Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 38

Author Topic: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.11 Edition!)  (Read 398021 times)

Showbiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (0.47.05 Edition!)
« Reply #450 on: December 07, 2022, 05:17:09 am »

I just logged in to say that I've paid, easily, £1000 for this game over the years and I paid for it on Steam, again, and gleefully. I even bought the soundtrack. And I'm Deaf.
This post made me laugh hahaha
People like you are the blood in the veins of Dwarf Fortress.
Pardon for my mistakes
english isn't my native language

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 07, 2022, 08:39:24 am »

"those guys aren't going to buy it, they all despise Steam and are holding out for the free ASCII version - hipsters that they are"
Not that far off. I already bought it, but trying to learn the new interface after committing the old one into muscle memory is about as intuitive as riding a bicycle with rear wheel steering. I'm going back to ASCII as soon as it's out.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 07, 2022, 08:54:25 am »

"those guys aren't going to buy it, they all despise Steam and are holding out for the free ASCII version - hipsters that they are"
Not that far off. I already bought it, but trying to learn the new interface after committing the old one into muscle memory is about as intuitive as riding a bicycle with rear wheel steering. I'm going back to ASCII as soon as it's out.
Even the ASCII version has the new UI design apparently, just not the pretty graphics. You'll need to relearn or stay at 0.47.05 forever.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 07, 2022, 08:59:59 am »

Even the ASCII version has the new UI design apparently, just not the pretty graphics. You'll need to relearn or stay at 0.47.05 forever.
Yep. It's the same game but in ASCII (or with a nice ascii-ish tileset). He's not gonna maintain two different games just for some guys complaining about muscle memory.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 07, 2022, 09:52:06 am »

I was (partly because I'm away from a landline and suitable Windows machine, no point trying to get in at H Hour on D Day while I'm travelling/overnighting and with nothing to actually run the thing on) going to leave it a while before I decided to go for Steam (unlikely, bad historic experiences with them) or Itch (no experience at all, and not even a failed account with them). I'd be happy to support the long-tail, if it already has the big 'head' sorted by the rest of you roustabouts and everyone else who jumped on the wagon to strike that bit of earth...

But it also looks like I'm going to mostly stay off the forum until I get less than two out of every three page-requests go 500 (or worse) on me. I thought it'd be a little better today, but not notably so. And I doubt the overall forum admin has time to attend to that (arrange for a reinforced set of virtual server resources, perhaps) 'cos he's got this other thing going on, right? (Also, there was a blip recorded on https://downdetector.com/status/steam/ - but not sure what timezone that peak time of 11PM actually indicates.)

So once I get this posted (I'm guessing three tries to do so [backpaging to say seven, so far, most being the browser saying the connection was entirely dropped], leaving a respectful time between each Resubmit Data [a good minute or so, don't want to mash it and be the main source of everone else's problems!]) I'm probably keeping away for most of the rest of the day.

Sarai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 07, 2022, 06:10:37 pm »

I was (...) going to leave it a while before I decided to go for Steam (unlikely, bad historic experiences with them) or Itch (no experience at all, and not even a failed account with them).

With your bad Steam experiences, I definitely recommend going the Itch.io route. You also get a Steam key, but the primary benefit is that you get a DLC-free version (just a .zip file, packaged just like we're used to for the free releases), AND Toady and Zach get a higher percentage cut. I think it's something like 10% cut for itch.io vs 30% cut for Steam on Steam direct purchases, even tho the itch.io version also comes with a Steam key.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 06:37:19 pm by Sarai »

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 08, 2022, 02:30:35 am »

"those guys aren't going to buy it, they all despise Steam and are holding out for the free ASCII version - hipsters that they are".

I doubt anyone said or thought that. Tarn and Zack must be ridiculously busy right now. I think it's fair of them to expect that people on the dwarf fortress forums would be aware of the release without requiring an explicit devblog entry when there was one not long ago saying it'd be out in 4 days. They must be swamped right now in ways they didn't imagine.

Yep. It's the same game but in ASCII (or with a nice ascii-ish tileset). He's not gonna maintain two different games just for some guys complaining about muscle memory.

