Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39

Author Topic: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.11 Edition!)  (Read 412566 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.11 Edition!)
« Reply #555 on: January 25, 2024, 04:50:14 pm »

Combat animations are pretty unexpected, but welcome.  I'm curious if those will make it to fort mode too or if they'll be an adventure mode exclusive feature.  I could see how it might get overwhelming or confusing in fort mode.

I'm wondering if the animation will be divided into frames based on how close to finishing an attack it is, since attacks take a few frames to land
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

toradrow777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (0.47.05 Edition!)
« Reply #556 on: January 30, 2024, 06:41:19 pm »

Before the same speculations pop up as on Reddit:

- I added uncredited art in my private tileset in 2016/17. Back then I didn't knew better, it was the first time working with sprites. I came from modding, I was more interested in actually putting pictures in the game using TWBT and dfhack, not drawing pictures myself.

- Over the years I learned about licencing and starting taking it more serious; I also started drawing my own sprites.

- I then got hired by Kitfox to work on the Steam release. They initially wanted to use my tileset as the base, but I told them that's not possible because a lot of sprites are from other sources.

- We then decided to start a new tileset from scratch, with Mike as the designer and me mostly doing variations/edits of his sprites and working out the intricacies of where to add which sprites, how to display ingame info, etc. Things I'm used from modding.

- Mike ended up having far less time than expected, so I had to step up and draw original sprites too.

- Vettlingr stumbled over my copyright violations from 2016/17 in my private set and very publically alerted both me and Kitfox about it.

- I took my personal tileset down and Kitfox convened with their laweyrs about what to do. The safest course of action for the Steam release is to distance themself from me, so my contract was terminated and all original artwork I did for them removed. They will probably keep the edits I did of Mikes sprites.

The situations sucks for everyone involved, but please refrain from attacking anyone, be it vettlingr, Kitfox or me. Vettlingr did something right, just in a rather blunt way. Kitfox acts like a responsible business, just a tad bit inpersonal. And I did something wrong, and now I'll carry the consequences, which is fair.

I know that Tarn is still working on the UI and I foresee a lot of time for optimization in that regard, because the UI is, as everyone here knows, not the strong suit of DF. In the meantime Kitfox is asking around other community artists that might replace me and help Mike finish what was started.

I myself will take a break from DF, since I can't work on the Steam release any longer; my own project of the last 5 years imploded; and working on a new community tileset with all the insider knowledge I have of the Steam release would be... odd? Unfair? I'm not sure.

I'll answer Rekovs questions for now, but I probably won't be around here much, so please don't send more my way. I'm not even sure what Kitfox thinks about me posting those answers.

Did Kitfox fire Meph for something he did in a free tileset several years ago?
Yep.
Or did Kitfox fire Meph for doing something in the present, while working on a paid project?
Nope.
Why is this content being reworked? Was it of questionable provenance, as before? Or was it merely unfinished content?
To be extra safe. Technically I am a "questionable provenance" from their point of view.
Will Kitfox be redoing all of Meph's work so far, or merely some? In other words, are they willing to take his work, but just not him?
As far as I know, they plan to redo the original sprites I did; they plan to keep the edits/variations I did based on Mikes sprites. I have no idea what happens with the replaced sprites, but I assume that they will never see the light of day. Would be cool to see them as community assetts for non-commercial tilesets in future, but I don't expect that to happen.

I don't know if you've answered this yet, but are you ever going to come back to the mod, or are you going to let the modding community continue the project instead?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 30, 2024, 07:35:31 pm »

Not the intended recipient but...let me answer your question with a question: why are you asking this here of all places?
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

kitfoxgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Premium Publisher
    • View Profile
    • Kitfox Games Website
« Reply #558 on: February 22, 2024, 02:40:47 pm »

Steam Community Update 22 February 2024: "Adventure Mode Combat Demo Video ⛏ Dwarf Fortress Dev News"

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/4163085355271096006

Full text:

Hey Urists!

It's Alexandra here from Kitfox with a long-awaited video update from Tarn! It's our first footage of Adventure Mode and you will see combat, the new dialogue system and a few menus in action. I don't want to give too much away so just watch for yourself: https://youtu.be/Tik2DmKCxbk

In the video you can hear some ambient sounds, but there are still many more sound effects we are adding to the game so it's very much a work in progress! We will have another update coming soon with patch 50.12 which is still in beta right now. We needed just a bit more time to squash all the bugs!

