Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389]

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851342 times)

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5820 on: March 22, 2024, 05:09:04 pm »

1. In addition to healing potions will there be any other types of potions?
2. Years ago, ThreeToe's storys hinted as magical corruption being a possibility in the myth and magic arc, will that be coming in the new small updates format?
3. Will the player adventurer in the coming updates possibly gain paths to having more magical abilities like the necromancers and undead lieutenants have?
4. In some generated worlds will it be possible for the player to invoke a deity's powers by talking to them if they are in their favor enough? Possibility with the risk of incurring their wrath and getting cursed?
5. Will new divine curses be on the table for the coming updates?
6. When will the new forum be set up? I am of the understanding this may be one of the last future of the fortress question responses this site has.

LanLan

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Dreamin' of Space
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: March 25, 2024, 03:21:17 am »

When it comes to the healing methods you're implementing with the adventure mode release, how varied are they? Like, is it just a difference in ingredients, or are they going to distinguish between ingested/topical potions, and will healing sometimes have negative consequences?

Also, when you referred to 'killing the Big Wait dead,' does that mean updates are gonna be bringing features that would've otherwise been separated into arcs into the game independently of those arcs, or are the arcs still going to be a thing, but we'll see features of those arcs rolled out bit-by-bit?

Finally, will there be an option to auto-generate an adventure mode character?

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: March 25, 2024, 06:25:04 am »

1. In addition to healing potions will there be any other types of potions?
2. Years ago, ThreeToe's storys hinted as magical corruption being a possibility in the myth and magic arc, will that be coming in the new small updates format?
3. Will the player adventurer in the coming updates possibly gain paths to having more magical abilities like the necromancers and undead lieutenants have?
4. In some generated worlds will it be possible for the player to invoke a deity's powers by talking to them if they are in their favor enough? Possibility with the risk of incurring their wrath and getting cursed?
6. When will the new forum be set up? I am of the understanding this may be one of the last future of the fortress question responses this site has.

WRT#6: This is new to me; I'd very much like a source on that, myself?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: March 25, 2024, 12:08:22 pm »

snip

Quote from: adventuremode question
3. You can already raise companions up as intelligent undead by seizing the secrets of life and death for yourself, and control them in your party in ver 47.05's tactical swapping mode, i imagine this transfers over to 50. naturally. More powers relies on their implementation, and whether its a role that you could possibly attain (like being the head of a monastary, hypothetically getting some boon from that) but i don't think anything's been explicity said on that front since.
Quote from: magic-arc questions
2. Its been a long time since the stories, but from a general compilation of Toady's replies i think it could be highly circumstantial to the kind of fantasy worm-man world that is generated per the fantasy setup scaler. You could have a world more akin to DnD where you are simply tired and need some time to pass/run out of mana or the like or like you say, more hard consequences like the tree-lady where your life and freedom is on the line. That's my impression anyway.

4. Again a little bit of abstraction between the magic arc and the adventure arc which aren't to my knowledge riding inside the same carriage from their long journey across the big wait. Though you can already pray in 47.05's adventure mode and invoke the wrath of the god by testing their patience at the dice atop of shrines.

5. New would imply 'more', but toady has expressed a interest of curbing the turtling via placing curses before in FotF, so you might be in luck getting a reply if the brothers have cooked up any new ways to punish the player.
Quote from: forum question
6. Like silverwing id like to know if this is has a source. It would be a pity because a lot of history resides here including important milestones of folly (the most infamous events of DF, shaping its development history like the infamous mermaid farm) and fort design secrets and science, as well as DFFD mod-page urls. The steam forums serve as a adequate but its not quite as orderly or technical, being very new.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: March 26, 2024, 03:35:27 am »

Still, it's the first time ever Toady hasn't made a FotF reply, for the 1st of March. But I suppose there is a lot of work for April release, so it's understandable.
The game has changed, anyway. We have to accept it, it's for the best, for everybody.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5825 on: March 26, 2024, 05:50:38 am »

Toady said he likes the FotF Q&As in the most recent Blind interview. I don't think we need to worry about them being discontinued.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: March 26, 2024, 08:45:17 am »

Here's a link to the part of the interview where there's a mention of forum & FotF stuff:

30:05 Forums, Future of the fortress and dev pages

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: March 26, 2024, 11:55:15 am »

To be fair I think the bigger reason why he didn't was because the forums were completely out-of-commission for the beginning of March.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5828 on: March 27, 2024, 10:41:47 am »

(yeah forum being down + GDC + beta deadline just messed with my rhythm, Q&A will continue!)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: March 27, 2024, 01:46:52 pm »

@eerr : I think not. Because in most roguelike game, there is a "goal", and numeric representation are here to tell you how much of this you've done.
Here, there is no goal. So how to measure anything ?
The only thing you can measure is your skill evolution.

