Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Pokémon Succession Fortress of Redgem The Blue-Gem (OVERSEERS WANTED!)  (Read 24678 times)

Paddywagon Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pokémon Succession Fortress of Redgem The Blue-Gem (OVERSEERS WANTED!)
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2019, 11:16:44 am »

I just had a turn so I won't be taking it, but could you send me the save? Curious to see how we can handle this siege business.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2019, 12:29:03 pm »

its on my last turn paddy
i think the best stratedgy would be to funnel them to zygarde to massacre then go on clean up
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
  • My sole interest is uncovering the truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2019, 07:32:23 pm »

Zygarde funneling is a possibility, true.

Can we also confirm that the siege will 100% happen? Or will savescumming perhaps lower the chances? (Not sure if that's still how it works)

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2019, 04:37:36 am »

After testing and reading the raws and wiki I can confirm the following:

1. The siege will 100% happen on the 3rd. We didn't get any until my reign because we never had any children in the fort that to be snatched.

2. The siege make up will vary. I had one run without any gobbos on foot which was !!Fun!!

3. Opuntia, rainbow, etur and myself are all strong enough with exceptional and masterwork steel now to break entire squads of goblins by ourselves but we still die easily to arrows. More importantly, it seems the archers are the main enemies, we seem to be able to crush anything in melee through Zygarde or a good old martial trance

4. Zygarde can and will be killed if its caught in the open though the siege will leave afterwards but it takes at least 2 squads of archer gobbos and a good melee squad of goblins ot hold it still enough to bleed out. Melee goblins struggle to do much damage to Zygarde since its got scales made of slade

5. very few trolls seem to be coming. Over 7 sieges of testing, I only saw an average of 8 per siege.

6. Our crossbowdwarves have a habit of emptying their quivers then going and grabbing more bolts from the battlefield rather than the ammo stockpiles. Twits.

7. We apparently get goblin poets invading

8. By shutting the drawbridge, the trolls end up caught in cage traps first thereby stopping the goblins where they stand.
This is beneficial as I have noticed that when the wildlife comes close, the voltorbs...tend to hurt the gobbos as much as themselves. By leaving them outside they keep hurting their own forces

9. If the gobbos can't get in, they do get bored and leave after a while without fighting

Finally, I did some testing and even with invader caps and even the invader flag turned off, the siege still starts. not sure if I'm missing something or its just too late to disable this siege.
We do have an illegal way of smashing it to pieces though- the exterminate function in DFhack to execute all gobbos, beak dogs, trolls etc
For now I'm going to keep testing and see why this flag isnt working as it should.

Edit: Ok, I have good news and bad news. The good news is for future sieges we can change the files. Tested this afternoon with invaders and caps on and no invaders. No invaders worked wonderfully even after I incited war with the elves. 2 years of gameplay and no invasion of goblin, elf etc.
Capped invaders were a bit more finicky, not all species were restricted. gobbos and beak dogs were

Bad news: we can't do shit about this siege, its already loaded in. We're gonna have to take it on somehow

Whichever solution we go for, if for the future we are restricting numbers, then we need to do it now. I can make a new save with the D_init altered
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 09:23:40 am by recon1o6 »

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2019, 01:00:51 pm »

Alright, no more delaying. I'm going to try to take up the mantle and take down this siege.

Give me a day or two to do this. I might just take half of a turn unless I do find the free time in between my university schedule, but I will try to get us through that siege, or die trying.

Wish me luck!

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2019, 01:44:29 pm »

Good luck!
I sincerely hope I don't end up killed...I'm rather invested at this point

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2019, 10:44:30 pm »

I'm really sorry guys, I let you all down.

Preparing to move into university has stressed me out so much I've been unable to figure out the siege, and I finally sat down to do it, and my laptop's arrow keys are glitching out; I can't turn off the Mouse Keys for some reason and I can't reliably scroll through stuff, and it's driving me insane.

I can't take the file, I really need someone else to do it. I'm really sorry about this.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2019, 03:17:46 am »

Its not a problem Cole ^^ don't worry about the siege, focus on moving and hopefully your laptops fine ;n;.

Opuntia, that art is adorable!

If nobody minds, I'm going to have a crack at the siege. I know I just had my turn but given the circumstances its the least I could attempt

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2019, 12:00:13 pm »

Thank you so much, guys ;u; Female!Me put an equally happy smile on my face as always

Thankfully my laptop is fine, just weirdly glitchy in that aspect, hopefully I can figure out a fix so I can actually play games that use the arrow keys. And I'll be moving in six days, just been a lot of packing and preparing, but hopefully once I get situated and get into the class schedule, I'll be fine!

I wish you luck with the siege as well, thanks so much for taking over for me.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2019, 04:05:43 pm »

ok guys

GREAT NEWS: THE SIEGE IS OVER AFTER 3 DAYS

really weird thing just happened and I kid you not, but the siege showed up, fought and killed two of our soldiers (who props to them, managed to off several sableye they brought and got a few more invaders killed because they led them to some traps)

Zygarde came out, shot a few of them with thousand arrows and a war torracat set the ground on fire on the hill. Between the smoke, the traps and Zygarde

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The siege suddenly lifted only 3 days after it started???

Zygarde even went back into its pasture while the goblins fled!

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14491

whoever the next overseer is, you start your turn on day 8 of the new year. Also I checked the d_init file, any future invasions should be restricted to a managable 30/30
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 05:33:45 am by recon1o6 »

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2019, 08:42:20 pm »

Wow, that's... Honestly pretty sweet. Nice.

SQman, if you wanna take over, do you want me to edit the graphics so that it's ASCII and not Meph? I should be able to tweak it if you'd like.

Paddywagon Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2019, 12:37:45 am »

So this seems to be dying. But... I have a weird idea that just might work.

For those of you into D&D or similar tabletop RPGs, there is a game system called PTU - Pokemon Tabletop United. It's remarkably well-made, actually! I expected some crappy fan game but it's really well done. If any of you guys want to take our Pokemon Dwarf Fortress adventures into an RPG, I'd be happy to Game Master for you. I asked Opuntia already, but figured it would make more sense to get a game going with just this gang here than with one DF dude and some random other people I know.

PM me it you're interested! I don't think I'd want to take more than four or maybe five, I'd be giving priority to long-time Pocketball faces but I'd happily take anybody.

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2019, 11:20:51 pm »

Never did get to do D&D or just any tabletop in general, I'd be down! Just got settled into university, so I'll be good to do so!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 12:34:28 pm by RedMageCole »

Paddywagon Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 01, 2019, 12:54:03 am »

I'd be happy to do a four man gang then, so one more (after Opuntia who already said yeah).

How would you guys like to do this then? Do any of you use Discord? Since playing by Bay12 posts might be a little inefficient.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9