Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 39

Author Topic: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.11 Edition!)  (Read 410366 times)

globbo128

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Be rad, not sad!
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (0.47.05 Edition!)
« Reply #405 on: November 02, 2022, 12:13:19 pm »

havent really been keeping up with Steam version all too much, but after looking at the screenshots provided on this page, i noticed that the keyboard mapping seems to be different from the free version!
will there be anyway to use a legacy keyboard layout, or any custom button mapping in general?
worlds worst dorf player

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 02, 2022, 01:36:44 pm »

-Removed By Poster-
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 11:57:13 pm by ☼Obsidian Short Sword☼ »
Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

BlueManedHawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Does you is not can the have the yet what do it be
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 02, 2022, 01:48:41 pm »

Unfortunately, WINE (which proton depends upon) is a somewhat hefty piece of software, so it may still be out of reach for some people.

Hefty how? Many games run faster under Proton than they do in Windows even, and performance impacts are rarely significant in my experience.

What i meant was that WINE itself takes up a lot of storage space.

How do i use sigtext properly?

noirscape

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonic disaster
    • View Profile
    • noirscape.dev
« Reply #408 on: November 03, 2022, 04:03:25 pm »

I'd personally prefer a native Linux port because the version of the game you can download from bay12 right now has a native port. It really comes across as a regression to just backseat that support to wine or proton (both of which have at times introduced performance regressions with updates that you can avoid by having a native port).
don't take the above seriously. This is actually a pretty helpful group of people. Welcome to the insane asylum.

*Urist McEnlightened has been found dead, Enlightenment aneurysm.*

Dushan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 04, 2022, 11:29:02 am »

I hope world gen is still the same, though I don't know what I'll do with out my Therapist.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 04, 2022, 11:41:46 am »

I'd personally prefer a native Linux port because the version of the game you can download from bay12 right now has a native port. It really comes across as a regression to just backseat that support to wine or proton (both of which have at times introduced performance regressions with updates that you can avoid by having a native port).

I'd prefer native Linux as well, but they've said it'll come along eventually, so I'm happy to use Proton in the meantime.

beetlenaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • spacemanDan.net
« Reply #411 on: November 04, 2022, 03:20:26 pm »

I've never used Steam or Proton, so let me see if I understand this right: I run wine, launch Proton in that, launch the Windows version of Steam in that, and launch DF in that?

If so, that's a lot of layers! My computer is plenty fast, but DF is not, so this doesn't sound promising. At least I can make a little fort I guess.

If this is not how it would work, please let me know!

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 04, 2022, 03:51:40 pm »

I've never used Steam or Proton, so let me see if I understand this right: I run wine, launch Proton in that, launch the Windows version of Steam in that, and launch DF in that?

If this is not how it would work, please let me know!

No, it's very simple. You just go into Steam, enter the settings menu, go into the "Steam Play" subtab. You tick that/enable that, and then you can just launch DF (or any other Windows game) as you would any native game (Steam will have to download the files for Proton first though). Proton is a sort of sub-variant of Wine that Steam uses.

Usually, most games "just work" and you never need to think about it after that initial enabling of Steam Play. You can check each game on protondb.com to see how well a given game works. Since DF doesn't have any anticheat, or fancy graphics libraries, I'd be surprised if Proton had any trouble running DF. This looks like it'll be the page to check DF's compatibility on: https://www.protondb.com/app/975370
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 03:53:50 pm by Mr Crabman »

beetlenaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • spacemanDan.net
« Reply #413 on: November 04, 2022, 05:30:02 pm »

No, it's very simple....This looks like it'll be the page to check DF's compatibility.
Oh, I see. Thanks for the instructions and link! I probably could have tracked it all down myself eventually, but I bet you've saved me an hour of frustration.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 05, 2022, 07:26:03 am »

I just saw a video on steam showing the new embark site choosing process, and being able to zoom in and out on the world map + see elevation overlays etc. looks great!

aquatsar17

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 06, 2022, 11:00:49 pm »

havent really been keeping up with Steam version all too much, but after looking at the screenshots provided on this page, I noticed that the keyboard mapping seems to be different from the free version!
Will there be anyway to use a legacy keyboard layout, or any custom button mapping in general?

I recall from either a previous announcement, or perhaps an interview, that keyboard rebinding will be possible. However, it's already possible in the current version of DF to do this (by editing the interface.txt file), so any change in the new version would be a better UI for that kind of rebinding.

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #416 on: November 10, 2022, 12:55:01 pm »

Yay...it's the release announcement!
Oh nooooo...it doesn't apply to me!

I know what I'm doing on Dec. 6th: Crying. Probably literally. I have Linux.

DF is known to run fine via wine/proton so...
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
Team Bug Fix!

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 11, 2022, 04:25:49 am »

Youtube: Kitfox Games Let's Learn Dwarf Fortress Steam Edition - EP1 (and Twitch VOD no longer available)
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 12, 2022, 04:47:09 pm »

Watching the tutorial video is making me want to play so bad. I could go re-install the current version but.....my OCD would kick in and I wouldn't be playing until Monday after getting all the mods I want.

Between this and Darktide releasing within a week of each other, I've got all the games I need for the next year easily.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 39