Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 39

Author Topic: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.11 Edition!)  (Read 412697 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.01 Edition!)
« Reply #525 on: July 19, 2023, 03:48:08 pm »

Hopefully humans and elves too, even if to less degree
Love, scriver~

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 19, 2023, 05:28:07 pm »

I find it curious to add the aesthetics of physiognomy to DF without any real underlying simulation. In some ways, this kind of thing reinforces the false notion that expression can be directly connected to one's character. What I mean is -  'resting bitch face' must not exist in this universe haha.

of course this is not direct criticism of the art. the faces are beautifully done and convey real emotion.

further exploration of historical perceptions of physiognomy (popular in the 1800's) if you are curious where I am coming from: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2020/08/17/face/

related to neurodivergent inclusivity and whatnot

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #527 on: July 20, 2023, 02:01:23 am »

I personally don't care much for the faces, but am really stoked about adventure mode. It is really what ties the game together. And who knows, maybe faces will do a lot for adventure mode, beyond what "the broad-nosed fisherdwarf" does. :)

kitfoxgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Premium Publisher
    • View Profile
    • Kitfox Games Website
« Reply #528 on: August 17, 2023, 01:17:10 pm »

Steam Community Update August 17 2023: Linux Mode, Reports and Gamescom news

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/3660916710568153375

Full text:

Hey Urists,

A short update this week as we prepare to  head to Germany for Gamescom. While art and audio and other developments for Adventure Mode continues, we also have two much-anticipated updates coming soon(ish) for Fortress Mode.

The Linux version is almost ready, and in about two weeks we will be looking for beta testers, after Tarn gets back from Germany... in fact, it's already on the beta branch!

A patch in the works will also soon give you the ability to view all reports, pausing when a new announcement is added, and viewing a particular creature’s reports.

I also heard rumors of giant animals, but those must be further off on the horizon. I guess I can already see them coming because they’re so big.

Kitfox will be at Gamescom this year with Dwarf Fortress, Caves of Qud and the soon-to-be-released Six Ages 2: Lights Going Out. Tarn Adams will be at the Kitfox booth from 2-4pm every day of the show to meet you! You can find us at booth 91 in the Indie Arena Booth. We can’t wait to meet you in person!

We are also hosting an after-party on Thursday August 24th from 6-10pm. Join us for an evening on the Rhine with food, drink and tavern tales among Urists. Meet Tarn and pixel artist Carolyn (ask her about procedural faces!). For tickets: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/dwarf-fortress-gamescom-after-party-tickets-694071375167?aff=oddtdtcreator

So that’s all for now, but you should be seeing another update real soon!

Alexandra

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 17, 2023, 05:27:54 pm »

in fact, it's already on the beta branch!

Hmmm.... I wonder if that means it's accessible....  I have a task for lunch today :-)

Edit: Of course I couldn't wait.  If anyone is interested: Yes, it's in the beta for Linux.  Make sure to turn off "force compatibility".  It works for me!  Wow, what a huge performance improvement!!!!  I was struggling keeping a 30 graphical FPS without melting my computer in Wine.  I upped it to 50 in the Linux version and was only at about 60% CPU.

Give that they want to start testing *in 2 weeks*,  please don't pester them with bugs yet.  So far (very quick try), no problems for me.  It was able to load my old game from the Windows version no problem.  The only problem I found was that in my tiling window manager on XWayland, if the window manager decided to change the window size, DF didn't always realise.  Switching from full screen and back to window again fixed it.  I'm excited to try this in pure Wayland mode to see if it works (I expect it will).

Great work!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 06:12:05 pm by mikekchar »

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 05, 2023, 02:20:09 pm »

Steam Community Update 5 September 2023: "Tarn is back in action! Almost there!"

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/3693569075491422858

Full text:

Tarn is back in action! Almost there!

Misfortunes aplenty, but still, a patch approaches

Hey folks!

Tarn is back from Germany and covid positive! Even a week later! Ouch! Thanks to all of you who visited Tarn at Gamescom. Despite the illness, it was rejuvenating to meet a continent of fans and watch people build succession forts at the booth. Putnam continues tinkering and improving, but in terrible luck, Tarn & Zach are also dealing with a family emergency that unfortunately continues to worsen.