Yeah, this is what I've been waiting to see ever since the steam release and mouse support pivot was announced. I can easily learn a new mouse UI, but I can't forget my baseline ease of use with the now old interface. I will always argue that the interface was fine, the worst thing was the huge non-alphabetized lists. If the new interface turns out to be slower than the old way once I learn it, that would be a constant nagging thing in the back of my mind whenever I play. And in that scenario I can see myself just putting the game to bed and saying goodbye. So I think it's best for me to wait for the classic release and the extra work put into keyboard support that Tarn was only recently reminded some people want to see. Ideally you'll be able to disable the mouse entirely and not lose access to anything, but I don't have high hopes.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.01 Edition!)
« Reply #457 on: December 08, 2022, 03:11:00 am »

There is a "keyboard cursor" option in settings that restores the previous way of doing designations/buildings/whatnot. The only thing missing is a means to navigate menus without the mouse.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 08, 2022, 05:25:29 am »

I always played vanilla ASCII (no tilesets) and never used Therapist (and I've been playing since the very first releases) , so I had some really strong muscle memory. It was strange at first, I even thought I couldn't stand the new version, but I tried and after some hours it's all fine. I still think it could improve, mainly by navigating menus without using the mouse, but its fine as it is.

trib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 08, 2022, 06:39:48 am »

I always played vanilla ASCII (no tilesets) and never used Therapist (and I've been playing since the very first releases) , so I had some really strong muscle memory. It was strange at first, I even thought I couldn't stand the new version, but I tried and after some hours it's all fine. I still think it could improve, mainly by navigating menus without using the mouse, but its fine as it is.

Yeah I played 5 hours yesterday and after the first shock and hiccups, I learned the new hotkeys pretty quick(Played since 2010 with no therapist). Classic version hotkey missclicking only rarely pop up, no where near enough to be annoying. The new system is only slightly slower once you learn the new hotkeys and I bet some of the missing keybindings (lilke for building in workshops) will come back over time.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 06:46:41 am by trib »

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 08, 2022, 07:54:26 am »

DFHack already added mouse support to the old version. If someone pulled that off, it ought to be possible to add keyboard support back to the mouse version.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 08, 2022, 11:46:13 am »

DFHack already added mouse support to the old version. If someone pulled that off, it ought to be possible to add keyboard support back to the mouse version.
There is a "keyboard cursor" option in the settings that... well, does in a sense exactly what you're describing. Where DFHack added mouse support, it switches it back to keyboard. The only thing missing at this point is the ability to navigate menus via keyboard. At that point it should be fully keyboard-navigable.

spikethehobbitmage

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 08, 2022, 07:34:12 pm »

Yeah, I don't intend to play yet either, but I logged onto steam long enough to buy it and then made an itch account to get it there, too. I see it as a meta donation doing my bit to bump the figures and maybe add to hype which might encourage actual new people to buy it. They deserve to be millionaires if anyone does.
Just bought mine in itch, but I'm waiting for the Linux port so I can actually play it. XD

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 09, 2022, 06:55:07 am »

Yeah, I don't intend to play yet either, but I logged onto steam long enough to buy it and then made an itch account to get it there, too. I see it as a meta donation doing my bit to bump the figures and maybe add to hype which might encourage actual new people to buy it. They deserve to be millionaires if anyone does.
Just bought mine in itch, but I'm waiting for the Linux port so I can actually play it. XD

Lots of people are reporting Steam's Proton interpreter is working fine.
Team Bug Fix!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 09, 2022, 04:28:16 pm »

I don't know the state of Mantis yet, so I thought I'd report it here.

The game currently crashes if you remove the zone of a claimed tomb.

Verified in 50.02.

Reproduction (at least on my save):

• Have buriable dwarf.
  • Make and build a coffin.
  • Once built, use the zone paint tool to mark the tomb containing the coffin.
  • Wait for the tomb to be claimed for the dead dwarf. The body doesn't have to be in the coffin.
  • Remove the zone by clicking on the zone removal button (empty set symbol) on the zone's page.
  • Wait a second or two for the crash.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 38