Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324]

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2155412 times)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4845 on: September 29, 2022, 05:37:07 pm »

Practicality of playing on a 16-16 map. With all the code updates for the big release as well as future updates, will the game ever be able to be played on a full 16-16 map? It would be a unique challenge making minecarts much more necessary. It is something I would really like to do.

even if it was incredibly well optimised, even with the best hardware on the planet - i don't think it'll ever be possible to run df at that kind of scale, and certainly not with a living world. it's just too big.

a more reasonable hope might be that you can have a few extra tiles - say 4x4 to 5x5 - and a slightly larger world / longer history.

I'm thinking it might work if the map rewrite will allow for flatter embarks, where only the surface layers are loaded. Though 16x16 is very large yet. 

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: September 29, 2022, 06:26:24 pm »

The Dwarf Fortress year consists of 12 equal Months... But there are actually precisely 13 Lunar Cycles in each year. Is there any particular reason why these numbers don't match?
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: Today at 02:55:15 am »

The Dwarf Fortress year consists of 12 equal Months... But there are actually precisely 13 Lunar Cycles in each year. Is there any particular reason why these numbers don't match?
Presumably because it's a simplified approximation of how things are on Earth in the real world, where the lunar cycles don't match a year at all, offsetting them from both the months and the year.
Adjusting things such that the lunar cycles actually match a year is nice from a mathematical neatness standpoint, and it also removes the need to calculate them, as a pre calculated table can be used instead, saving on a few CPU cycles.

Practicality of playing on a 16-16 map. With all the code updates for the big release as well as future updates, will the game ever be able to be played on a full 16-16 map? It would be a unique challenge making minecarts much more necessary. It is something I would really like to do.
Adding onto the previous responses: Only time will tell how playable it will be. There's also the issue of how low an FPS you consider "playable".
I would expect it to be possible to run it in the sense that it won't crash, assuming you have enough memory (the sum of physical and virtual).

A 16*16 embark, or even larger (assuming the post rewrite sizes remain approximately the same as the current one) might be an interesting test case in a release test suite though, embarking in a minimum size world. Embark, do some standard post embark stuff, and, if the performance is acceptable, do a lot of digging to increase the amount of map loaded. Verify that it doesn't crash and no weird stuff is observed.
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324]