Discuss the video with your fellow ursists on the Kitfox Discord: https://discord.gg/kitfoxgames

- Alexandra

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 22, 2024, 07:30:21 pm »

This is all very nice looking as of now. A bit odd to see conversations and combat announcements way up at the top of the screen where special announcements used to be, but I guess that's not especially important

Also a bit odd thing I noticed - the wombat man's portrait doesn't display the generic robe their tile-sprite does. They also don't display their inventory items, but I understand sprites for all for animal people that won't be in the first release. Expected their portrait to just have the same robe though.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 07:34:08 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

kitfoxgames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kitfox Games Website
« Reply #560 on: March 06, 2024, 02:58:35 pm »

Steam Community Update 6 March 2024: "Adventure Mode Launch Plans and patch 50.12"

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/4136064865380703752

Full text:

Hi Urists,

We are less than a month away from April, which means Adventure Mode launch is just around the corner. Time flies when you’re developing FUN! We wanted to share our launch plans with you as they will be a little different from what we did with Fortress Mode.

The beta for Adventure Mode will open on April 17th (Tarn’s birthday!). Anyone who owns Dwarf Fortress on Steam will be able to access the beta. Adventure Mode will fully launch a few weeks later on the main branch. We will be announcing the official release date as soon as we can.

We hope that this will give the proper time to iron out major bugs, while giving you a chance to play right away.

Patch 50.12

After a few extra weeks of beta testing, patch 50.12 is finally live! Thank you to everyone who tested the update and sent in bug reports, it was very helpful. This patch brings many improvements to sorting and searching in the menus as well as a ton of bug fixes and additional keyboard support. Llamas have also (finally) achieved the status of pack animal. Here are the full patch notes:

New stuff

- Ability to sort the lists from the creature/task menus
- Kitchen interface sorting and searching
- Work detail sorting and searching
- Can edit and restore default work details
- Saves can be sorted by world and folder on the title screen
- Keyboard support for many unit lists
- Ability to designate burrows over multiple Z levels

Major bug fixes

- Additional statue graphics- Fixed some classic building interface lights

Other bug fixes/tweaks

- Squad assignment now lists already assigned units last
- Fixed error in calculation of bridge support
- Fixed issue in how environment-appropriate work animals are selected for visiting fortress
- Fixed missing autopause tooltip
- Additional miscellanous optimizations
- Fixed minor issue with forest variant display
- Fixed clipping issue on unit sheets
- Fixed minor issue with cage contents display
- Fixed pet list display on unit sheet rarely skipping a pet- Llamas are pack animals now

There will be lots more Adventure Mode news coming in the coming weeks, including a part 2 of the combat video from last time.

-Alexandra + Bay 12

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 06, 2024, 05:02:03 pm »

(Boring bugfixes. THIS IS SPART...*cough* DF! We expect bugfixes to be something like "Giant iguanas with [EXOTIC_PET] tag active no longer prefer to eat built anvils, topple related workshops." And the major bugfixes even more so.)

:P

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #562 on: March 07, 2024, 08:33:57 am »

(Boring bugfixes. THIS IS SPART...*cough* DF! We expect bugfixes to be something like "Giant iguanas with [EXOTIC_PET] tag active no longer prefer to eat built anvils, topple related workshops." And the major bugfixes even more so.)

:P
On the bright side, two of the fixed "minor" bugs (bridge support + work animals) were over 15 years old (i.e. they were present all the way back in 40d), so it's good that they're taking care of those problems too.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Yone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 16, 2024, 11:04:48 pm »

I just bought the Steam version and I'm really liking it so far. The art, music, and sound effects add a lot to the game. And overall I think the new UI is an improvement (I'd already played a bit of the Classic 50.xx versions).

Though it's still kind of weird playing with native non-ASCII graphics and full mouse support. Like DF from an alternate reality.

kitfoxgames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kitfox Games Website
« Reply #564 on: March 27, 2024, 01:10:47 pm »

Steam Community Update 27 March 2024: "Adventure Mode Combat part 2, Music and Art Update ⛏ Dwarf Fortress Dev News"

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/4183354561034471004

Full text:

Hey Urists,

It’s Alexandra from Kitfox here with a community update as well as some more Adventure Mode footage. Only a few more weeks till the Adventure Mode beta launches on April 17th! We know it's been a long wait, but we can't wait for everyone to start testing it out for yourself. Tarn made a bonus video showing the conclusion to the fight that was in the previous update. If you missed it, you can watch part 1 here: https://youtu.be/Tik2DmKCxbk

In these videos you can see the combat and conversation systems in action. Will the goblins prevail? Where did the wombatman go? Watch to find out: https://youtu.be/w4FKSepDVLA

Art Update

Artist Thea has been working on new art for the Adventure Mode beta screen! We don’t want to reveal it quite yet, but can you guess what’s depicted?

https://clan.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/images//34693670/52b413931c5bead065d7598ab810a5b3d258d773.png

Carolyn has also been creating every kind of clothing ever for the procedural portraits. Here is another series of masks, veils and head coverings.

https://clan.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/images//34693670/925fd7219ccbd18857353bd13685e2e2ec0f0928.png

Adventure Mode Soundtrack Single

We are going to be releasing a single off the brand new Adventure Mode soundtrack by Simon & Dabu. The music is going to be a bit different from the Fortress Mode soundtrack because it will capture the feeling of what’s it will be like to explore your vast, generated world. You can look forward to that in the next update.