But the good news is that a patch is incoming, as promised, just a bit behind schedule. Tarn is back at work, mostly recovered, fixing bugs and implementing some new graphics you should be able to see by early next week at the latest.

Stay safe and vaccinated!

Kitfox & Bay 12
Team Bug Fix!

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 12, 2023, 03:14:42 pm »

Steam Community Update 12 September 2023: "Beta Branch Patch Notes v50.10 Fixes for some of your most requested issues!"

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/3693570314255962426

Full text:

Beta Branch Patch Notes v50.10 (Sept. 12 2023)
Fixes for some of your most requested issues!
Hi Urists,

We have an update to the beta branch with some of your most requested fixes including the ability to view all alerts and a fix for archer ammo. You can look at your old alerts now, and you can also view combat history from a creature's sheet and advance through it one step at a time if a combat is active.

Ammo should work if you've made custom uniforms for archers now. Soldiers shouldn't hoard rotten food in their rooms. Lots of crash fixes and some more optimization. There's also a potential fix for dwarves being stuck in trees but it needs more testing to see how effective it is. All of the following updates are going on beta first so we can figure out what kind of problems will arise before we move over to the main branch.

Thank you to everyone for being so patient with us as we get back to full strength!

New stuff

* Can view all alerts, including old ones that have been dismissed
    * Can view combat reports from creature sheets
    * Can pause combat reports whenever new events are added
    * Added crash logging

Major bug fixes

* Fixed crash from removing zone with assigned unit
    * Fixed multithreading crash related to announcements
    * Fixed a potential crash issue with monarch arrival and made them provide more wagons properly
    * Fixed potential crash related to certain traveling creatures
    * Ammo assignments are updated properly when changing uniforms
    * Removed ownership of food items whenever they are dropped (stops rotten food hoarding in rooms)

Graphics additions/changes

* New stone ramp graphics

Other bug fixes/tweaks

* Made creatures more able to get out of trees
    * Sped up mid-level map retrieval (helps slowdowns on large world embarks)
    * Optimized relationship lookup for socializing dwarves
    * Fixed out of bounds issue with wheelbarrows
    * Stopped music mods from throwing error when making a new world
    * Fixed crash when there's an invalid language (mods)
    * Made broker leave depot when last wagon leaves instead of first
Team Bug Fix!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 12, 2023, 07:20:55 pm »

Very glad to see some of these fixes and I'll give the beta a shot in the next few days.  I saw some people saying there were crashes when viewing message logs on Linux, so I'm curious if that happens on Windows too.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

DenBjornen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 12, 2023, 11:23:52 pm »

It is really nice to see pressing issues being addressed, but I really miss having civilian alerts. It seems like such a baseline feature that nearly every longtime player used. I know the loss of the UI had to do with the military menu being chopped into the current squad menu. At this rate, it looks like the UI won't be re-implemented until the next re-work of the military menus.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.10 Edition!)
« Reply #534 on: September 19, 2023, 02:58:26 pm »

Steam Community Update 19 September 2023: "50.10 now live: Alerts, ammo, food, and Linux"

Full text:

50.10 now live: Alerts, ammo, food, and Linux
Plus a bit of Adventure Mode insider info...
Here's the long-awaited 50.10! The game is now available for Linux, and this patch has some needed updates, like the ability to look at old alerts, ammo that works when uniforms are changed, and soldiers that don't hoard rotten food in their rooms.

We're going to continue now on parallel tracks. The main work will be on adventure mode. There should be more to show there soon as we get the site travel images in place and get the character running around the world again. Putnam has been working on some interface changes that should allow us to more support the keyboard/mouse interface options as we go, which I know is concerning for some people. It has taken longer than we expected to get the ball rolling generally on adventure mode, but the time ahead is clear now and we're optimistic it'll go smoothly.

We've also got more work to do back in fort mode. Some form of the full ammunition control system needs to come back for instance - we'll continue with patches like this one as we go.