Roguelikes have scores. It's actually kind of an important part of the Roguelike experience to have scores? Nethack has a score, Angband has a score, and you can't get more Roguelike than those. Even if you look at modern stuff, Noita, Slay the Spire, the Binding of Isaac all have score.

...But all those games are actually structured like a roguelike, while DF adventure mode is kinda more wearing the skin of one, at least for now. But, like, Minecraft is much the same way, and also has a score. So I guess my point is, ain't nothing wrong with a score, necessarily.

Asking more technical rather than game content related questions:

1. Given the recent tooling changes around how you build DF (eg version control, multiple branches) what do you think has changed in the way you think about development thanks to this new tooling? What has it enabled in your mind that you previously thought might be too difficult to tackle?

2. Follow up on the tooling, what other interesting tools or patterns have you considered or looked into? what about unit tests? fuzz testing? c++20 concepts?

I've used C++20 concepts semi-recently but GCC generally has a few problems with certain C++20 features, especially if we want to let people run the game on older Linux distros (we're incompatible with Ubuntu 18, which is actually kind of a disaster). I've written things with views on reflex then had to replace them with other stuff a few times already, haha.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: March 28, 2024, 04:22:01 am »

(No green questions from me at the moment. I was just using the forum search to try to figure the status of keyboard controls)
So I'm dipping back into DF, and haven't been able to parse a clear answer to this out of the previous FotF replies:

What is the state of keyboard control in DF and what plans are there for it going forward?

Here's the latest from Toady. You can read a little bit before this quote in this thread for some context (if you've already read this, sorry haha!).

Keyboard stuff:  There was some confusion over in the linked suggestions thread above and elsewhere about hotkeys etc., and generally I should clarify the different pieces of keyboard support and where we are at:

For hotkeys, I'll have to move some of them, since I can't assume we have a numberpad and wasd has to camp out over on the left side of the keyboard forever, but hotkeys for opening and using menus seems pretty easy to support.  We do have to show them to the player somehow.  Tooltips are one typical way, and there could be some layer that draws them under buttons as well (I guess some games have done, like, holding 'alt' for this kind of thing.)

For designations, I think the wasd+mouse combination can handle some things that people aren't giving it credit for (long tunnels etc.), and camera keys also work for doing up/down staircases.  But we've listened to the feedback here, and a cursor mode is easy to support, since most of the code is sitting around for it and we already have cursor graphics.  We just have to make sure new people don't get stuck in there.

For menu navigation, missing the numberpad and our old (sometimes inconsistent and annoying) methods of scrolling put us in a bind in some cases.  Focus and button use etc. probably can't be the same between the various menus, because they are quite different from each other.  Though I think, as with the Classic display and adventure mode, the main issue here is time.  I see the pathway through for Classic/adventure stuff though, so it's easy to commit to doing those in as timely a fashion as possible after launch if that's the way we go.  With a few of the menus, I'm not sure how much work it'd take.

We read through all of the comments and take them seriously, even the negative ones - there's no need to be rude or assume the worst.  We're going to try to address issues and we think things are going to turn out well, but everything just takes time.

Don't expect it immediately and don't expect it to be as comprehensive as it was. Those of us who cared dropped the ball because Toady didn't think anyone did.
It's good to hear that the some keyboard controls will come back in the future. I've been playing 50.12 classic and I miss the keyboard controls. I liked viewing workshops with q, designating with keyboard, and k (I think) to view tiles and units.
I think I read somewhere else in the thread that the key-bindings will be different which is completely fine. I'm just primarily hoping for additional keyboard features to supplement the mouse controls.
I also hope in the future there will be a way to view the tile attributes again.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Vaelwyn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: March 28, 2024, 07:49:16 am »

Hello Toady !

Hope you're doing well, very exited for the release of adventure mode on steam next month !

I have two questions for you:

1. I've been doing some research on the dwarf fortress wiki in preparation for the release and came across a list of power goals. It was very interesting to read, I understand that list is quite old and no longer up to date, but do these power goals still reflect your long-term vision of the game ?

2. More specifically, one of these goals mention the posibility for the live adventurer to have a wife, children and play our heir after death or retirement. It would leed to some amazing stories ! Is this feature still planed ?

I wish you all the best for the release of adventure mode, cheers !  :D

ShiraKage

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: March 28, 2024, 09:28:57 am »

Super excited for the adventure mode update! Now we watched the second part of the combat video and saw chopped off limbs flying around gruesomely. So, I have some questions:

Will chopped off limbs have different sprites instead of classic ''flesh and bone'' sprites? Additionally, will we see visible injuries in characters' sprites without looking at the portraits? Seeing missing arms or legs would be cool! And minimal injuries wouldn't be shown at all or shown as a single red dot on the sprite.

Also, When I was looking at creatures on wiki, I saw that Nightwings don't have tails even though dwarves like them for their long tails. I think the error is occured because one and only nightwing drawing has no tail (And apparently they have ''tail'' part in combat menu). Is it gonna be fixed?

Thank you for your hardworks!!
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389]