Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 39

Author Topic: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.11 Edition!)  (Read 411631 times)

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.01 Edition!)
« Reply #465 on: December 09, 2022, 04:36:09 pm »

Bought it as soon as I could, and have been learning new muscle memory ever since!
I'm loving it, although I do get some nasty input lag, but I'm putting that down to me playing on Linux using Proton.
And I'm also loving see DF be the number one seller!

There's plenty of folks on my friends list that I'm sure have bought the game because they compulsively buy every big game that comes out, and I'm intrigued to see what they make of it.

Sarai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 09, 2022, 11:39:29 pm »

There's plenty of folks on my friends list that I'm sure have bought the game because they compulsively buy every big game that comes out, and I'm intrigued to see what they make of it.

The number of friends I have that are either vaguely aware of DF or played it years and years ago and loved it but dropped it 'cause of the graphics and UI, but were unaware that it released on steam, is so high. Letting them know that it's both on Steam and way more playable than in the past is what I consider my civic duty at this point.

TheLastVegan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (0.47.05 Edition!)
« Reply #467 on: December 10, 2022, 02:18:12 pm »

Will buy when adventure mode is readded, because at this point I only play that lol.
Yeah I am willing to pay $11 for some bugfixes to adventure mode, and $14 for campsite and companion bugfixes to modded civs. Guaranteed dodge, infinite inventory, infinite attack speed, and modded civs attacking their allies is a bit immersion breaking.

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 11, 2022, 01:32:21 pm »

Where should we be reporting issues with the steam version, or changes we want made?  Are you guys reading the suggestions forum here, or just the steam discussion forum?

Theres issues with even being able to see the text and sprites being too small before I can even try out the steam version in any real capacity. 

Cant play it if I cant really see whats happening because the zoom doesn't go far enough in.  =(

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 11, 2022, 01:54:43 pm »

Goddam at the Steam numbers that Augmented Steam is reporting - between 200k and 500k. If that sticks it's going to be life-changing for our boys. Hopefully they don't go all GRRM.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 11, 2022, 05:08:20 pm »

Where should we be reporting issues with the steam version, or changes we want made?  Are you guys reading the suggestions forum here, or just the steam discussion forum?

Theres issues with even being able to see the text and sprites being too small before I can even try out the steam version in any real capacity. 

Cant play it if I cant really see whats happening because the zoom doesn't go far enough in.  =(
The only place which seems to be collecting info one spot at the moment is Kitfox Discord dwarf fortress bug reports. Hopefully bug tracker comes back up soon...

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 13, 2022, 04:10:33 am »

Is there any list of changes in the steam release? Even broad strokes is better that "there are too many changes to list".

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 13, 2022, 05:10:31 am »

Is there any list of changes in the steam release? Even broad strokes is better that "there are too many changes to list".
Changes to the raws are listed over in the mods forum.

Other than that, the interface was updated. Besides the way you actually get at everything the main things that changed there are the labour system (which replaces V-P-L with more of an auto-labour type of system - people who hate it will no doubt use Therapist as they always have done) and the military controls which have been simplified (but are missing some key functionality that hopefully we see back in a few patches time).

Also underground farming was nerfed (regular underground soil doesn't yield as much, soil in the caverns is good - so go explore the cavern).

Don't think anything else about the game actually changed. Besides rumours of additional Fun below. Though you'll have to find that for yourself.

Oh, Adventurer, arena and non-graphics mode will take a little while longer (and Legends is missing some bits and pieces, probably coming back soon - new hyperlinks interface is quite nice though).

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 13, 2022, 06:01:29 am »

Also in-game tutorials.
Changes to save games and modding.
legends mode improvements - adding tabs and hyperlinks.
And seem like many changes involving caves.

What else? Any mechanics changes or old bugs fixed?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 13, 2022, 07:00:30 am »

Also in-game tutorials.

I would try just playing it. There's no doubt all sorts of things changed under the surface. Bins and barrels bugs for one probably. Along with a whole load of new bugs.

"Too many to list" seems like the best description.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 13, 2022, 09:44:32 am »

Also in-game tutorials.

Agitation from treecutting, hunting, fishing and such making animals angry and aggressive.
Some sort of Hidden Fun Stuff.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 13, 2022, 12:28:47 pm »

...the main things that changed there are the labour system (which replaces V-P-L with more of an auto-labour type of system - people who hate it will no doubt use Therapist as they always have done)
...but, note, only once Therapist is actually retuned to the new internals it has to work with. (See the DT thread.)

I held off initially because buying the Premium on the day was going to be delayed gratification (not in a state to play, at that time, equipmentwise), then I realised that my schedule wouldn't let me slip into it, before the new year, without risking impacting so many other commitments (unless it really played so horribly that I wouldn't be tempted to be my usual absorbed self; I've had to really wean myself off pre-Pre versions at times!). But I think my criteria now includes, amongst other milestones of various desirabilities, that DT must be part of the deal (albeit the free, volunteer-built, part; unless Toady decides to invite Clément into the inner sanctum, and Clément accepts that invitation?).

...and the military controls which have been simplified (but are missing some key functionality that hopefully we see back in a few patches time).
Not sure about the ambiguity here. What changes are meant.

If it's the basic logistics (all the more recent equipping, calendar-based "call-up/training/civvie-street" stuff, and perhaps the decault patrol route assignments that I occasionally fall over with) then I'd like to see this sensibly simplified.

If it's the direct "send this unit to congregate here, read to engage with the enemy once I open the route to them" scenario then I'm wary there's much simplification there that would be sensible for my way of thinking. (Perhaps finally without the tendency ranged units standing behind fortifications, with a perfect view of a milling enemy, to randomly decide to climb over those defences and try to just go all bowhammer-dwarf on the now encircling forces? Without having to build anti-exit precautions, as well as anti-entry ones, to your fortifications.)

I guess I'll have to see it to believe it. And no doubt it's all on the route towards the anti-turtling measures the future game seems intended to go. (Much of my defensive gameplay already eschews the "one main door being locked when danger threatens" approach, with various alternate vetting/killing corridors, and I have long been braced to officially adopt counter-sapper and anti-sapper strategies (including remedial rebuilders being on short-term call) as they become required, perhaps even bringing back the whole Panopticon concept to my internals.)

But I'm currently talking of (personal) unknowns and mystery features, probably less informed than most in this thread who have already dived in and experienced the current reality. Basing my impressions off what I've seen reported, without pursuing every last detail (and counter-detail in rebuttal).

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 13, 2022, 03:09:51 pm »

https://kitfoxgames.notion.site/Dwarf-Fortress-Premium-Launch-Changelog-2300676dec054a518cc2f16e9401afed
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 13, 2022, 07:39:33 pm »

Thank you

DRY

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 16, 2022, 04:30:45 am »

Hello there! IM new in DF and here too, and while I was playing, I discovered a strange thing, and now I don't know if it's a mistake or I just don't understand something

I apologize in advance if I sent this to the wrong place
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 39