As some of you might have seen on beta, here are the full patch notes:

New stuff

Can view all alerts, including old ones that have been dismissed
    Can view combat reports from creature sheets
    Can pause combat reports whenever new events are added
    Added crash logging
    Can now play the game on Linux

Major bug fixes

Fixed crash from removing zone with assigned unit
    Fixed multithreading crash related to announcements
    Fixed a potential crash issue with monarch arrival and made them provide more wagons properly
    Fixed potential crash related to certain traveling creatures
    Ammo assignments are updated properly when changing uniforms
    Removed ownership of food items whenever they are dropped (stops rotten food hoarding in rooms)

Graphics additions/changes

New stone ramp graphics

Other bug fixes/tweaks

Made creatures more able to get out of trees
    Sped up mid-level map retrieval (helps slowdowns on large world embarks)
    Optimized relationship lookup for socializing dwarves
    Fixed out of bounds issue with wheelbarrows
    Stopped music mods from throwing error when making a new world
    Fixed crash when there's an invalid language (mods)
    Made broker leave depot when last wagon leaves instead of first

Have fun!
Tarn and Zach

P.S. from Kitfox:
Although Tarn had covid and sadly had to miss it, the procedural generation panel we organized at PAX West features three game designers discussing various Dwarf Fortress systems and others. It's insightful and brilliant! Watch it here on YouTube, though I'll warn the visuals aren't very compelling, so maybe think of it more like a podcast. Enjoy!

Team Bug Fix!

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 24, 2023, 08:54:42 pm »

Are you going to start on the map rewrite as soon as you've finished adventurer mode, or do you plan on working on other stuff first?

Have you already worked out most of what you're going up do for the map rewrite, and only need to implement it, or are you going to figure it out as you go?

Won't the rewrite break a bunch of stuff with existing proc gen of sites?
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 24, 2023, 09:57:18 pm »

You should ask your questions in the future of the fortress thread, not here. They probably won't get acknowledged here
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.11 Edition!)
« Reply #537 on: October 03, 2023, 12:25:31 pm »

Steam Community Update 3 October 2023: "Fixes for Linux and Tutorial- Patch Notes for 50.11 (October 3, 2023)" 

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/3753244909556346261?l=english

Full text:

Fixes for Linux and Tutorial- Patch Notes for 50.11 (October 3, 2023)
Hey Urists,

We have a quick patch update today with fixes for Linux Mode, the tutorial and more. We will be posting a big update this week with a new roadmap for Adventure Mode and updated FAQ so stay tuned for that!

Release notes for 50.11 (October 3, 2023):

Major bug fixes

Fixed crash on linux related to game log threading
    Fixed broken tutorial on click workshop step
    Stopped tutorial prompt in tiny worlds where tutorial is invalid
    Cleaned up a source of squad schedule corruption
    Made classic graphics setting work properly on restart (hopefully for real this time!)

Other bug fixes/tweaks

Fixed potential problem with doctors vs. multiple hospitals
    Ballista arrows etc. that chop down trees now count for treecap diplomacy
    Image sets with non-uniform types now properly display as having a variety of types
    Generic improvements now properly display "made a masterful improvement" in histories
    Allowed single pair dances to generate properly
    Fixed potential minor oddity involving animal placement

-Alexandra
Team Bug Fix!

kitfoxgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Premium Publisher
    • View Profile
    • Kitfox Games Website
« Reply #538 on: October 04, 2023, 02:26:11 pm »

Steam Community Update 4 October 2023: "Adventure Mode Roadmap 🗺 Dwarf Fortress Dev Update"

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/3753244942577557600

Full text:

Hello!

We are here with a brand-new development roadmap outlining our plans for Adventure Mode and updates to Fortress Mode. Please keep in mind these are estimates. We do have a date in mind but we’re not quite confident enough to announce it yet. All we can say right now is “not this year”, but hopefully we’ll have more specifics soon. We know you’ve been waiting patiently, and we are working hard.

We will be building on the Adventure Mode framework that already exists. This is exciting because everything is working as intended and we “just” need to add the interface and graphics, which will take us some months.

Here’s the plan for how we get to Adventure Mode release, hopefully not-too-late next year:

To Start

First, the basics, which will let us actually see what’s going on at all in the new art style.
  • Travel map - we have the world map, but sites need hundreds of sprites to match up with the ASCII that shows individual streets etc. We’ll be iterating on this until launch.
    Main interface layout - similar to Fortress Mode, there are tile-based actions, information menus, and other actions like travel. There’s also a day-night cycle and we’ll have a minimap this time around.
    Procedural portraits - we need to implement Carolyn’s great portraits for the humans/elves/dwarves/goblins/kobolds, and also get animal people displayed. Every animal person!

