease them that she was done with them, then coming back for more. This Litten is nuts.

I'm so enamored with this sadistic Litten that I'm taking her in.

25th Hematite, Early Summer

The balls are almost done, so I designate hunters to gear up...

...and I make a military outfit for in case I want automatic ball throwing, too. I mark myself as the leader.

3rd Malachite, Mid-Summer

Every challenge along the way, with courage I will face...

I will battle every day... to claim my rightful place...

Come with me! The time is right! There's no better team!

Arm in arm, we'll win the fight! It's always been our dreaaaam!

PokemoOOH GOD I FORGOT MY POKEBALL LAUNCHER

We're sticking to cages.

That, or I really haven't done this in a long time. It has been that long, huh? Huh.

Note to self: Don't get ambitious with catching the critters.

9th Malachite, Mid-Summer

Show off, why don't you? Jerk.

So I'm a ghost now, waiting for migrants to arrive so I can possess and become one of them. I have Opuntia designated the new expedition leader, figuring it's the least I can do for dragging him into that suicide mission. I have the others hurriedly make a hospital for Opuntia as well.

14th Malachite, Mid-Summer

Get better soon...

24th Malachite, Mid-Summer

...Huh.

Looks like I've been avenged... somehow?

Not sure how, but... what the heck, I'll take it.

27th Malachite, Mid-Summer

When I came to, I was in a field. I couldn't recognize where I was, but I seemed to be surrounded by dwarves that I didn't recognize in the slightest.

There were only four dwarves, but there was also an Incineroar, a Quilava, and a Mudkip. As I came to, I saw the Incineroar and Quilava run up, along with one of the dwarves. A familiar voice spoke to me...

"Sigun? Sigun!"

...That voice... It was the voice of a high and mighty baroness who needed to get her way...

"...Paddywagon Man?"

Paddywagon Man hung over me, looking into my eyes, before widening them.

"...RedMageCole?"

As we travelled forward, Paddywagon Man told me about their exploits; how they had heard of my new attempt to revive Goldsilver, and yet, why was I here? I had to explain myself to Paddywagon Man and how I realized I didn't know how to launch a Pokeball, and now I got reincarnated. Paddywagon Man was confused for a second.

"Why did you get reincarnated as a woman, though?"

I paused.

...So that's why my chest was so heavy.

...Oh well.

As we rearrived to Redgem the Blue-Gem, I was introduced to two of Paddywagon Man's cohorts; along with her Incineroar and Quilava, she had with her rainbowdashfanboi84, and scourge728 with his Mudkip. Strange names, but... eh. I'm just happy to get back to work.

I reintroduce myself into the fort, get back my Venusaur and Litten, and most of all, apologize to Opuntia for our suicide mission.

rainbowdashfanboi84 wanted to learn how to go into the military, so I enlisted him into the military under Opuntia. Once Opuntia was back in working order, they could train together; I plan to have an area dug out for their barracks. Also, rainbowdashfanboi84 was asking about fire types, so I happily let him take the Torchic under his wing.

1st Limestone, Early Autumn

Sorry that I didn't update much in terms of pictures for the last month; it was a lot of busywork.

We got the refuse and corpse pile mined out, we got a lot more iron mined out, we made a butcher shop and a trade depot, and things are going well. I plan to try and start smelting some of the zinc ore we got to make some cage traps. Hopefully we can recover from that Gallade travesty.

Hopefully I can, for sure.

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Foolish, foolish me! I forgot you were a Macedwarf, thankfully I shall fix it with haste and make sure you get a better weapon, curse my memory!

Also goddamn that female me is so utterly adorable I'm keeping myself as a female now

As always, wonderful drawings! (Even though the Gallade scares me...)

Paddywagon Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah my gender changed with just about every incarnation, as if my baroness title alongside the "Man" in my name wasn't confusing enough!

You'll get used to it RedMageCole

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

Posting to watch - Enjoying it so far and eager to go back and look at Pocketball.

Would love to be Dorfed - anyone is okay, though I love the name Meng.

rainbowdashfanboi84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

......ill take that litten thank you very much (picks it up and walks away with it giving it headpats and talking about giving it some milk can be heard as he walks away)

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

......ill take that litten thank you very much (picks it up and walks away with it giving it headpats and talking about giving it some milk can be heard as he walks away)

*smacks your hand away*

The Trainer blocked the Ball!
Don't be a thief!

I gave you a Torchic, you leave my Litten be before it claws your face off. >:C
And that Litten doesn't even drink milk, it drinks blood.

2nd Limestone, Early Autumn

OH COME ON WE JUST STARTED

Paddywagon Man's Incineroar does not look pleased.

There was a third one named Kitlayldin that I didn't care to redo screenshots for, as well. As usual for kobolds, they piss off immediately.

3rd Limestone, Early Autumn

Now I have a present for Opuntia when he gets out of the hospital!

Also, I was recently made aware that one of the miners wanted to be referred to as 'Meng' from now on. Alright.

15th Limestone, Early Autumn

That's... strange indeed.

I realize we forgot to get bins, so I swiftly have some bins made so we can get our crafts traded.

There's a nearby Glaceon that the traders have some fun messing with in the meantime, causing it to scamper.

19th Limestone, Early Autumn

A wild... Troll appeared?

Whatever is in the cave, the human pikeman has it taken care of.

28th Limestone, Early Autumn

While waiting for our goods to be binned, look! Migrants!

A Brewer, Animal Trainer, Bowyer, Milker, Siege Engineer, and a Miller.
And the Pokemon; an Oshawott owned by the Bowyer, and a Braixen owned by the Miller.

5th Sandstone, Mid-Autumn

We finally trade; I grab some of my coveted parchment sheets, a Froakie, a Litten, a Chikorita, a Nosepass, a Dewott, a Serperior, some food and some drinks, and traded our crafts for them. Since rainbowdashfanboi84 made a big show of trying to steal my Litten, I tossed (quite literally) the one we just got at him. I also take the Froakie for myself; the rest are up for grabs.

13th Sandstone, Mid-Autumn

Managed to set up a proper 'junk' stockpile full of our finished goods, furniture and whatnot.

24th Sandstone, Mid-Autumn

I've started work on putting a roof over our little cave! That way, the Grass-type Pokemon grazing outside won't get snowed on.

16th Timber, Late Autumn

A wild Mismagius appeared!

Go, Treecko and Serperior!

Mismagius is a very dodgy bastard, unfortunately.

Ack, a direct hit!

Well, it was nice having it while it lasted... but that isn't even my Pokemon! Now, you face the power of what a trained Pokemon can do! Go, Venusaur!

And our Serperior is avenged.

21st Timber, Late Autumn

Introducing Lilacpad the Dances (name based on Ludicolo), our tavern! It's very meager at the moment, but it should provide entertainment in the future! If anyone would like to be a tavern keeper or performer, let me know.

1st Moonstone, Early Winter

So much to do, so little time...

I'm hoping we have the roof done by the end of the winter, or better yet, mid-winter. Making a bridge as well so we can stop potential invaders in their tracks. I'm hoping we finish up all my other stuff, so that the next overseer can have an easy time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9