EU Merch

Exciting news for European Urists! The folks at FanGamer EU have updated the store with apparel: https://www.fangamer.eu/collections/dwarf-fortress?utm_campaign=promo24&utm_source=partner It's always good to have extra shirts and coats for when yours decay.

https://clan.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/images//34693670/09a6ed51c8dd607a9cbd3261247390139d5d4fd8.png

We are going to be posting a few more updates before beta launch, so you’ll be hearing from us again soon!

-Alexandra + Bay 12

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 27, 2024, 07:47:41 pm »

Looks like you've accidentally put the images in [url] tags rather than [img] tags.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: April 17, 2024, 09:29:16 am »

Did some dev blog posts get deleted? I could have sworn there were updates from March but now all I see is a post from March 6th saying 50.12 was released.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: April 17, 2024, 09:53:42 am »

The community sections of steam seem to be down, not just the B12 one either. It might be related.
Edit: Oops you mean the bay12 site. I'm not sure what was there
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 09:56:34 am by Bralbaard »

kitfoxgames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kitfox Games Website
« Reply #568 on: April 17, 2024, 11:29:27 am »

Steam Community Update 17 April 2024: "Adventure Mode Beta Launch🗺️ Dwarf Fortress Dev News"

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/4186734162819864096

Full text:

It’s time to venture outside your fortress!

The beta for Adventure Mode is now live on Steam. Create a character and freely roam the rich simulated world you have made a home in during your Fortress Mode save or start fresh in a newly generated world. Watch the beta announcement trailer:

https://youtu.be/dX2gnya3eH4

If you already own Dwarf Fortress on Steam, you will be able to play the beta. To access the beta, right click Dwarf Fortress in your Steam library -> Properties -> Betas -> dropdown list and select  "beta - Public beta branch”.  No password needed. Steam should automatically begin downloading the beta!

There’s also the whole new original soundtrack: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2937200/Dwarf_Fortress_Soundtrack_2_Adventure/ releasing very soon, with an hour of music from good old Dabu and Simon Swerwer, together again. You can even get a 10% discount on it and the other OST, if you already own the base game. The soundtrack is also available on:

🎶Bandcamp: bit.ly/4cXhR4r
🎶Youtube: bit.ly/440xljS
🎶Spotify: bit.ly/3Ul0DGV
🎶Apple Music: bit.ly/4aSep9X

Note that although you will hear versions of these songs in the game, the dynamic music system Adventure Mode uses means that the OST is the only way to reliably hear these exact compositions, as ‘baked’ by the composers.

Keep in mind this is very much a beta and still in active development. There are features from Classic Adventure Mode and planned new features that have not made their way to the Steam version yet. We will be updating the beta frequently with hotfixes, new menus, audio and art as well as fixing the inevitable bugs. Please send in your reports.

Want to discuss the beta and all your Adventure Mode trials and tribulations? Join us on the df-adventure channel on the Kitfox Discord: https://discord.gg/kitfoxgames

FAQ

How do I report bugs?
Please report bugs using the normal methods at https://dwarffortressbugtracker.com/

What’s the difference between Easy mode and Demigod mode?
Easy mode, which is available now in the beta gives you more skill points in character creation to make your party stronger. Demigod mode, which is still in progress and not in the beta right now will add tutorialization and worldbuilding.

What about my save files?
Old save files are compatible and you shouldn't lose anything.

Will the new portraits be in Fortress Mode?
They aren’t in right now, but they will be soon!

Will the new music from the Adventure Mode soundtrack appear in Fortress Mode? What about ambiance?
New ambiance and music will not be in Fortress mode for now. Hopefully someday!

Where can I get more info about what's in and what's missing from Classic Adventure Mode?
Tarn and Zach are preparing a devlog for the Bay 12 blog, so keep an eye out over there if you’re interested in diving into the rich underbelly of details.

Happy Adventuring!

-Kitfox + Bay12

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: April 17, 2024, 04:45:51 pm »

Did some dev blog posts get deleted? I could have sworn there were updates from March but now all I see is a post from March 6th saying 50.12 was released.

Pretty sure the forums going down caused dev blog to be skipped? IIRC, he missed a FotF even before it went down (probably due to adv mode work.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39