Once we have this framework, we’ll just start doing the actions and menus one at a time. Full keyboard and full mouse support for all play styles. Actions are challenging because they can be initiated by clicking the play area, through buttons and hot keys, or by accessing a full list. There must be several ways to perform the same action based on context, play style, and input method. Can you guess what the buttons below do?

Major Features

These are the biggest-risk items, each of which hopefully isn’t more than a few weeks, but it’s hard to say since they each have multiple sub-systems and open design questions to be solved between code and art.

•     Inventory - equipping items and containers are the trickiest parts here. You can wear multiple shirts and nest containers as deep as you like, and the new interface will have to handle this with both keyboard and mouse support.
        Combat (striking and wrestling) - wrestling will be a bit of a doozy, as there’s a lot of physical/anatomical complexity that we’re not sure how best to communicate
        Conversations - this includes supporting the current Adventure Mode system of interleaving speech and actions, and having three or more participants in conversations
        Character generator - you can make a whole party in Adventure Mode and the character creation options are complex. We have to update this system.

More!

These are individually much less complicated and risky than the above, but still have lots of little fiddly bits to keep us busy.
  •     Status screens - wounds, skills, needs etc. There is a lot of information about every character, similar to the dwarf sheets in Fortress Mode.
        Journal screen (quests and knowledge) - we may integrate this with Legends Mode because they are very similar.
        Crafting and other powers - Adventure Mode is highly moddable and we need to support vast menus of magical powers and other abilities. Pet any animal!
        Various small menus/actions (“widgets”) - stealth, movement, tracking, odors, party controls, combat options, etc.
        Audio integration - the audio designers are working in parallel with us and we’ll be adding a whole new soundscape for Adventure Mode

Cabin building wasn’t properly feature-rich in the classic Adventure Mode. We’d love to expand on it, but it’s definitely more optional to the Adventure Mode experience than the above features and systems. We have the new Fortress Mode interface which will help a lot, but we may do it after launch if it becomes too complicated.

Ongoing Fortress Work

Work on Fortress Mode will continue in parallel with Adventure Mode. We’re reading the bug tracker and also have some content ideas which will complement Adventure Mode well. More on this later!

FAQ

Q: Will the game be localized/translated to my language?

It is difficult due to the procedural sentence constructions used throughout the game. Our best suggestion at this time is to use auto-translation tools for text on screen, which has been helping some users. We are investigating translation options behind the scenes but it’s very early stages.

Q: How can I report a bug?

You can track and report bugs on our MantisHub: https://kitfoxgames.notion.site/How-to-Report-Bugs-in-Dwarf-Fortress-b5e2ca19dabe408897d1c2669599b7a2

We know that this system isn’t working very well for our helpful bug wranglers though, so we’re looking into rolling back into the old system soon, in the hopes that we can rejuvenate the bug-hunting community like days of yore. We have double the code resources that we used to, but also ten times the bug reporters, so we’re still finding our feet to figure out how best to maximize this power. Please be patient.

Q: What about the Mac version?

Because of all the work that needs to be done for Adventure Mode, we won’t be able to start development on the Mac version until after its release, at the earliest.

Q: When are Steam Achievements coming?

We will consider implementing this after Adventure Mode. Several of the achievements will likely link the two modes together so it’s best to have these systems in place. The main problem with Achievements is that they also need to be a new ‘living’ system alongside all of the other features, and we’re not sure it’s a good idea for people to feel they have “100%ed” the game based on what’s essentially an arbitrary list of tasks. We’re considering it, but haven’t decided yet, and will come back to the topic after Adventure Mode.

-Kitfox Games + Bay 12 Games

BlueManedHawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Does you is not can the have the yet what do it be
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 04, 2023, 02:39:46 pm »

I can completely understand the hesitancy towards achievements in a sandbox game risking making the game finite to players, and would be thoroughly okay with their absence.

How do i use sigtext properly?
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 39